PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going/been to Baltimore?

ohiosoxfan
07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm planning to go to see the Sox in Baltimore at the end of the month. Have never been there. Just wondering if anybody's been to a game and has any suggestions (other than Boog's barbeque). Thanks.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm planning to go to see the Sox in Baltimore at the end of the month. Have never been there. Just wondering if anybody's been to a game and has any suggestions (other than Boog's barbeque). Thanks.
Try not to venture outside the Inner Harbor...

EastCoastSoxFan
07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
...by the way, are you going to be at any of the Cleveland games right after the All-Star break? I'll be at 2 of them...

RedPinStripes
07-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Yup. I'll be there the beginning of August for that Sox series in Baltimore. :bandance: I've never been there.

mccoydp
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm going to one of the games, but have yet to decide on one...won't be an afternoon game because my wife doesn't like the heat of the day games.

wildcat
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
...by the way, are you going to be at any of the Cleveland games right after the All-Star break? I'll be at 2 of them...

I'll be at the Saturday (7/16) game with my parents (they're longtime Tribe fans).

EastCoastSoxFan
07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
The times I have been able to get down there for Saturday games, I usually go to the Cheesecake Factory or some other nice restaurant on the Inner Harbor around 4:30 or so (before the dinner rush) and then walk over to the game.
It's a great park in just about the only decent neighborhood in Baltimore; but, as I said, tread lightly outside the friendly confines of the Inner Harbor...

JermaineDye05
07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
ive been, great stadium, good food, youll have a pretty damn good time

ohiosoxfan
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks- I assume that getting off the expressway and parking in Orioles' lots are the way to go.

robiwho
07-07-2005, 03:58 PM

We have good friends in Baltimore and visit them every couple years. It's a great city and we always have a good time. The inner harbor is a lot of fun, but I don't think venturing away from it is as dire as some of the other posts suggest. Like all cities, Baltimore has nice areas and not-so-nice areas.

I would strongly recommend a trip to Ft. McHenry http://www.nps.gov/fomc/. You can take a water taxi from the Inner Harbor. You'll never feel the same about the national anthem after visiting the place where it was written.

NDSox12
07-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I've been to more than half of the MLB parks. I would have a hard time arguing that any of them are better than Camden Yards (except, U.S. Cellular of course). Its a great park, awesome atmosphere, good fans and as others have said, a very nice area. The Inner Harbor is a great place to spend an afternoon before or after a game.

I'll be at the games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Got to take advantage of the only time the Sox will be in my area all season!

kraut83
07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Ugh, everybody assumes Baltimore = Detroit.

I've been out east 4 years now & have really enjoyed the history & culture of the area. I would reccomend Ft. McHenry as well. It's facinating being able to vizualize what happened there.

As for around gametime, I reccomend a neighborhood called Federal Hill, which is more laid back than the inner harbor. It's about a 15 min walk from Oriole Park, or a quick water taxi ride from the IH. A couple of good pre/post game places to hang out are Sean Bolan's and Ryleigh's.

Enjoy! You'll have a great time. I'll be there for the Fri & Sat games.

iwcup
07-07-2005, 05:09 PM

I've been out east 4 years now & have really enjoyed the history & culture of the area. I would reccomend Ft. McHenry as well. It's facinating being able to vizualize what happened there.

As for around gametime, I reccomend a neighborhood called Federal Hill, which is more laid back than the inner harbor. It's about a 15 min walk from Oriole Park, or a quick water taxi ride from the IH. A couple of good pre/post game places to hang out are Sean Bolan's and Ryleigh's.

What about Canton Square? my favorite place in the world is Nacho Mama's Natty bo's for everyone.......
Would that be too far for pre game?

delben91
07-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks- I assume that getting off the expressway and parking in Orioles' lots are the way to go.

Assuming you're coming in off I-395 you'll have the option of the orioles lots (but you may need a pass for those, I don't recall) or any of about 8 million parking garages in the inner harbor. As you come of the 395 ramp, if you make a right at the 2nd light (Pratt St.? Maybe someone can help, since I moved to NJ I haven't made it back to Baltimore yet) you'll find all sorts of parking garages that you can pick from. Bet on spending $12-15 on parking if you only park during game time, closer to $20 if you get there in time to eat before the game.

Otherwise, the whole inner harbor area is great, and the poster that mentioned Federal Hill is right on as well.

I'll be hitting the Friday, Saturday and Sunday games in my triumphant return to Maryland! Hope to see some of you WSI'ers there.

:gulp:

Randar68
07-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Screw the Inner Harbor, it's a tourist trap and packed as all hell.

Federal Hill is the place to be. Lot's of good restaurants and bars within short walking distance of Camden Yards...

oh, and the city name is pronounced "buhl-duh-mer" said quickly with only a faint pronunciation of the "d"...

Randar68
07-07-2005, 05:53 PM

I love Ryleigh's. Gotta get my growler filled up anytime I'm in the area. Watched the Illini Final Four game there too, what a blast...

Someone mentioned Canton too. Canton is ok, but it's a cab-ride from Camden Yards as opposed to a short walk to Federal Hill.

Also, a great Mexican Restaurant (a little on the pricey side) with GREAT tequila and margarita selections is called "Blue Agave"... Get a reservation if you are planning on going before the game...

pcp1960
07-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Fells Point is a nice area in Baltimore. I was there a few years ago to see the Sox and the Headquarters where the Tv show Homicide Life On The Street was filmed. You can take a water taxi there from the Inner Harbor.

gobears1987
07-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I'd recommend that you bring a few bodyguards Baltimore is almost as bad as Detroit in terms of crime.

SOXintheBURGH
07-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I live near Balmer now.. its a great town. Going to Friday and Monday games.. look for me and Fraulein Burgh wearing Sox hats and matching Buehrle/Early Wynn jerseys.. :gulp:

Baby Fisk
07-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Visit Edgar Allan Poe's gravesite. :cool:

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Make sure to tip a few pints at the Wharf Rat in Fells Point. Great bar, and just a parking lot and an intersection away from Camden Yards.

irish rover
07-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Make sure to tip a few pints at the Wharf Rat in Fells Point. Great bar, and just a parking lot and an intersection away from Camden Yards.

there is a real nice Irish Pub, James Joyce Pub over near the the new Marriott which is over by Fells Point

bigdommer
07-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I'd recommend that you bring a few bodyguards Baltimore is almost as bad as Detroit in terms of crime.

I would disregard this comment as I have lived in Baltimore for a while. Baltimore's crime (every city has it) is isolated to specific areas in Baltimore, none of which are near Camden Yards. I used to live in Chicago, and Baltimore is no more dangerous than Chicago, despite what any statistics might say.

I live in Canton, and the square there is great, but it is about 15 minutes and a $20 cab ride from Camden Yards. Fells Point is about the same distance.

My personal advice would be to park in Federal Hill (many lots for $5). Fed Hill has some nice places to eat, such as Bicycle and Bandaloops, some Mexican (No Way Jose and Blue Agave), some bar and grills (Regi's, McGerk's, Ryleigh's). All of these places are 5-10 minutes from Camden Yards. If your cheap, you can buy all your sodas, dogs, etc on the outside and carry them in, they don't care.

bigdommer
07-08-2005, 09:37 AM

You can walk from Camden Yards to Federal Hill to the Inner Harbor to Little Italy to Fells Point to Canton (about 7 miles across downtown Baltimore) without any fear of any kind of danger. Don't believe everything you read. In fact, I encourage you to venture outside the Inner Harbor, as it is the only touristy part of the city.

krohnjw
07-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I will be at the 07/29 game and if I can convince the gf the 07/28 game too as I picked up another comp day at work :wink:

If anyone has any tips on parking it would be appreciated (coming from the south 295)

The Racehorse
07-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I'll be there at Camden Yards for all four games... probably wearing my custom made SOX hat, but could be wearing my blue Gogh-Go-SOX hat... it'll be a game time decision. :cool:

EastCoastSoxFan
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
You can walk from Camden Yards to Federal Hill to the Inner Harbor to Little Italy to Fells Point to Canton (about 7 miles across downtown Baltimore) without any fear of any kind of danger. Don't believe everything you read. In fact, I encourage you to venture outside the Inner Harbor, as it is the only touristy part of the city.
Sorry, didn't put a whole lot of thought into my initial reply; it's just that a couple of times I got lost trying to get back on the expressway without getting stuck in postgame traffic and ended up in some pretty unsavory neighborhoods.
Perhaps I'll try that walk this when I'm down there this time...

Hokiesox
07-08-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm getting tix for all 4 games. You can park wherever, orioles lots are 8 bucks, and you don't need to "tread lightly" here. Just keep your eyes open, same as every other big city. Dunno why Baltimore gets a bad rap like that. Heck, I'm gonna be around fells point tonight, which is an awesome bar area.

bigdommer
07-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Sorry, didn't put a whole lot of thought into my initial reply; it's just that a couple of times I got lost trying to get back on the expressway without getting stuck in postgame traffic and ended up in some pretty unsavory neighborhoods.
Perhaps I'll try that walk this when I'm down there this time...

No problem. My parents used to think the same thing.

I will be at 2 or 3 of the 4 games. Not sure where I will be before and during the game, but I am sure this thread will come back in a few weeks. My best friend (and diehard Cub fan) is in Baltimore for the series, and he is going to the Friday night game with me. He said, and I quote, "I can't believe I am saying this, but I am actually looking forward to it."

JimH
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Totally agree. Fells Point, Little Italy, Federal Hill are great areas and non touristy. The Inner Harbor is scenic but that's where all the tourists congregate. That's good or bad depending on your POV.

One of our favorites is about 8-10 blocks up from the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore, called the Lexington Market. As the name implies, it's kind of a wholesale meat/produce market where many restaurant owners buy their wares. Several places in the Lexington Market offer casual breakfast and lunches, and it's a slice of real Baltimore. Go all the way in the back end of Lexington Market, and there you'll find the famous John Faidley Seafood area. Oysters and clams on the half shell, fish sandwiches, and crab cakes like you've never had before. Try the softshell crab sandwich for a special treat. It's a great value, and you can get some local beer there too, I believe National Bohemian (Natty Bo) is still being produced for the Baltimore market area by one of the mega brewers.

Don't forget Babe Ruth's boyhood home, in the shadow of Camden Yards. Also there is a good bar across the way from the ballpark, can't recall the exact name, something like The Pickle, you can't help but see it.

In Fells Point, as mentioned above, try The Wharf Rat (brewpub) and a place called Bertha's Mussels, a great beer bar with live local bands. Fells Point stays jumping until the wee hours.

petekat
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
lived in DC/Baltimore, lot to do see- contrary to this guy, avoid the Inner Harbor - unless your idea of a good time is the Banana Republic and drinks at the Hard Rock. lot of great neighborhoods - much like Chicago- check out Fells Point and Canton (5-10 minute drive away) for some great pubs.. and end of the month should be prime Crab time.

One of the best things about Camden Yards is their ticket resale policy. They were the first, and one of the only, to let fans openly resell tickets - provided they dont charge more than face value and do it in a designated area. Recommend waiting until game time if you dont already have tickets- it's a ticket resale area right by the entrance to home plate. They make all the sellers stand behind a rope- and outnumber buyers 5 to 1. TOtal buyer's market- walk in there and it's a feeding frenzy of sellers competing for your attention. Boog's BBQ is ok, better to check out an area called Corned Beef Row though (ask locals- not too far from downtown).

Sox usually draw well there- quite a few Black shirts.
:cool: Have a good time- I'll be out there with some other Sox road-trippers.

petekat
07-08-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah, almost as bad as the South Side of Chicago. Must live a sheltered life

Hokiesox
07-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I would disregard this comment as I have lived in Baltimore for a while. Baltimore's crime (every city has it) is isolated to specific areas in Baltimore, none of which are near Camden Yards. I used to live in Chicago, and Baltimore is no more dangerous than Chicago, despite what any statistics might say.

I live in Canton, and the square there is great, but it is about 15 minutes and a $20 cab ride from Camden Yards. Fells Point is about the same distance.

My personal advice would be to park in Federal Hill (many lots for $5). Fed Hill has some nice places to eat, such as Bicycle and Bandaloops, some Mexican (No Way Jose and Blue Agave), some bar and grills (Regi's, McGerk's, Ryleigh's). All of these places are 5-10 minutes from Camden Yards. If your cheap, you can buy all your sodas, dogs, etc on the outside and carry them in, they don't care.

The Thirsty Dog Saloon makes some GREAT pizza. I go there for Wing Dog pizza all the time. Heck, I was there last night. And their microbrews are great too. It's on cross in between light and Russell (north of the light st. market). Only about a 10 minute walk from the stadium.