PDA

View Full Version : Is Uribe the hitting equivalent of Contreras?

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
I have been a big fan of Juan Uribe since I started watching him play last year. It is clear that he is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball. His range and arm strength are pretty much unmatched. I heard last year that many people compared Uribe to Tejada, and his career stats matched up pretty close to Tejada's year by year. I think Uribe can be a .300 hitter. I think Uribe can hit 25-30 homers a year. Watching this guy bat, I really think he has all the ability and potential in the world. Maybe he got our hopes up last year and he isn't at that level yet. Maybe I am unreasonable with my expectations, but I expect Uribe to be hitting better.

It seems to me that he is the hitting equivalent of Contreras. Conteras has all the potential in the world. He has the best stuff on the staff, and I think he should be dominant. He has shown us many times how good he can be (as has Uribe), but he hasn't been able to do it consistently. Contreras' problem seems to be that he is afraid to get hit, so he nibbles and gets behind. He also doesn't use his fastball enough. One of Uribe's problems is that he extends his strike zone by about two feet in all direction.

Am I the only one that is as frustrated with Uribe as with Contreras? Am I the only one who thinks they they both will eventually become superstars?

maurice
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
IMHO, Uribe will never be consistent, because his mechanics are crap.

OTOH, he can hit very well for stretches. When he's not hitting well, he's still one of the best defensive players in baseball and a surprisingly good situational hitter.

Chicago83
07-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Juan looks brutal at the plate but somehow gets it done. He'll never be a good overall hitter, but will come up with some big hits. You really can't complain about him batting in your 8 or 9 spot. Defensively he's great and brings another element to the game, like when he tricked D Lee on the basepaths.

NealCotts4Life
07-07-2005, 03:10 PM
He also leads(or is up there) the league in sac-flies. That's pretty big on a team that preaches about small ball.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Uribe's an excellent situational hitter. Contreras isn't an excellent situational pitcher.

Chicago83
07-07-2005, 03:35 PM
He also leads(or is up there) the league in sac-flies. That's pretty big on a team that preaches about small ball.

Yeah it's kind of amazing with as bad as his swing looks how good of a situational hitter he is. He also cranks it with men on base, especially when they are loaded.

mccoydp
07-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Juan looks brutal at the plate but somehow gets it done. He'll never be a good overall hitter, but will come up with some big hits. You really can't complain about him batting in your 8 or 9 spot. Defensively he's great and brings another element to the game, like when he tricked D Lee on the basepaths.

I miss mekon's rant about Uribe deking Lee...is he still around?

pdimas
07-07-2005, 03:40 PM
One of Urine's problems is that he extends his strike zone by about two feet in all directions :roflmao:

Sorry Im at work and really bored. This gave me a little chuckle.

SOXPHILE
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
YES ! Sometimes when I'm watching him bat, I'm almost yelling at the T.V., with the way he lunges, and seemingly goes down on one knee when he swings, gets in an 0-2 hole, and/or pops out in the infield. I get soooooo frustrated. Then, another at bat, he'll hit a homerun, or a key sac fly, and everything seems alright. Until his next at bat.....Kind of like Jose. He'll walk 2 straight guys, load the bases, the other team gets a cheap run because of it, and I'm pulling my hair out. Then, for 3 staight innings, he retires 9 in a row with a couple of strikeouts and some easy grounders and flyouts, and everything seems alright...

mdep524
07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I have been a big fan of Juan Uribe since I started watching him play last year. It is clear that he is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball. His range and arm strength are pretty much unmatched. I heard last year that many people compared Uribe to Tejada, and his career stats matched up pretty close to Tejada's year by year. I think Uribe can be a .300 hitter. I think Uribe can hit 25-30 homers a year. Watching this guy bat, I really think he has all the ability and potential in the world. Maybe he got our hopes up last year and he isn't at that level yet. Maybe I am unreasonable with my expectations, but I expect Uribe to be hitting better.

It seems to me that he is the hitting equivalent of Contreras. Conteras has all the potential in the world. He has the best stuff on the staff, and I think he should be dominant. He has shown us many times how good he can be (as has Uribe), but he hasn't been able to do it consistently. Contreras' problem seems to be that he is afraid to get hit, so he nibbles and gets behind. He also doesn't use his fastball enough. One of Urine's problems is that he extends his strike zone by about two feet in all direction.

Am I the only one that is as frustrated with Uribe as with Contreras? Am I the only one who thinks they they both will eventually become superstars? There is no way on God's green Earth that Uribe will be a .300 hitter. He's just not cut out for it- bad mechanics, swings at everything, etc. But as a #9 hitter with an outstanding glove, he is good enough for this team. Now, if down the line he were counted on to be a middle of the order guy that made the offense go, we're in trouble- no matter how "exciting" Hawk thinks he is at the plate.

balke
07-07-2005, 04:10 PM
He hasn't hit his hot streak yet, but when he does, watch out. He's a very dangerous #9 hitter. His glove tends to make me forget he's not hitting that well, but also I expect him to go on a run after the all-star break.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
He hasn't hit his hot streak yet, but when he does, watch out. He's a very dangerous #9 hitter. His glove tends to make me forget he's not hitting that well, but also I expect him to go on a run after the all-star break.
Hey, I wouldn't mind if his hot streak didn't come until October 3.

mantis1212
07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Hey, I wouldn't mind if his hot streak didn't come until October 3.

No kidding- I can definitely picture Uribe doing something memorable in October. Can we please fast forward?

lostletters
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
He is a streaky hitter, just like JC is a streaky pitcher.

So I guess that is pretty accurate statement.

But Uribe will always be a great defensive player and is good at the lower end of the lineup. Him and Crede add an element of danger in that lower part of the order and play very good defense. When they are hot they can help the team out. When they are not they are contributing to the team with thier leather.