PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News "stunned" that Podsednik won

Fenway
07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/325807p-278446c.html

Based on the glamour statistics, Podsednik hardly deserved a mention compared to Jeter or Matsui (or Crawford or Hunter, for that matter). Matsui is hitting .317 with 13homers and 65 RBI; Jeter is hitting .307 with 10 homers, 35 RBI and 66 runs scored while mostly batting leadoff; Podsednik, also a leadoff hitter, is hitting .286 with zero homers, 10 RBI, 41 stolen bases and 46 runs scored. Regardless of how those numbers are interpreted, the White Sox made it very clear they believe Podsednik is their spark and launched an all-out campaign for him. Pitcher Mark Buehrle, who is on the AL team, grabbed the microphone at Monday's Sox game and implored a sellout crowd to vote for Podsednik. Manager Ozzie Guillen's son held up a sign that read "Vote for Scott" and Podsednik himself signed autographs for nearly 90 minutes during a rain delay, according to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times.

maurice
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Seriously, how many HR and RBI do these people expect a leadoff hitter to have? He leads the world in SB by a HUGE margin. That's a little bit more relevant than his HR total.

MIgrenade
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM
No, no, homeruns are all that matter which is why the Yankees are 31 games over .500. Screw them.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 02:51 PM
The NY Daily News can kiss my ass.

Rocklive99
07-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Runs and RBIs are a little overrated, since they depend on your teammates driving you in or being on base in the first place. We all know the effect/power of the SB.

If you're going to go by fantasy stats alone, then maybe Hunter or Matsui would've been more logical, but that's why:
a) The fans are voting (and they had 2 chances to put the Yankee clippers or anyone else on the ballot in and couldn't while the managers/fellow players didn't feel they should go either)
b) The winner won't be starting, and who better to pinch run?
c) This shows more about the team, and it's only fair that the best team in baseball is fairly represented

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2005, 03:03 PM
"it's the stolen bases, stupid!"

how many more HRs and RBIs can an All-Star team have?

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 03:03 PM
If you're going to go by fantasy stats alone, then maybe Hunter or Matsui would've been more logical, but that's why:

That's also why fantasy baseball is slowly killing the game

PatK
07-07-2005, 03:26 PM
That's also why fantasy baseball is slowly killing the game

Exactly:gulp:

That's why the Yankees aren't doing so hot. They've assembled a hell of a fantasy team. Most people don't understand it because they think that all that matters is all of the "sexy" stats.

MarySwiss
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Exactly:gulp:

That's why the Yankees aren't doing so hot. They've assembled a hell of a fantasy team. Most people don't understand it because they think that all that matters is all of the "sexy" stats.

The sexiest stat of all is that Pods had more votes. Guess they haven't quite grasped the concept yet.

oeo
07-07-2005, 04:45 PM
:rolling:

Losers.

ChiSoxRowand
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
First of all, Podsednik has 17 RBI's, not 10 like the article said. It's also hard to rack up RBI's when Crede and Uribe are hitting in front of you.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
First of all, Podsednik has 17 RBI's, not 10 like the article said. It's also hard to rack up RBI's when Crede and Uribe are hitting in front of you.

Yep. The confused imbeciles pooh-poohing Podsednik's RBI totals are the same sort of chumps who aPaulogize for Paul Konerko because of his tremendous RBI totals.

Nuts, either way.
:kukoo:

MHOUSE
07-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I love hearing people from NY cry about how the world wrongs Jeter everytime nobody bows down and kisses his feet. Whatever. They could have easily voted him in, but we pulled it off. I guess we know where real allegiance comes from: the SOUTHSIDE.

86metsghost
07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Yankee fans are the biggest WHINERS, the most spoiled BRATS in baseball! I have to work with them everyday and they think theyre entitled to everything. A lot of Mets fans voted for Podsednik just to keep Jeter off the team, noone likes him. HAHA way to go White Sox!

Oh and it kills them that Piazza and Beltran are on the team and Jeter will be sitting home! :bandance:

Randar68
07-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Seriously, how many HR and RBI do these people expect a leadoff hitter to have? He leads the world in SB by a HUGE margin. That's a little bit more relevant than his HR total.

He has turned 41 walks or singles into doubles. Factor that into SLG% and it looks quite a bit different, no? (gotta turn CS's into outs as well, I suppose)

balke
07-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Its only fitting seeing how Frank and Paulie had to split votes last year. They gotta stop crying, this is pathetic.

Foulke You
07-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Where was the outcry from the NY Daily News when the NY fans voted in a .228 hitting Jason Giambi to start 1B in the 2003 All Star Game which forced Frank Thomas out of the game entirely?

iamkoza
07-08-2005, 06:23 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/325807p-278446c.html

Based on the glamour statistics, Podsednik hardly deserved a mention compared to Jeter or Matsui (or Crawford or Hunter, for that matter). Matsui is hitting .317 with 13homers and 65 RBI; Jeter is hitting .307 with 10 homers, 35 RBI and 66 runs scored while mostly batting leadoff; Podsednik, also a leadoff hitter, is hitting .286 with zero homers, 10 RBI, 41 stolen bases and 46 runs scored. Regardless of how those numbers are interpreted, the White Sox made it very clear they believe Podsednik is their spark and launched an all-out campaign for him. Pitcher Mark Buehrle, who is on the AL team, grabbed the microphone at Monday's Sox game and implored a sellout crowd to vote for Podsednik. Manager Ozzie Guillen's son held up a sign that read "Vote for Scott" and Podsednik himself signed autographs for nearly 90 minutes during a rain delay, according to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times.

when i saw pods doing that, it never really occured to me he was whoring for all-star votes... dear god, a MLB baseball player is signing balls/shirts for kids... omg what has this world come too

BTW, has anyone seen the fox commercials for the allstar game? They have jeter in them, got a chuckle out of me

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-08-2005, 07:10 AM
BTW, has anyone seen the fox commercials for the allstar game? They have jeter in them, got a chuckle out of me
I'm waiting for the new version, which will have Podsednik hitting the pinball thrown by Clemens. :D: