PDA

View Full Version : Trades?

The Tom
07-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I was bored at work earlier, and was browsing through ESPN. I know how little respect they get here, but it still got me thinking about who the White Sox might try to add. The rumor mill had the Sox connected with Jason Schmidt, Omar Vizquel, Jr. and Roger Clemens. Who do you think a logical target would be for the Sox? I think adding a fourth starter would be smart, along with a reliever and a left-handed bat. And I would give my left testicle to see Clemens pitch in a Sox uniform, but that just ain't going to happen.

nedlug
07-07-2005, 11:26 PM
I was bored at work earlier, and was browsing through ESPN. I know how little respect they get here, but it still got me thinking about who the White Sox might try to add. The rumor mill had the Sox connected with Jason Schmidt, Omar Vizquel, Jr. and Roger Clemens. Who do you think a logical target would be for the Sox? I think adding a fourth starter would be smart, along with a reliever and a left-handed bat. And I would give my left testicle to see Clemens pitch in a Sox uniform, but that just ain't going to happen.

Most likely it will be Schmidt or Burnett, if anyone, but yes, a left testicle is a very small price to pay to turn a very, very good rotation into one of the best of all time.

EDIT - Lilly and Zito, I wouldn't refuse either...

bumptious96
07-07-2005, 11:28 PM
I would definitely trade the farm for Clemens, but it doesn't look like that'll be enough. I'd like to see Ted Lilly, Schmidt if he doesn't cost too much, Zito, or Burnett come to the South Side. However, with our huge success this year i don't want to see us giving up too much from the farm system for a rental player that doesn't pan out. No matter what, I see Kenny making a splash close to the deadline when teams start realizing they aren't going to make it to the postseason.

samram
07-07-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd like to see Ted Lilly

Noooo. He's 7-8 with a 5.42 ERA. Acquiring him would be the exact definition of making a trade just to make a trade.

ChiSoxFan7
07-07-2005, 11:45 PM

I doubt we would ever Get Clemens. He loves Houston. Schmidt, according to Hermanson, is a good guy and chemistry would be no problem. He's the most likely to be traded for in my opinion. But to the the Left-handed bat we are getting back Gload. He's been tearing it up, so maybe KW won't have to give up more prospects for a lefty.

Banix12
07-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Somehow I think the pitcher the sox end up with is Jaime Moyer. He's near retirement, he's still effective, since he would basically be a rental he would probably come cheap.

DaleJRFan
07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
My GOD... I hope NONE of this is true.

Omar Vizquel?? Griffey?? Lilly???

:chunks

beckett21
07-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Noooo. He's 7-8 with a 5.42 ERA. Acquiring him would be the exact definition of making a trade just to make a trade.

Sorry sam, I usually find myself in agreement with you, but not this time.

Ted Lilly--last 5 starts:

4-1, 2.03 ERA --against StL, Bal, @Was, @Bos, Oak--not exactly patsies.

He had an abysmal start and has rebounded nicely. Classic buy-low candidate, except for the fact that I don't think Toronto would give him away.

He would be a fine option to add depth to the staff.

ATXBMX
07-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Schmidt pitches tomorrow against St. Louis and Mark Mulder. If he does well, I hope Kenny and the front office start going after him more seriously. If he blows it, we should look somewhere else.

DaleJRFan
07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6301.jpg

"Trade for me instead..."

DaleJRFan
07-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Schmidt pitches tomorrow against St. Louis and Mark Mulder. If he does well, I hope Kenny and the front office start going after him more seriously. If he blows it, we should look somewhere else.

C'mon now... I wouldn't base a decision like that on one start... Buehrle was pretty underwhelming in his last outing, too....

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2005, 12:33 AM
C'mon now... I wouldn't base a decision like that on one start... Buehrle was pretty underwhelming in his last outing, too....But you gotta admit, he's a HIGH risk trade with the year he's havin', the velocity he lost and the injuries. He's really borderline.

ATXBMX
07-08-2005, 12:36 AM
C'mon now... I wouldn't base a decision like that on one start... Buehrle was pretty underwhelming in his last outing, too....

Yeah, but Oakland doesn't have much of a chance to go to the World Series now do they? I want to see how well he pitches against the best team in the NL. I don't think it's too unreasonable to judge an ace pitcher when he should have his best stuff. Anyone that is interested in Schmidt should be paying close attention to this next start. The deadline is less than a month away, and this could make or break a blockbuster deal.

beckett21
07-08-2005, 12:38 AM
But you gotta admit, he's a HIGH risk trade with the year he's havin', the velocity he lost and the injuries. He's really borderline.

High risk, high reward.

Depends on who's feeling lucky. :redneck

For not wanting to get involved in all of this baseless rumor talk, I sure am having a good time fantasizing about an 8 man rotation of Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Clemens, Schmidt, Oswalt, Burnett and Lilly. :D:

ondafarm
07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
The Baseball Savant has some analysis about the Sox trading for Burnett. Supposedly the Marlins want a young starter, a solid middle reliever and a left handed bat.

That could be McCarthy, Politte and Everett. Would you do this trade?

I would, in a minute.

CHIsoxNation
07-08-2005, 12:04 PM
The Baseball Savant has some analysis about the Sox trading for Burnett. Supposedly the Marlins want a young starter, a solid middle reliever and a left handed bat.

I would, in a minute.

I would too, although I would be pretty hesitant on dishing out Politte just yet. Unless we move one of the Cubans to the bullpen.

Madvora
07-08-2005, 12:10 PM

I would, in a minute.

That would be under the condition that we would sign him to a few more years right? Even then... man... Everett and Politte really help this team out. Getting rid of Cliffy would just open up another hole that we'd have to fill again. It's so nice going to a bullpen that you can just sit back and relax with. I have 100% confidence in Cotts/Politte/Hermanson.
I wouldn't get rid of Cliffy, I'd try to put anything else into this deal to be able to hold onto him. Otherwise, I'd find another starter from a team that isn't demanding so much.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Most likely it will be Schmidt or Burnett, if anyone, but yes, a left testicle is a very small price to pay to turn a very, very good rotation into one of the best of all time.

EDIT - Lilly and Zito, I wouldn't refuse either...

edit: my post here was a bad idea.

soltrain21
07-08-2005, 12:45 PM

I would, in a minute.

Hell no. I have no problem with having McCarthy in a trade, but Everett and Politte are HUGE for this team. I would say no dice on that trade...that is giving too much for Burnett.

IhaveNoBallsandGirlfriendhasCancer
07-08-2005, 12:59 PM
We should give up McCarthy and maybe Anderson for only Schmidt,Zito,Or Burnett. In return he signs a 3 year deal with us.

TheOldRoman
07-08-2005, 01:43 PM

I would, in a minute.

No way. Politte has been argueably the best relief pitcher in baseball this year. Carl has been huge, also. I would part with Carl before Politte, and I wouldn't get rid of Cliff under any circumstances unless I got Clemens in return. I think people are letting their hate for Cliff last year and memories of his poor past block out his current outstanding season.

IhaveNoBallsandGirlfriendhasCancer
07-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I can see us trading Anderson McCarthy and Vizquaino for Schmidt and Vizquel.

But I don't want vizquel and I could care less about Vizquaino.

samram
07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Sorry sam, I usually find myself in agreement with you, but not this time.

Ted Lilly--last 5 starts:

4-1, 2.03 ERA --against StL, Bal, @Was, @Bos, Oak--not exactly patsies.

He had an abysmal start and has rebounded nicely. Classic buy-low candidate, except for the fact that I don't think Toronto would give him away.

He would be a fine option to add depth to the staff.

Well, I don't like to go against the doctor's orders, but I guess I want to see any addition be a front of the rotation type- even if the Sox already have three of them. I guess we'll have to see what El Duque's story is first because if he's back I don't see a point in bringing in another back of the rotation type, since he and Contreras would be there. OTOH, if he's going to be out for a while, maybe Lilly would fit their plans.

beckett21
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, I don't like to go against the doctor's orders, but I guess I want to see any addition be a front of the rotation type- even if the Sox already have three of them. I guess we'll have to see what El Duque's story is first because if he's back I don't see a point in bringing in another back of the rotation type, since he and Contreras would be there. OTOH, if he's going to be out for a while, maybe Lilly would fit their plans.

I do agree with you in the sense that I would prefer a front of the rotation type as well, if they do plan to add a starter. Schmidt or Burnett would be my choice. So we agree there.

My point was strictly that Lilly is pitching better than his stats reflect right now. Stats can be decieving. I wouldn't say no to him based on the fact that his current ERA is 5+. He has been excellent over the past month.

I don't think Lilly would be a bad consolation prize if the team were unable to land one of the front-end guys, or decided that a front-end guy was cost prohibitive. Lilly plus another bullpen arm might actually be the best option from a depth and affordability standpoint.

El Duque is the linchpin. If he's healthy, great. There has to be a contingency plan though.