PDA

View Full Version : Konkerko Quote on All-Star Pods

Buehrle > Wood
07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
"I think there's a lot of Yankee fans and also a lot of people who hate the Yankees. It could be not there's a lot of Podsednik fans, but there are a lot of people who hate Derek Jeter and the Yankees in general."

Paul might be right, but why even bring it up. Can't he just say something good about how Podsednik might actually deserve the spot?

Sheesh

Palehose13
07-07-2005, 12:08 PM
"I think there's a lot of Yankee fans and also a lot of people who hate the Yankees. It could be not there's a lot of Podsednik fans, but there are a lot of people who hate Derek Jeter and the Yankees in general."

Paul might be right, but why even bring it up. Can't he just say something good about how Podsednik might actually deserve the spot?

Sheesh

Typical Konerko...showing why he is a leader in the clubhouse.

patbooyah
07-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Typical Konerko...showing why he is a leader in the clubhouse.

no joke. honestly- after last night i would have no problem if they traded him.

Mickster
07-07-2005, 12:16 PM
http://modulo13.ath.cx/mrhappy/navigation/frame1.png

skottyj242
07-07-2005, 12:17 PM
http://modulo13.ath.cx/mrhappy/navigation/frame1.png

Insert where?

mweflen
07-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Konerko needs some Immodium AD for his diarrhea of the mouth...

LVSoxFan
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Don't ya think you guys are reading a bit too much into this?

Why would Paulie diss Scott?

wildcat
07-07-2005, 12:23 PM

I think the point is that he doesn't seem to think about the further ramifications of what he's saying before he opens his mouth. I think reporters are baiting him at this point, and he just walks into traps. He could've simply said that he was really proud of Scotty. Instead he responded to some question about people voting against Jeter.

na_na_na_na
07-07-2005, 12:24 PM
As much as we all love paulie, you have to admit that we probably gained alot of votes from boston fans once Scott was declared as being a close second.

Can't blame the guy for telling the truth.

mweflen
07-07-2005, 12:24 PM
It's not that he's actively dissing Scott, he just has a habit of saying things which remain best left unsaid. His nickname used to be "Hollywood" for a reason. He's a ham in front of a camera or tape recorder.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:25 PM
As much as we all love paulie, you have to admit that we probably gained alot of votes from boston fans once Scott was declared as being a close second.

Can't blame the guy for telling the truth.

sure i can.

how about not saying stupid **** that is a backhanded slap at your teammates, intentional or not.

most of us follow this thought process: think, speak.

paulie seems to follow this chain of command: speak, then WE think about what in the **** did he actually just say???

jackbrohamer
07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
His nickname used to be "Hollywood" for a reason. He's a ham in front of a camera or tape recorder.

And yet he's incredibly boring when he's interviewed. I never remember what he says unless it's something like this quote where he's insulting his teammates.

Mickster
07-07-2005, 12:29 PM
sure i can.

how about not saying stupid **** that is a backhanded slap at your teammates, intentional or not.

most of us follow this thought process: think, speak.

paulie seems to follow this chain of command: speak, then WE think about what in the **** did he actually just say???

:thumbsup:

RKMeibalane
I don't think this is a big deal. However, Konerko would be advised to watch what he says, given what's happened with him in the past.

Jjav829
Way to selectively pull quotes. Let's look at what Konerko said in its entirety. "When your team's going well and you're in first place, it brings out your fans," Konerko said. "I think there's some sentiment that there are a lot of Yankees fans, but there are also a lot of people that hate the Yankees. It could be not that there are a lot of Podsednik fans, but a lot of people that hate Derek Jeter and hate the Yankees in general.

"Fans are good with all the voting this year. All the players that are in starting positions deserve to be starters. I guess they took responsibility and made good choices, not just popularity."

Good job pulling out the one piece you could overreact on.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Way to selectively pull quotes. Let's look at what Konerko said in its entirety.

even so he never says Scotty's a good player who deserves it (notice he mentions only the STARTING players). It's all about kowtowing to the fans and his own overblown sense of verbal importance.

and by the way: before you get upset about out of context, I fail to see what in that quote that wasn't excerpted here mitigates Paulie's (unintentional probably) jab at Scotty?

daveeym
07-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Way to selectively pull quotes. Let's look at what Konerko said in its entirety.

Good job pulling out the one piece you could overreact on. No kidding, this didn't pass the smell test at all. I wish the iraqi information ministers would shut up already.

thepaulbowski
07-07-2005, 12:33 PM

If the media can do it, why can't I.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
No kidding, this didn't pass the smell test at all. I wish the iraqi information ministers would shut up already.

before i propagandize further, I'd be interested to know what in the full quote JJav posted makes what has been posted here irrelevant?

JB98
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
I think the point is that he doesn't seem to think about the further ramifications of what he's saying before he opens his mouth. I think reporters are baiting him at this point, and he just walks into traps. He could've simply said that he was really proud of Scotty. Instead he responded to some question about people voting against Jeter.

And what exactly would those "further ramifications" be? Another 400-post thread on WSI where Konerko haters whine and cry, ad nauseum?

Trust me, if Konerko has a bad attitude or is a clubhouse cancer, KW and Ozzie will have him on a bus out of town. Until that happens, I think threads like this are a bunch of boo-hoo-hooing about nothing.

I'm done with this thread. I'm tired of wasting my time on this utter nonsense.

mweflen
07-07-2005, 12:40 PM
before i propagandize further, I'd be interested to know what in the full quote JJav posted makes what has been posted here irrelevant?

agreed.

The quote:
"It could be not that there are a lot of Podsednik fans, but a lot of people that hate Derek Jeter and hate the Yankees in general."

still stands on its own, regardless of the context. The "Context" really had nothing to do with the quote, whose main thesis is that Pods may have benefited not from those who appreciate his performance, but from people who hate the Yankees and Jeter.

It's just a dumb thing to say. He might better have said: "I don't know if Scottie benefited from Jeter-haters or what, but he deserved it either way."

phanreign
07-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Paulie needs to watch/study Bull Durham to get his cliches in order so he does't have to come up with anything off the top of his head.

"Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

John
phanreign@aol.com
http://www.phantomreign.net

Sxy Mofo
I hereby vow to never click on a "konerko said" thread again, as I can safely assume it will get completely blown out of proportion on this board.

My God, he's saying something EVERYone who follows baseball knows. The big jerk. How many of you complaining about this quote were also saying yesterday "let's hope the red sox fans do us a favor and vote for pods against jeter"

LVSoxFan
I don't get all the Konerko hate either.

Guess I missed something.

But at any given time, somebody's in the crosshairs here. So far this year:

-Dye
-Crede
-Uribe
-Timo
-Konerko
-Vizcaino
-Everett

So I guess Konerko's the flame du jour...

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:43 PM
And what exactly would those "further ramifications" be? Another 400-post thread on WSI where Konerko haters whine and cry, ad nauseum?

Trust me, if Konerko has a bad attitude or is a clubhouse cancer, KW and Ozzie will have him on a bus out of town. Until that happens, I think threads like this are a bunch of boo-hoo-hooing about nothing.

I'm done with this thread. I'm tired of wasting my time on this utter nonsense.

How? 8 million dollars is 8 million dollars and 19 home runs is 19 home runs.

Remember when Carlos got run out of town? In the middle of the season?

Just because you don't hear about him being a cancer doesn't mean he isn't. Most players aren't dickweeds and run their jawboxes off to the media every everloving minute.

We don't know if he is a cancer, we don't know if he isn't. All we know is what he says. And we know the players probably know what he says.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I hereby vow to never click on a "konerko said" thread again, as I can safely assume it will get completely blown out of proportion on this board.

My God, he's saying something EVERYone who follows baseball knows. The big jerk. How many of you complaining about this quote were also saying yesterday "let's hope the red sox fans do us a favor and vote for pods against jeter"
I would admit Jeter haters helped as did the split yankee vote

HOWEVER

I don't play on Scott Podsednik's team.

I am not on the all-star game mostly because Scotty is on base 35% of the time for me to drive in.

I am not in first place for a good part because of Scott Podsednik

is this making sense to anyone else?

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't get all the Konerko hate either.

Guess I missed something.

But at any given time, somebody's in the crosshairs here. So far this year:

-Dye
-Crede
-Uribe
-Timo
-Konerko
-Vizcaino
-Everett

So I guess Konerko's the flame du jour...

All those (with the exception of Everett) have been in the crosshairs for their play.

Paulie is mostly maligned for what he says.

And by the way, Everett got off pretty light here because he did not talk **** about his own teammates.

Deadguy
07-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey K-dawg, why don't you mention the fact that the only reason you're going to the All-Star game is because the AL is laughably weak at 1B?

Or why not question the need for a 3rd 1b to be selected to the game, when the position is so weak? It's not like it is 1997, and you have the likes of Jim Thome, Mo Vaughn, Frank Thomas, Rafael Palmeiro, Tino Martinez, Mark Mcgwire, etc. to choose from?

Or why not question why Travis Hafner isn't an All-Star, and you are one? The guy has an OPS over 1.000 this year, which is nearly 200 points higher than yours.

If it wasn't for Scotty, you wouldn't have nearly as many RBI opportunities as you've had, idiot.

Steakpita
:dtroll:

Wait, that's not quite enough.

:angry: :dtroll: :angry:

There.

Georgey3085
I think everyone is overreacting...first off what Paulie said was TRUE, I'm sorry if some of you are hurt that he's telling the truth, but sometimes its better not to be PC...also, don't u think Pods ALREADY knows/was told that from the rest of his team, I've talked to some of the players before, and they are sorta like me and my friends where they will make fun of you even if you do something good, so I think its a situation like that, I don't think he was putting him down, he was just pulling his chain, like ALL GUYS do anyways...so to everyone who thinks it was cheap or low or dumb, u guys are dumb.

Brian26
07-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Sheesh

Konerko with foot-in-mouth example #57,381.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:49 PM
I think everyone is overreacting...first off what Paulie said was TRUE, I'm sorry if some of you are hurt that he's telling the truth, but sometimes its better not to be PC...also, don't u think Pods ALREADY knows/was told that from the rest of his team, I've talked to some of the players before, and they are sorta like me and my friends where they will make fun of you even if you do something good, so I think its a situation like that, I don't think he was putting him down, he was just pulling his chain, like ALL GUYS do anyways...so to everyone who thinks it was cheap or low or dumb, u guys are dumb.

Because it's true doesn't mean it's right to say.

"Joe Crede can't hit for average."

"Jose needs to pitch smarter or else he's not going to win games"

"Paulie needs to stop swinging for the fences"

I wouldn't want anyone on the White Sox saying any one of those things.

Or how about, as mentioned earlier, "The only reason Paulie's on the all star team is because it's a horrible year at first base"

Georgey3085
07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Because it's true doesn't mean it's right to say.

"Joe Crede can't hit for average."

"Jose needs to pitch smarter or else he's not going to win games"

"Paulie needs to stop swinging for the fences"

I wouldn't want anyone on the White Sox saying any one of those things.

Or how about, as mentioned earlier, "The only reason Paulie's on the all star team is because it's a horrible year at first base"

See what you don't get is that these guys are all friends. Do friends, especially guys say nice things to each other when things go well, no. We find a way to turn it around on each other in a joking way...thats all that Paulie was doing, you guys don't understand the humor of Paul Konerko...and I have the pleasure of actually knowing it, and he was just joking around, I am 100% sure that he told that same thing to Pods...

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 12:54 PM
even so he never says Scotty's a good player who deserves it (notice he mentions only the STARTING players). It's all about kowtowing to the fans and his own overblown sense of verbal importance.

and by the way: before you get upset about out of context, I fail to see what in that quote that wasn't excerpted here mitigates Paulie's (unintentional probably) jab at Scotty?

He starts off saying, "When your team's going well and you're in first place, it brings out your fans." That seems to be saying that Sox fans, or possibly Podsednik fans, depending how deep you want to read into it, came out to vote for Pods.

He continues, "I think there's some sentiment that there are a lot of Yankees fans, but there are also a lot of people that hate the Yankees." His next line is in reference to the belief that because of all the Yankees fans, Jeter/Matsui would have won hands down.

"Fans are good with all the voting this year. All the players that are in starting positions deserve to be starters. I guess they took responsibility and made good choices, not just popularity." He didn't say that the fans voted in the right starters. He said the fans are good with all the voting. An obvious reference to the 32nd man voting.

Sorry, I know you just love quotes like this where you can overreact and rip Konerko, but this isn't one of them.

Georgey3085
07-07-2005, 12:55 PM
He starts off saying, "When your team's going well and you're in first place, it brings out your fans." That seems to be saying that Sox fans, or possibly Podsednik fans, depending how deep you want to read into it, came out to vote for Pods.

He continues, "I think there's some sentiment that there are a lot of Yankees fans, but there are also a lot of people that hate the Yankees." His next line is in reference to the belief that because of all the Yankees fans, Jeter/Matsui would have won hands down.

"Fans are good with all the voting this year. All the players that are in starting positions deserve to be starters. I guess they took responsibility and made good choices, not just popularity." He didn't say that the fans voted in the right starters. He said the fans are good with all the voting. An obvious reference to the 32nd man voting.

Sorry, I know you just love quotes like this where you can overreact and rip Konerko, but this isn't one of them.

Exactly :smile:

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey K-dawg, why don't you mention the fact that the only reason you're going to the All-Star game is because the AL is laughably weak at 1B?

Or why not question the need for a 3rd 1b to be selected to the game, when the position is so weak? It's not like it is 1997, and you have the likes of Jim Thome, Mo Vaughn, Frank Thomas, Rafael Palmeiro, Tino Martinez, Mark Mcgwire, etc. to choose from?

Or why not question why Travis Hafner isn't an All-Star, and you are one? The guy has an OPS over 1.000 this year, which is nearly 200 points higher than yours.

If it wasn't for Scotty, you wouldn't have nearly as many RBI opportunities as you've had, idiot.

Why don't you actually read the positive quotes Konerko says and not just the ones where you can overreact? How about this?

"I don't have to look any further than this room to know that there are guys who are more deserving of being an All-Star than me," said Konerko, who is batting .243 with 19 home runs and 53 RBIs. "By definition of having an All-Star first half, I'd put those guys ahead of me."

But there was some justice as Konerko was left off last year's AL team after batting .296 with 22 homers and 59 RBIs in the first half.

"As bad of luck as I had last year, I must have had as good of luck this year," Konerko said. "How many times are you scrambling to find first basemen to fill in?"

Konerko says his selection was tied to the Sox's distinction as the best team in baseball.

"I look at it as the team got me on, not me," said Konerko, who was selected on the players' ballot.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't play on Scott Podsednik's team.

I am not on the all-star game mostly because Scotty is on base 35% of the time for me to drive in.

I am not in first place for a good part because of Scott Podsednik

is this making sense to anyone else?

last time we had one of these threads, I was a sarcastic jerk to people, nothing ever materialized on it, just like on the time before, and nothing will again.

The fact of the matter is that because of the large amount of yankee bandwagoneers, for anyone from another team to win the internet vote, they need a lot of anti-yankee support, and that's just the way it is. With all the skankee bandwagonners... do you, fquaye149, honestly believe he could've won without a large amount of support from anti-yankee fans.

MrEd
07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
What Paulie said may not be that bad when viewed in context. What was the nature of the question he was responding to? If he just came out of the blue and said that, then I agree and he stuck his foot in his mouth. But if it was something like "Does it surprise you that Scotty got more votes than future HOFer Derek Jeter or Godzilla, who is extremely popular in Japan, considering the number of Yankee fans out there?" His comment starts to look less inflamatory. And there's probably some truth to it.

Saracen
Another Konerko quote from today's Daily Herald:

“If it’s close, hopefully people around the country who don’t have a bias will look at it and say, ‘Which one means the most to his team and which one has helped the most to put his team in first place, or to the best record?’’ Konerko said before the game. “If you do it like that, hopefully Scott will get a lot more votes because he is the answer.”

Yeah, what a cancer. :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
You guys are too much. Overreact, underreact... it makes no difference. Either Konerko takes a big pay cut next winter or you can forget about seeing him at first base next season. For the money, we've got plenty of better options.

One final point. Konerko is a media whore. That's the REAL reason he gets in trouble with these slips of the tongue. If he chopped in half the number of quotes he fed the media, he wouldn't have these problems. He is an articulate and seemingly intelligent person. But he is a media whore, so he has problems caused by running his mouth. I'm willing to bet Konerko would be the first to admit it, too.

For a myraid of reasons I won't explain here, media whores ARE NOT popular in the clubhouse. Think Steve Garvey. Nuff said.

:cool:

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
What Paulie said may not be that bad when viewed in context. What was the nature of the question he was responding to? If he just came out of the blue and said that, then I agree and he stuck his foot in his mouth. But if it was something like "Does it surprise you that Scotty got more votes than future HOFer Derek Jeter or Godzilla, who is extremely popular in Japan, considering the number of Yankee fans out there?" His comment starts to look less inflamatory. And there's probably some truth to it.

See that's just it. We get snippets of what is actually said. People read quotes and they think that means everything. They think that unless something is said in the papers, the player doesn't mean it or say it. For all we know Konerko spent a minute before this quote talking about Pods impact on the club and what Pods means to this club. Then maybe he was asked a follow up about if he was surprised that Podsednik was able to defeat Jeter because of the seemingly large difference in Sox fans and Yankees fans. And he responded to the question with this. Only when Cowley went to write his story, he decided that this quote worked best on his story and the rest of Konerko's quotes went unused. Yet some people have to have everything spelled out for them. They can't accept that a player says something or feels something that isn't used in newspaper stories.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
You guys are too much. Overreact, underreact... it makes no difference. Either Konerko takes a big pay cut next winter or you can forget about seeing him at first base next season. For the money, we've got plenty of better options.

One final point. Konerko is a media whore. That's the REAL reason he gets in trouble with these slips of the tongue. If he chopped in half the number of quotes he fed the media, he wouldn't have these problems. He is an articulate and seemingly intelligent person. But he is a media whore, so he has problems caused by running his mouth. I'm willing to bet Konerko would be the first to admit it, too.

For a myraid of reasons I won't explain here, media whores ARE NOT popular in the clubhouse. Think Steve Garvey. Nuff said.

:cool:

Who said he had problems? The only ones making a deal of it are the people on here. He doesn't see the "backlash" of his quotes because there isn't one, except here at over-reactionary WSI.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Who said he had problems? The only ones making a deal of it are the people on here. He doesn't see the "backlash" of his quotes because there isn't one, except here at over-reactionary WSI.

LA's Steve Garvey landed in San Diego... and NOBODY talked about what a media whore he was until he was long gone.

Nobody likes a politician for a teammate. Deal with the reality of it, okay?

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 01:05 PM

“If it’s close, hopefully people around the country who don’t have a bias will look at it and say, ‘Which one means the most to his team and which one has helped the most to put his team in first place, or to the best record?’’ Konerko said before the game. “If you do it like that, hopefully Scott will get a lot more votes because he is the answer.”

LOL, way to shoot down nearly all of the arguments the Konerko overreacters have about Konerko not saying Pods deserves it. I might as well just close this thread because every criticism of the original quote is going to look even more foolish after this.

Also, from Scott Reifort's blog:

It's hilarious to see Paul Konerko and Neal Cotts in our clubhouse with mlb.com up on their screen voting away. Guys have really gotten into this, which says something about the team chemistry and how well Pods is liked.

Clubhouse cancer alert! Clubhouse cancer alert!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
LOL, way to shoot down nearly all of the arguments the Konerko overreacters have about Konerko not saying Pods deserves it. I might as well just close this thread because every criticism of the original quote is going to look even more foolish after this.

Also, from Scott Reifort's blog:

Clubhouse cancer alert! Clubhouse cancer alert!

You know what I would love to see? How many times Paul Konerko's name appears in today's newspapers about Scott Podsednik's successful ASG campaign vs. the combined total of EVERYBODY ELSE on the Chicago White Sox.

He's a media whore. Thanks for helping me prove the point.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
last time we had one of these threads, I was a sarcastic jerk to people, nothing ever materialized on it, just like on the time before, and nothing will again.

The fact of the matter is that because of the large amount of yankee bandwagoneers, for anyone from another team to win the internet vote, they need a lot of anti-yankee support, and that's just the way it is. With all the skankee bandwagonners... do you, fquaye149, honestly believe he could've won without a large amount of support from anti-yankee fans.

Of course it's the case.

There's no way Scotty should be at this all-star game. Matsui and Jeter were both more deserving than him. Plus without anti-yankee sentiment and the split yankee vote, he wouldn't have won anyway.

HOWEVER. I say that because I am not on Podsednik's team.

If you feel a coworker has been promoted for reasons unrelated to performance, would you say that in a public forum?

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2005, 01:09 PM
See that's just it. We get snippets of what is actually said. People read quotes and they think that means everything. They think that unless something is said in the papers, the player doesn't mean it or say it. For all we know Konerko spent a minute before this quote talking about Pods impact on the club and what Pods means to this club. Then maybe he was asked a follow up about if he was surprised that Podsednik was able to defeat Jeter because of the seemingly large difference in Sox fans and Yankees fans. And he responded to the question with this. Only when Cowley went to write his story, he decided that this quote worked best on his story and the rest of Konerko's quotes went unused. Yet some people have to have everything spelled out for them. They can't accept that a player says something or feels something that isn't used in newspaper stories.Cowley took something out of context to make someone look bad? Say it isn't so!

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 01:10 PM

That is not the quote at issue. If that was the only quote we had from him, I would be the first to say good job Paulie, just like I was in the ONE other positive Paulie-quote thread we had all year.

This is not the only quote from him on the subject. Therefore, this thread.

But way to show us a thing or two...

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Cowley took something out of context to make someone look bad? Say it isn't so!

Somebody alert Punisher21. You're really in for it now, No. 2.

:wink:

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2005, 01:33 PM
He's a media whore. Thanks for helping me prove the point.

And the numbers bear out that Paulie's overpaid for an extremely slow-footed 1B who's prone to abysmally long droughts where he hits for dismally low average. He also has a career-long predeliction for GIDPs, and only has a decent OBP this year (which, by the way, has been falling like a rock lately - .240 in the last week - he's walked three times since June 20!) because for the first two months of the season, pitchers walked him because the Sox had very few other power threats given that Paulie does have one reliable tool, hitting for power. Finally, for purposes of comparison to Paulie's three walks since June 20, in that time Frank has walked 9 times and "free swinger" Dye has walked 7 times.

Garvey, OTOH, although he was a media whore, also backed up his mouth with four Gold Gloves, ten All-Star appearances, an MVP, a career .294 average (with seven full seasons over .300), 440 doubles and 2599 hits over 19 seasons.

I'd shut up if Konerko put up Garvey-like numbers.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 01:38 PM
That is not the quote at issue. If that was the only quote we had from him, I would be the first to say good job Paulie, just like I was in the ONE other positive Paulie-quote thread we had all year.

This is not the only quote from him on the subject. Therefore, this thread.

But way to show us a thing or two...

But doesn't the above quote, plus the anti-yankee sentiment equal Paullie telling the us the ozzie-style-un-tainted-truth?

Fact: Pods is a deserving all-star, extremely important to this team and its success.

Fact: Pods needed a lot of anti-yankee support because of the large number of bandwagon yankee fans.

You can't take one quote and complain the fact that he didn't say something positive about pods, and then when you find out he does say something positive about pods, claim it to be irrelevant.

daveeym
07-07-2005, 01:39 PM
agreed.

The quote:

still stands on its own, regardless of the context. The "Context" really had nothing to do with the quote, whose main thesis is that Pods may have benefited not from those who appreciate his performance, but from people who hate the Yankees and Jeter.

It's just a dumb thing to say. He might better have said: "I don't know if Scottie benefited from Jeter-haters or what, but he deserved it either way." The "context" had EVERYTHING to do with the quote. Making the above stupid.

Wait my bad Mweflen you're just as bad as Paulie I see you've said the following, "Pods may have benefited not from those who appreciate his performance, but from people who hate the Yankees and Jeter."

Man lets trade this guy to soxtalk or the MLB boards we don't need him bashing our players here ala Konerko.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 01:47 PM
But doesn't the above quote, plus the anti-yankee sentiment equal Paullie telling the us the ozzie-style-un-tainted-truth?

Fact: Pods is a deserving all-star, extremely important to this team and its success.

Fact: Pods needed a lot of anti-yankee support because of the large number of bandwagon yankee fans.

You can't take one quote and complain the fact that he didn't say something positive about pods, and then when you find out he does say something positive about pods, claim it to be irrelevant.

The point is they are two seperate quotes. All I had was the first one posted in this thread, one completely in keeping with Konerko's character of back-nibbling his teammates.

Even though the second one has come to light, it doesn't make the first one a stupid thing to say. Yes it's true. Everyone knows it's true. That doesn't mean it's a good thing to say. For instance what if Tony Peña in 2003 had said "well, it's a good thing writers didn't think Matsui was a rookie...good thing for Berroa that is"?

Yeah, it's true, but why say it?

It's not that he actually meant it, it was just a stupid thing to say, yet another example of Paul running his mouth about his teammates and giving the media and fans an opportunity to make a big thing about it.

He said this. He said the Uribe thing. He said the Clayton thing. None of them were malicious (I hope), but they all left a bad taste in the midst of a wholly sweet season (at least for some of us...and who knows how many of the players..maybe none)

How about he tries keeping his big mouth shut?

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
The "context" had EVERYTHING to do with the quote. Making the above stupid.

Wait my bad Mweflen you're just as bad as Paulie I see you've said the following, "Pods may have benefited not from those who appreciate his performance, but from people who hate the Yankees and Jeter."

Man lets trade this guy to soxtalk or the MLB boards we don't need him bashing our players here ala Konerko.

Notice how when people make ad hominem attacks they are generally disciplined by the board.

That would be a more apt analogy. However, it doesn't really prove your point as much as the straw man argument.

Mr. White Sox
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
It's not that he's actively dissing Scott, he just has a habit of saying things which remain best left unsaid. His nickname used to be "Hollywood" for a reason. He's a ham in front of a camera or tape recorder.

aww, don't say that! He was good in the "team communication" commercial with Shingo, which is ironic considering he's horrible when it comes to communication in general.

Skippy
07-07-2005, 01:54 PM

That's what the media does best.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
The point is they are two seperate quotes. All I had was the first one posted in this thread, one completely in keeping with Konerko's character of back-nibbling his teammates.

Even though the second one has come to light, it doesn't make the first one a stupid thing to say. Yes it's true. Everyone knows it's true. That doesn't mean it's a good thing to say. For instance what if Tony Peña in 2003 had said "well, it's a good thing writers didn't think Matsui was a rookie...good thing for Berroa that is"?

Yeah, it's true, but why say it?

It's not that he actually meant it, it was just a stupid thing to say, yet another example of Paul running his mouth about his teammates and giving the media and fans an opportunity to make a big thing about it.

He said this. He said the Uribe thing. He said the Clayton thing. None of them were malicious (I hope), but they all left a bad taste in the midst of a wholly sweet season (at least for some of us...and who knows how many of the players..maybe none)

How about he tries keeping his big mouth shut?

I have this feeling if you were in kansas and there was a tornado heading your way, and everyone saw it, and someone said to you, "there's a tornado heading this way" you'd say, "can't you find anything positive to say about the rest of the sky? 99% of the sky is fine. All you can focus on is this damn tornado."

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Just shut up paulie.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 02:11 PM
I have this feeling if you were in kansas and there was a tornado heading your way, and everyone saw it, and someone said to you, "there's a tornado heading this way" you'd say, "can't you find anything positive to say about the rest of the sky? 99% of the sky is fine. All you can focus on is this damn tornado."

Wait - is Paulie an analyst? When did that happen?

If he's an analyst I take it back. Analysts are paid to analyze the game of baseball.

If he is not an analyst, why is he telling us the intricacies of the fan voting procedure, and how it cheapens Podsednik's all-star appointment.

I don't care if analysts say that Scott only won because the Yankees split the vote or because people hate Jeter. I AGREE WITH THEM, and even if I didn't, at least it's their job to be talking about it.

This is a big deal because Paulie shouldn't be chipping shots at his teammate.

This particular instance has been overblown, but Paulie has done it time and again.

Shut up with calling me an optimist. I am not, and anyway, that has nothing to do with it.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Cowley took something out of context to make someone look bad? Say it isn't so!

This might be the single most important post in the entire thread. The fact that it was Cowley asking questions means Konerko's comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 02:18 PM

Let's try to avoid personal attacks, please. I seriously doubt he would do anything of the sort. The level of stupidity on this board has increased dramatically in the past year, so much so that it's getting harder and harder to read threads that don't have at least ten posts that are pure garbage.

SOXPHILE
07-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Thank you. It seems that every couple of weeks somebody is bashing Konerko because of something he said, allegedly said, or was taken out of context. I highly doubt he would be taking all these jabs at his teamates that everyone seems to think he does. The comment about Uribe's "deke" of Derek Lee did piss me off, but what he said about Royce Clayton had me wondering if there was more to the story, and that maybe people were taking it the wrong way. I thought that maybe he was just complimenting/defending Clayton after his defensive gaffe's a few weeks ago, (even though I don't like "The Choice" either ) and not insinuating that Uribe was a bad shortstop. Now, this latest comment, when looked at in it's entirety, isn't really anything to get all up in arms about.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Shut up with calling me an optimist. I am not, and anyway, that has nothing to do with it.

I didn't call you an optimist. I wouldn't call you an optimist. I'd call you someone who doesn't like a certain player and will twist anything he said into something negative while avoiding anything positive he said.

And RKM, it wasn't a personal attack. It was a statement of the way I feel he views players through his foggy hate filled glasses. Apparently, the truth isn't good. Apparently you can't say, "the anti-yankee sentiment helped pods get in", even though it's obvious to everyone it did

Buehrle > Wood
07-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Well, I started this thread. The quote I posted was all that was in the paper I read. And I must say after seeing the what Konkero said in its entirety it really isn't as bad. But I still think he could have done without.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I didn't call you an optimist. I wouldn't call you an optimist. I'd call you someone who doesn't like a certain player and will twist anything he said into something negative while avoiding anything positive he said.

And RKM, it wasn't a personal attack. It was a statement of the way I feel he views players through his foggy hate filled glasses. Apparently, the truth isn't good. Apparently you can't say, "the anti-yankee sentiment helped pods get in", even though it's obvious to everyone it did

way to take a tangential part of my argument and ignore everything else.

ignore this: paulie has no business analyzing baseball. wait until after you're done playing like all the other morons who know nothing about baseball did, paulie. (morgan, reynolds, brantley, etc.) Konerko might even know less (see: clayton comment).

You keep ignoring this point:

We all admit anti-yankee sentiment got Pods in. You're right. But Konerko has no business saying that about his teammate. I repeat: if your coworker was promoted and you thought it was not all because of merit, would you say something publicly about it?

I wouldn't. I feel that Paulie shouldn't either.

downstairs
07-07-2005, 04:42 PM

I agree.

What? Everyone is supposed to spew the most cliche and obvious points on everything?

He makes a good point. I believe the sheer majority of the votes is from the White Sox Army.

But indeed there are MANY Yankee haters out there. I have to believe they played into this. AND THAT IS A GOOD THING.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 04:56 PM
way to take a tangential part of my argument and ignore everything else.

ignore this: paulie has no business analyzing baseball. wait until after you're done playing like all the other morons who know nothing about baseball did, paulie. (morgan, reynolds, brantley, etc.) Konerko might even know less (see: clayton comment).

You keep ignoring this point:

We all admit anti-yankee sentiment got Pods in. You're right. But Konerko has no business saying that about his teammate. I repeat: if your coworker was promoted and you thought it was not all because of merit, would you say something publicly about it?

I wouldn't. I feel that Paulie shouldn't either.

I'd like to ask pods how much he feels the anti-yankee sentiment got him in. He's not stupid. He knows that the sox fans did a lot, but so did the anti-yankee people. The bottom line is there isn't enough sox fans to overtake the yankee bandwagoneers straight up. Their bandwagon fan base is too numerous.

I also don't see stating how the anti-yankee fan base helped a teammate is being an "analyst" or dissing a teammate. It's stating the truth. And I don't fault him for it. You can. I won't.

And yes, if I'm Exec level, and my friend gets promoted to my level because of some outside forces, i'll razz him a bit. I'm not sure there's a public forum for any job like there is in sports. It's not pods fault everyone hates the yankees.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2005, 05:00 PM
I'd like to ask pods how much he feels the anti-yankee sentiment got him in. He's not stupid. He knows that the sox fans did a lot, but so did the anti-yankee people. The bottom line is there isn't enough sox fans to overtake the yankee bandwagoneers straight up. Their bandwagon fan base is too numerous.

I also don't see stating how the anti-yankee fan base helped a teammate is being an "analyst" or dissing a teammate. It's stating the truth. And I don't fault him for it. You can. I won't.

And yes, if I'm Exec level, and my friend gets promoted to my level because of some outside forces, i'll razz him a bit. I'm not sure there's a public forum for any job like there is in sports. It's not pods fault everyone hates the yankees.

Some things are just better left unsaid.

If the guy at Burger King telsl everybody, "that fry cook was the best damn fry cook I've ever seen." How is the fry cook that he works with now supposed to feel? You just shouldn't say it. Especially, if the fry cook you're working with now is really the best damn fry cook you've ever worked with.

He has a right to state his opinion but that doesn't mean anybody wants to hear it.

PK reminds me of a 1st baseman on the north side. He doesn't know when to shut his mouth to the media. Paul, you're a baseball player. You're not a politician.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
The fact that it was Cowley asking questions means Konerko's comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

You are absolutely correct.

So when Cowley approaches any Sox player, they ought to know he's a First Class, Grade A :dtroll:.

For a guy praised for his intelligence, Konerko's patently stupid to let his mouth runneth over in Cowley's presence.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2005, 05:02 PM

If the guy at Burger King telsl everybody, "that fry cook was the best damn fry cook I've ever seen." How is the fry cook that he works with now supposed to feel? You just shouldn't say it. Especially, if the fry cook you're working with now is really the best damn fry cook you've ever worked with.

He has a right to state his opinion but that doesn't mean anybody wants to hear it.

PK reminds me of a 1st baseman on the north side. He doesn't know when to shut his mouth to the media. Paul, you're a baseball player. You're not a politician.

:rolling:

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 05:17 PM

Yes, but what if that fry cook just burned down the whole store, and he was a friend?

You'd say, "he was damn good at what he did, one of the best, I'd never think he'd make a mistake like that"

I'm still new here, but what you guys don't realize is i'm switzerland. A very opinionated switzerland though. I will argue with anyone who thinks paulie is the worst sox player and will argue with anyone who thinks he's the best. In politics I will argue with a staunch right winger as easily as i'll argue with a hardcore leftist. It's because i can see two sides to every argument, and usually both have a valid point. So while it may seem like i'm paulie's biggest fan... I"m definitely not. I just don't like to see everything he said twisted around and so blatantly misrepresented and taken out of context, it's sick. Same thing with any other sox player. Except Mark Buehrle and frank thomas. I am so heavily on each of their bandwagons and have been for a long time, that no one can ever say anything slightly negative about each around me.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
If PK starts producing like an "A" player, that means driving in runs, then he can say whatever the hell he wants. Until then, he needs to shut up and play ball like every other marginally talented 1 tool power hitter does.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Here's my last thing to say about this.....

Yesterday was a day for Sox fans to rejoice. We got our lead off man in. We beat the empire. We swept the DRays. Contreras turned it around. Jenks had an impressive debut. Why does he need to open his mouth and bring the party down?

I didn't see Scotty say anything about Paulie making the ASG, even though we all know he made it by default. What if Scott said, "Well, Paulie made it because the 1st base position in the AL is weak this year."

Shut up Mr. Konerko. Stop crying and swing the bat.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 06:08 PM

Ok. You missed the point yet again. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS SCOTTY MADE IT BECAUSE THE YANKEES SPLIT THE VOTE AND THERE IS ANTI-YANKEE SENTIMENT ESPECIALLY IN BOSTON.

If you are picking teams at recess and the best player in your school picks the handicapped kid first to make him feel better do you say in front of everybody:

"Wow! It sure was nice for Bobby to pick Sparky. That just shows Bobby's so good at sports he can pick someone handicapped!"

I would hope not. Even though everyone in the school knows it, you know it, Bobby knows it, heck, even Sparky knows it, why would you say it? And Sparky isn't even your TEAMMATE, your COWORKER for GOD'S SAKE!

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 06:08 PM

:foulke
"hey, I don't tell those burger king fry cooks how to fry!"

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 06:10 PM

This is mind numbingly moronic the way you are approaching this.

This is not you RAZZING your friend.

This is you calling a meeting for everyone in your department saying: "Look, we all know Ken got the promotion because Jenkins hates the other guy who was going for it".

If you did that I bet you wouldn't be A-#1 well-liked guy around the office.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Yes, but what if that fry cook just burned down the whole store, and he was a friend?

You'd say, "he was damn good at what he did, one of the best, I'd never think he'd make a mistake like that"

I'm still new here, but what you guys don't realize is i'm switzerland. A very opinionated switzerland though. I will argue with anyone who thinks paulie is the worst sox player and will argue with anyone who thinks he's the best. In politics I will argue with a staunch right winger as easily as i'll argue with a hardcore leftist. It's because i can see two sides to every argument, and usually both have a valid point. So while it may seem like i'm paulie's biggest fan... I"m definitely not. I just don't like to see everything he said twisted around and so blatantly misrepresented and taken out of context, it's sick. Same thing with any other sox player. Except Mark Buehrle and frank thomas. I am so heavily on each of their bandwagons and have been for a long time, that no one can ever say anything slightly negative about each around me.

No one is saying he is the best or the worst. What we are saying is he's a primadonna ****head who runs his mouth off about his teammates for better or for worse. Usually worse.

FarWestChicago
07-07-2005, 11:12 PM
You are absolutely correct.

So when Cowley approaches any Sox player, they ought to know he's a First Class, Grade A :dtroll:.

For a guy praised for his intelligence, Konerko's patently stupid to let his mouth runneth over in Cowley's presence.As George mentioned, Konerko is a complete media whore who will do anything to see his name in print. So he steps in the **** over and over and over. It's completely tiresome. But, we do get to see the aPaulogists scramble to cover for their hero. That's always entertaining. Keep your mouth shut, Paulie. Just try it once for a change.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 11:24 PM

The whole thing is that he didn't give Pods props, but oh well. Paulie is Paulie, and likely a free agent after this year.

Jjav829
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
The whole thing is that he didn't give Pods props, but oh well. Paulie is Paulie, and likely a free agent after this year.

You must have missed the first 5 pages of this thread. I'll re-post this quote that basically shoots down any argument that can be made about the original quote insulting Podsednik.

End of discussion. The only argument that can be made about the original quote is that Konerko was possibly saying that Podsednik didn't deserve it or that Pods only got in because of the Jeter haters. Even that is reading into the quote. Well now look at this quote where he comes right out and says exactly what he means. No beating around the bush. You don't have to read into it. He flat out says that Podsednik deserves to be there instead of Jeter. That's all you have to read. In fact, it's funny to note which quote got posted first. Not the quote where Konerko clearly gives credit to his teammate for being the most deserving candidate. Nope. It was the quote where maybe if you read a little into it you can turn it into a negative quote. The positive quote....buried on page 3 of this thread.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 11:56 PM
You must have missed the first 5 pages of this thread. I'll re-post this quote that basically shoots down any argument that can be made about the original quote insulting Podsednik.

End of discussion. The only argument that can be made about the original quote is that Konerko was possibly saying that Podsednik didn't deserve it or that Pods only got in because of the Jeter haters. Even that is reading into the quote. Well now look at this quote where he comes right out and says exactly what he means. No beating around the bush. You don't have to read into it. He flat out says that Podsednik deserves to be there instead of Jeter. That's all you have to read. In fact, it's funny to note which quote got posted first. Not the quote where Konerko clearly gives credit to his teammate for being the most deserving candidate. Nope. It was the quote where maybe if you read a little into it you can turn it into a negative quote. The positive quote....buried on page 3 of this thread.

They're TWO DIFFERENT QUOTES JJAV. And the fact that there are two quotes is pretty much the point of the thread. The issue is not whether Paul meant to insult Pods, whether he dislikes him, or whether Scott took offense. The issue is that Paulie runs his doggone mouth so much that pretty much every word in the english language is going to spill out into the toilet bowl of the Chicago media at some point. There are going to be positive quotes and there are going to be negative quotes from Paulie because he just DOESN'T SHUT UP.

The issue is Paulie loves to talk about everybody on the ****ing team and he runs his mouth in such a way that people can make quotes that sound insulting. Couple that with his quotes that are actually insulting and you have yourself a world class dip**** who should learn that sometimes you should speak softly and carry a big stick...

...something that might come in handy since he's been waving twigs for quite a while now.

the most dangerous place in the world is between Paul Konerko and a microphone.

Jjav829
07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
They're TWO DIFFERENT QUOTES JJAV. And the fact that there are two quotes is pretty much the point of the thread. The issue is not whether Paul meant to insult Pods, whether he dislikes him, or whether Scott took offense. The issue is that Paulie runs his doggone mouth so much that pretty much every word in the english language is going to spill out into the toilet bowl of the Chicago media at some point. There are going to be positive quotes and there are going to be negative quotes from Paulie because he just DOESN'T SHUT UP.

The issue is Paulie loves to talk about everybody on the ****ing team and he runs his mouth in such a way that people can make quotes that sound insulting. Couple that with his quotes that are actually insulting and you have yourself a world class dip**** who should learn that sometimes you should speak softly and carry a big stick...

...something that might come in handy since he's been waving twigs for quite a while now.

the most dangerous place in the world is between Paul Konerko and a microphone.

Someone brought this up earlier. You know why he continues to talk? Because he doesn't know not to. He never hears any backlash. We never hear about Konerko bashing teammates or making controversial statements. The only time we heard anything like that was a few years ago during the Thomas-Konerko drama. This crap that gets overblown here isn't overblown elsewhere. Unless Konerko is reading this site (and if he is, he's probably laughing at these threads), he has no idea how his comments are taken. So he's going to continue to talk a lot. And some people will continue to blow his comments out of proportion. But he'll have no clue that he is saying anything that can be blown out of proportion because no one overreacts to those comments outside of some people here.

Chisox003
07-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Someone brought this up earlier. You know why he continues to talk? Because he doesn't know not to. He never hears any backlash. We never hear about Konerko bashing teammates or making controversial statements. The only time we heard anything like that was a few years ago during the Thomas-Konerko drama. This crap that gets overblown here isn't overblown elsewhere. Unless Konerko is reading this site (and if he is, he's probably laughing at these threads), he has no idea how his comments are taken. So he's going to continue to talk a lot. And some people will continue to blow his comments out of proportion. But he'll have no clue that he is saying anything that can be blown out of proportion because no one overreacts to those comments outside of some people here.

Enough said.

FarWestChicago
07-08-2005, 01:18 AM
Someone brought this up earlier. You know why he continues to talk? Because he doesn't know not to. He never hears any backlash. We never hear about Konerko bashing teammates or making controversial statements. The only time we heard anything like that was a few years ago during the Thomas-Konerko drama. This crap that gets overblown here isn't overblown elsewhere. Unless Konerko is reading this site (and if he is, he's probably laughing at these threads), he has no idea how his comments are taken. So he's going to continue to talk a lot. And some people will continue to blow his comments out of proportion. But he'll have no clue that he is saying anything that can be blown out of proportion because no one overreacts to those comments outside of some people here.Why do you continute to take the silence of his professional teammates as an endorsement of the complete media whore? The fact his more mature peers realize two wrongs don't make a right is an even bigger indictment of Mr. I'll ****ing Say Anything To Get In The Media. Hell, if he was some kind of great player I could see trying to make excuses for his big mouth. But he's nowhere near that good.

Jjav829
07-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Why do you continute to take the silence of his professional teammates as an endorsement of the complete media whore? The fact his more mature peers realize two wrongs don't make a right is an even bigger indictment of Mr. I'll ****ing Say Anything To Get In The Media. Hell, if he was some kind of great player I could see trying to make excuses for his big mouth. But he's nowhere near that good.

I'm not even talking about his teammates. I'm talking about the media. I'm sure you'd be one of the first to admit that a lot of the members of the media love to blow things out of proportion. If they can find a good story in something, they'll run with it. Don't you think a guy like Moronotti, especially considering his hate of the Sox, would be jumping for joy over the chance to write a "Konerko needs to shut up" column based on quotes like this? Yet he doesn't. Any you won't hear about Konerko being a cancer anywhere else. In fact, most members of the media generally acknowledge Konerko as one of the leaders in the clubhouse. The only place you'll hear Konerko take heat for comments like these is here. Not on the radio. Not on TV. Not in the newspaper. Not one member of the media has had a reaction like this. You don't find it a bit odd that the media that normally loves to blow up anything that can into a big story doesn't say a word about Konerko being a clubhouse cancer?

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm not even talking about his teammates. I'm talking about the media. I'm sure you'd be one of the first to admit that a lot of the members of the media love to blow things out of proportion. If they can find a good story in something, they'll run with it. Don't you think a guy like Moronotti, especially considering his hate of the Sox, would be jumping for joy over the chance to write a "Konerko needs to shut up" column based on quotes like this? Yet he doesn't. Any you won't hear about Konerko being a cancer anywhere else. In fact, most members of the media generally acknowledge Konerko as one of the leaders in the clubhouse. The only place you'll hear Konerko take heat for comments like these is here. Not on the radio. Not on TV. Not in the newspaper. Not one member of the media has had a reaction like this. You don't find it a bit odd that the media that normally loves to blow up anything that can into a big story doesn't say a word about Konerko being a clubhouse cancer?

If you call him a cancer while he's on the team he sure as **** won't talk to you. Not to mention - look at the backlash WSI members get when they dare to call Konerko out. Notice that the press didn't call Sosa out on being a ****head until he was in foul favor.

Even Cowley waited till Carlos Lee left town to make up lies about him being a clubhouse cancer.

The point is - Paulie has a lot of aPaulogists right now, just like Sosa did until about a year and half ago. Besides that he is good for giving them a controversial diarrhea mouth comment. Why would they bite that hand that feeds them?

And if you try to bring up Frank, who was a fan favorite think of this: Frank did not like reporters. OR at least he didn't really want to talk to reporters. That was the main thing that did him in. There's nothing Paulie would rather be doing than talking to reporters. And that includes not swinging for the fences.

spiffie
07-08-2005, 08:41 AM
you guys don't understand the humor of Paul Konerko
I would just like to say this is by far the best thing I've seen in this entire thread. Paulie is working on a level which none of us can even hope to understand. He's the Stephen Hawking of ballplayers talking to reporters.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2005, 09:20 AM
The point is - Paulie has a lot of aPaulogists right now, just like Sosa did until about a year and half ago. Besides that he is good for giving them a controversial diarrhea mouth comment. Why would they bite that hand that feeds them?

This is PRECISELY the point. Reporters work their sources.

"Old Faithful" Paulie is the most reliable geyser of oral diarrhea - and endlessly long epochs of crap at the plate - on the team.

Harry Chappas
07-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I may now be counted among Konerko's detractors. His comment isn't so inflammatory as it is stupid. Why rain on Pods parade? Frankly, Pods is way more deserving of a spot on the All-Star team than Konerko.

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
I may now be counted among Konerko's detractors. His comment isn't so inflammatory as it is stupid. Why rain on Pods parade? Frankly, Pods is way more deserving of a spot on the All-Star team than Konerko.

Yup, and if you'll read this whole thread, there's another quote about how he says last year that he was screwed out of the AS spot, but also admitted that he's having an off year this year. It works both ways. Plus the other missed quote that was buried in this thread that Jjav has brought up numerous times.

Thanks, Jav, for bringing some sanity to this thread while I was gone (i only post from work).

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
This is mind numbingly moronic the way you are approaching this.

We finally agree on something. I feel the exact same way about your argument.

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 09:53 AM
''I still think [the game] shouldn't matter,'' All-Star first baseman Paul Konerko said. ''I still think it should be an exhibition that doesn't have any bearing on it, but if the league thinks that's what gets more interest in the game, maybe people will watch it more. More times than not, it comes down to the dollar. If they think more people will watch it or ratings are better and that means more money, whatever all those things mean, then that's the reason why.''

And then look at this. Konerko is insulting his entire team that could make it to the world series by saying the all-star game shouldn't matter. This also means he's disrespecting all of the sox who made the team.

Hang on, someone else take over... I'm not good at completely twisting words around to fit my unbased hatred.

Jjav829
07-08-2005, 10:50 AM
If you call him a cancer while he's on the team he sure as **** won't talk to you. Not to mention - look at the backlash WSI members get when they dare to call Konerko out. Notice that the press didn't call Sosa out on being a ****head until he was in foul favor.

Even Cowley waited till Carlos Lee left town to make up lies about him being a clubhouse cancer.

And if you try to bring up Frank, who was a fan favorite think of this: Frank did not like reporters. OR at least he didn't really want to talk to reporters. That was the main thing that did him in. There's nothing Paulie would rather be doing than talking to reporters. And that includes not swinging for the fences.

You just proved my point. Look at the part in bold. You claim he is giving them controversial stuff. Yet none of this stuff that has been discussed here recently has been the subject of a story. It's not like they are working Konerko to get these so-called controversial comments, then running to write a column about Konerko insulting Pods or Uribe. Each of these recent comments was nothing more than a throw in. The comment about Pods was in a story about Pods being voted into the All-Star game. The comment by Konerko came 3/4 of the way into the story. It wasn't the subject of the story. The comment about Uribe was nothing more than a one-liner at the end of a column. It was shown very little importance by the writer.

The idea of working a guy to get controversial statements is that you use those statements to build your column. To bring up a comparison, when Terrell Owens ripped Donovan McNabb, it was clearly the subject of every story. Reporters got some great controversial quotes from Owens and they went ahead and built stories about Owens ripping McNabb. They didn't write a story about Todd Pinkston's offseason and then near the end insert a brief comment about how Owens ripped McNabb. This is the whole point of getting quotes out of an interview. To use those quotes to support your story.

You claim that Konerko is giving reporters controversial comments, yet they don't seem to believe the comments are controversial. The journalists getting these comments never use them to create their story. They are always buried and shown little importance by the writer.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
You just proved my point. Look at the part in bold. You claim he is giving them controversial stuff. Yet none of this stuff that has been discussed here recently has been the subject of a story. It's not like they are working Konerko to get these so-called controversial comments, then running to write a column about Konerko insulting Pods or Uribe. Each of these recent comments was nothing more than a throw in. The comment about Pods was in a story about Pods being voted into the All-Star game. The comment by Konerko came 3/4 of the way into the story. It wasn't the subject of the story. The comment about Uribe was nothing more than a one-liner at the end of a column. It was shown very little importance by the writer.

And yet we are still talking about it and reading it. They know Paulie is good for a quote. Why do they keep going back to him?

And the fact is while this is a very flimsy quote in terms of negative impact (though still careless and reflective of his yakkety yak disease), there are quotes that have been undeniably annoying and negative: see the Frank Thomas incident and the Derek Lee incident. Surely you don't dispute that he said those?

And yet why does the media blame Thomas and not Paul? Because Thomas is not good for a quote and Paulie is.

Why does the media take Paul's side against Uribe? Because

a.) The Cubs were on Paul's side
b.) It's a juicy story to say the White Sox play cheap baseball. Donnely anyone?

You honestly think the media doesn't see angles? Paulie's not insidious or a cancer or anything, I don't think. He might even be well-liked and a team leader to a certain extent.

However he keeps going to the Chicago media and saying things about his teammates.

In this case it wasn't so bad. In the past it has been bad. But he just has to be there in front of the microphone saying SOMETHING. And it is so rarely to PRAISE his teammates that you just wish he would shut his goddamn mouth.

Or at least, a lot of us do.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
We finally agree on something. I feel the exact same way about your argument.

ba-ZING:?:

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Yup, and if you'll read this whole thread, there's another quote about how he says last year that he was screwed out of the AS spot, but also admitted that he's having an off year this year. It works both ways. Plus the other missed quote that was buried in this thread that Jjav has brought up numerous times.

Thanks, Jav, for bringing some sanity to this thread while I was gone (i only post from work).

And YET, he said both quotes. Which one did he really mean? I'd be surprised if even he could tell you. He just luuuuuvs to be out there getting his face in the news, his name in the paper. The point is, even if he said the other positive comment, he still said the stupid obnoxious comment. It's not taken out of context - JJav was so kind as to post the whole unadulterated quote to show us exactly how it wasn't taken out of context.

It's not that he really means harm, it's just that he has a huge yapper and he HAS ON OCCASION said stupid things that ARE HARMFUL to a team (or at least logic would dictate they would be). Therefore, why keep talking? He luuuvs the face time.

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
And YET, he said both quotes. Which one did he really mean? I'd be surprised if even he could tell you. He just luuuuuvs to be out there getting his face in the news, his name in the paper. The point is, even if he said the other positive comment, he still said the stupid obnoxious comment. It's not taken out of context - JJav was so kind as to post the whole unadulterated quote to show us exactly how it wasn't taken out of context.

It's not that he really means harm, it's just that he has a huge yapper and he HAS ON OCCASION said stupid things that ARE HARMFUL to a team (or at least logic would dictate they would be). Therefore, why keep talking? He luuuvs the face time.

Which one does he really mean? Since both are true, I'd go with the answer: he means both.

1. Pods deserves it. (which paulie said and is true)
2. The anti-yankee sentiment helped pods get in. (which paulie said, and is true)

Why do you believe the two counteract each other? They're not mutually exclusive quotes. You can have one WITH the other, it's not a case of one OR the other.

Jjav829
07-08-2005, 11:09 AM
And yet we are still talking about it and reading it. They know Paulie is good for a quote. Why do they keep going back to him?

Precisely the point. We are talking about it and reading it. Have you heard one other person outside of WSI say anything about this? Have you heard the media who love a good story, and one teammate ripping another teammate is always a goods story, talk about Konerko? Have you heard the Cub-loving media, who would love to find a way to try to tear down the Sox, make one mention of this quote or the one about Clayton? I haven't. Not one word from some of the people who love to blow things our of proportion. [/QUOTE]

And the fact is while this is a very flimsy quote in terms of negative impact (though still careless and reflective of his yakkety yak disease), there are quotes that have been undeniably annoying and negative: see the Frank Thomas incident and the Derek Lee incident. Surely you don't dispute that he said those?

And yet why does the media blame Thomas and not Paul? Because Thomas is not good for a quote and Paulie is.

Why does the media take Paul's side against Uribe? Because

a.) The Cubs were on Paul's side
b.) It's a juicy story to say the White Sox play cheap baseball. Donnely anyone?

You honestly think the media doesn't see angles? Paulie's not insidious or a cancer or anything, I don't think. He might even be well-liked and a team leader to a certain extent.

However he keeps going to the Chicago media and saying things about his teammates.

In this case it wasn't so bad. In the past it has been bad. But he just has to be there in front of the microphone saying SOMETHING. And it is so rarely to PRAISE his teammates that you just wish he would shut his goddamn mouth.

Or at least, a lot of us do.

Yes, he gives the media quotes. But as I said before, they don't seem to think these quotes are as controversial as some people here think.

And I'll agree with your final statement. I wish he would stop talking simply so I don't have to see the people who hate him because of what he said about Thomas a few years ago overreact to every little thing he says nowadays.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Precisely the point. We are talking about it and reading it. Have you heard one other person outside of WSI say anything about this? Have you heard the media who love a good story, and one teammate ripping another teammate is always a goods story, talk about Konerko? Have you heard the Cub-loving media, who would love to find a way to try to tear down the Sox, make one mention of this quote or the one about Clayton? I haven't. Not one word from some of the people who love to blow things our of proportion.

Yes, he gives the media quotes. But as I said before, they don't seem to think these quotes are as controversial as some people here think.

And I'll agree with your final statement. I wish he would stop talking simply so I don't have to see the people who hate him because of what he said about Thomas a few years ago overreact to every little thing he says nowadays.

So you're laying your argument in the hands of the Chicago media. Ok.

Tell me if you agree with these three statements:

a.) Paulie has made at least 2 rockheaded statements that have been insulting to his teammates (Uribe and Thomas)

b.) Paulie is quoted in the papers more than any other player on the White Sox.

c.) Paulie oftentimes talks about his teammates when he is quoted in the papers

If you dont' agree with that I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm going to assume, though, that you do agree. The people you accuse of attacking Paulie did not just decide at random to attack Paulie. We were a little annoyed because of A.) Now we see that he continues B.) to run his mouth off about C.) his teammates.

We see places where he has been careless (to give him the benefit of the doubt). We wish he would just shut his goddamn mouth because his job is not to give in depth commentary on his teammates (or opponents). Since what he's saying could be taken badly we feel it would be better if he were more careful of what he says. Certain people accuse Konerko's "attackers" of saying he MEANT to say these things. We feel these people are missing the forest for the trees. We can't understand why they don't just agree that Paulie's comments are unnecessary and potentially harmful if just one player on his team WOULD take it the wrong way. We wish Paulie would just stop talking to reporters, reporters like Joe Cowley who we KNOW are just waiting for him to say something they could really twist and take out of context. We feel like just because something hasn't yet been twisted by reporters (or even just reported straightforwardly) that doesn't mean the potential to do what they HAVE DONE IN THE PAST TO PAUL is not there. Therefore every time he says something that sounds stupid or inappropriate we groan and wait for the fallout.

Does this make ANY logical sense to you, or am I just being irrational?

(I apologize for speaking for the so-called Konerko bashers. If I have misstated your position - if you ACTUALLY despise Konerko for his face, or will bash him even when he does good things, I apologize)

RKMeibalane
07-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Precisely the point. We are talking about it and reading it. Have you heard one other person outside of WSI say anything about this? Have you heard the media who love a good story, and one teammate ripping another teammate is always a goods story, talk about Konerko? Have you heard the Cub-loving media, who would love to find a way to try to tear down the Sox, make one mention of this quote or the one about Clayton? I haven't. Not one word from some of the people who love to blow things our of proportion.

And I'll agree with your final statement. I wish he would stop talking simply so I don't have to see the people who hate him because of what he said about Thomas a few years ago overreact to every little thing he says nowadays.[/QUOTE]

I agree. And more than that, I think it would be better for everyone if people just forgot about this. The Sox are having a great season, quite possibly their best in more than a decade. Why some people want to whine about Konerko is something I don't understand.

daveeym
07-08-2005, 11:46 AM

And I'll agree with your final statement. I wish he would stop talking simply so I don't have to see the people who hate him because of what he said about Thomas a few years ago overreact to every little thing he says nowadays.And come on seriously who else is gonna do the talking on this team. We know why Frank doesn't talk much. You've got Contreras, Hernandez, Uribe, Garcia, Marte, Shingo and Iguchi that all have limited to no english interview abilities. Garland who's traditionally been much worse than Konerko whining about errors, run support, managers etc. Crede who blows and I believe known as being shy. Pretty much the same with Dye. AJ is probably being hidden since the media loves bashing him and then Crazy Carl (and maxim showed us why he's not let loose on the hounds). So who's left? Rowand, Widger, Pods, Willie, Timo and the bullpen? So a bunch of backups and new journeymen. I agree PK is a media whore but I'm sure he's the official team sacrificial media lamb.

Random PR/media relations intern after the game. Uhm all reporters tonight when we open up the locker room, Shingo, Contreras, Widger, Willie and Konerko will be available to interview.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
And come on seriously who else is gonna do the talking on this team. We know why Frank doesn't talk much. You've got Contreras, Hernandez, Uribe, Garcia, Marte, Shingo and Iguchi that all have limited to no english interview abilities. Garland who's traditionally been much worse than Konerko whining about errors, run support, managers etc. Crede who blows and I believe known as being shy. Pretty much the same with Dye. AJ is probably being hidden since the media loves bashing him and then Crazy Carl (and maxim showed us why he's not let loose on the hounds). So who's left? Rowand, Widger, Pods, Willie, Timo and the bullpen? So a bunch of backups and new journeymen. I agree PK is a media whore but I'm sure he's the official team sacrificial media lamb.

Random PR/media relations intern after the game. Uhm all reporters tonight when we open up the locker room, Shingo, Contreras, Widger, Willie and Konerko will be available to interview.

All it would take is a no comment about his teammates. That's all I'm looking for. Do you comment about your coworkers in a professional setting, especially when you're not particularly praising them (if not taking a backhanded swipe at them)?

S.S. Lumber Yard
07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have a link to prove that Konerko said that?

RKMeibalane
07-08-2005, 12:14 PM
And come on seriously who else is gonna do the talking on this team. We know why Frank doesn't talk much. You've got Contreras, Hernandez, Uribe, Garcia, Marte, Shingo and Iguchi that all have limited to no english interview abilities. Garland who's traditionally been much worse than Konerko whining about errors, run support, managers etc. Crede who blows and I believe known as being shy. Pretty much the same with Dye. AJ is probably being hidden since the media loves bashing him and then Crazy Carl (and maxim showed us why he's not let loose on the hounds). So who's left? Rowand, Widger, Pods, Willie, Timo and the bullpen? So a bunch of backups and new journeymen. I agree PK is a media whore but I'm sure he's the official team sacrificial media lamb.

I think you misquoted me by mistake. Part of Jjav829's message got stuck in mine. Sorry for the confusion.

maurice
07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I have no idea what Konerko's teammates think, but the media is not a good measure. The Chicago media loves and protects media whores . . . until they're no longer useful. The Sosa analogy is solid. He was lauded and protected by the Chicago media, no matter what stupid thing he did or said. Then, when it became clear that he was headed out of town, everybody came out of the woodwork with every complaint imaginable. Another example is Michael Jordan. The media kept all of his personal dealings quiet, until he moved to Washington. Then it was, "everybody knew he slept around," "look his wife just filed for divorce," "what's the story with his gambling, business deals," etc. By contrast, players like Thomas are deemed "unfriendly" or "bad in the clubhouse" because the media doesn't like the way they deal with the media.

I predict that Joe Cowley will have a "exclusive" rip fest from Konerko's teammates the day after he leaves town. If he can't find any Sox players to bash Konerko, he'll just make some **** up and quote an anonymous source.

maurice
07-08-2005, 12:28 PM
:tomatoaward
I'm shocked!

daveeym
07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
All it would take is a no comment about his teammates. That's all I'm looking for. Do you comment about your coworkers in a professional setting, especially when you're not particularly praising them (if not taking a backhanded swipe at them)? I didn't know the media cared about either of our co-workers first off. Don't tell me you don't bitch about certain co-workers or your boss or the CEO or whatever with your family or other co-workers either which would be the closest equivilent. THE FACT still remains he didn't rip Pods at all, from someone that has posted "reading is a skill" quite frequently lately, take your own advice and read the entire passage that was later posted. Only taken SEVERELY out of context is it possible to consider that a rip.

mweflen
07-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Here's another Konerko quote (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=70570) re: Pods. Tempest in a teapot, I suppose.

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's another Konerko quote (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=70570) re: Pods. Tempest in a teapot, I suppose.

That's already been posted... and skipped over by the majority of the "I'm going to twist anything paulie said into something negative" crew.

mweflen
07-08-2005, 01:04 PM
That's already been posted... and skipped over by the majority of the "I'm going to twist anything paulie said into something negative" crew.

Sorry. I tend not to read all the way through "chemistry" and "this player said X" threads :smile:

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Sorry. I tend not to read all the way through "chemistry" and "this player said X" threads :smile:

Actually that wasn't a dig at you. It was said more for effect than anything. My posts hit hard.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I didn't know the media cared about either of our co-workers first off. Don't tell me you don't bitch about certain co-workers or your boss or the CEO or whatever with your family or other co-workers either which would be the closest equivilent. THE FACT still remains he didn't rip Pods at all, from someone that has posted "reading is a skill" quite frequently lately, take your own advice and read the entire passage that was later posted. Only taken SEVERELY out of context is it possible to consider that a rip.

If I had to bitch about my coworkers, I wouldn't do it where they could see or hear it. And that goes for speaking tepidly about them too. The only thing I would do in public regarding my coworkers is praise them. I wish Paulie would follow that model. Actually, I just wish he'd shut the hell up.

no one said that he ripped pods. Read some of my posts. most notably this one:

Tell me if you agree with these three statements:

a.) Paulie has made at least 2 rockheaded statements that have been insulting to his teammates (Uribe and Thomas)

b.) Paulie is quoted in the papers more than any other player on the White Sox.

c.) Paulie oftentimes talks about his teammates when he is quoted in the papers

If you dont' agree with that I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm going to assume, though, that you do agree. The people you accuse of attacking Paulie did not just decide at random to attack Paulie. We were a little annoyed because of A.) Now we see that he continues B.) to run his mouth off about C.) his teammates.

We see places where he has been careless (to give him the benefit of the doubt). We wish he would just shut his goddamn mouth because his job is not to give in depth commentary on his teammates (or opponents). Since what he's saying could be taken badly we feel it would be better if he were more careful of what he says. Certain people accuse Konerko's "attackers" of saying he MEANT to say these things. We feel these people are missing the forest for the trees. We can't understand why they don't just agree that Paulie's comments are unnecessary and potentially harmful if just one player on his team WOULD take it the wrong way. We wish Paulie would just stop talking to reporters, reporters like Joe Cowley who we KNOW are just waiting for him to say something they could really twist and take out of context. We feel like just because something hasn't yet been twisted by reporters (or even just reported straightforwardly) that doesn't mean the potential to do what they HAVE DONE IN THE PAST TO PAUL is not there. Therefore every time he says something that sounds stupid or inappropriate we groan and wait for the fallout.

Does this make ANY logical sense to you, or am I just being irrational?

(I apologize for speaking for the so-called Konerko bashers. If I have misstated your position - if you ACTUALLY despise Konerko for his face, or will bash him even when he does good things, I apologize)

Do I have to say "reading is a skill" again?

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Do I have to say "reading is a skill" again?

que?

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 01:25 PM
que?

another hard hitting post

Sxy Mofo
07-08-2005, 01:30 PM
another hard hitting post

C'mon, you chuckled. You love me like a fat kid loves cake.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 01:34 PM
C'mon, you chuckled. You love me like a fat kid loves cake.

absolutely. it's konerko i'm not so fond of right now

daveeym
07-08-2005, 01:58 PM
If I had to bitch about my coworkers, I wouldn't do it where they could see or hear it. And that goes for speaking tepidly about them too. The only thing I would do in public regarding my coworkers is praise them. I wish Paulie would follow that model. Actually, I just wish he'd shut the hell up.

no one said that he ripped pods. Read some of my posts. most notably this one:

Do I have to say "reading is a skill" again? Considering he didn't run his mouth along with you can stop being an ******* because you dislike Paulie and have a catchy made up word for those that actually like him (aPAULogists) you should heed your own advice.

Your disdain for those of us(me and others) that could care less if he's moved at the end of the year or if he gets flamed when he deserves it, but can't understand the insanity in this thread and the dye/konerko thread is laughable.

Jjav829
07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Considering he didn't run his mouth along with you can stop being an ******* because you dislike Paulie and have a catchy made up word for those that actually like him (aPAULogists) you should heed your own advice.

Your disdain for those of us(me and others) that could care less if he's moved at the end of the year or if he gets flamed when he deserves it, but can't understand the insanity in this thread and the dye/konerko thread is laughable.

I had given up on posting in this thread but I'll make one last post.

It's a lost cause. You might as well stop wasting your time with this thread. There is a select group of people who just hate Konerko. They can't accept the fact that other people don't hate Konerko. They assume that if someone is defending Konerko, that person must have some great love for him. That person can't just have a differing opinion. Their opinion must be tied to a great liking for Konerko. So they just dismiss the person's opinion by labeling them as a FOGIPK or aPaulogist or whatever cockamamie name they think up. That way they can continue to hold their opinion on the issue in the highest regard because the other person is being irrational due to their love of Konerko. Forget the fact that a lot of the people who defend Konerko don't think much of him either way. It's really quite annoying.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2005, 02:22 PM

It's a lost cause. You might as well stop wasting your time with this thread. There is a select group of people who just hate Konerko. They can't accept the fact that other people don't hate Konerko. They assume that if someone is defending Konerko, that person must have some great love for him. That person can't just have a differing opinion. Their opinion must be tied to a great liking for Konerko. So they just dismiss the person's opinion by labeling them as a FOGIPK or aPaulogist or whatever cockamamie name they think up. That way they can continue to hold their opinion on the issue in the highest regard because the other person is being irrational due to their love of Konerko. Forget the fact that a lot of the people who defend Konerko don't think much of him either way. It's really quite annoying.

Thank you. As I said earlier, I think people would be better off leaving this subject alone. The Sox are having a great year. Why are so many people determined to let Paul Konerko ruin it for them? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think Konerko did anything wrong by talking about Pods and Jeter.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Thank you. As I said earlier, I think people would be better off leaving this subject alone. The Sox are having a great year. Why are so many people determined to let Paul Konerko ruin it for them? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think Konerko did anything wrong by talking about Pods and Jeter.

If I hate Konerko because I wish he would shut his mouth and am upset by this incident which seems like just one more in a string of stupid comments this year, then I guess what you're saying is that Konerko saying annoying things is a vital characteristic of Konerko. If that's the case, then I hate that about him.

I like it when he contributes positively to this team. I hate it when he does not. That's all there is to my feelings on Konerko.

All this thread is about is that there are a lot ofpeople who are very weary of Paulie saying stuff to reporters that can be taken out of context. Notice how we don't talk about Thomas because he has learned not to talk. If Paulie would do the same thing, I sure wouldn't have a lot to criticize about Konerko.

edit: I have never called anyone an aPaulogist..nor did I make up the phrase as one poster insinuated. I use it as a blanket grouping. I have noticed a lot of people get defensive about being called it despite the fact that I have never pointed fingers at anyone on this issue, thereby self-categorizing themselves in the process.

edit 2: I feel like everyone is misunderstanding everyone else on this subject. I would like to have a rational conversation with someone on this issue because I feel like I'm being accused of saying that Paulie SAID something specific, when in reality that's not what I'm saying at all. My AIM screen name is the same as my login name. I would honestly like to be convinced that I am overreacting to Paulie and he is not a media whore as George and West have dubbed him. Because that's all I'm claiming. Honestly. I will not be a dick about it, I just want to clear things up since the bottom line is that we all are in fact Sox fans.

daveeym
07-08-2005, 03:06 PM
edit 2: I feel like everyone is misunderstanding everyone else on this subject. I would like to have a rational conversation with someone on this issue because I feel like I'm being accused of saying that Paulie SAID something specific, when in reality that's not what I'm saying at all. My AIM screen name is the same as my login name. I would honestly like to be convinced that I am overreacting to Paulie and he is not a media whore as George and West have dubbed him. Because that's all I'm claiming. Honestly. I will not be a dick about it, I just want to clear things up since the bottom line is that we all are in fact Sox fans. I think the miscommunication in this thread and the other thread is by semi-thread jacking it....once again had to scroll up and see what thread I'm in...In general Paulie leaving at the end of the year or preseason would have been no big loss, in general Paulie has a big mouth and should probably run it a bit less.

HOWEVER, THIS thread was about making a mountain out of NOTHING (not even a molehill) for the purpose of bashing konerko, or rather turned into that, once the quote was put in proper context. It should have died when everything he said was posted. But instead people tried defending the original post and saying context means nothing and Paul's a schmuck.

Basically the same thing in the trade konerko/dye 1b thread. Point of the original post was to trade konerko and marte, move dye to 1st and play CC in right for the rest of the year with a pipedream of getting an ace for konerko. Now that's highly unlikely in and of itself and you're still left with filling the original hole in the pen, plus the one trading marte opens up, and then playing two guys out of position or trying to find a stud right fielder. Instead it got thread jacked into FOGIDPK who were still trying to argue why the ORIGINAL POST WAS SILLY and turned into we're all *******s and paulie sucks.

In all reality in both threads I didn't see much of any FOGIDPK. Chemistry might have been mentioned early in the thread, clubhouse leader as well, but that was all secondary to the overall topic which was attacked.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I think the miscommunication in this thread and the other thread is by semi-thread jacking it....once again had to scroll up and see what thread I'm in...In general Paulie leaving at the end of the year or preseason would have been no big loss, in general Paulie has a big mouth and should probably run it a bit less.

HOWEVER, THIS thread was about making a mountain out of NOTHING (not even a molehill) for the purpose of bashing konerko, or rather turned into that, once the quote was put in proper context. It should have died when everything he said was posted. But instead people tried defending the original post and saying context means nothing and Paul's a schmuck.

Basically the same thing in the trade konerko/dye 1b thread. Point of the original post was to trade konerko and marte, move dye to 1st and play CC in right for the rest of the year with a pipedream of getting an ace for konerko. Now that's highly unlikely in and of itself and you're still left with filling the original hole in the pen, plus the one trading marte opens up, and then playing two guys out of position or trying to find a stud right fielder. Instead it got thread jacked into FOGIDPK who were still trying to argue why the ORIGINAL POST WAS SILLY and turned into we're all *******s and paulie sucks.

In all reality in both threads I didn't see much of any FOGIDPK. Chemistry might have been mentioned early in the thread, clubhouse leader as well, but that was all secondary to the overall topic which was attacked.

Phew. Once everyone steps back and catchs their breath I think we can come back to normal. I overreacted, which I suppose is what everyone was trying to tell me. However, I also think perhaps some posters on this site also overreacted in their eagerness and overzealousness in defending Konerko, going above and beyond. Whatever. The Sox are in 1st place. If Paulie's on a World Series Championship team, then anything bad he said with his big mouth will be irrelevant.

Time to shoot this thread in the back of the ear, I suppose if everyone else will agree to as well.

Captian Ron
07-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Looks like Konerko is talkin out of his *ss agian. I wish he could hit as good as his *ss can talk.:angry:

Stretch
07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
What he said is very true, but White Sox fans did their part as well....

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Looks like Konerko is talkin out of his *ss agian. I wish he could hit as good as his *ss can talk.:angry:

He really likes to spew his oral diarrhea like a reliable geyser.

That's why, to me, his new nickname is "Old Faithful."

:)

FarWestChicago
07-08-2005, 11:02 PM

It's a lost cause. You might as well stop wasting your time with this thread. There is a select group of people who just hate Konerko. They can't accept the fact that other people don't hate Konerko. They assume that if someone is defending Konerko, that person must have some great love for him. That person can't just have a differing opinion. Their opinion must be tied to a great liking for Konerko. So they just dismiss the person's opinion by labeling them as a FOGIPK or aPaulogist or whatever cockamamie name they think up. That way they can continue to hold their opinion on the issue in the highest regard because the other person is being irrational due to their love of Konerko. Forget the fact that a lot of the people who defend Konerko don't think much of him either way. It's really quite annoying.Jesus, Jjav. The people who defend Paulie's incessant media whoring either have an irrational love for him (aPaulogist) or they are astonishingly naive. I can see no other explanation. What positive is there to some ****ing "look at me, look at me" attention seeking assclown running to the media constantly making statements that require rhetorical spinmeistering that would make a presidential candidate jealous to defend? He has a HUGE, self serving mouth and he needs to shut it. How can that not be totally obvious? You call me "annoying", but I just sit here in incredulity trying to figure out what positive value the aPaulogists and you see in his constant blathering. What am I missing? How do his undisputable rips on Hurt and Uribe make things better? How do his disputable, by some, rips on Uribe, again, and Pods add anything? I just don't get it. GIDPK needs to become STFUPK. Is there anybody who disagrees with that?

MsSoxVixen22
07-12-2005, 09:23 AM
OK the only thing I'm going to say is Paulie should be mindful of what he says especially to the media. Second, he has no right to say anything about anyone let alone a teammate thats producing a hell of a alot better than he is. He should be happy Pods got in just like Buehrle and Garland are. Whats more if his verbal spewing continues Ozzie will have his ass outta here. And he probably will unless his 2cd half is better than the first. He has no room to talk. Paulie, IMHO, thinks he's the ****. He's alittle full of himself. He had better watch it or he'll get traded and probably will. How would Paulie feel if Buehrle or Garland or Pods said something like that about him getting in the ASG or the fact that he runs like an old man? Personally I don't think he should be there. He doesn't deserve it this year. At least Pods and everyone else is greatful

PaulDrake
07-12-2005, 09:52 AM

Sheesh Konerko has a habit of making inappropriate and ill timed comments. He should save his energy and concentrate on his hitting.

Sxy Mofo
07-12-2005, 09:57 AM
OK the only thing I'm going to say is Paulie should be mindful of what he says especially to the media. Second, he has no right to say anything about anyone let alone a teammate thats producing a hell of a alot better than he is. He should be happy Pods got in just like Buehrle and Garland are. Whats more if his verbal spewing continues Ozzie will have his ass outta here. And he probably will unless his 2cd half is better than the first. He has no room to talk. Paulie, IMHO, thinks he's the ****. He's alittle full of himself. He had better watch it or he'll get traded and probably will. How would Paulie feel if Buehrle or Garland or Pods said something like that about him getting in the ASG or the fact that he runs like an old man? Personally I don't think he should be there. He doesn't deserve it this year. At least Pods and everyone else is greatful

yeesh. at least try to act informed. There's a quote that's been posted in this thread numerous times where he states that pods deserves it.

munchman33
07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
yeesh. at least try to act informed. There's a quote that's been posted in this thread numerous times where he states that pods deserves it.

If you truly believe that's the point Konerko was trying to get across, then you are the one who needs to stay informed. Paulie was backtracking in that statement, as the damage was already done. Paulie doesn't believe Pods should be there. He's an ass.

Sxy Mofo
07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
If you truly believe that's the point Konerko was trying to get across, then you are the one who needs to stay informed. Paulie was backtracking in that statement, as the damage was already done. Paulie doesn't believe Pods should be there. He's an ass.

*sigh* And how did you come to that conclusion? Because he said something about the anti-yankee attitude that's completely accurate? I still fail to see what's wrong with stating the truth. And I don't know why you all have such a problem with the truth. Pods knows it. he'd be completely retarded not to know it. Ozzie states the truth all the time and we don't have these big discussions about him.

Should paulie keep his mouth shut more often? Yes. Did I like his comment about uribe deeking lee? No. Was this comment about the anti-yankee attitude in this country worthy of this big discussion? No. Do you actually believe he thinks, given his stats, that pods doesn't deserve it and he does? He's openly admitted his stats arent' good this year, and if the team was doing poorly, he'd be under a lot more scrutiny than he currently is.

oldcomiskey
07-12-2005, 05:21 PM
far be it for me to complain about anybodys nickname because not a whole lot of thought went into making mine--but burly is not greater than Wilbur Wood--Im hoping he meant Kerry

22Clueless
07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Let me start by saying that I'm new to this site but I've been visiting for a while now just to read the articles and to see what fellow White Sox fans like myself have to say. I've been waiting to say this for a long time now...THE NON-STOP BASHING OF PAULIE KONERKO NEEDS TO STOP!!.....The White Sox are having their best season this side of 1994 and all we can do is bash our ALL-STAR first baseman who just happens to be a pretty good athlete and an all around nice guy?! In an era when all athletes care about is how big their wallets are and how many commas and zeros are at the end of the number in their bank accounts Konerko is a breath of fresh air. Konerko comes to the ballpark plays hard andcares about this team and the city. A recent article in the suntimes said it all. So stop treating him like the "Big Blurt" (Frank Thomas has been known to stick his foot in his mouth more often than not. Konerko is a good first baseman who doesn't care about his numbers. He plays hard EVERYDAY....what more can we ask for?! In my eyes Paulie is becoming a White Sox icon and fan favorite in line with Robin Ventura, Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen and yes even Frank Thomas. So why don't all you so called White Sox fans leave him alone?!...I say we change the name of this Thread to "re-sign Paulie Konerko"

Mickster
07-13-2005, 10:44 AM
6 days already - LET THIS THREAD DIE!

voodoochile
07-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Let me start by saying that I'm new to this site but I've been visiting for a while now just to read the articles and to see what fellow White Sox fans like myself have to say. I've been waiting to say this for a long time now...THE NON-STOP BASHING OF PAULIE KONERKO NEEDS TO STOP!!.....The White Sox are having their best season this side of 1994 and all we can do is bash our ALL-STAR first baseman who just happens to be a pretty good athlete and an all around nice guy?! In an era when all athletes care about is how big their wallets are and how many commas and zeros are at the end of the number in their bank accounts Konerko is a breath of fresh air. Konerko comes to the ballpark plays hard andcares about this team and the city. A recent article in the suntimes said it all. So stop treating him like the "Big Blurt" (Frank Thomas has been known to stick his foot in his mouth more often than not. Konerko is a good first baseman who doesn't care about his numbers. He plays hard EVERYDAY....what more can we ask for?! In my eyes Paulie is becoming a White Sox icon and fan favorite in line with Robin Ventura, Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen and yes even Frank Thomas. So why don't all you so called White Sox fans leave him alone?!...I say we change the name of this Thread to "re-sign Paulie Konerko"

LOL! No, PK will never be Robin Ventura or any of the other favorites you mention. I doubt he will even be on the team next season unless he takes a huge pay cut.

Interesting that your screen name shows you as a fan of Pods, yet here you are defending PK for his backhanded slap at that same player.

PK is a nice guy? I would love to know where you got that info from. Nothing I have seen said about him leads me to that impression and nothing he says makes me believe it to be true.

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 11:58 AM
A recent article in the suntimes said it all. So stop treating him like the "Big Blurt" (Frank Thomas has been known to stick his foot in his mouth more often than not. Konerko is a good first baseman who doesn't care about his numbers. He plays hard EVERYDAY....what more can we ask for?! In my eyes Paulie is becoming a White Sox icon and fan favorite in line with Robin Ventura, Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen and yes even Frank Thomas. So why don't all you so called White Sox fans leave him alone?!...I say we change the name of this Thread to "re-sign Paulie Konerko"

If you're going to make up stupid and obnoxious nicknames about the best baseball player ever to swing for the southside, at least have the decency to close your parenthesis.

maurice
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
A smart baseball team does not pay somebody $10+ million / year, because he's such a swell guy. Otherwise, Mother Theresa would have received a bigger contract than ARod. Even if Konerko is the greatest guy in the world (and he's not), that still doesn't justify the massive salary he'll command next year. He can't even justify the huge salary he gets this year.

BTW, calling the best player in the history of Chicago baseball the "Big Blurt" probably isn't the smartest way to start posting at WSI.

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 03:28 PM
A news paper took 1 quote from Paulie out of context, inserted it into another article and everyone goes nuts. Who cares? Pods made the AS team and Konerko wasn't bashing him, read the original article that quote was taken from. Nuff said!! Leave Konerko alone. Next.

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
A news paper took 1 quote from Paulie out of context, inserted it into another article and everyone goes nuts. Who cares? Pods made the AS team and Konerko wasn't bashing him, read the original article that quote was taken from. Nuff said!! Leave Konerko alone. Next.

that's not exactly it, but whatever.

Whitesox029
07-13-2005, 04:48 PM
What ramifications? Do you honestly think Scott cares? He'd probably agree. As long as Scott doesn't care, then why does anyone else? The media is going to make more out of it than it is, just like when Ozzie made his "Konerko and Thomas were part of the bad attitude" comments.

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
These threads of quotes out of context are so stupid. We just end up bashing players and trying to figure "what we think the player said or what he was thinking" this is almost as bad as the 1456 Konerko vs Lee trade threads we had last year....Enough already.

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 05:11 PM
These threads of quotes out of context are so stupid. We just end up bashing players and trying to figure "what we think the player said or what he was thinking" this is almost as bad as the 1456 Konerko vs Lee trade threads we had last year....Enough already.

it's not so much about what we think they said or what we think he was thinking but about being mindful to how one's quote COULD be taken.

If you are in a position where speaking publicly is a huge part of your job (as Paulie apparently thinks he is) then you have to be very diplomatic about what you say and consider possible OVERREACTIONS. Case in point, the Royce Clayton fiasco.

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 05:16 PM
If you are in a position where speaking publicly is a huge part of your job (as Paulie apparently thinks he is) then you have to be very diplomatic about what you say and consider possible

Well, when you lead the team in HR's, RBI's, Runs, BB and second in total bases, I think you are always in the public eye for the team.

voodoochile
07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Well, when you lead the team in HR's, RBI's, Runs, BB and second in total bases, I think you are always in the public eye for the team.

Yep - thus all the more reason to be mindful of what comes out of your yap.

HITMEN OF 77
07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
A smart baseball team does not pay somebody $10+ million / year, because he's such a swell guy. Otherwise, Mother Theresa would have received a bigger contract than ARod. Even if Konerko is the greatest guy in the world (and he's not), that still doesn't justify the massive salary he'll command next year. He can't even justify the huge salary he gets this year.

The season isn't over yet. By the time it is he will be around a .275 avg, 40 hr and 110 rbi. IMO Konerko might take smaller money amount to stay with the Sox, play where he loves to play and were (most) fans love him.

maurice
07-13-2005, 05:43 PM
He'd still be overpaid at $8 mil/year. Besides, I seriously doubt he'd agree to that much of a cut if some team goes nuts and offers him the dollars we saw this past offseason.

daveeym
07-13-2005, 07:17 PM
He'd still be overpaid at $8 mil/year. Besides, I seriously doubt he'd agree to that much of a cut if some team goes nuts and offers him the dollars we saw this past offseason.You're cracking me up and killing me here. While I agree, it's not the point of this thread. Talk about taking free swings at Konerko here. :rolleyes:

daveeym
07-13-2005, 07:19 PM
it's not so much about what we think they said or what we think he was thinking but about being mindful to how one's quote COULD be taken.

If you are in a position where speaking publicly is a huge part of your job (as Paulie apparently thinks he is) then you have to be very diplomatic about what you say and consider possible OVERREACTIONS. Case in point, the Royce Clayton fiasco. I thought I was out but yet you pull me back in.:redneck :angry: :tongue: Oh please, don't take his words at face value and in context, twist them into the worst possible light possible, nitpick them for any negativity and then THAT'S what Paulie means. Baseball PC gone wild right here.

voodoochile
07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
The season isn't over yet. By the time it is he will be around a .275 avg, 40 hr and 110 rbi. IMO Konerko might take smaller money amount to stay with the Sox, play where he loves to play and were (most) fans love him.

If that happens, all bets are off, because the Yankees will definitely offer big money to him and the Sox will probably take their chances with Gload or a FA signee for less money.

If you can get a guy who will go .250/35/90 for half PK's price, then you should do it, IMO.

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 09:18 PM
I thought I was out but yet you pull me back in.:redneck :angry: :tongue: Oh please, don't take his words at face value and in context, twist them into the worst possible light possible, nitpick them for any negativity and then THAT'S what Paulie means. Baseball PC gone wild right here.

:D:haha good to see you dave.

Well, you just proved the point - Paul is in the public eye, people listen to what he says. People are going to "misunderstand" what he says. Therefore, like any public figure will tell you: 1.)Be careful what you say.

OR 2.)don't be a public figure.

Since Paul can't #1, he needs to #2.

munchman33
07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
*sigh* And how did you come to that conclusion? Because he said something about the anti-yankee attitude that's completely accurate? I still fail to see what's wrong with stating the truth. And I don't know why you all have such a problem with the truth. Pods knows it. he'd be completely retarded not to know it. Ozzie states the truth all the time and we don't have these big discussions about him.

Should paulie keep his mouth shut more often? Yes. Did I like his comment about uribe deeking lee? No. Was this comment about the anti-yankee attitude in this country worthy of this big discussion? No. Do you actually believe he thinks, given his stats, that pods doesn't deserve it and he does? He's openly admitted his stats arent' good this year, and if the team was doing poorly, he'd be under a lot more scrutiny than he currently is.

Paul's comments are the antithesis of team chemistry.

Pods earned an all-star bid. His team, the fans, hell the entire city got behind him. And Konerko tries to publicly trivialize that but saying it was mostly anti-Yankees people voting for him? I'm sorry, if you don't see what's wrong with that, then you love Paul Konerko to the point you are no longer capable of rational thought.

Jjav829
07-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Paul's comments are the antithesis of team chemistry.

Pods earned an all-star bid. His team, the fans, hell the entire city got behind him. And Konerko tries to publicly trivialize that but saying it was mostly anti-Yankees people voting for him? I'm sorry, if you don't see what's wrong with that, then you love Paul Konerko to the point you are no longer capable of rational thought.

I posted it 3 times because some people seem to be having trouble reading it the first time. Read that comment and tell me where Konerko says Pods doesn't deserve to be an All-Star. I'm not going through this whole thing again. Read the first 11 pages. Meanwhile, people need to stop bumping this thread and let it go already.

munchman33
07-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I posted it 3 times because some people seem to be having trouble reading it the first time. Read that comment and tell me where Konerko says Pods doesn't deserve to be an All-Star. I'm not going through this whole thing again. Read the first 11 pages. Meanwhile, people need to stop bumping this thread and let it go already.

You forgot this:

Come on now. You can't simply post the comments he made to retrace his tracks.

If I say "I hate Jjav" and then later say "Jjav does have some great redeeming qualities," that doesn't mean I didn't say I hate Jjav.

p.s. I don't hate you. I actually tend to agree with you most of the time.

Jjav829
07-13-2005, 10:58 PM
You forgot this:

Come on now. You can't simply post the comments he made to retrace his tracks.

If I say "I hate Jjav" and then later say "Jjav does have some great redeeming qualities," that doesn't mean I didn't say I hate Jjav.

p.s. I don't hate you. I actually tend to agree with you most of the time.

Ugh, I told myself I wasn't going to post in this thread again. :smile:

The comment I posted was not Konerko trying to make up for another comment or cover himself. In fact, the comment I posted was made before the comment that this thread was started over. Look at it again:

This comment was clearly made before the voting results were announced. He was clearly talking about the voting process and what he thinks should happen. The other comment was clearly made after the results were announced as Konerko was talking about Pods beating Jeter. So this comment was not Konerko trying to take back something he previously said. He clearly stated that Pods deserved to be voted an all-star before he said that the votes of Jeter haters might have helped Pods out.

munchman33
07-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Ugh, I told myself I wasn't going to post in this thread again. :smile:

The comment I posted was not Konerko trying to make up for another comment or cover himself. In fact, the comment I posted was made before the comment that this thread was started over. Look at it again:

This comment was clearly made before the voting results were announced. He was clearly talking about the voting process and what he thinks should happen. The other comment was clearly made after the results were announced as Konerko was talking about Pods beating Jeter. So this comment was not Konerko trying to take back something he previously said. He clearly stated that Pods deserved to be voted an all-star before he said that the votes of Jeter haters might have helped Pods out.

So the worse comment came later? How does that make it better?

fquaye149
07-13-2005, 11:39 PM
So the worse comment came later? How does that make it better?

Duh: because it's Paul. Therefore only the good comment counts.

Note to point missers: just because something's true doesn't mean it's all right to say it. Which is why you don't call Ronnie Woo Woo the "R" word.

Jjav829
07-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Duh: because it's Paul. Therefore only the good comment counts.

Note to point missers: just because something's true doesn't mean it's all right to say it. Which is why you don't call Ronnie Woo Woo the "R" word.

Ahh yes, because I'm such a huge Konerko fan that he can do no wrong in my book. I only defend Konerko because I like him, not because I don't believe that his comment was meant as an insult to Pods or because other comments he made support my belief that his intention wasn't to insult Pods.

Now I remember why I stopped posting in this insane thread.

Oh, and to munchman, my point was that Konerko truly believed Pods deserved to be an all-star. You claimed that the first comment was Konerko retracing his tracks. I corrected that by pointing out that he wasn't retracing his tracks because the positive comment came before the perceived negative comment.

Now I go back to ignoring this thread. And I implore everyone else to do the same. This has been beaten to death already. Let it fade away into the abyss of ridiculous threads.

StockdaleForVeep
07-14-2005, 12:22 AM
What is he in error of saying, many people do hate the yankee's and jeter, probably moreso than podsednik fans but thats because yankee's have been more nationalized than the whitesox\podsednik. Both contributed to him being voted in.

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Ahh yes, because I'm such a huge Konerko fan that he can do no wrong in my book. I only defend Konerko because I like him, not because I don't believe that his comment was meant as an insult to Pods or because other comments he made support my belief that his intention wasn't to insult Pods.

Now I remember why I stopped posting in this insane thread.

Oh, and to munchman, my point was that Konerko truly believed Pods deserved to be an all-star. You claimed that the first comment was Konerko retracing his tracks. I corrected that by pointing out that he wasn't retracing his tracks because the positive comment came before the perceived negative comment.

Now I go back to ignoring this thread. And I implore everyone else to do the same. This has been beaten to death already. Let it fade away into the abyss of ridiculous threads.

I was slightly kidding. But let's be realistic:

Yes, one quote shows Konerko backing his teammate's all-star bid.

The other quote shows Konerko undercutting his teammate's all-star bid.

Does either one cancel the other out? No. Even if Konerko hates Scotty he still would have gone public congratulating him, so he would get credit for that.

However, even if he's supporting Scotty he has given a quote that is not taken out of context in which he, perhaps without even realizing it, undercut Scotty's all-star election.

Sorry, but just because he said at a different point in time that Scotty deserved it didn't mean he didn't say that "maybe scott didn't deserve it so much as wasn't hated as much as Jeter".

I mean honestly, I don't claim you love Konerko, but WHY IS IT YOU CANNOT ADMIT THAT THIS IS A REASONABLE WAY OF SEEING THIS SITUATION?

Mercy!
07-14-2005, 02:16 AM
.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/PollyannaRoe/intellcapacity.jpg

22Clueless
07-14-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm a huge fan of Pods....but if you don't like Konerko and what he does for this team then you're just crazy.....I mean who doesn't want a .275 avg 40 homers and 110 RBIS on this team?!.....I've been a White Sox fan for a long time and like I stated above I'm a huge fan of Pods because of the way he plays the game. I wanted him to win that vote more than anyone because he is an "old school" type of player who plays the game right...I also vote for him simply because of the uniform he puts on each and every game.......but to tell the truth one of the reasons I voted for him was because I didn't want one of the two Yankees (Jeter and Matsui) to get voted in. For once I wanted Chicago AND the White Sox to prevail in a vote like this. So I don't have any problem with what Konerko said (and neither should anyone else for that matter) because HE WAS SIMPLY STATING THE TRUTH about ALOT of voters.

munchman33
07-14-2005, 07:24 AM
I mean who doesn't want a .275 avg 40 homers and 110 RBIS on this team.

What in the hell are you talking about. The guy put those numbers up once in an obviously fluke season he's never had before and will never be able to replicate.

Konerko's a .240-.245 hitter who might hit you 40 if he has a good year. Lots of better options out there, especially for his salary.

HITMEN OF 77
07-14-2005, 10:32 AM
What in the hell are you talking about. The guy put those numbers up once in an obviously fluke season he's never had before and will never be able to replicate.

Konerko's a .240-.245 hitter who might hit you 40 if he has a good year. Lots of better options out there, especially for his salary.

What the hell are you talking about? He had one bad season since 1999 for the Sox!! And that was actually a bad half season. He is still averaging around .280 30 hr 100 rbi since being on the Sox. He will bat around .275 40 hr 110 rbi this season. Put down the crack pipe dude.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
What the hell are you talking about? He had one bad season since 1999 for the Sox!! And that was actually a bad half season. He is still averaging around .280 30 hr 100 rbi since being on the Sox.

His 2003 was more than just "one bad half." IIRC, it was more like a bad season interrupted by two good months.

Even his most strident aPaulogists and FOGIDPKs acknowledge that he's prone to long slumps at the plate and he's as slow as molasses on the basepaths. He's also never won a Gold Glove and is not likely to ever do so at, quite frankly, the easiest position to play on the field.

PK's 162-game seasonal averages (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5908) are 29 homers, 28 doubles, 100 RBI, 56 walks, 87 Ks, .276 AVG, .345 OBP, .481 SLG, .826 OPS.

However, his 162-game averages don't tell the whole story.

Last year was his best "power" year for homers and SLG. This is in line with many "power" hitters who by their early 30s see their average begin to drop as their power numbers increase for a few seasons. Yet Paulie only turned 29 this March. Based on his stats, it seems to me he's already at his career "peak," if not perhaps a little past it now.

Furthermore, a few ominous trends appear to portend some bad things. Even though he had a "career year" in 2004, his Ks shot up from 50 in 2003 to 107 in 2004. He's on pace for 119 this year (already at 62 through 84 games). That's not a good sign. Also, in his first four years with the Sox, he hit 30 or more doubles each year. Yet he hit only 19 in 2003, 22 in 2004 and is on pace for 21 this year. That's another red flag. Also, even ignoring his horrible 2003, overall his average has been on a decline since 2002: .304 (02), .277 (04), .249 (05). That's a third area of concern.

JMHO, but I think Paulie already has peaked. I don't think he's worth signing to a long-term deal, because by the end of the deal he'll be producing back-up like stats for superstar dollars. While he didn't begin his career this way, I think in four years people will think of Paulie like they thought of Rob Deer.

maurice
07-14-2005, 12:00 PM
The notion that Konerko produces extraordinary numbers justifying a long deal and a high salary is false. Yes, he had a very bad season. No, he never had anything resembling a MVP-type season. Even in his best years, he is a .800-something OPS player with no speed, no situational hitting ability, and no ability to play a difficult defensive position (pretty much the opposite of Ozzie-ball). Right now, there are 29 guys with an OPS of .900 or higher. Every single one of them is faster than Konerko. Most of them play a more difficult defensive position, and many of them deserve a big-money, long-term deal. Konerko and his 61st rated OPS do not.

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 12:11 PM
The notion that Konerko produces extraordinary numbers justifying a long deal and a high salary is false. Yes, he had a very bad season. No, he never had anything resembling a MVP-type season. Even in his best years, he is a .800-something OPS player with no speed, no situational hitting ability, and no ability to play a difficult defensive position (pretty much the opposite of Ozzie-ball). Right now, there are 29 guys with an OPS of .900 or higher. Every single one of them is faster than Konerko. Most of them play a more difficult defensive position, and many of them deserve a big-money, long-term deal. Konerko and his 61st rated OPS do not.It depends on what you mean by big money. If you look at those 29 guys, I'll bet those that are FA are all making a lot more than PK. Most are in the $11-12M range or higher. So if you're arguing PK is not worth that, I agree. But if you compare with 1B with similar numbers, I expect you'll find he's about right at $8-9M.

Everyone seems to be assuming he's going to want $10M+ next year, but nobody really knows. He's not going anywhere this year because there's no team that I'm aware of that needs a 1B and that has anything the Sox need. After the season I'll be too busy celebrating their stunning World Series victory to care.

maurice
07-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm assuming there's a realistic chance that he'll be offered the type of money that Sexton and Glaus were offered this past offseason, especially if the Yankees continue to disappoint this year. I'm sure he'll get a $9+ million offer from somebody. Assuming for the sake of argument that he's "worth" $9 mil., I still don't think he's worth $9 mil. (or >10% of payroll) to an Ozzie-ball team based on speed and defense. I'm also assuming that the Sox work out a deal with Frank. I don't think that any of these assumptions are unreasonable.

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm assuming there's a realistic chance that he'll be offered the type of money that Sexton and Glaus were offered this past offseason, especially if the Yankees continue to disappoint this year. I'm sure he'll get a $9+ million offer from somebody. Assuming for the sake of argument that he's "worth" $9 mil., I still don't think he's worth $9 mil. (or >10% of payroll) to an Ozzie-ball team based on speed and defense. I'm also assuming that the Sox work out a deal with Frank. I don't think that any of these assumptions are unreasonable.If someone offers him $48M/4 yrs or something like that, I'd shake his hand and say "It was nice having you around." For $9M...it depends on what alternatives are available. The length of the contract is probably more relevant than the dollars. With Rogowski and perhaps Sweeney as potential replacements, I'd certainly not want to offer him a long-term deal, which all by itself is probably a deal breaker.

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 01:21 PM
If someone offers him $48M/4 yrs or something like that, I'd shake his hand and say "It was nice having you around." For $9M...it depends on what alternatives are available. The length of the contract is probably more relevant than the dollars. With Rogowski and perhaps Sweeney as potential replacements, I'd certainly not want to offer him a long-term deal, which all by itself is probably a deal breaker.

9 million for a 3B or OF with Paulie's numbers sounds about right. But Paulie plays first base and only first base. Even if we ditched him and kept Gload, the 9 million dollar "profit" could easily be used to improve us beyond the +20 HR +40 RBI and -20 BA that Paulie holds over Gload, don't you think?

And that's assuming the worst and assuming that we would be stuck with Gload.

First base is the most infinitely replaceable position. Don't you think we can find someone who sacrifices even less #-wise to Paulie for less than 9 Mill.?

And the thing is, Paulie WILL go for 9 mill at least...it's only a question of how much more.

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 01:25 PM
9 million for a 3B or OF with Paulie's numbers sounds about right. But Paulie plays first base and only first base. Even if we ditched him and kept Gload, the 9 million dollar "profit" could easily be used to improve us beyond the +20 HR +40 RBI and -20 BA that Paulie holds over Gload, don't you think?

And that's assuming the worst and assuming that we would be stuck with Gload.

First base is the most infinitely replaceable position. Don't you think we can find someone who sacrifices even less #-wise to Paulie for less than 9 Mill.?

And the thing is, Paulie WILL go for 9 mill at least...it's only a question of how much more.Sounds great in the abstract. Find me a 1B that you can get who will put up equivalent numbers for significantly less money.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Sounds great in the abstract. Find me a 1B that you can get who will put up equivalent numbers for significantly less money.

You're not listening. It doesn't have to be a firstbasemen. It could be an converted outfielder. It could be a thirdbasemen. It could be a catcher. Hell, practically anyone can impersonate a tree trunk. Why do you think we sarcastically call Konerko "Wheels"?

:o:

Any aging major league ballplayer who can still swing a bat is perfectly suitable at first base. Furthermore, any minor league ballplayer who can swing a bat and earns the major league minimum would be perfectly suitable at first base. You can upgrade a lot of positions in the field, in the rotation, and the bullpen with $9 million saved not paying GIDPauleee.

Next to DH, first base is the easiest position in baseball to fill.

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Sounds great in the abstract. Find me a 1B that you can get who will put up equivalent numbers for significantly less money.

I wouldn't say equivalent numbers

improvements here, sacrifice in numbers there.

Tony Clark is playing for circus peanuts. Career 162 game avg of .267/29/95, hitting well this year

Raul Ibanez playing for 4 mill, not getting much PT. 162 av of .285/19/80

Daryle Ward 950,000. 162 av .261/19/80

Adam LaRoche, Eric Hinske, Eli Marrero to a lesser degree will give you consistent, if pretty underwhelming production...

although Paulie's been pretty snooze inducing so far this year as well. The point is, for a lot more money.

And this is not being creative and looking at people who are ****ty outfielders who could play 1B. Not to mention these are pretty close to worst case scenarios. These are the dregs of the crop. Look at these names. These are some hideous names. If we had found out in the offseason Kenny had traded Paulie for Ibanez we would be calling for his head. Yet, not a big dip in production for the $$$. First base is a simple position to fill.

Yes, a lot of firstbasemen are overpaid. Phil Nevin, Dmitri Young, Darin Erstad come to mind. Therefore you're right to say that Paulie's market value IS 9 million. I don't disagree. I know he'll sign for that. What I'm saying is even if we were stuck with Gload or a low level replacement 1b like ibanez or Tony clark, I think the extra money would help us more than Paulie's marginal statistical advantage.

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 01:37 PM
You're not listening. It doesn't have to be a firstbasemen. It could be an converted outfielder. It could be a thirdbasemen. It could be a catcher. Hell, practically anyone can impersonate a tree trunk. Why do you think we sarcastically call Konerko "Wheels"?

Any aging major league ballplayer who can still swing a bat is perfectly suitable at first base. Furthermore, any minor league ballplayer who can swing a bat and earns the major league minimum would be perfectly suitable at first base. You can upgrade a lot of positions in the field, in the rotation, and the bullpen with $9 million saved not paying GIDPauleee.

Next to DH, first base is the easiest position in baseball to fill.

Ha! Took the words right out of my mouth!

daveeym
07-14-2005, 01:50 PM
The notion that Konerko produces extraordinary numbers justifying a long deal and a high salary is false. Yes, he had a very bad season. No, he never had anything resembling a MVP-type season. Even in his best years, he is a .800-something OPS player with no speed, no situational hitting ability, and no ability to play a difficult defensive position (pretty much the opposite of Ozzie-ball). Right now, there are 29 guys with an OPS of .900 or higher. Every single one of them is faster than Konerko. Most of them play a more difficult defensive position, and many of them deserve a big-money, long-term deal. Konerko and his 61st rated OPS do not.:hijacked: Come on quit thread hijacking. We all agree that Paulie isn't worth what he's paid. You guys are ruining a perfectly rational discussion about context and the politics of baseball and mind reading.

maurice
07-14-2005, 01:52 PM
The more I think about this, the most likely candidates at 1B next season are Dye, Everett, or some platoon combination involving Gload / Rogo and a cheap right-handed FA who can also come off the bench and PH.

After the results have justified the approach he took this past offseason, I don't see how KW can give more than 10% of his payroll to a non-Ozzieball player.

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 01:53 PM

Next to DH, first base is the easiest position in baseball to fill.I think you're underestimating the importance of defense from a 1B. While PK is not the best defensive 1B in the league, he's far from the worst. I'd put him about average - a bit better than average at scooping balls out of the dirt and a bit below average in range. And don't get me started on the 3-6-3 DP.:wink:

But the point was that it's easy to say "They should trade [insert player name here] because they can do better." How many threads do we see like that? Any trade can be made to sound good when it results in some mythical improvement. But coming up with real players who are available and represent a real improvement is a bit harder. So they free up $9M? Fine. Who replaces him at 1B and what are you going to do with the $9M?

I have no particular attatchment to Paul Konerko. In fact, I can't see how it makes sense to re-sign him, more because of the multi-year committment than the yearly price. But the post to which I was responding said
First base is the most infinitely replaceable position. Don't you think we can find someone who sacrifices even less #-wise to Paulie for less than 9 Mill.?I don't think it's so easy. If he's so replaceable, let's see a few.

maurice
07-14-2005, 01:56 PM
:hijacked: Come on quit thread hijacking. We all agree that Paulie isn't worth what he's paid. You guys are ruining a perfectly rational discussion about context and the politics of baseball and mind reading.

:cleo
"I predict that you will receive
a visit from the Teal Police."

The sad thing is, I'm quite certain that there is a large group of posters at WSI who think that Konerko earns every dime.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I think you're underestimating the importance of defense from a 1B. While PK is not the best defensive 1B in the league, he's far from the worst. I'd put him about average - a bit better than average at scooping balls out of the dirt and a bit below average in range. And don't get me started on the 3-6-3 DP.:wink:

But the point was that it's easy to say "They should trade [insert player name here] because they can do better." How many threads do we see like that? Any trade can be made to sound good when it results in some mythical improvement. But coming up with real players who are available and represent a real improvement is a bit harder. So they free up $9M? Fine. Who replaces him at 1B and what are you going to do with the $9M?

I have no particular attatchment to Paul Konerko. In fact, I can't see how it makes sense to re-sign him, more because of the multi-year committment than the yearly price. But the post to which I was responding said
I don't think it's so easy. If he's so replaceable, let's see a few.

You said it yourself. The ol' 3-6-3 double-play. It's been worth at least 2 extra outs this season, right?

:kukoo:

Firstbasemen don't do **** in the field. These guys are one step away from being designated hitters, and that goes double for Wheels. He can't move and he isn't even that big a guy to make a big target for the other infielders to throw to.

Give it up. He's overpaid for his craptacular production. He has 3 of the best tablesetters in all of baseball batting ahead of him. A chimpanzee could drive in a lot of runs with Pods, Iguchi and Frank standing at second base.

fquaye149
07-14-2005, 02:02 PM
You said it yourself. The ol' 3-6-3 double-play. It's been worth at least 2 extra outs this season, right?

Firstbasemen don't do **** in the field. These guys are one step away from being designated hitters, and that goes double for Wheels. He can't move and he isn't even that big a guy to make a big target for the other infielders to throw to.

Give it up. He's overpaid for his craptacular production. He has 3 of the best tablesetters in all of baseball batting ahead of him. A chimpanzee could drive in a lot of runs with Pods, Iguchi and Frank standing at second base.

Not to mention that beside 3-6-3 (which admittedly not everyone can do) and scoops (which everyone can do) Paulie doesn't do a damn thing out there.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2005, 02:22 PM
The more I think about this, the most likely candidates at 1B next season are Dye, Everett, or some platoon combination involving Gload / Rogo and a cheap right-handed FA who can also come off the bench and PH.

After the results have justified the approach he took this past offseason, I don't see how KW can give more than 10% of his payroll to a non-Ozzieball player.

Maurice, do you think it might be possible or desirable for Frank to play, say, 40 games at first in 2006 against LHP and DH against RHP for another 100-110 games? That way, Gload could sit against LHP entirely. Dye and Gload could split the remaining 120 or so games at first (with Dye playing the balance of the season in right and DH-ing infrequently). That would open up opportunities for the Sox other hitters to "rest" at DH every so often, and for Anderson to play the field without displacing Rowand and Podsednik too much. Or is Frank all but done playing first base for the remainder of his career?

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 02:26 PM

Give it up. He's overpaid for his craptacular production. He has 3 of the best tablesetters in all of baseball batting ahead of him. A chimpanzee could drive in a lot of runs with Pods, Iguchi and Frank standing at second base.The 3-6-3 DP was meant to be facetious. But I don't believe defense at 1B is as insignificant as you make it sound. Scooping a bad throw out of the dirt is not that easy, but it's the difference between an out and a man standing on second, and that happens at least once or twice a game. Miss a few of those and it adds up a whole lot faster than the 3-6-3 DP.

His 3-yr averages are .283 with RISP. Not spectacular, but not "craptacular", either. He's well below that this year, but most of the rest of the team is well below their career averages, too, so why single him out? All of their averages are coming up closer to their career numbers. He was .314 last year with RISP.

This is all pretty moot, because I don't see much of a chance they're going to re-sign him after this year - not so much because of the per-year cost, but with so many good 1B prospects it makes no sense to offer a long-term deal. So what's the replacement? I don't see Gload as more than a backup. Dye and Everett? Pretty uncertain. The best plan, assuming Rogowski is not ready, would be to sign a journeyman 1B to a 1-yr deal as a stopgap until one of the minor-leaguers are ready. There will be a loss in offensive production, but they'll have money to make that up somewhere else.

Final word: They're not going to trade him this season, and next year is far away. I'm enjoying this season too much to worry about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2005, 02:46 PM
Final word: They're not going to trade him this season, and next year is far away. I'm enjoying this season too much to worry about it.

I think we can agree the $9 million we spent this year is already sunk. I've got no problem with it for the same reasons you don't.

However it's never too early to start thinking about what future moves need to be made, or how to budget the payroll we expect to have available. Dumping Konerko figures to be a low risk/high return move for 2006 and beyond.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I think we can agree the $9 million we spent this year is already sunk. I've got no problem with it for the same reasons you don't.

However it's never too early to start thinking about what future moves need to be made, or how to budget the payroll we expect to have available. Dumping Konerko figures to be a low risk/high return move for 2006 and beyond.

George, assuming another team would want him for his bat (like Houston, who could move Berkman to left field to make room for GIDPK at first), would you consider trading Konerko this year as part of a multi-team deal to get that starting pitcher and bullpen help from which the Sox could benefit?

I personally think it could be done if Trader Kenny is willing to be sufficiently creative. Gload and Dye could more than hold their own platooning at first base, and it would get both Everett and Frank more plate appearances.

maurice
07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Frank is done playing 1B on a regular basis. Maybe occasionally in NL parks, but his leg injuries have all been stress-related, and Big Herm wants Frank to stay off of his feet as much as possible to avoid another injury.

Worst case scenario, your 1B next season is Gload + a cheap FA 1B who rakes LHPs. I can live with that if the savings are wisely spent elsewhere.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2005, 03:27 PM
George, assuming another team would want him for his bat (like Houston, who could move Berkman to left field to make room for GIDPK at first), would you consider trading Konerko this year as part of a multi-team deal to get that starting pitcher and bullpen help from which the Sox could benefit?

I'm not venturing an opinion on this because I don't know nearly enough about ballplayers around the league, their contract status, or the competitive needs of individual GM's.

Barring injury I think the Sox need to be conservative with player moves the remainder of the season. Even the extra starter would become relatively worthless once the playoffs began. He would mostly serve as insurance against one of the Big Three starters breaking down.

Ol' No. 2
07-14-2005, 04:12 PM

I personally think it could be done if Trader Kenny is willing to be sufficiently creative. Gload and Dye could more than hold their own platooning at first base, and it would get both Everett and Frank more plate appearances.Houston is the only team I can think of that might need a 1B, and I don't think they will part with anything the Sox need. Unless you can work out a 3-team deal, this will be tough to pull off. Plus, I'd be pretty leery of putting Dye at 1B full time. You just don't make moves like that mid-season.

voodoochile
07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm a huge fan of Pods....but if you don't like Konerko and what he does for this team then you're just crazy.....I mean who doesn't want a .275 avg 40 homers and 110 RBIS on this team?!.....I've been a White Sox fan for a long time and like I stated above I'm a huge fan of Pods because of the way he plays the game. I wanted him to win that vote more than anyone because he is an "old school" type of player who plays the game right...I also vote for him simply because of the uniform he puts on each and every game.......but to tell the truth one of the reasons I voted for him was because I didn't want one of the two Yankees (Jeter and Matsui) to get voted in. For once I wanted Chicago AND the White Sox to prevail in a vote like this. So I don't have any problem with what Konerko said (and neither should anyone else for that matter) because HE WAS SIMPLY STATING THE TRUTH about ALOT of voters.

He's not currently on a pace to hit any of those numbers.

.250/35/100 and an ego the size of the WSI database is not worth the money he is getting paid.

He might make the 110 RBI, but with 3 guys hitting in front of him pushing .400 OBP, he better get to 110 RBI batting 4th. How many teams that expect to make the playoffs have a cleanup hitter with less than 110 RBI?

PK just isn't that special and he makes big money and has a big mouth.