PDA

View Full Version : need an outfielder? Jay Payton designated for assignment

Fenway
07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
The Red Sox today designated backup outfielder Jay Payton for assignment, the Hartford Courant reported, meaning the Sox have 10 days to either trade him, release him, or send him to the minors.

To take Paytonís place as the teamís fourth outfielder, the Red Sox called up Adam Stern from Pawtucket, Boston sports radio station WEEI 850 AM reported.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/07/report_red_sox_designate_payton_for_assignment?mod e=PF

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 01:50 PM
:hawk

"HE GAWN!"

NealCotts4Life
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I always thought Payton was a solid player. What were his stats this year? I would say the Sox should pick him up, but we're pretty stacked at the OF position.

Fenway
07-07-2005, 02:01 PM
I always thought Payton was a solid player. What were his stats this year? I would say the Sox should pick him up, but we're pretty stacked at the OF position.

He wants to play every day which is why Boston is moving him

He wasn't going to get much playing time with Manny, Damon and Nixon in front of him. He will be a nice pickup for someone

The Dude
07-07-2005, 02:29 PM
The Red Sox today designated backup outfielder Jay Payton for assignment, the Hartford Courant reported, meaning the Sox have 10 days to either trade him, release him, or send him to the minors.

To take Paytonís place as the teamís fourth outfielder, the Red Sox called up Adam Stern from Pawtucket, Boston sports radio station WEEI 850 AM reported.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/07/report_red_sox_designate_payton_for_assignment?mod e=PF

Fenway, I know you dont do that on purpose and you are a rare good Red Sox fan...but please dont refer to them as the "Sox"

MHOUSE
07-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Per ESPN bottom line. I've always been a fan of his. He plays well anywhere in the outfield and has a little more power than TIMO. Although he is right-handed, I think he'd be a nice pickup if Kenny wants to improve the bench.

The BoSox also traded Ramon Vasquez to Cleveland for Alex Cora.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Ross Gload will replace Timo. We have enough outfielders, we still dont have a backup 1B (Dye's performance aside).

Besides, Payton wined because he wants to play every day.

CYGarland20
Per ESPN bottom line. I've always been a fan of his. He plays well anywhere in the outfield and has a little more power than TIMO. Although he is right-handed, I think he'd be a nice pickup if Kenny wants to improve the bench.

The BoSox also traded Ramon Vasquez to Cleveland for Alex Cora. No thanks. We already have too many players to fill roster spots.

Stroker Ace
I don't want the Sox to replace Timo with Payton. When the both of them were on the Mets, I viewed Timo as being better than J-Pay.

santo=dorf
07-08-2005, 01:08 PM
The A's have reportedly agreed to a deal that will send Chad Bradford (back) to Boston for disgruntled outfielder Jay Payton.
According to the Providence Journal, Payton had a comfrontation with manager Terry Francona in the dugout during Wednesday's game, which sealed his fate. Payton was designated for assignment and the trade will be completed when Bradford returns from the disabled list :hawk
"So Basically he traded Miquel Olivo for Jay Payton."

Ventura Fan 23
07-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Jay Payton would probably upset the clubhouse unless he was an every day player, which he most certainly would not be.