PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Baseball in Tampa Bay - Relievers Starting?

Norberto7
07-07-2005, 11:09 PM
After considerable thought and careful analysis, Rays manager Lou Piniella decided not to follow through on his plan to open games with relievers and then bring in his starters. But Piniella thinks it would be a great concept for teams to use in the minors to give their young starters, who are limited by pitch counts, the opportunity to learn how to pitch in the late innings.
-- St. Petersburg Times

Has anyone else heard about this? I read it in cnnsi's Truth and Rumors (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/07/07/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html) section. Personally, I am disappointed that he's not trying it out, if only because it flys in the face of all logic. I'm having trouble thinking of the positives of this scenario besides the one the article mentioned. I can think of a couple:

1. If the reliever gets in early trouble, there is less hesitation to make a change if need be.

2. Conversely, if a reliever is doing well, and has the ability to stretch it out, you can ride that wave longer than if he was in in the late innings.

3. It won't be until the 5th or 6th inning until hitters have seen the same pitcher twice, keeping them off balance.

Obviously the only negative you need to know that makes the whole thing logically untenable is the situation where your "starter" gets shelled, but your bullpen has already been used.

Nonetheless, I'd love to see the theory actually played out. What better place is there for such tinkering than Tampa? Sure, it's a slap in the face of tradition, but hey, so are the Devil Rays.

CHISOXFAN13
07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Has anyone else heard about this? I read it in cnnsi's Truth and Rumors (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/07/07/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html) section. Personally, I am disappointed that he's not trying it out, if only because it flys in the face of all logic. I'm having trouble thinking of the positives of this scenario besides the one the article mentioned. I can think of a couple:

1. If the reliever gets in early trouble, there is less hesitation to make a change if need be.

2. Conversely, if a reliever is doing well, and has the ability to stretch it out, you can ride that wave longer than if he was in in the late innings.

3. It won't be until the 5th or 6th inning until hitters have seen the same pitcher twice, keeping them off balance.

Obviously the only negative you need to know that makes the whole thing logically untenable is the situation where your "starter" gets shelled, but your bullpen has already been used.

Nonetheless, I'd love to see the theory actually played out. What better place is there for such tinkering than Tampa? Sure, it's a slap in the face of tradition, but hey, so are the Devil Rays.

He was going to do it last night but changed his mind and ended up starting Fossum.

Norberto7
07-07-2005, 11:28 PM
He was going to do it last night but changed his mind and ended up starting Fossum.

Huh....I didn't know about that, and would have loved to have seen it. Somehow it completely left my mind that the Devil Rays were just here. How could that happen?

Rocklive99
07-08-2005, 12:28 AM
There was a thread about it, it was announced in his postgame after one of the games against the Sox, and he was supposed to do it last night instead of starting Fossum. I personally would've liked to have seen it try it, but I guess he was being sarcastic in the end...

Norberto7
07-08-2005, 08:11 AM
There was a thread about it...

I am worthless. :redface: This is always my phobia about starting new threads. I didn't see one about this...but I suppose that is what makes me worthless, no?