PDA

View Full Version : Corey Patterson-Minor Leaguer

Kevin
07-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Sent down to AAA according to Baseball tonight. Your thoughts?

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

SOXintheBURGH
07-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Good for him.

santo=dorf, your thoughts?
:dtroll:

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
and didn't the genius Phil Rogers pick him over Rowand on his all city team.

MIgrenade
07-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Are you serious?! Someone called the Score yesterday and told Mulligan they should send him down and he got laughed at because Corey would be worth more in a trade, which I thought was true. My guess is nobody wants to trade for him.

The Dude
07-07-2005, 10:09 PM
It's about time. Maybe now he'll have time to work on his bunting.

I say that because I was listening to 670's Murph's show...which was all pro-Sox anti cubs today...and he said that a Cubs coach told the media that he is in charge of working with him with bunting but they are hindered because of all the day games they play at wrigley! I found that highly amusing as did Murph because he played a sound byte of Brenly talking down about A Jones for participating in a simulated game before the actual game later in the day.

soltrain21
Wonder who is going to take him through waivers? The Giants should take a chance...they have aging outfielders and it wouldn't hurt their outfield.

whitesoxfan
:hawk

HE GONE! They also optioned Dubois to AAA too.

GoRowand33
07-07-2005, 10:15 PM
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha we can drink to this :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

gobears1987
07-07-2005, 10:15 PM

HE GONE! They also optioned Dubois to AAA too.
I think a sky is falling tag is needed for the Flubbies

Viva Medias B's
07-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Murph in full meltdown mode is fun to listen to.:tongue:

gobears1987
07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I'[m listening, Dubois down too!!!

Banix12
07-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Funny, by the end of this Season he might get to play with his little brother Eric, not the way he wanted to but still it is a possibility.

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2005, 10:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=cubsmoves&prov=st&type=lgns

santo=dorf
07-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Good for him.

santo=dorf, your thoughts?
:dtroll:
:D:

Korey Patterson is so overrated. I can't tell you how many Cubs fans I have argued with over Patterson vs. Rowand and Patterson vs. Podsednik.

Hey Cubbie lurkers, is there any doubt now?

Maybe Jimmy Piersall will finally **** about Patterson.

Ventura Fan 23
07-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Oh my god! Despite him being horrible, this is still quite shocking. Wow, I'm going to have to bug my flubs-loving friends about this.

Banix12
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
This is a good move by Hendry. It prevents Dusty from the urge of playing Patterson and they play Hairston nearly everyday, batting leadoff. I have a buddy who is a cubs fan who lives near West-Tennesee and is very familiar with the cubs that team and the other cubs minor league teams. Murton is killing the ball right now and Greenberg is one of the closest things they have to a leadoff man in the minors right now.

MIgrenade
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
This is another reason to give the Cubs more press and I'm just waiting for the Corey Patterson watch.

DSpivack
07-07-2005, 11:46 PM
This is a good move by Hendry. It prevents Dusty from the urge of playing Patterson and they play Hairston nearly everyday, batting leadoff. I have a buddy who is a cubs fan who lives near West-Tennesee and is very familiar with the cubs that team and the other cubs minor league teams. Murton is killing the ball right now and Greenberg is one of the closest things they have to a leadoff man in the minors right now.

Corey has been sucking big time, but just taking a quick glance at Dubois' stats, it doesn't seem he was playing that bad. Why'd they send him down?

ChiSoxRowand
07-07-2005, 11:46 PM
I guess we will have to wait until 2006 for his MVP year.

Banix12
07-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Corey has been sucking big time, but just taking a quick glance at Dubois' stats, it doesn't seem he was playing that bad. Why'd they send him down?

He's a rookie and even though Dusty denies it, he doesn't like to play rookies and would rather play a average to below average veteran instead of a promising young player. He did it in SF with Marvin Bernard and various other guys. He does it in Chicago with guys like Jose Macias, Neifi Perez and Todd Hollandsworth.

The theory I have heard is that when Dusty was a player at the end of his career, he hated to get benched for the hot rookie coming up. So he has carried that into his managerial career and manages accordingly.

Dubois started out very hot, he has tailed off a bit with the power over the last month. His overall numbers are still good and on a lot of other teams right now he would be an everyday player.

Dusty claims his defense is deficient, which while he is not great defensively, he is not horrible. because of that reason he says he reluctant to play him everyday. About a month ago he said he would play him everyday, but overtime Hollandsworth has started to get the brunt of the time in the OF.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Murph in full meltdown mode is fun to listen to.:tongue:
I caught a little bit of Bruce LeVineLine on MJH this afternoon, and he sounded like he was ready to slit his wrists. I believe at one point he actually called Patterson "dog crap."

So, for the record:
http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
"Corey Patterson is dog crap." (7/7/2005)

"Scott Podsednik is not a butthole." (7/6/2005)

eastchicagosoxfan
07-08-2005, 12:26 AM
I know a couple of Cub fan's that have been hoping Paterson gets traded too. I can't believe the Flubs didn't trade him...to anyone. If he's claimed off waivers, do the Flubs get any compensation? This, and they lose a doubleheader.

Vernam
07-08-2005, 12:38 AM
and didn't the genius Phil Rogers pick him over Rowand on his all city team.
Be fair: In all likelihood, Rogers was talking about Des Moines, not Chicago.

I heard the Levine comment, but it sounded like "horse crap" to me, not "dog crap." Maybe not an important distinction! My fave part was where Levin told Harry T. that he can't talk to him about the Flubs anymore because Harry's too much of a fan (e.g., calling for Patterson to be traded for the nearest warm body).

Pods's emergence during the first half did Patterson no favors; Scottie is a daily reminder of what Patterson should be but isn't. If Patterson were Sox property, he would've started the season at AA.

VC

TaylorStSox
07-08-2005, 12:55 AM
It's too bad for him. He's got a ton of talent. I hate seeing it wasted like that. (no teal)

Banix12
07-08-2005, 01:07 AM
It's too bad for him. He's got a ton of talent. I hate seeing it wasted like that. (no teal)

It's his own fault for wasting the talent. He's been given every opprotunity to shine.

Ol' No. 2
07-08-2005, 01:11 AM
I caught a little bit of Bruce LeVineLine on MJH this afternoon, and he sounded like he was ready to slit his wrists. I believe at one point he actually called Patterson "dog crap."

Did you hear him call out Harry? Harry wanted to trade Patterson "to get what we can for him". I don't recall Bruce's exact words, but to paraphrase, "Harry, I like you, but where the Cubs are concerned, you're not rational." :rolling:

Rocklive99
07-08-2005, 01:11 AM
...in other news, 11 game lead! :bandance:

JRIG
07-08-2005, 06:09 AM
It's his own fault for wasting the talent. He's been given every opprotunity to shine.

It more than half Dusty's fault for trying to force Patterson to do something he is CLEARLY not capable of doing -- lead off. If Patterson were batting 6th or 7th, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He'd be hitting .250 with good power and decent defense and everyone would be happy.

And Dubois goes down because, clearly, he's not one of "Dusty's Guys." Hollandsworth is. Neifi Perez is. Mark Grudzielanek was. This is how things work in Dusty's world.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2005, 06:23 AM
See ya, Corey. I'll always remember him for that beautiful dive that he made against our very own White Sox, except the ball bounced off of his glove, which allowed the White Sox to extend the inning and score enough runs to win the ballgame. :D:

DrCrawdad
07-08-2005, 06:51 AM
From the pen of Cubbie lover Mike Kiley regarding Jason Dubois...

This appears to be another case in which a ballyhooed minor-league prospect hasn't lived up to his billing.

Considering how bad Dubois is in the field it's funny to remember how much and how often Cubbie fans used to mock Carlos Lee defense.

Hey, Jason! That thing on your lefthand is a glove, try using it in the field every now and then.

White Sox Randy
07-08-2005, 07:36 AM
as soon as he gets to another organization that doesn't put so much pressure on him, he'll turn out to be an excellent player. He is still very young.

His biggest problem is that he plays on the flubs. He should have been batting much lower in the order all along. The flubs trying to make him into a leadoff hitter, because their GM failed to get one, was always messing him up.

Baby Fisk
07-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Chicago Media: "CUBS RETOOL FOR PLAYOFF RUN". :rolleyes:

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 08:29 AM
It more than half Dusty's fault for trying to force Patterson to do something he is CLEARLY not capable of doing -- lead off. If Patterson were batting 6th or 7th, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He'd be hitting .250 with good power and decent defense and everyone would be happy.

And Dubois goes down because, clearly, he's not one of "Dusty's Guys." Hollandsworth is. Neifi Perez is. Mark Grudzielanek was. This is how things work in Dusty's world.

Willie Mays Hayes had to learn to lead off and so does Patterson. For a blue chip with great speed like he has, hitting .250 in the 7 spot is not really acceptable even if he hits 20 HR.

Madvora
07-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Wait a second... But Murph was telling us how close Patterson was to becoming the next Lou Brock. Remember, it was just about this age and he started picking it up? The similarities are astounding!

slavko
07-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Why does a player regress? Bad coaching, bad managing.

socko82
07-08-2005, 11:24 AM
So Steve Phillips baseball "expert" is looking real good with those preseason predictions that the Sox would be lucky to win 72 games and Corey Patterson was going to be a 40/40 guy this year...

I know, I know ..........SCREW STEVE PHILLIPS!!!

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 11:38 AM
So Steve Phillips baseball "expert" is looking real good with those preseason predictions that the Sox would be lucky to win 72 games and Corey Patterson was going to be a 40/40 guy this year...

He should have told the Mets to sign him to a multi year, multi-million dollar deal.

ShoelessJoeS
07-08-2005, 11:42 AM
i just heard this on espn, i almost died laughing....HA, the cubs, how pathetic

PatK
07-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Did you hear him call out Harry? Harry wanted to trade Patterson "to get what we can for him". I don't recall Bruce's exact words, but to paraphrase, "Harry, I like you, but where the Cubs are concerned, you're not rational." :rolling:

That was great. I think he said something more like "you lack any kind of common sense".

It was funny listening to Harry throw out about 1/2 a dozen various trades involving Corey while Bruce tried to remind him that you can't trade crap for a superstar.

TaylorStSox
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
That kid's head is so screwed up. I doubt he'd be hitting under .270 if he was in the 6th hole. He's so worried about making contact and becoming a lead off guy that he doesn't play to his strength.

They need to move him if only to be fair to him. Put him on a team that's going to utilize his strengths and not harbor on his inabilities.

This is one of the best examples I've ever seen of how not to treat a 4 tool player.

JB98
07-08-2005, 01:10 PM
From the pen of Cubbie lover Mike Kiley regarding Jason Dubois...

Considering how bad Dubois is in the field it's funny to remember how much and how often Cubbie fans used to mock Carlos Lee defense.

Hey, Jason! That thing on your lefthand is a glove, try using it in the field every now and then.

I actually think DuBois got a raw deal from Baker. You are right about one thing: DuBois is not a good defensive player. However, he was an accomplished hitter in the minor leagues. He has nothing left to prove in AAA, and he needs an opportunity to play every day in the big leagues. Is he good enough? Who knows? But at some point you have to give your top prospects an opportunity, or else trade them to someone who will. It's absurd that Hollandsworth, a career fourth outfielder, was allowed to play ahead of DuBois. That's one of the many reasons Baker is a poor manager: He blindly kowtows to his veterans because they are "his guys."

At some point in the near future, we will be facing a similar situation with Brian Anderson. Perhaps it will happen as soon as next year. Once a guy has accomplished everything there is to accomplish in AAA, you have to give him a shot and find out about him. If you don't have room for him on the big-league club, then use him as a trading chip to shore up your roster.

I just don't think it's right to let guys waste away at AAA when they have nothing left to prove at that level. That's what the Cubs are doing with DuBois, and it's another example of why they don't win. Idiotic management.

MisterB
07-08-2005, 04:04 PM

:farmer
"And his goatee..."

Banix12
07-08-2005, 10:04 PM

He was batting 6th and 7th and asked back into the leadoff role, so it's not all dusty's fault. Corey wants to be a 3 hitter, but he doesn't hit for power consistantly enough or drive in runs consistantly enough to fit into that role.

Also, if all Corey could do is bat 6th or 7th with his level of physical talent, he would still be a failure, at least an underacheiver. Very few people would be happy if one of the best positional player prospects you have been able to develop through your system is nothing better than a .250 hitting seventh hitter. Any sox fan should know that based seeing the dissatisfaction with Joe Crede on this board.

Optipessimism
07-09-2005, 05:00 AM
How come Patterson couldn't cut the mustard, Dusty? I'm sure it wasn't your confidence crushing line-up tinkering that did it, so it must have been something else. Maybe the heat?

No, it can't be because everyone knows that dark-skinned people are more apt to handle the heat than light-skinned people. Maybe that doesn't apply to makeshift lead-off hitters though.

Oh well Dusty, you'd better get your ass back in the dugout and make some lemonade for your new all-white outfield. You know they will need it, and you have to give it to them since you're such a players' manager.

All kidding aside, what ever it is that Jim Hendry sees in this guy is a ****ing mystery to me. Patterson was the one 'sure-thing' with this team and even he has failed miserably on Dusty's watch. I hope the Cubs do trade him and he becomes a star somewhere else, preferrably in the NL Central. I still think that he will one day be a pretty good player if he ever gets out of the Urinal.

TornLabrum
07-09-2005, 07:37 AM
How come Patterson couldn't cut the mustard, Dusty? I'm sure it wasn't your confidence crushing line-up tinkering that did it, so it must have been something else. Maybe the heat?

No, it can't be because everyone knows that dark-skinned people are more apt to handle the heat than light-skinned people. Maybe that doesn't apply to makeshift lead-off hitters though.

Oh well Dusty, you'd better get your ass back in the dugout and make some lemonade for your new all-white outfield. You know they will need it, and you have to give it to them since you're such a players' manager.

All kidding aside, what ever it is that Jim Hendry sees in this guy is a ****ing mystery to me. Patterson was the one 'sure-thing' with this team and even he has failed miserably on Dusty's watch. I hope the Cubs do trade him and he becomes a star somewhere else, preferrably in the NL Central. I still think that he will one day be a pretty good player if he ever gets out of the Urinal.

What Jim Hendry sees is another year or two (I forget which) on his contract at, iirc, $4 million per.