PDA

View Full Version : Cubs continue to slide.

Chicago83
07-07-2005, 02:36 PM
7 in a row with a Williams-Smoltz matchup tonight. They are looking at third and maybe even fourth place very soon. How long until they start selling? We could use a guy like Glendon Rusch.

cleanwsox
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
7 in a row with a Williams-Smoltz matchup tonight. They are looking at third and maybe even fourth place very soon. How long until they start selling? We could use a guy like Glendon Rusch.

Besides Lee and Ramirez, I don't think there is anybody on the North side I would want. I hate their pitchers too much to even think about them wearing a Sox jersey.... ew.

CHISOXFAN13
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM

They were already in third before today's stellar performance.

Chicago83
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Besides Lee and Ramirez, I don't think there is anybody on the North side I would want. I hate their pitchers too much to even think about them wearing a Sox jersey.... ew.

No way they trade Lee, especially not to us. I wouldn't want Aramis and his long term contact. Rusch could be a spot starter, taking starts for El Duque and coming out of the pen in the playoffs.

DumpJerry
07-07-2005, 03:10 PM
While the Sox are flying under the radar (but not for much longer), the Flubs have fallen off the radar screen!

SOXPHILE
07-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Because I'm a sadist when it comes to the Cubs losing and causing their fans, manager, and Ron Santo great angst, I heard on the Score that they were losing 6-0 in the 8th, so I turned on Radio For The Living Dead/Criminally Stupid, 720 WGN, to hear the end of the game and laugh. Hughes is trying so hard to be upbeat, and Mr. Hair Piece sounds like he's ready to jump off the roof of The Cubby Bear. Then, the quote of the day: After the end of the game, Hughes tells Santo it's time for him to name the "Chevy Cubs Player of the Game", and Santo grunts and "uhhhs" a few times, saying he can't really think of anyone that deserves it, so he gives it to Hughes. He says he did such a good job staying upbeat during the game, so he gets the award. AAAAAHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!

Madvora
07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
How long until they start selling? We could use a guy like Glendon Rusch.
Mac on ESPN1000 actually brought that up to Bruce Levine last night. I was thinking about that myself. He could help. I'd rather have a big timer though, if we could get one.

daveeym
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Because I'm a sadist when it comes to the Cubs losing and causing their fans, manager, and Ron Santo great angst, I heard on the Score that they were losing 6-0 in the 8th, so I turned on Radio For The Living Dead/Criminally Stupid, 720 WGN, to hear the end of the game and laugh. Hughes is trying so hard to be upbeat, and Mr. Hair Piece sounds like he's ready to jump off the roof of The Cubby Bear. Then, the quote of the day: After the end of the game, Hughes tells Santo it's time for him to name the "Chevy Cubs Player of the Game", and Santo grunts and "uhhhs" a few times, saying he can't really think of anyone that deserves it, so he gives it to Hughes. He says he did such a good job staying upbeat during the game, so he gets the award. AAAAAHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!! Sounds like the smartest thing ever to come out of Santo's mouth.

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2005, 03:37 PM
They were already in third before today's stellar performance.:tealpolice: Emergency!

LongLiveFisk
07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Because I'm a sadist when it comes to the Cubs losing and causing their fans, manager, and Ron Santo great angst, I heard on the Score that they were losing 6-0 in the 8th, so I turned on Radio For The Living Dead/Criminally Stupid, 720 WGN, to hear the end of the game and laugh. Hughes is trying so hard to be upbeat, and Mr. Hair Piece sounds like he's ready to jump off the roof of The Cubby Bear. Then, the quote of the day: After the end of the game, Hughes tells Santo it's time for him to name the "Chevy Cubs Player of the Game", and Santo grunts and "uhhhs" a few times, saying he can't really think of anyone that deserves it, so he gives it to Hughes. He says he did such a good job staying upbeat during the game, so he gets the award. AAAAAHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!

LOL...thanks for sharing. I'm not a sadist by any means but your description of what happened definitely had me laughing. :)

chisoxfan64
07-07-2005, 05:54 PM
I would not want to see the Sox get anyone from the scrubs. After we won the World Series, all we would hear is that it was because of the scrub savior we picked up. No thank you.

34rancher
07-07-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd take Patterson. I bet you Ozzie could do wonders with him. Also, imagine him in right with Rowand and Pods. Talk about covering some ground

gobears1987
07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I'd take Patterson. I bet you Ozzie could do wonders with him. Also, imagine him in right with Rowand and Pods. Talk about covering some ground
Yeah real bright, take his crappy bat and bench Dye?:rolleyes:

NSSoxFan
07-07-2005, 06:09 PM

Are you kidding 34? Besides not having a place for Dye to play, where in the heck would you bat Patterson? This guy is a classic case of a small fool trying to hit HR's.

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Are you kidding 34? Besides not having a place for Dye to play, where in the heck would you bat Patterson? This guy is a classic case of a small fool trying to hit HR's.He has "concentrated" muscle. It doesn't look big, but it is. Dusty can't figure out where to put him, he's a possible 200 K guy. That disgusting OBP of .270 enough to keep him untradeable.

NSSoxFan
07-07-2005, 06:26 PM
He has "concentrated" muscle. It doesn't look big, but it is. Dusty can't figure out where to put him, he's a possible 200 K guy. That disgusting OBP of .270 enough to keep him untradeable.

I guarantee that there is a Ken Griffey Jr. highlight reel going on in Patterson's head 24/7.

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
I guarantee that there is a Ken Griffey Jr. highlight reel going on in Patterson's head 24/7.Wouldn't surprise me if there was.

shoota
07-07-2005, 06:46 PM
He has "concentrated" muscle. It doesn't look big, but it is. Dusty can't figure out where to put him, he's a possible 200 K guy. That disgusting OBP of .270 enough to keep him untradeable.

Patterson has jacked up muscles on a small frame, but he lacks mass. Big biceps cannot substitute for overall body mass when it comes to strength and power.

What's ironic is that Patterson doesn't realize that his muscles and talent are much rarer than mass-endowed power hitters, yet he greatly undervalues his talent and greatly overvalues dime-a-dozen power hitting talent. As Red would say: "What a dumbass."

RallyBowl
07-07-2005, 07:00 PM
7 in a row with a Williams-Smoltz matchup tonight. They are looking at third and maybe even fourth place very soon. How long until they start selling? We could use a guy like Glendon Rusch.:bundy

RallyBowl
07-07-2005, 07:00 PM
I'd take Patterson. I bet you Ozzie could do wonders with him. Also, imagine him in right with Rowand and Pods. Talk about covering some ground:bundy

Foulke You
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
I'd stay far away from K-orey Patterson. A strikeout machine. An underachiever. A headcase. Terrible OBP. Sees the fewest amount of pitches per AB in teh L3.23 according to the Sun Times today. Why on God's green Earth would you want to replace Jermaine Dye with the Cubs "can't miss" nightmare?

PeteWard
07-07-2005, 09:13 PM
It could reach 11 with three in Florida this weekend.:D:

Trib headline: "Cubs position themselves for dramatic second half run."

chisoxfan64
07-07-2005, 09:17 PM
I`m woo happy woo for woo them woo.

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I think I read a post today on how we should trade for Rusch. Not too many teams lose a double header, but then they aren't just ANY team:bandance:

tebman
07-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Emergency board meeting at the Tribune?

Tragg
07-07-2005, 09:20 PM
How can the best starting staff in the history of baseball have jerome williams as a member of the rotation?

RadioheadRocks
07-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Hmmmm, and wasn't everybody in the media saying how it's a Cub town after the series at the Cell?

ROFLMFAO :D:

Chicago83
07-07-2005, 09:26 PM

Santo is the worst baseball announcers in history. It's funny to listen to him when the cubs are losing. Did you hear his call of the second game? Oh man...

cheeses_h_rice
07-07-2005, 09:30 PM
CUBS ON PACE TO SHATTER HOME ATTENDANCE RECORD
Team looks to leapfrog Houston to position itself for history-making second half.

Idle White Sox only gain half a game on surging Twins.

JB98
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
After Wood and Prior come back, the Cubs will be able to avoid long losing streaks.

PeteWard
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Santo is the worst baseball announcers in history. It's funny to listen to him when the cubs are losing. Did you hear his call of the second game? Oh man...

My low point as a Sox fan was that season in the mid 70's (75?) when he played for the Sox.

Brian26
07-07-2005, 09:37 PM

He's absolutely atrocious. He's 10 times worse than Harry was at the very end. Honestly, I find it sad listening to him struggle on the air the way he does. It's a train wreck.

Tragg
07-07-2005, 09:40 PM
I think I read a post today on how we should trade for Rusch. Not too many teams lose a double header, but then they aren't just ANY team:bandance:

He'd be one of those serviceable fifth starters that we could get for, say, Timo and an A ball prospect. Timo is better than 2/3 of their outfield.

Whitesox029
07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
He's absolutely atrocious. He's 10 times worse than Harry was at the very end. Honestly, I find it sad listening to him struggle on the air the way he does. It's a train wreck.
Except in his case it's not because he's old; it's because he was never meant to be an announcer. He's a sentimental fan favorite for Cubs fans. If you asked one of the few smart ones, they would admit that he's a terrible announcer.

slavko
07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Say what you will about Pat Hughes, but he has carried Santo's sorry ass on his back for a long time and tried his best to make the dope look halfway good.

RadioheadRocks
07-07-2005, 09:55 PM
My low point as a Sox fan was that season in the mid 70's (75?) when he played for the Sox.

Close... it was actually 1974 (although he appeared on his 1975 Topps baseball card as a member of the White Sox, so I can understand your thinking that way).

Whitesox029
07-07-2005, 09:56 PM
CUBS ON PACE TO SHATTER HOME ATTENDANCE RECORD
Team looks to leapfrog Houston to position itself for history-making second half.

Idle White Sox only gain half a game on surging Twins.
<---[Backwashes mouthful of smoothie, almost dies laughing]
:roflmao: :rolling:

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Dusty Baker revamped the Chicago Cubs (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/chc/)' 2004 roster in an attempt to build a team that can play "winning baseball." Now that the Nationals have swept the Cubs at Wrigley and the Braves are taking them to school, when will the time be right for the Cubs to cut their losses and let Dusty go?

Greg Harwood
Nashville, Tenn. I don't think it's time for Dusty to go. He has completely changed the mindset of the organization and turned them into contenders. Also, I'm not making excuses, but it's tough to win when Mark Prior (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6787/), Kerry Wood (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5982/) and Nomar Garciaparra (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5706/) haven't been healthy the past two seasons. <<<Ryno's answer:D: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-mailbag070705&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Banix12
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
The only thing of interest here is that unless they can sweep the Marlins this weekend they are pretty much through for this year. And with this little run of high expectations over the last few years, they should be prepared for a lot of boos from their always supportive fans. Keep an eye on the tribune to see who the first player canned is.

A.T. Money
07-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Here is my thought!

I made this myself! :bandance:

http://home.comcast.net/~tpabich/cubsseason.jpg

PeteWard
07-07-2005, 10:20 PM

I don't like using selective anecdotal stuff on people but here is what happened today....
The Cubs blew a 4-3 lead when Jones' two-run shot chased reliever Roberto Novoa (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7389) (2-2). Francoeur, an outfielder considered the top prospect in the Atlanta organization, was called up from Double-A Mississippi earlier in the day and he homered off Glendon Rusch for his first career hit.

TDog
07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Talk about nightmares in vivid Cubbie blue. Consider:

Your team can't win even with pitchers that EVERYONE in the media raves about.

Sure they were loveable when they were losing, but everyone has been saying since the beginning of LAST season that this team will be headed to the World Series and the Cubs have still managed losing streaks of at least seven games twice before the All-Star break.

Actually attending the games is a more expensive and bigger hassle than ever, and if you can get to the park, watching for falling debris is recommended.

The CARDINALS are running away with your division for the second year in a row.

The WHITE SOX have baseball's best record and appear to be on their way to hosting Chicago's only postseason baseball this year with a team that has had winning streaks of 8 games thrice before the All-Star break.

Not that I'm gloating. Enjoying my own team's magical season is enough for me, but it's nice to shut down those annoying Cubs fans for awhile.

A.T. Money
07-07-2005, 10:28 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~tpabich/cubsseason.jpg

SOXfnNlansing
07-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Here is my thought!

I made this myself! :bandance:

http://home.comcast.net/~tpabich/cubsseason.jpg I luvved that!!!!!

sthbndsox
07-07-2005, 11:19 PM
my thoughts: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 14 games back! hahahahaha

JB98
07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
The Cubs took a brief 2-0 lead in the fourth inning of tonight's nightcap in Atlanta. Until then, they had not held a lead at any point for 69 consecutive innings, a new club record for futility. Not even the team that started 0-14 could say that. The Cubs fans and the media were right. This truly is a special Cubbie team.

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2005, 11:41 PM
The Cubs took a brief 2-0 lead in the fourth inning of tonight's nightcap in Atlanta. Until then, they had not held a lead at any point for 69 consecutive innings, a new club record for futility. Not even the team that started 0-14 could say that. The Cubs fans and the media were right. This truly is a special Cubbie team.

There are two things that make that 69 consecutive innings appropriate. First off, what happened in 1969. Secondly, what the number symbolizes.

:D:

34rancher
07-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Yeah real bright, take his crappy bat and bench Dye?:rolleyes:
As insurance if Dye gets hurt or needs someone to run for him late in the game? Plus, JD is no spring chicken and is going to need some days off in the future. Or if he plays more first. Maybe, I just have too much faith in our coaching staff (tell me Ozzie, Walker and Raines wouldn't be great for this guy), but I think our coaches are just better at helping a player develop and utilzing that players strengths. I think that Patterson is just a real coach away from being an all-star. By a coach, I mean someone that will work and develop, i.e. not anyone on the northside teams. I just hope someone teaches this guy and doesn't just tell him to do something. This guy gets traded, and he will be a stud. If he stays in that organization, he is doomed. I may be wrong, but he really does have some serious talent.

Banix12
07-08-2005, 12:29 AM
I don't mind santo so much, he's not one of the great announcers and he is a terrible homer (though I never think being a homer is really a problem) but he is kinda fun to listen to when everything is going wrong for the cubs. Hughes speaks while all you hear are bizzare sighs,"oh jeez" and grunts coming from the microphone next to him. He's not great but he's at least an original, and these days it's hard to find original voices in sports broadcasting.

It's also painfully obvious from listening to him that he hates the 2005 incarnation of the Cubs as much as anybody and wants the season to end soon.

Pat Hughes does carry him though, I actually do think Pat is a good announcer.

Banix12
07-08-2005, 12:40 AM
As insurance if Dye gets hurt or needs someone to run for him late in the game? Plus, JD is no spring chicken and is going to need some days off in the future. Or if he plays more first. Maybe, I just have too much faith in our coaching staff (tell me Ozzie, Walker and Raines wouldn't be great for this guy), but I think our coaches are just better at helping a player develop and utilzing that players strengths. I think that Patterson is just a real coach away from being an all-star. By a coach, I mean someone that will work and develop, i.e. not anyone on the northside teams. I just hope someone teaches this guy and doesn't just tell him to do something. This guy gets traded, and he will be a stud. If he stays in that organization, he is doomed. I may be wrong, but he really does have some serious talent.

I think he could be a good player one day. Certainly I think the cubs organization has confused him over the years. In the minors before he came to the majors he was batting 3rd and 4th all the time and was trained to be a slugger and then they call him up and try to turn him into a leadoff man in the major leagues when he'd never really been asked to do so in the minors.

Nobody knows his role and what role he can fit into. He hasn't yet hit enough homers to be a 3-4-5 hitter in the majors. He doesn't get on base enough to leadoff. He's not good enough on the base paths to be a consistant base stealer. He's an Ideal 9 hitter in the American League. Fast enough to not clog the bases in front of the leadoff man and bad enough that any offense you get out of him is a bonus.

All I know is that right now if the sox acquired him he would be a bench role-player, a position I guarantee you he would not want to be in. He wants to start everyday and having seen his stubborness in the past would not do well in the Timo Perez role. He's also a project and there is no real need to add a project to the roster.

Also there are other teams out there that would start him everyday and actually trade decent talent for him (something the sox wouldn't do), say a pittsburgh pirates team or even an LA dodgers team.

SOXPHILE
07-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't mind santo so much, he's not one of the great announcers and he is a terrible homer (though I never think being a homer is really a problem) but he is kinda fun to listen to when everything is going wrong for the cubs. Hughes speaks while all you hear are bizzare sighs,"oh jeez" and grunts coming from the microphone next to him. He's not great but he's at least an original, and these days it's hard to find original voices in sports broadcasting.

It's also painfully obvious from listening to him that he hates the 2005 incarnation of the Cubs as much as anybody and wants the season to end soon.

Pat Hughes does carry him though, I actually do think Pat is a good announcer.

Well, the thing is, there's more to him just being a horrible announcer that causes me and others to hate him. Cub fans believe what the Tribune Corporation and the rest of the media have been selling them- that Santo is just this sweet old man, who used to play for the Cubs, he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, and gosh darn it, he just wants the Cubs to win. Hooray ! In reality, the guy was, and is, a complete ass-wipe. He was very hard to get along with, even by his own team. He tried to get into a fight with a 70 something Leo Durocher. The whole Don Young incident. Many players would tell you, even today, that the guy is/was an absolute jerk. Now, though, they white wash everything, and we get this cartoon character who endlessly self promotes himself as derserving of Hall induction. They trot him out for some promotion or other, and continue to shove him down our collective throats. Go Away Ron Santo. No, not all of Chicago "loves you", as commercials claim.

Pasqua's Posers
07-08-2005, 10:16 AM

Stop sniffing glue boy! :kukoo:

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 10:31 AM
As a Sox fan,I have to quote Mickey D's here:An 8 game losing streak??

I'M LOVIN' IT!!!!!:D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-08-2005, 10:35 AM

That would be 1974.My low points were 1970 and
any years between 1973-81(excluding 1977).:(: :(: :(: :(: :(:

Iwritecode
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Talk about nightmares in vivid Cubbie blue. Consider:

Your team can't win even with pitchers that EVERYONE in the media raves about.

Sure they were loveable when they were losing, but everyone has been saying since the beginning of LAST season that this team will be headed to the World Series and the Cubs have still managed losing streaks of at least seven games twice before the All-Star break.

Actually attending the games is a more expensive and bigger hassle than ever, and if you can get to the park, watching for falling debris is recommended.

The CARDINALS are running away with your division for the second year in a row.

The WHITE SOX have baseball's best record and appear to be on their way to hosting Chicago's only postseason baseball this year with a team that has had winning streaks of 8 games thrice before the All-Star break.

Not that I'm gloating. Enjoying my own team's magical season is enough for me, but it's nice to shut down those annoying Cubs fans for awhile.

The only problem is that most "fans" are blissfully unaware of all that information. I just read a post yesterday where somebody overheard a cubs "fan" ask if they would be in first place when they won the game.

As long as the beer is flowing and the sun is shining, everything is great in Cubbie-land. :rolleyes:

PatK
07-08-2005, 11:32 AM
I was listening to the game on the radio last night when I was driving to pick up a pizza.

When that home run to Andruw Jones was hit, it was one of the funniest Santo moment I've heard in a long time. Jones was down 0-2 before he hit it, and as soon as the ball was cracked you could hear Ron start his "oh no, OH NO" groans. When it left, Pat Hughes brought up that Jones was down 0-2 and Santo just started groaning over and over "0 and 2, 0 and 2!!!"

I must admit, Pat Hughes isn't a bad broadcaster, although he does sound like he could be someone's gay uncle

http://wgnradio.com/sports/photos/pathead2001.jpg"Say Ron, want to hit the steam room after the game?"

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/mlb/2003/0225/photo/a_santo_hi.jpg"I dunno, won't it melt these Kronkite bars I'm eating?"

chisoxfan64
07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Banix12]I don't mind santo so much, he's not one of the great announcers and he is a terrible homer

He didi make a good pizza back in the day though.

gobears1987
07-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Yes I know Dye needs days off eventually, and guess what? He gets those days off when Everett plays right.