PDA

View Full Version : Sox After Griffey?

soxfan123
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I am very sorry if this has already been said because I made this mistake yesterday with the Roger Clemens talk, but, according to ESPN, the Sox, along with other premiere players, are going for Ken Griffey Jr. KW is making my blood warm. I trust him though. Again, I looked everywhere to see if this was already up, but I am sorry if this was already posted.

here is the text:
Red sunset?
<Jul. 7> Will the White Sox pursue Junior? According to the Daily Southtown, the Sox could make a pitch for Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who is on pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But as much as Chicago GM Ken Williams wants to tweak his roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season "We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," Williams told the newspaper. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

Chisox003
07-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I'd **** if this happened....Dont even get me started on why this shouldnt and will never happen...Another stupid RUMOR
:threadblows:

Madvora
07-07-2005, 04:20 PM
I am very sorry if this has already been said because I made this mistake yesterday with the Roger Clemens talk, but, according to ESPN, the Sox, along with other premiere players, are going for Ken Griffey Jr. KW is making my blood warm. I trust him though. Again, I looked everywhere to see if this was already up, but I am sorry if this was already posted.

here is the text:
Red sunset?
<Jul. 7> Will the White Sox pursue Junior? According to the Daily Southtown, the Sox could make a pitch for Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who is on pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But as much as Chicago GM Ken Williams wants to tweak his roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season "We have to be careful here, but nothing will change the fact that we've set our sights on the playoffs," Williams told the newspaper. "If we're fortunate enough to get there, then we'll focus on even greater things."

What reason in the world would they have to go after Griffey? Our outfield is awesome right now. What would be the purpose of this?
Can he pitch?

Mickster
07-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Complete B.S. This is exactly how rumors start. The article in question is HERE (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x07-lad1.htm).

The referenced opinion of Ladweski from the article is:

Problem is, as much as Williams wants to tweak the roster, he has to be careful not to disrupt team chemistry, which ranks on the short list of reasons for team success this season.

For instance, the Sox could make a pitch for Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., who at last check was on a pace for 30 home runs and 100-plus RBI and appears to be over his injury problems. Griffey is a left-handed swinger and has loads of postseason experience, both of which the Sox lack.

But if you acquire Griffey, what do you tell Aaron Rowand, a guy who has run through the wall for you the last three seasons? Well, it's like this, Aaron: We really do appreciate all you've done for us, but we have a chance to acquire a future Hall of Famer who can make us better. So why don't you grab some bench for a while?

Nowhere does KW say that he's interested in Griffey. This is but a pipedream of crack-smoking Ladewski. Now it will be on the air-waves as a rumor. This is ridiculous.

daveeym
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd **** if this happened....Dont even get me started on why this shouldnt and will never happen...Another stupid RUMOR

Bah, the idea blows but the thread's alright. It was printed in a local paper so it will be commented on.

Kogs35
07-07-2005, 04:30 PM
What reason in the world would they have to go after Griffey? Our outfield is awesome right now. What would be the purpose of this?
Can he pitch?

no reason the daily southtown is tabloid just like the espn insider

Soxzilla
07-07-2005, 04:46 PM
It would still be cool to see Griffey Jr. hitting in front of Frank Thomas....:bandance:

Mr. White Sox
07-07-2005, 04:48 PM
These threads/rumors are getting absurd. Why would KW trade for another OF? we're FINE at OF! The better the team, the more rumors abound.

mdep524
07-07-2005, 04:52 PM
It would still be cool to see Griffey Jr. hitting in front of Frank Thomas....:bandance: Yeah, you have to admit that in some alternative universe it would be extremely cool to take a step back and see Griffey and Frank in the same line up. It would be really exciting.

Unfortunately, in this universe it makes no sense for countless reasons.

soxfan123
07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
One thing that is not suitable for me is the difference between the intensely positive attitude this team has and Griffey's individualistic attitude. At least that's the image he presents with his home run trot and what not. However, teams with flashy players and mere talent have gone all the way before and Jr. is a wonderful outfielder with one of the best bats of the last 15 years. I WOULD NOT give up Aaron Rowand, though maybe a prospect or two. Think of that outfield: Podsednik(All-Star) Griffey (HOF) and Dye (Should be All-Star).

On another note, if we are going for a big name on the market, it has to be Roger Clemens. He is one of the best competitors that this game knows and I am sure Ozzie will LOVE his attitude.

LongLiveFisk
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
What is this now, the 4th or 5th time he's been rumored to be coming here? :rolleyes:

ATXBMX
07-07-2005, 06:56 PM
The Daily Southtown must be really desperate for readers. They keep thinking up bizarre trade scenarios, then shoot down realistic ones. Of all the outfielders in Cincinnati, why Griffey? Dunn, Pena, or Kearns should have higher trade value than an old injury prone Griffey.

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 06:57 PM
And Griffey is an upgrade over what the Sox have?

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Where was I when Jr. was amassing "loads of playoff experience"?

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Where was I when Jr. was amassing "loads of playoff experience"?um 95, 96, and 97.

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
um 95, 96, and 97.

3 appearances, the most recent 8 years ago? I didnt know that was considered "loads". My mistake. :?:

NSSoxFan
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
People really believe Griffey's injuries are behind him?

Stay away, stay far, far away.

Foulke You
07-07-2005, 09:26 PM
This would almost be intriguing if Griffey could be trusted not to disrupt chemistry and stay healthy. Those are two big "ifs", but nobody could argue that Griffey was one of the most dominant hitters of the '90s and still is a dangerous hitter today and is putting together a pretty nice season with little protection in a woeful Reds lineup. Not to mention the "World Serious" PR associated with landing a huge name like Griffey. I'm not saying he is the missing piece, I'm just talking about the perception that would be there from the average fan. Having Griffey in the lineup between Frank, Konerko, Dye would make for a fearsome foursome. Still, it seems too risky of a gamble to me even if the Reds were willing to eat a lot of salary.

A previous poster is correct, this Griffey to the Sox rumor has been around for at least 3 years now except it used to include us trading Magglio Ordonez. However, I believe Daver posted the details of Griffey's contract last year as reason #1 why the deal is unlikely to ever happen. I don't remember the exact numbers but the Reds are on the hook for a TON of guaranteed money on Griffey's massive 10 year contract. The Reds would have to be willing to eat a chunk of that for the Sox to consider a deal.

gosox41
07-07-2005, 09:43 PM

I agree. This shouldn't happen. Period.

Bob

Brian26
07-07-2005, 10:01 PM

You'd be an idiot to trade Rowand straight up for Griffey. The rumor is absolute bunk.

Brian26
07-07-2005, 10:04 PM
This would almost be intriguing if Griffey could be trusted not to disrupt chemistry and stay healthy.

Where the hell is he going to play? I wouldn't start him over our LF, CF, RF or DH at this point, and that doesn't count Everett and possibly Gload on the bench. Ridiculous crap.

Chicago83
07-07-2005, 10:14 PM
I am a big fan of Griffey, but I don't understand why we need him, unless we drop Konerko and put Dye at first. Acutally it makes no sense at all. Rowand for Griffey is a possible deal, but personally I love what Aaron brings to the field even if his offensive numbers would not equal Griffeys.

This is very interesting, but I just don't understand.

Tragg
07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
um 95, 96, and 97.

95 and 97.
Not 96

Have to agree with the poster above - that's not "loads"

The year after he left, the Mariners proceeded to their 4 winningest regular seasons in their history.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 10:35 PM
i have nothing worthwhile to add to the meat of this thread, but I just wanted to comment on how the title of this thread made me chuckle.

Think "Sox after marriage?" :wink:

Lip Man 1
07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Paul Ladewski in the Daily Southtown has a column on this Friday. Obviously someone is saying something about this somewhere.

Lip

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 12:36 PM
95 and 97.
Not 96

Have to agree with the poster above - that's not "loads"

The year after he left, the Mariners proceeded to their 4 winningest regular seasons in their history.Good point it was the Rangers who made it that year. Why trade a guy like Rowand who could become a future All Star for Griffey who is an injury waiting to happen. This isn't the Same Ken Griffey Jr. and he is not even a guy who will sell tickets anymore. That was 6 years ago.

ShoelessJoeS
07-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Where the hell is he going to play? I wouldn't start him over our LF, CF, RF or DH at this point, and that doesn't count Everett and possibly Gload on the bench. Ridiculous crap.
i completely agree, i dont consider griffey an upgrade in any position that he can play...once gload returns, thats our lefty off the bench, we dont need Jr...GMAB

Mickster
07-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Paul Ladewski in the Daily Southtown has a column on this Friday. Obviously someone is saying something about this somewhere.

Lip

I do not see a Ledewski column today. The only column that he has written on the subject is where he brings up the idea himself and it is quoted and linked by me earlier in this thread. This is complete bunk.

Ol' No. 2
07-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I do not see a Ledewski column today. The only column that he has written on the subject is where he brings up the idea himself and it is quoted and linked by me earlier in this thread. This is complete bunk.Ditto for the Vizquel rumor, which comes from the same source. It continually amazes me how the idle daydreams of one writer can morph into such a ridiculous rumor.

IhaveNoBallsandGirlfriendhasCancer
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Well I don't want either Vizquel or Griffey

Rocklive99
07-08-2005, 01:19 PM
This makes 0 sense. Maybe another Mike North joke. SP or bust for me Kenny

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Assume the Sox are pleased with what they've seen of Dye playing first base during batting practice/warm-ups, and they give him some more starts at first to rest Paul Konerko. Then, let's assume Dye plays a strong first base while continuing to hit well. If things developed that way, here's my deepink/what's the score fantasy:

1. Trade Paul Konerko to the Houston Astros for prospects. Konerko could take advantage of the short left-field fence in Minnute Maid Park to bring the team a much-needed infusion of power as they embark on a quest for the NL Wild Card. Lance Berkman has experience playing left field for the Astros, so they definitely could accommodate Paulie, who has the added benefit of being a notorious Cub-killer.

2. Move Dye to first base full-time, with Gload as his backup.

3. Send the prospects obtained from Houston (and perhaps another one or two from the Sox system) to the Cincinnati Reds for Ken Griffey, Jr. and cash. The Reds ought to be very happy to unload his contract. The better the prospects the Sox send, the more likely the Reds might be to pick up a larger portion of the money remaining in Junior's long-term deal.

4. Make Junior the starting right fielder. While he's not the same as he was in his 1990s prime, he's played injury-free this year and still has a strong left-handed power stroke, a rifle arm and decent range in the field. The Sox still would have Everett and Dye to back him up in the field.

Junior, like Big Frank, has never won a World Series. Beyond what he would bring to the table offensively as a left-handed power threat and defensively as a right fielder, how great would it be to see two of the greatest - and non-juiced - power hitters of the modern era pursue a World Series championship as teammates?

:supernana:

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Yeah, you have to admit that in some alternative universe it would be extremely cool to take a step back and see Griffey and Frank in the same line up. It would be really exciting.

Unfortunately, in this universe it makes no sense for countless reasons.

Yeah,it would be great if Frank and Griffey were in their 1994 modes.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But,as you mentioned,this makes no sense for far too many reasons.:gulp:

Lip Man 1
07-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Here's the Ladewski link for what it's worth:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x07-lad1.htm

Lip

TheOldRoman
07-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Assume the Sox are pleased with what they've seen of Dye playing first base during batting practice/warm-ups, and they give him some more starts at first to rest Paul Konerko. Then, let's assume Dye plays a strong first base while continuing to hit well. If things developed that way, here's my deepink/what's the score fantasy:

1. Trade Paul Konerko to the Houston Astros for prospects. Konerko could take advantage of the short left-field fence in Minnute Maid Park to bring the team a much-needed infusion of power as they embark on a quest for the NL Wild Card. Lance Berkman has experience playing left field for the Astros, so they definitely could accommodate Paulie, who has the added benefit of being a notorious Cub-killer.

3. Send the prospects obtained from Houston (and perhaps another one or two from the Sox system) to the Cincinnati Reds for Ken Griffey, Jr. and cash. The Reds ought to be very happy to unload his contract. The better the prospects the Sox send, the more likely the Reds might be to pick up a larger portion of the money remaining in Junior's long-term deal.

4. Make Junior the starting right fielder. While he's not the same as he was in his 1990s prime, he's played injury-free this year and still has a strong left-handed power stroke, a rifle arm and decent range in the field. The Sox still would have Everett and Dye to back him up in the field.

Junior, like Big Frank, has never won a World Series. Beyond what he would bring to the table offensively as a left-handed power threat and defensively as a right fielder, how great would it be to see two of the greatest - and non-juiced - power hitters of the modern era pursue a World Series championship as teammates?

I like the idea, especially the getting rid of Konerko part, but it will never happen. First of all, Griffey has been healthy this year, but he hasn't played a full season since 2000. The biggest problem is his contract. He is making $11-13mil a year until 2008. I wouldn't pay any more than $6mil a year, and that would still be a huge gamble. He is having his best season in years - .288, 17 homers, and 55 RBI through 81 games. If we got Griffey and he was healthy, he would greatly improve this team. However, it wont happen. Konerko will continue to crap his pants and call out teammates while hitting in the mid .200s until KW tells him goodbye and some other GM is dumb enough to overpay for him.

Chicago83
07-09-2005, 03:33 AM
I would love to see a 3-4 combo of Thomas-Griffey. But sticking Dye at first is a bad idea and a waste of a solid arm. Dye's RF play has been great and has only played one game at 1B. Griffey looks to be solid this year, but how could you take on that contract with his injury problems? His contract could possibly cripple a team with an otherwise bright future. It's a bad idea,but if Griffey had one more year on his contract I would say go for it.

ballclub3
07-09-2005, 03:54 AM
Ken Griffey Jr. would be a huge upgrade offensively over Aaron Rowand. Why is everyone so enamored with Aaron Rowand? He plays pretty good defense but to me his offense is just mediocre. Griffey's power numbers are much better than Rowand's and Griffey's batting average is also higher. Yeah, he'd be a significant offensive upgrade over the light hitting Aaron Rowand. The White Sox outfield prospects are the strongest part of their farm system. They could deal a young player like Rowand and they would hardly miss him. I'd rather they deal Rowand over a Brian Anderson or a Chris Young. I also wouldn't mind to see them deal the light hitting Ryan Sweeney (if not for Griffey, then in another deal).

The main problem with acquiring Griffey is his contract. How much of the contract, if any, will Cincinnati eat? The White Sox have their best opportunity in many years to win a championship and Ken Griffey Jr. may put them over the top. Acquiring Griffey is something you'd have to seriously consider.

Chicago83
07-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Ken Griffey Jr. would be a huge upgrade offensively over Aaron Rowand. Why is everyone so enamored with Aaron Rowand? He plays pretty good defense but to me his offense is just mediocre. Griffey's power numbers are much better than Rowand's and Griffey's batting average is also higher. Yeah, he'd be a significant offensive upgrade over the light hitting Aaron Rowand. The White Sox outfield prospects are the strongest part of their farm system. They could deal a young player like Rowand and they would hardly miss him. I'd rather they deal Rowand over a Brian Anderson or a Chris Young. I also wouldn't mind to see them deal the light hitting Ryan Sweeney (if not for Griffey, then in another deal).

The main problem with acquiring Griffey is his contract. How much of the contract, if any, will Cincinnati eat? The White Sox have their best opportunity in many years to win a championship and Ken Griffey Jr. may put them over the top. Acquiring Griffey is something you'd have to seriously consider.

Rowand is a whole lot cheaper and at least as good of a defender. I don't think anyone will try to say that Rowand is better than Griffey, but he is younger and more durable. Rowand has been good enough offensively this year, not great but his D has made up for that. Besides he's a fan favorite.

ballclub3
07-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Rowand is a whole lot cheaper and at least as good of a defender. I don't think anyone will try to say that Rowand is better than Griffey, but he is younger and more durable. Rowand has been good enough offensively this year, not great but his D has made up for that. Besides he's a fan favorite.

The White Sox desperately need another bat in that lineup. Adding a Griffey to that lineup would be a big help if he can stay healthy. I think they need another bat more than they need another starting pitcher. If Griffey isn't as good defensively as Rowand, his bat makes up for it. What the Sox need is more offense and they should be willing to sacrifice some defense if they could get a big uprade in offense.

I think Rowand is a fan favorite because of his intangibles like his hustle, etc. But sometimes you have to give up a fan favorite to improve your club. Wouldn't it be nice if the fans would actually pick someone better than average to make one of their favorites!

Optipessimism
07-09-2005, 06:28 AM
You don't just make a move for a veteran with a huge contract with several years remaining overnight, especially when the player you are considering is susceptible to frequent injury and decline and is in the midst of his first healthy season in years. These types of moves are rarely made because it can very easily turn into organizational suicide, and when they are done, they have been thought over and planned out for some time. In other words, a deal for a guy like Griffey - to any team, not just the Sox - gets done in the offseason if it gets done at all. This is the type of move that you only make once you realize that you have a hole in a corner OF spot and you desperately need a lefty power bat. And furthermore, this type of move is ONLY made if you have exhausted all of your other options and have no one else to turn to. In some cases, a big name player who is a big time risk gets moved - see Sosa, Sammy - but usually the team taking on the contract only has a year or two left to pay if things don't ,work out. This is NOT the case with Griffey.

I believe Kenny wants a lefty bat with power, which is why he made a run at Chavez. I can see him making a run at a guy like Huff or Overbay if either are available, but the last thing he is going to do is just run out and grab Ken Griffey Jr. Yeah, people here may love it for the moment, but two years from now we all could be calling for KW's head and referring to the Griffey deal as the Todd Ritchie deal Version 2 with 50 times the reprocussions.

In short, as great as it would be to see Griffey hitting in front of Big Frank in Game 1 of the ALDS, it will not happen. I have enough faith in our GM to believe he will not make such a deal. All the Griffey talk is nothing more than a few fans and day dreaming journalists fantasizing over the idea of a future Hall of Famer returning to glory in the postseason. It would be wonderful story, but I don't see a happy ending in this one. As sad as it is, twenty bucks says the legacy of Ken Griffey Jr. will die in Cincinnati.

Tragg
07-09-2005, 09:19 AM

I don't know if I would do that deal but if I did want to do that deal (doesn't griffey have just a real bad contract - nothing like one of those to screw us up for several years), just set it up as a pure 3-way and let the reds pick the astros prospects that they want- they probably have better pickings than we do anyway.

Mickster
07-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Here's the Ladewski link for what it's worth:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/ladewski/x07-lad1.htm

Lip

This is the exact same link that I quited in post #4 on page 1 of this thread. Ladewski is the one who started this rumour.

Brian26
07-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Ken Griffey Jr. would be a huge upgrade offensively over Aaron Rowand. Why is everyone so enamored with Aaron Rowand?

A huge upgrade? Maybe on Playstation Baseball, but that's where it ends. Man, I'm glad you're not the GM.

Griffey has hit .253, .246, and .264 in his last three years. Griffey had 20 hrs last year (granted, shortened season due to injuries).

Rowand has hit .290, .310, and .287. Rowand had 24 hrs last year.

Rowand is better in a heartbeat.

Flight #24
07-09-2005, 10:56 AM
This is the exact same link that I quited in post #4 on page 1 of this thread. Ladewski is the one who started this rumour.

And you know what - even he didn't classify it as a rumor. It was more an example of "even if you get Griffey, what do you tell ARow who's given his all for this team so far. What impact might that have on chemistry?".

It's not a trade scenario, it's a hypothetical example being used to demonstrate the point that even if you get an upgrade, it's tough to tell a contributor and team-first guy on the best team in baseball "Thanks, now take a seat". He concludes that you can & should do that, but he's not advocating trading for Griffey. Just that they shouldn't not trade because they're worried about chemistry.

Just because the morons at ESPN, etc can't tell the difference doesn't make it anything more than it is.

Brian26
07-09-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't think anyone will try to say that Rowand is better than Griffey, but he is younger and more durable.

I'm saying he's better than Griffey. Too many people drinking Griffey kool-aid around here.

Chicago83
07-09-2005, 01:41 PM
A huge upgrade? Maybe on Playstation Baseball, but that's where it ends. Man, I'm glad you're not the GM.

Griffey has hit .253, .246, and .264 in his last three years. Griffey had 20 hrs last year (granted, shortened season due to injuries).

If he's healthy Griffey is a better hitter, look at the stats so far this year and you will see who is better. Griffey had 20 HR last year in half a season. I am not trying to support the trade, but I am just pointing out that Griffey is a considerable offensive upgrade over Rowand. But Rowand, well he's a grinder.

Tragg
07-09-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm saying he's better than Griffey. Too many people drinking Griffey kool-aid around here.

And whether or not he's better than Griffey, he's cheaper, younger, more durable.
Griffey's had several bad years and he's playing in the best hitting park in the majors.

Foulke You
07-09-2005, 10:13 PM
If he's healthy Griffey is a better hitter, look at the stats so far this year and you will see who is better. Griffey had 20 HR last year in half a season. I am not trying to support the trade, but I am just pointing out that Griffey is a considerable offensive upgrade over Rowand. But Rowand, well he's a grinder.
Exactly. When healthy, there is no question that Griffey is a superior offensive player to Rowand. I think our friend Brian26 is sipping the Rowand kool-aid too much to look at this objectively. I like Rowand, I think he is a fine player however to say that Rowand's offense is superior to Griffey's offense is looking at the world through silver and black colored glasses. Griffey's career numbers include 518 HRs, a .558 slg%, .376OBP, 422 Doubles, 2246 Hits and btw, he also hits left handed! I'd say that qualifies as being offensively superior. Even if you just take a look at the head to head offensive numbers for THIS year, it is pretty obvious Griffey is having the much better season in '05 despite being mired in a woeful Reds lineup. Also, keep in mind, Rowand has had a ton of games batting in the 3 spot this year behind two really good table setters in Podsednik and Iguchi:

GRIFFEY .289 Avg 17HRs 58RBI .524SLG%
ROWAND .273 Avg 5HRs 33RBIs .384SLG%

I'm not saying we need to do the Griffey deal. I'm just pointing out that a left handed offensive player of Griffey's caliber is intriguing and worth taking a look at if the right deal can be made. (Reds paying lots of contract, not giving up too much, etc) Especially one who is a defensive equivalent to Rowand in CF.

ballclub3
07-10-2005, 03:44 AM

Dude, Griffey blows away Aaron Rowand offensively. It's not even close. Rowand's 2004 season may have been a career year for him. He's an average offensive player. When Griffey is healthy, he is a stud offensive player, even at his current age. If both guys play a full season healthy, Griffey's power numbers would likely be much stronger than Rowand's. Rowand may have a chance at hitting for a higher average but even that is very much in question. If you took a survey of GMs, coaches, players, and unbiased fans around the league and asked them who is better between these two offensively when both are healthy, they would be virtually unanimous in saying Griffey is better. Much better. Look at the power numbers, not just batting average. Do you seriously think when both are healthy that Rowand will hit more home runs, more doubles, and have a higher slugging percentage than Griffey? It's highly unlikely.

soxfanreggie
07-10-2005, 10:35 AM
While it would be really nice to have Griffey, the money it will take to get him and the opportunity cost of what we could do with the prospects and other players that it would take to get him is tremendous. Unless they think that Konerko could go to the Reds, Dye to 1B, Rowand to right, and Griffey to center, this would be a very expensive move, especially since the Reds have a 1B.

Who knows what will happen, but I don't think this would be the best option.

nedlug
07-10-2005, 12:23 PM

Yes, he would be.

gosox41
07-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes, he would be.

I'm betting Griffey has a significant injury at some point in '05. Hopefully it's not with the Sox.

Bob