PDA

View Full Version : Vizquel to Sox?

IronFisk
07-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Another ESPN INside article...which I don't have. I think it's Omar.

Even so, I like this idea...A LOT. Of course, depends on who we give up, but I'm not sure about his numbers to date - he was having a "revival" year earlier on.

mealfred13
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
As in OMAR Vizquel? Sorry, but what the hell do we need him for?

chisoxfan64
07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I heard from a very reliable source that KW is in talks with Steinbrenner to sign the ghost of the Babe.

GiveMeSox
07-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Another ESPN INside article...which I don't have. I think it's Omar.

Even so, I like this idea...A LOT. Of course, depends on who we give up, but I'm not sure about his numbers to date - he was having a "revival" year earlier on.

This trade is dumb they tried this in the offseason and vizquel wanted too much money. We would be stuck with an aging veteran near the end of his career until 07 if we get him. We dont need him, Uribe is one of the best defensive shortstops out there and vizquel would be a downgrade from that. Uribe might be having an off year average wise but he is still a contributor. PLus we have a backup to Uribe in Ozuna that is just as fast and hits over 300 i dont see why we need vizquel. Another starter to backup contreras and duque couldn't hurt.

soxfan43
07-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I got the Insider, so here ya go, and it;s more than just vizquel:

South Side short order?
<Jul. 7> The Jason Schmidt-to-White Sox rumors won't die, and any potential deal with San Francisco could be expanded to include shortstop Omar Vizquel, the Daily Southtown reports. While Vizquel isn't currently available, that could change if/when the fourth-place Giants decide to call it a season before the end of the month. "I prefer to fly stealth," Sox GM Ken Williams told the newspaper, regarding the trade speculation.

The Sox had Vizquel at the top of their wish list last winter, only to have the Giants step in with a better offer. Shortstop Juan Uribe has been a disappointment thus far, while Vizquel remains as consistent as ever at 38 and is a Venezuelan native like Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen.

About Schmidt
<Jul. 7> According to USA Today, the Giants will listen to offers for ace Jason Schmidt, but only if they get a king's ransom in return -- at least two major-league-ready starters, plus a top-level prospect. Several teams, however, have backed off Schmidt after recently scouting him.

The right-hander wants to remain with the Giants. "I don't want to be traded," Schmidt told the newsaper. "This is the team I want to play with. What are you going to do? I can't control that stuff. I don't enjoy seeing [trade rumors]. We've had good teams here. To hear that kind of stuff is definitely disappointing."

Red sunset?
<Jul. 7> Will the White Sox pursue Junior? According to the Daily Southtown, the Sox could make a pitch for Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who is on pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But as much as Chicago GM Ken Williams wants to tweak his roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season

"We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," Williams told the newspaper. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

RedPinStripes
07-07-2005, 06:37 PM
The only real advantage I can see to this and it's a big advantage is having Visquel hitting 9th instead of Uribe to set the table for Pods. Not sure if it's worth it though. Replacing a SS on the best team in baseball is real ballsy and could screw this team up.

NSSoxFan
07-07-2005, 06:41 PM
The only real advantage I can see to this and it's a big advantage is having Visquel hitting 9th instead of Uribe to set the table for Pods. Not sure if it's worth it though. Replacing a SS on the best team in baseball is real ballsy and could screw this team up.

I agree. Not only that but Vizquel had his chance to come here in the off-season but decided to go to SF. Although I do like the idea of Vizquel hitting 9th instead of Uribe, I still say no.

ATXBMX
07-07-2005, 06:42 PM
We wanted Visquel in the offseason, but Kenny wouldn't give him another year on his contract, the Giants did. Then we signed Iguchi, hence, we don't need Visquel anymore.

soxfan43
07-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Uribe hasn't been good at the plate, but trading for vizquel is dumb. He's 38, who knows how he'll be next season or even afterthat. Griffey? Come on, thats a joke. Schmidt? I'll take him in a heartbeat over contreras but it depends what san fran wants, and it won't be cheap.

Kizzy08
07-07-2005, 06:48 PM
The only move i want to see the sox make is a move for a pitcher, as it wouldn't disrupt team chemstiry...which we all know is a big reason for this team's success.

RedPinStripes
07-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I agree. Not only that but Vizquel had his chance to come here in the off-season but decided to go to SF. Although I do like the idea of Vizquel hitting 9th instead of Uribe, I still say no.

Uribe has done great defensivly and I don't see a better arm out there at SS then he has. But his Ozzie Guillen style of at bats drive me insane. He swings at just about everything but a strike.

My Dad called me this morning about this and said "Kenny wanted Omar over the winter and Visquel stuck it up his ass. He didn't want to come here then, why would he want to now? **** that hot dog."

My father still hates Visquel from the days with the tribe. LOL!

WLL1855
07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I got the Insider, so here ya go, and it;s more than just vizquel:
Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

Sorry for being off topic, but I love this tidbit. Griffey has "loads of postseason experience"? For who and when? Maybe when he was a batboy for his dad's Reds team. Good job on the research ESPN.

Back to the topic at hand, a big NO THANKS to Vizquel. I'll take my chances with Juan and Pablo.

JermaineDye05
07-07-2005, 06:51 PM
what's the score

NSSoxFan
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
My father still hates Visquel from the days with the tribe. LOL!

So do I!

Nothing instilled fear into me as a Sox fan when we had to face the '95-'99 Injuns. Lofton and Vizquel as a 1-2 was such a deadly combination. Then of course you had the Alomar brothers, Belle, Thome, Ramirez. Oh, it makes me cry even today.

:redneck

soxwon
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I
The Sox had Vizquel at the top of their wish list last winter, only to have the Giants step in with a better offer. Shortstop Juan Uribe has been a disappointment thus far, while Vizquel remains as consistent as ever at 38 and is a Venezuelan native like Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen.

"

Uribe disapointmenT?
who's says, i think he has been great , much better than Jose!!!
i was talkin to a friend today and we both were talking about what a great job Juan has done.
Am i missing something?

JB98
07-07-2005, 07:06 PM

I vote 'no' also. I think Vizquel is a slight upgrade over Uribe, but not enough of an upgrade to be worth making a trade over. While Vizquel is still a good player, he is in decline. Uribe is young and will probably get better. I'll stick with Uribe even though his bat is very streaky. Uribe has improved defensively since last year, and his play at shortstop has been key to our success this season.

I'm voting 'no' on almost every rumor that gets posted on here. My only priority at the trade deadline is some help for our bullpen. Honestly, I'm satisfied with our starting rotation and our position players.

soxfan43
07-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Uribe disapointmenT?
who's says, i think he has been great , much better than Jose!!!
i was talkin to a friend today and we both were talking about what a great job Juan has done.
Am i missing something?

He's very good in the field but he swings at everything. maybe now that he's hitting 9th, he changed his approach but he needs to start swinging the bat better. one thing I don't get is why people rip on crede so much, when uribe is a very similar player, stellar in the field, inconsistent at theplate but with some power.

Tragg
07-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Trading for Vizquel seems really stupid on its face, without researching it, which I don't feel like doing.
What sort of range does he have?

batmanZoSo
07-07-2005, 08:36 PM

Ballsy
__________________________<---fine line:wink:

Stupid

MIgrenade
07-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't want Vizquel. While it MIGHT help this year it will not after. He won't hit any better really than Uribe and his fielding can't be as good as it was. This is a good move 5 years ago.
As for the rest of it, Schmidt and Griffey aren't worth it. Both are huge injury risks. Rowand is a very good center fielder and, if he gets hot, will still put up 20 some HRs.

I don't know. If any of these moves happen I'm sure KW will get the best deal and my guess Griffey isn't too expensive since the Reds will want him out but I don't know if any of it helps.

Brian26
07-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry for being off topic, but I love this tidbit. Griffey has "loads of postseason experience"? For who and when? Maybe when he was a batboy for his dad's Reds team. Good job on the research ESPN.

Griffey's "loads of post season experience" is essentially the 6 second first-to-home dash he made on Edgar's double in '95.

The entire post is ridiculous. There's nowhere for Griffey on this team, and I honestly would rather have Uribe then Vizquel at this point.

jortafan
07-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that whenever ESPN Insider has a "premium piece of reporting" about the White Sox, all they are really doing is relaying a story they read on the Daily Southtown's web site?

It seems like this is the third straight Sox piece that was picked up from the Southtown.

If that's the case, I'm glad I don't pay whatever extra fee ESPN charges people for their copy.

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I don't want Vizquel. While it MIGHT help this year it will not after. He won't hit any better really than Uribe and his fielding can't be as good as it was. This is a good move 5 years ago.
As for the rest of it, Schmidt and Griffey aren't worth it. Both are huge injury risks. Rowand is a very good center fielder and, if he gets hot, will still put up 20 some HRs.

I don't know. If any of these moves happen I'm sure KW will get the best deal and my guess Griffey isn't too expensive since the Reds will want him out but I don't know if any of it helps.

How do we know he won't hit better than Uribe? Really, what has Uribe proven? I'm not overreacting because Uribe has struggled. I'm just playing devils advocate. Offensively, Uribe has had one good year. Uribe was good in limited action when he first came up in 2001. In his first full season, 2002, he struggled mightily. He struggled in 2003. Then he left Coors and had a fine year in 2004. Now in 2005 he has struggled again. He's only 25 so there's plenty of time for him to become a solid regular, which I think he will be. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to say we need to trade Uribe or that we should give up on him. I'm comfortable with Uribe as our shortstop this year and in the future. But I do worry about him. We know he isn't very patient at the plate and he doesn't have the best swing mechanics.

I do think that if Vizquel were to become available, KW should look into it. Yes, Vizquel is 38 and still has two more years left on his contract. But he still hasn't fallen off. When the Vizquel rumors came out in the offseason, a lot of people here said that he was too old and would start to decline. Well, it's July 7th and Vizquel is hitting .303 with a .359 OBP and .759 OPS. He has 14 stolen bases so far. He's clearly an upgrade for this year and at this point, we're playing for this year. You put Vizquel in the number 9 spot and he turns the lineup over much better. He also provides a nice option in the #2 spot if Iguchi is resting or facing a tough righty.

I like Uribe. I really like his defense. I would love to see him be our starting shortstop for the next 8-10 years. But, at the same time, we're looking at this year. Vizquel is no doubt the better option for this year and at the same time, Uribe is no guarantee to develop into a solid everyday player.

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that whenever ESPN Insider has a "premium piece of reporting" about the White Sox, all they are really doing is relaying a story they read on the Daily Southtown's web site?

It seems like this is the third straight Sox piece that was picked up from the Southtown.

If that's the case, I'm glad I don't pay whatever extra fee ESPN charges people for their copy.

That's basically what ESPN's rumor mill is. It's a collection of stories from newspapers around the country, also mixing in some radio reports and reports from ESPN.com journalists.

soxwon
07-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Im under the conclusion from sox fans, to hell with any future,
Id rather give up the next 5 years chances to win the series this year.
All our eggs are in one basket- this year or NOTHING.

JB98
07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Trading for Vizquel seems really stupid on its face, without researching it, which I don't feel like doing.
What sort of range does he have?

His range was outstanding in his prime, and he has the gold gloves to prove it. I don't think he covers as much ground as he used to these days. I don't think his range is superior to Uribe's at this point, and Uribe has the stronger arm.

Omar is a more consistent offensive player, but like I said in my previous post, I don't think it's enough of an upgrade for KW to pull the trigger on a trade. I'll stick with Uribe.

IhaveNoBallsandGirlfriendhasCancer
07-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Holla y Buenos Dias lol j/k. Anyways hi, This is my first post and what I have heard from the Vizquel rumors is we will get vizquel and Schmidt. But why would we get Vizquel it makes no sense to me.

MIgrenade
07-07-2005, 10:26 PM
How do we know he won't hit better than Uribe? Really, what has Uribe proven? I'm not overreacting because Uribe has struggled. I'm just playing devils advocate. Offensively, Uribe has had one good year. Uribe was good in limited action when he first came up in 2001. In his first full season, 2002, he struggled mightily. He struggled in 2003. Then he left Coors and had a fine year in 2004. Now in 2005 he has struggled again. He's only 25 so there's plenty of time for him to become a solid regular, which I think he will be. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to say we need to trade Uribe or that we should give up on him. I'm comfortable with Uribe as our shortstop this year and in the future. But I do worry about him. We know he isn't very patient at the plate and he doesn't have the best swing mechanics.

I do think that if Vizquel were to become available, KW should look into it. Yes, Vizquel is 38 and still has two more years left on his contract. But he still hasn't fallen off. When the Vizquel rumors came out in the offseason, a lot of people here said that he was too old and would start to decline. Well, it's July 7th and Vizquel is hitting .303 with a .359 OBP and .759 OPS. He has 14 stolen bases so far. He's clearly an upgrade for this year and at this point, we're playing for this year. You put Vizquel in the number 9 spot and he turns the lineup over much better. He also provides a nice option in the #2 spot if Iguchi is resting or facing a tough righty.

I like Uribe. I really like his defense. I would love to see him be our starting shortstop for the next 8-10 years. But, at the same time, we're looking at this year. Vizquel is no doubt the better option for this year and at the same time, Uribe is no guarantee to develop into a solid everyday player.

I'm not totally against this move and I know he fits in with what the Sox are trying to do. Visquel is a guy who can pick it and who can hit and lay down a bunt. As I said, this move MIGHT help.

I don't know, however, if it will help. The team has not been built on offense and Uribe's defense is very solid. Visquel is an upgrade in that you get a smarter player offensively. If that is what the team needs then go get him.

samram
07-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm not totally against this move and I know he fits in with what the Sox are trying to do. Visquel is a guy who can pick it and who can hit and lay down a bunt. As I said, this move MIGHT help.

I don't know, however, if it will help. The team has not been built on offense and Uribe's defense is very solid. Visquel is an upgrade in that you get a smarter player offensively. If that is what the team needs then go get him.

Vizquel won about 10 Gold Gloves, so I think he'd be all right defensively.

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2005, 10:30 PM
That's basically what ESPN's rumor mill is. It's a collection of stories from newspapers around the country, also mixing in some radio reports and reports from ESPN.com journalists.The rumor mill isn't even that good. Read the original Southtown story. It wasn't even reporting any actual talks. It was just the author's daydreaming. Then the other sportswriters pick it up and repeat it. I wouldn't even dignify this stuff with the word "rumor".

samram
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
The rumor mill isn't even that good. Read the original Southtown story. It wasn't even reporting any actual talks. It was just the author's daydreaming. Then the other sportswriters pick it up and repeat it. I wouldn't even dignify this stuff with the word "rumor".

Yeah, the whole thing is a giant circle jerk. Pretty much every "rumor" we've seen can be traced to a fan site or a dream some fat-ass writer had while taking a nap after lunch. It's nice that they're creating stories for one another though. Collegial cooperation is always heart-warming.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sabean thinks he can take what may be his only serious suitor and fleece him into giving up the farm by adding in a guy like Vizquel and his bad contract, but I doubt that happens.

The only way I see picking up Vizquel would be in a three way deal that sent him somewhere else. There is no way we trade our young shortstop for an aging one with much less power. Yes Uribe is streaky, but he is on the rise while Vizquel can only decline.

If we end up getting Schmidt, I think we get him at a good price.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Vizquel? Now? No thanks.

Omar had his chance to play for a potential winner, but decided that the extra year on his contract was worth more. So now the Sox are supposed to bend over and go after him now, inheriting the extra year that they didn't want to give him in the first place? Rot in SF with your money and extra year, Omar.

SMO
:angry:

SoxWillWin
07-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Sorry if this has been talked about already, I've been away for a week. Delete it or move it to the roadhouse if necessary.:D:

Since I don't dare give my money willingly to ESPN, has anyone read this and was it typical espn BS????

Rocklive99
07-08-2005, 01:42 AM
I haven't followed this deal as much after getting screwed over by the Sporting News (who told me that the deal for Jason Schmidt to the White Sox was basically done), but I'm guessing it's the same story from the Daily Southtown that says the Sox are still interested in Schmidt, but may also want Vizquel

I love Uribe, so I don't really like it. The Robbie Alomar experiment failed, twice, since he's out of the league, they want to try the other side of the Indians' old infield?

pythons007
07-08-2005, 08:51 AM
I read something on ESPN that Vizquel is rumored be coming to the Sox! Does anyone have the full story? How does everyone feel about this? What will this do to the team chemistry?

RKMeibalane
07-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Who is this Vizquil you're referring to? :cool:

BeviBall!
07-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Who is this Vizquil you're referring to? :cool:

Can't you get Visquil at Walgreens?

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2005, 09:03 AM
How do we know he won't hit better than Uribe? Really, what has Uribe proven? I'm not overreacting because Uribe has struggled. I'm just playing devils advocate. ....

I do think that if Vizquel were to become available, KW should look into it...

You put Vizquel in the number 9 spot and he turns the lineup over much better. He also provides a nice option in the #2 spot if Iguchi is resting or facing a tough righty.

Jjav, please consider my critique in the most jovial, good-natured terms, since you do acknowledge you are "playing devil's advocate"...

So it's OK to consider replacing the Sox starting shortstop for 2005, because that's a position the Sox can afford to upgrade, but it's not OK to consider upgrading at first base?

You say the fact that Uribe has struggled this year warrants considering replacing him for the playoff run. But hasn't Konerko struggled as well?

You say that replacing Konerko would be a bad idea because the Sox shouldn't mess with success, given they have the best record in the MLB. Yet it's OK to replace the shortstop for 2005?

I would tend to think shortstop is a more important defensive position that first base, not only because it's up the middle and the shortstop has to cover more ground (and therefore gets more balls hit his way), but also because he's an integral part of the double play combo. It seems to me there are many more 6-4-3 and 4-6-3 double plays than 3-6-3 double plays. Given the fact that the Sox starter that has the most to do with the pitching staff's turnaround this year (Garland, since we've come to expect excellence from Buehrle for several years now) is a sinkerballer, who heavily relies on GROUND BALLS to get outs, do we really want to mess with the double play combo?

Why is an average first baseman and underwhelming cleanup hitter sacrosanct, but not a rifle-armed shortstop with great range? :tongue:

(For the record, I too think it would be nice to have a guy like Vizquel in the #9 hole to turn over the lineup. Then again, Uribe's had some clutch sac fly RBIs.)

:)

Rocky Soprano
07-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Can't you get Visquil at Walgreens?

Must be Walgreens version of Nyquil.

pythons007
07-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow, a couple mistakes on the spelling and everyone gets on you. sorry!!:cool:

Jaffar
07-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm assuming you meant Omar Vizquel but I'm curious what we want him for? Kenny will look like a big dope again if he makes this trade since we wouldn't offer him the money in the first place to come here and or he didn't want to come here but now he does because we are winning. f-him if thats the case. I'm curious about why we would need him though.

SoxFan78
07-08-2005, 09:13 AM
F him, he had the chance to come here before the season, and he went to San Fran. We dont want him, or infield is just fine.

He made his bed, let him lie in it.

Iwritecode
07-08-2005, 09:28 AM
If it was Omar playing against the Tigers on June 29 instead of Uribe, the Sox would have lost that game.

Omar may have gotten to that ball in the 9th inning, but there's no way he would've been able to throw the runner out.

harwar
07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Vizquel is a mere shadow of the igniter he once was.
Herr Schmidt is,by all reports,not pitching all that well this year and he would be switching from the NL to the AL where some guys never adjust,to go to a team that he wants no part of.
Good idea? I think not.
Once Uribe goes on one of his offensive tears,most of us will just forget all about this absurd trade talk concerning the giants.
I'm sure KW is looking elsewhere.

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Vizquel to the White Sox?? After he blew off the team because they
wouldn't give him a third year on his contract????

:hawk

"No".

Jjav829
07-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Jjav, please consider my critique in the most jovial, good-natured terms, since you do acknowledge you are "playing devil's advocate"...

So it's OK to consider replacing the Sox starting shortstop for 2005, because that's a position the Sox can afford to upgrade, but it's not OK to consider upgrading at first base?

You say the fact that Uribe has struggled this year warrants considering replacing him for the playoff run. But hasn't Konerko struggled as well?

You say that replacing Konerko would be a bad idea because the Sox shouldn't mess with success, given they have the best record in the MLB. Yet it's OK to replace the shortstop for 2005?

I would tend to think shortstop is a more important defensive position that first base, not only because it's up the middle and the shortstop has to cover more ground (and therefore gets more balls hit his way), but also because he's an integral part of the double play combo. It seems to me there are many more 6-4-3 and 4-6-3 double plays than 3-6-3 double plays. Given the fact that the Sox starter that has the most to do with the pitching staff's turnaround this year (Garland, since we've come to expect excellence from Buehrle for several years now) is a sinkerballer, who heavily relies on GROUND BALLS to get outs, do we really want to mess with the double play combo?

Why is an average first baseman and underwhelming cleanup hitter sacrosanct, but not a rifle-armed shortstop with great range? :tongue:

(For the record, I too think it would be nice to have a guy like Vizquel in the #9 hole to turn over the lineup. Then again, Uribe's had some clutch sac fly RBIs.)

:)

When did I ever say that replacing Konerko would be a bad idea? My whole argument in the other thread was not that it would be a bad idea to replace Konerko. My argument was that it would be a bad idea to replace him with our RF who has never played the position on a regular basis. We would be doing this on a team that is now built around pitching and defense. Make no mistake, I wasn't defending Konerko or saying that he shouldn't be replaced. If there is a move that makes sense whereby we would trade Konerko and acquire a better 1B, I would be all for it. I don't think that move is out there. None of the 1B available is much of an upgrade over Konerko, so I don't see anything like that happening.

And FWIW, I don't consider Vizquel a downgrade over Uribe defensively. It's not like we'd be replacing Uribe with a butcher at short.

PatK
07-08-2005, 10:35 AM
It won't happen just because of the contract.

Bruce Levine said yesterday that there is no validity to the rumor that Vizquel is coming here.

ma_deuce
07-08-2005, 10:38 AM
It won't happen just because of the contract.

Bruce Levine said yesterday that there is no validity to the rumor that Vizquel is coming here.

Finally, I agree with Bruce Levine. :redneck I like Vizquel where he is at, which is not with the White Sox.

Deuce

IhaveNoBallsandGirlfriendhasCancer
07-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Why don't we put him at first, Because Konerko really sucks and he can't even hit a beach ball or a homerun.