PDA

View Full Version : Mastercard commercial

Paulwny
11-20-2001, 11:56 AM
You pay an ad agency millions of $$$$ and they can't come up with their own idea.

Tuesday, November 20, 2001

Fans who made documentary touring ball parks in VW van sue MasterCard
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Two Minnesota Twins fans who made a documentary film about traveling in a Volkswagen van to ball parks across the U.S. have sued MasterCard, claiming the company stole their idea for its commercials.

In a lawsuit filed in federal court in Minneapolis, David Hoch and Joe Marble accuse MasterCard and its ad agency of duplicating their 1998 documentary in a series of commercials.

According to the lawsuit, MasterCard used a Volkswagen van with the same orange-and-white colouring as the one Hoch and Marble drove, used video shots of stadiums photographed through bridge girders that resemble scenes in their film, and had music similar to theirs.

"You start asking yourself, 'How could this be a coincidence?"' said Minneapolis lawyer Ronald Schutz, who filed the lawsuit.

The lawsuit accuses MasterCard and New York-based McCann-Erickson Worldwide of violating the copyright. It seeks unspecified damages and an injunction barring further use of the commercials.

A spokeswoman for the ad agency said Monday she hadn't seen the lawsuit and couldn't comment. Representatives of MasterCard couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Hoch, 41, a mortgage broker from Arden Hills, and Marble, 41, a real estate broker from Hopkins, created the group Citizens United for Baseball in Minnesota after hearing rumours in 1997 about a plan to move the Twins. The following year, the two filmed their travels to ball parks in Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore and Denver.

The documentary, called Twins -- Now and Forever, was shown at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., according to the lawsuit.

ma-gaga
11-20-2001, 12:07 PM
VW Van - $2400

Two tickets to one game at every single MLB stadium - $1000

Film, cameras, crew - $4800

paying an ad agency millions of $$$$ and they can't come up with their own idea - Priceless

sorry, it had to be done.

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2001, 12:08 PM
I'd be more upset at how goofy Mastercard made me look with those two scrawny geeks...

dougs78
11-20-2001, 01:54 PM
To me this story was especially relevant. I went on a trip similar this summer with 5 other friends, although we only did the east coast and thus got only 13 stadiums. We did use a van, but not a VW (thank god). :smile: The interesting part was that we actually thought of the "priceless" idea for our trip and emailed it to mastercard with details of our plans on a whim. We never figured to hear any thing back, but then about a month later we saw the first advertisemnt where these 2 guys were in Cincy....which coincidentally was the first stop on our trip as well. Needless to say , we all were pretty pissed as we saw those two bozos visit camden, fenway and lots of other stadiums we were visiting throughout the summer.

I feel some sort of vindication if those bastards at mastercard get sued for stealing the idea, even if it wasn't technically from us.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-20-2001, 02:08 PM
How this lawsuit plays out ought to be interesting. Traveling cross country in the summer to see ballgames in different ballparks has become quite a cottage industry. There are books on the subject (I've got one published back in 1988), organized tour group packages, atlases and tour books showing each summer's best dates and routes, etc. How anyone could claim ownership of the concept is beyond me. It's not like these guys had a copyright on orange VW buses or video shot while crossing a bridge. There is nothing "original" about any of this.

Good luck to them. I hope their legal team is working pro bono.

Spiff
11-20-2001, 02:20 PM
I hated those commercials anyway.

Where the hell did they get all that money? On like every commercial they bought jerseys and hats and crap. Plus all the gas they used.

If they were rich they could have afforded a nicer vehicle.

ihatethecubs
11-20-2001, 02:24 PM
im shocked that i never saw one for wrigley field. they did all the other supposed "great" parks.

cheeses_h_rice
11-20-2001, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
im shocked that i never saw one for wrigley field. they did all the other supposed "great" parks.

Two scalped tickets to the bleachers - $80

Eighteen 16-oz. Old Style beers plus tips - $95

Finally getting that urine smell out of your nostrils - Priceless.

Thank you! I'm here all week!

FarWestChicago
11-20-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Thank you! I'm here all week! LMAO!!!

KempersRS
11-20-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Two scalped tickets to the bleachers - $80

Eighteen 16-oz. Old Style beers plus tips - $95

Finally getting that urine smell out of your nostrils - Priceless.

Thank you! I'm here all week!

It's going to be a looong week.