PDA

View Full Version : Defend Big Frank

HAR-OLD
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
i get so sick of having to defend one of the greatest hitters in history,
i was hoping his recent tear after being injured compared to all the ex-steroid using "sluggers" sucking this year would help. i guess not.

this excerpt from the Contra Costa Times about steroid use is actually unbelievable, this guy basically accuses frank of using and offers his "bad avg." this year as proof
i already emailed the author with stats, and urge you to do the same
- maybe we can get a retraction

excerpt:

"Other players who are mere shadows of their former selves don't necessarily fit the performance-enhancing profile. Still, you have to wonder. Frank Thomas is currently hitting .246 -- when he can make it to the post."

for the whole article go here:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/12064394.htm

username:lizlizliz@yahoo.com
password:bugmenot

the authors email is: gpeterson@cctimes.com

*fixed link

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
i was hoping his recent tear after being injured compared to all the ex-steroid using "sluggers" sucking this year would help. i guess not.

this excerpt from the Contra Costa Times about steroid use is actually unbelievable, this guy basically accuses frank of using and offers his "bad avg." this year as proof

excerpt:

"Other players who are mere shadows of their former selves don't necessarily fit the performance-enhancing profile. Still, you have to wonder. Frank Thomas is currently hitting .246 -- when he can make it to the post."

http://http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/12064394.htm

the authors email is: gpeterson@cctimes.comdude one thing: When you type the link in the box to insert it don't put an extra http:// because it already does that for you.

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 12:08 PM

excerpt:

http://http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/12064394.htm

the authors email is: gpeterson@cctimes.comWow this guy even accuses helton of being on the Juice. It doesn't take a genius to figure why his average and HR's are down: The lineup he is in sucks. Pitchers really don't have to pitch to him that much. And associating Frank with Steroids is Bull****.

HAR-OLD
07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
sorry, im dumb, maybe should have put it in a different forum too i guess

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 12:37 PM
This might be the most ridiculous reasoning i've ever heard. He's hitting homers at as fast a pace as anyone ever.

His numbers would have to be completely different for this argument to make sense. 250 average 2 homers, 18 hits or something.

Palehose13
07-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I have just learned that because of medical procedures that Frank has had in the past (like donating bone marrow to his sister) amek it pretty much impossible to have been or be a juicer.

Methinks Frank is hitting .246 to get to 500 HR's ASAP...which is fine by me.

owensmouth
07-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Was that a writer from the same paper that Bo Jackson sued? Maybe Frank should talk to Bo's attorney.

maurice
07-07-2005, 01:05 PM
In his world, do players entering their late-30s usually increase their AVE?

How would stopping steroid use cause you to hit a HR every 7 ABs?

I suppose Frank's vocal and well-known anti-'roid stance (the stance that earned him congressional recognition and an honorary position as chair of a federal taskforce) was all an elaborate smokescreen.

:kukoo:

Tekijawa
07-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Methinks Frank is hitting .246 to get to 500 HR's ASAP...which is fine by me.

At his current pace that should only be 347 AB's, he might be able to get back to hitting for average by the time the playoffs start if we can start putting some HUGE Offensive games together!

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 01:31 PM
*Sigh*

This guy obviously didn't do his homework. We know that Frank has never used steroids because it was mentioned during his testimony to Congress. Several officials praised Thomas for his work ethic and having accomplished as much as he has because of his talent, not because he cheated. I don't remember exactly what was said. It's probably somewhere in the "Steroid Hearing" threads.

jabrch
07-08-2005, 12:16 AM
The CC Times is complete and total crap. They are all Oakland As homers - and in the pocket of Beane and his boys. I ignore anything from the CC times - it's junk.

Optipessimism
07-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Fraudulent journalism at its finest, folks.

On a different note, shouldn't you know something about sports if you are a sports journalist? My guess is whoever wrote this column was a blonde woman hired for her huge fake ****ies. And if it was a guy, well, he's probably blonde and has some huge fake ****ies.

slobes
07-08-2005, 12:23 AM
That's terrible; Frank has been huge his entire life. He used to play football. It isn't like Mark Mcgwire and Bonds, who were both pretty skinny when they got to the majors. Frank's always been big

SoxWillWin
07-08-2005, 02:21 AM
my response to Mr. Petersons article.

Dear Schmuck
I will not even give you the courtesy of using your name. Accusing Frank Thomas of the use of performance enhancing drugs, and/or steroids is absolute garbage. What's wrong you couldn't find a real story to write. I shall enjoy reading an article about the libel lawsuit against you. When a baseball player has a .250 average with less than 100 at bats it means very little. Frank Thomas does, however, have 11 home runs in under 100at bats. You are obviously just trying to keep that job of yours by starting rumors.....DO YOU HAVE ANYDEFINITIVE PROOF THAT THIS MAN DID STEROIDS?????????????? I didn't think so.

harwar
07-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately,this is not an isolated case.
The national media seem,Really Put Out,when they have to show yet another of Big Franks' homeruns.
They can't talk enough about how great a hitter travis hafner is or how amazing that ordonez is hitting so well after being away so long,but when it comes to Frank, its like,we're not going to talk about this guy and no one can make us.
If Frank Thomas had come up through the yankees or red sox organizations,he would be a "modern day Babe ruth or Ted Williams".
I just wish there was an alternative to espn for tv baseball news.

bigdommer
07-08-2005, 09:07 AM
I love stats and projections, so excuse me and hear me out.

At Frank's current pace, and assuming he sits 1 out of every 6 games the rest of the year (which is reasonable), Frank should play in about 67 games the rest of the year. He has played in only 25 games (some as a pinch hitter), and will play about 2.68 more games in the 2nd half than 1st half. With that in mind, Frank is on pace to hit 29 more HR's and drive in 56 more runs in the 2nd half.

That makes 40 HR's and 77 RBI's for the season. Will this happen? Probably not. But if he's healthy, I see no reason he won't finish with 30 and 65. And if he does that on a short season, that is incredible. And if he does, shame on those media who try to play the tired steroid card.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2005, 09:25 AM
All of this is good, and valid, but like Kenny once said...

We. Don't. Care.

Let 'em all talk, cry, whine, b%$#h, complain, whatever. If he hit's like he's hitting, if they pitch like they've been pitching, if they win like they've been winning....they'll all eat crow.