PDA

View Full Version : no baseball in 2012 olympics

sthbndsox
07-07-2005, 11:27 PM
according to ESPN.com, there was a secret vote, and baseball and softball were dropped from the 2012 olympic cames in London. the possible replacements are golf, rugby, squash, karate, and roller sports.

i dont know about any of you, but some of these replacements sound like jokes to me...

I_Liked_Manuel
07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
the only replacement that doesn't sound like a joke is rugby

chisoxfan23
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
according to ESPN.com, there was a secret vote, and baseball and softball were dropped from the 2012 olympic cames in London. the possible replacements are golf, rugby, squash, karate, and roller sports.

i dont know about any of you, but some of these replacements sound like jokes to me...

Do the "roller sports" include roller derby?

SaltyPretzel
07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Do the "roller sports" include roller derby?

Maybe Rollerball.

http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/221/221536.jpg

Kogs35
07-07-2005, 11:58 PM
no 1 will really care until 2008 after those olympics these topics and debates will come back.

ChiSoxRowand
07-08-2005, 12:08 AM
This doesn't really suprise me. Most of the voters are probably from Europe and they don't play baseball in Europe.

TDog
07-08-2005, 12:13 AM
The only sport I care about is baseball, but I don't think baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer etc. even belong in the Olympics.

Rocklive99
07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
This was a joke when I thought of some of the events they currently have about it, but then I thought about it, and I don't really specifically follow the Olympics anyways. You get the big hype when the event starts, and then, time to change the channel. Soccer and hockey have been okay on it, but it's not like the stars participate in the baseball league, and I'm guessing most of the fans baseball has gives 2 craps about the olympics.

Banix12
07-08-2005, 12:59 AM
I understand this. Baseball and Softball actually has a limited world appeal outside of the Americas and the Far East. In the european nations that make up a lot of the countries in the olympics, they could care less.

I would also say that olympic baseball isn't really any good to watch anyway. It's kinda fun to see your minor league prospects play on an international stage but other than that the only real interest is in seeing if any of the Cubans defect and of course watching former Brewer Dave Nilsson lead the Austrailian team to almost certain defeat against Chinese Taipei.

Softball is actually probably a bigger loss than baseball at least from a US standpoint, as that is usually one of the United States' guaranteed gold medals.

I so hope they replace it with Rugby. The Olympics needs more violent contact sports.

Irishsoxfan
07-08-2005, 01:47 AM
While I can see that this does not have a major effect on you guys, not having Baseball in the Olympics will remove a source of income and assistance that has been available to our Federation. This makes our job, developing the sport in Ireland, that much harder.

NSSoxFan
07-08-2005, 02:58 AM
Good ridance.

I got the chance to go to the Games this past summer and I watched a couple of the baseball games. The most notable one was Greece vs. Cuba. I fully expected a blowout on the part of Cuba, but they only squeaked out a 4-3 victory. During the game there was a foul ball and the person who caught it threw it back on the field. Right after, they put a message on the scoreboard that you can keep any ball that goes into the stands.

:roflmao:

Spicoli
07-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Mostly will hurt the Cubans as this was their stage to show their talent to the rest of the world, especially the U.S. I also think this sucks for women's softball as it was a chance for them to showcase their athleticism too.

Also, with Bud's idea of a World Baseball Tournament coming to fruition, which I dislike, that may have factored into their voting. I am content with a complete MLB season, year in and year out. I don't care to have nationalism mixed in with baseball and I don't want players getting hurt playing for team Japan, etc.

TornLabrum
07-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Good ridance.

I got the chance to go to the Games this past summer and I watched a couple of the baseball games. The most notable one was Greece vs. Cuba. I fully expected a blowout on the part of Cuba, but they only squeaked out a 4-3 victory. During the game there was a foul ball and the person who caught it threw it back on the field. Right after, they put a message on the scoreboard that you can keep any ball that goes into the stands.

:roflmao:

One of the "Greek" players was Basili Spanos who grew up in the Chicago area and played last year (except for the time he spent with the Greek team) with the Kane County Cougars. Truly international competition.

For the person who asked me why I completely ignore the Olympics, there's one reason.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I really do not care. I don't watch the Olympics anyway. I'd rather the MLB players stay with their MLB teams and not risk injury playing in cheesy exhibitions about which I won't say anything more because I don't want to get Roadhoused.

:)

LauraJ14
07-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Since there is a professional baseball league, baseball won't be missed that much in the Olympics.

If softball has been eliminated, then that really sucks. I actually enjoy watching women's softball and the US has been dominating in this sport.

ma_deuce
07-08-2005, 10:55 AM

I have the perfect replacement event...

http://www.nachs.info/update/festival/Uploads/Caber%20Toss%20-%20sm.jpg

CABER TOSS!!!

The object of the contest is to toss the 100 or 120 pound, 18-19 foot long caber (pole) end-over-end so that it lands with the bottom, or small end pointing directly away from the contestant. The athlete with the straightest toss is the winner. Distance has no bearing on the outcome of the event at all. Three tosses are allowed and all three are scored to determine the winner.

http://www.moviecritic.ca/reviews/1993/so_i_married_an_axe_murderer/myers_father_01.jpg

"If ain't Scottish caber toss, it's crap!!!"

whtsx1959
07-08-2005, 10:59 AM
The Olympics are intended for amateurs. Thats why I don't watch the basketball. (The US used tose college players)
They need to move the softball mound back a few feet, I'm tired of pitcher dominance.

Winter Olympics is better, IMO.

Heffalump
07-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I like women's wrestling.

Also, race walking is very exciting.

daveeym
07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Heck yeah Karate, especially if they can get us the 28 year rematch of

Daniel-san and Johnny.

NSSoxFan
07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
One of the "Greek" players was Basili Spanos who grew up in the Chicago area and played last year (except for the time he spent with the Greek team) with the Kane County Cougars. Truly international competition.

For the person who asked me why I completely ignore the Olympics, there's one reason.

None of the players on the Greek Baseball team were 100% Greek. The team was put together by Peter Angelos. I agree that part of the Olympics is rediculous.

Fenway
07-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I gave up when they were considering Bridge as an Olympic Sport :?:

and why not Bowling while they at it

WHOOPS The IOC now calls Bridge a sport
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp
RECOGNISED SPORTS

http://www.olympic.org/common/images/sports/home/v_recognized.jpghttp://www.olympic.org/common/images/common/spacer.gifClimbing, bridge, golf, roller skating and surfing are sports that are recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The International Sports Federations (IFs) that administer these sports must ensure that their statutes, practice and activities conform with the Olympic Charter.

slobes
07-08-2005, 11:56 PM
None of the players on the Greek Baseball team were 100% Greek. The team was put together by Peter Angelos. I agree that part of the Olympics is rediculous.

There was an article in SI about this. Anyone with even like great-grandparents from Greece were allowed to compete for the Greek baseball team. It was ridiculous.

Personally, I love watching ping pong in the olympics

Banix12
07-09-2005, 12:21 AM
There was an article in SI about this. Anyone with even like great-grandparents from Greece were allowed to compete for the Greek baseball team. It was ridiculous.

Personally, I love watching ping pong in the olympics

Hell yeah, Olympic Ping Pong rocks. I also kinda enjoy weightlifting, mostly just to wait until you hear the bloodcurdling scream when someone pulls or ruptures some joint, which is usually inevitable when lifting that amount.

Norberto7
07-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Hell yeah, Olympic Ping Pong rocks.

Is it not a faux pas to call it "ping pong" at this level? Look out, high culture...we are now playing "table tennis". You can join tennis clubs...do they have table tennis clubs?

Anyways, back to the point of the thread. I know there is a thread in the Roadhouse which discusses the Gary Coleman tag being used too much, but in regards to Olympic baseball, throw five of 'em on there. Because, who does care? Who won the gold last year? I have no idea, and I'm guessing most people don't. (Though surely some of you do.....)

Olympic baseball....what comes to your mind when that phrase is mentioned? Probably something like this...."Uhhhhhhh......." Name me an Olympic baseball moment the casual observer remembers? Hockey and basketball, they at least have memorable traditions.

Maybe it's because we as baseball fans are loathe to think of baseball as a tournament. More than any other sport, it is not...it is about the regular season. Tournaments are for basketball. Long, lazy summers are for baseball, not quick round robins or double elimnation tournaments.

Let them be done with it. Softball, on the other hand, I'd like to see stay, because it doesn't have the same tradition attached to it.

doublem23
07-09-2005, 01:02 AM
The Olympics are for sports that nobody would give a **** about the rest of the 4 years.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 01:04 AM
The Olympics are for sports that nobody would give a **** about the rest of the 4 years.

And some of us don't give a rat's *** about it that fourth year either.

chisoxfanatic
07-09-2005, 02:56 AM

But we more often than not win the Olympics. :)