PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons

rwcescato
07-08-2005, 01:00 AM
I wonder what Mr. peter Gammons is wondering tonight. Less than 1 week ago he said the flubs are the most dangerous team in the NL. Of course the old adage if the flubs played in a short series that there pitching staff would be scary. The Experts are still so inlove with there team that they ranked them #7 in all of baseball. Just maybe they should be ranked #1 after losing there last 8 games. Am I missing something about this season so far. You guys can wake me from my dream in November when its over.
GO YOU WHITE SOX !!!
Rich:supernana:

SOXfnNlansing
07-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Grant Park is pretty chilly in late October:bandance:

balke
07-08-2005, 01:12 AM
They remind me of the Sox last season without Frank or maggs. Its painful watching everyone swing for the fences every at-bat, and having noone on the team that can bunt or get on base while the bullpen is a big blunder, and the starting staff is an anamoly. They are a feast or famine team with DLee, Burnitz, and Ramirez. Either they'll score 8 or under 2. Right now, lots of 2 and unders.

Vernam
07-08-2005, 01:28 AM
On BBTN, he just talked about the two "wonderful" kids they've brought up from Double-A. (Not to be picky, but DooBoys was also a wonderful kid until recently.) I don't share a lot of people's anger with Gammons, but sheesh: They drop a doubleheader but still get praised, even as they demote their supposed can't-miss CF? I took satisfaction that at least the Flubs weren't listed in BBTN's NL wild card standings -- at least some behind the scenes grunt at ESPN has his head where there's still daylight.

VC

halfpricemonday
07-08-2005, 02:20 AM

That's okay. The parade up Michigan Ave from 35th will get our blood flowing.

TDog
07-08-2005, 04:03 AM
... Of course the old adage if the flubs played in a short series that there pitching staff would be scary...

Does it sound like gloating to suggest that a series might have to be less short than four games for the Cubs to win in Atlanta this year?

MrRoboto83
07-08-2005, 04:23 AM
The Flubs do remind me of last years Sox. The Sox went into terrible offensive funks and long losing streaks happened. Remember the "Come On Timo, Come On Timo" call was cause we had lost a bunch of games in a row.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2005, 07:45 AM
That's okay. The parade up Michigan Ave from 35th will get our blood flowing.

Screw Grant Park. The parade should be down LSD, to 35th, then over to the Cell. In the north parking lot.

Spicoli
07-08-2005, 09:04 AM
On BBTN, he just talked about the two "wonderful" kids they've brought up from Double-A. (Not to be picky, but DooBoys was also a wonderful kid until recently.) I don't share a lot of people's anger with Gammons, but sheesh: They drop a doubleheader but still get praised, even as they demote their supposed can't-miss CF? I took satisfaction that at least the Flubs weren't listed in BBTN's NL wild card standings -- at least some behind the scenes grunt at ESPN has his head where there's still daylight.

VC

It should be clear to everyone by now, ESPN's job, like most media in our current milieu, is not to good sports reporting. Their job is to create hype and to market sports. Like good marketers, they target their biggest audiences, knowing they will maximize the potential to turn a profit. Last year ESPN made so much money from the Red Sox. The cubs and Yankees also make them a lot of money. If some other team eventually wins (e.g., the Marlins), then they jump on the bandwagon at the last minute to recover their losses. They will never become unbiased reporters, they are paid talking heads, there to peddle their product. Their success is measured by how many people continue to believe in the mirage that they are a sports news agency. Stop believing.

Hitmen77
07-08-2005, 09:26 AM
I wonder what Mr. peter Gammons is wondering tonight. Less than 1 week ago he said the flubs are the most dangerous team in the NL. Of course the old adage if the flubs played in a short series that there pitching staff would be scary. The Experts are still so inlove with there team that they ranked them #7 in all of baseball. Just maybe they should be ranked #1 after losing there last 8 games. Am I missing something about this season so far. You guys can wake me from my dream in November when its over.
GO YOU WHITE SOX !!!
Rich:supernana:

How can they cling to that old adage when Maddux and Wood have ERAs above 5.00? ESPN, Bob Costas...all those network boobs are just full of s***. All they care about are the few teams that they perceive will bring them better ratings.

34rancher
07-08-2005, 10:29 AM
How is this, as of two weeks ago in Vegas....
Odds of winning the World Series:
Sox 5-1
Cubs 3-1

GO figure....

Iwritecode
07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
How is this, as of two weeks ago in Vegas....
Odds of winning the World Series:
Sox 5-1
Cubs 3-1

GO figure....

That because they go by what teams people are betting on. Not actual standings.

There's a LOT of eternal optimists gulping the cubbie kool-aid this year still...

:bluerock

tebman
07-08-2005, 10:52 AM
It should be clear to everyone by now, ESPN's job, like most media in our current milieu, is not to good sports reporting. Their job is to create hype and to market sports. Like good marketers, they target their biggest audiences, knowing they will maximize the potential to turn a profit. Last year ESPN made so much money from the Red Sox. The cubs and Yankees also make them a lot of money. If some other team eventually wins (e.g., the Marlins), then they jump on the bandwagon at the last minute to recover their losses. They will never become unbiased reporters, they are paid talking heads, there to peddle their product. Their success is measured by how many people continue to believe in the mirage that they are a sports news agency. Stop believing.
:thumbsup: Nice summary. It's showbiz -- it's all about the hype, and it's easier to hype New York and Boston because there are more people with more money there.

The Sox just need to keep on winning. :yup:

Kogs35
07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
in gammons we trust
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/1210/gammons0uv.jpg

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 11:07 AM
The Flubs do remind me of last years Sox. The Sox went into terrible offensive funks and long losing streaks happened. Remember the "Come On Timo, Come On Timo" call was cause we had lost a bunch of games in a row.

The "come on,Timo" call was the day after Shingo gave up a 3 run HR
to Matt Lawton,a former Tribesman.It was a Saturday night game,and I
was in no mood for a fireworks show.I waited in the parking lot while my
friend enjoyed the fireworks.I was ticked!!"Come on,Timo" was a Sunday
afternoon game.That game ("Come On,Timo!!") did end a losing streak.

The 2005 sCrUBS remind me of the Sox teams of 2001,2002,2003
and 2004.Sit back and wait for the 3 run HR.The problem is,what
do you do when the 3 run HR is elusive?? You go into long
losing streaks,that's what you do.:D: :D: :D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 11:13 AM

I watched Bartolo Colon get his ass handed to him by Gil Meche and the
Mariners 2 years ago on a Sunday night ESPN game.The game went 5 innings
because of a driving rain storm. My friend and I stayed for the entire game.
We've also waited in the cold at 6 AM for 2000 playoff tickets.

I don't care how chilly it is.Winning the WS would keep me warm.

TDog
07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I watched Bartolo Colon get his ass handed to him by Jamie Moyer and the
Mariners 2 years ago on a Sunday night ESPN game.The game went 5 innings
because of a driving rain storm. My friend and I stayed for the entire game.
We've also waited in the cold at 6 AM for 2000 playoff tickets.

I don't care how chilly it is.Winning the WS would keep me warm.

Colon lost to the Mariners, 5-1, on May 3, 2003, in a game called in the top of the sixth. He was hit hard. Before game time, I got a seat in the first row of the leftfield bleachers, and felt cheated in a variety of ways by the short game and poor showing of my team.

But it wasn't Moyer who limited the Sox to just a single run in what would be their last at bat.

It was Gil Meche.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Why does Andrew Jackson's messed up hair make him look like Gammons?? :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Colon lost to the Mariners, 5-1, on May 3, 2003, in a game called in the top of the sixth. He was hit hard. Before game time, I got a seat in the first row of the leftfield bleachers, and felt cheated in a variety of ways by the short game and poor showing of my team.

But it wasn't Moyer who limited the Sox to just a single run in what would be their last at bat.

It was Gil Meche.

Sorry.I'll correct it.My friend and I sat in the upper deck area
of the BP bar the entire game.Thank God I brought an umbrella.

santo=dorf
07-08-2005, 01:07 PM

VC

Murton used to be in the Red Sox farm system, and he mentioned that the other kid was from CT.

I was shocked that he didn't mention the Sox as one of the top 3 "achieving past expectations" (Nationals, Braves, and Indians :?: ,) but he did mention the Twins as one of the top 3 underachieving teams. Well he did predict them to win the World Series. How's that prediction looking now Peter?

:boston
"Bah!"