PDA

View Full Version : Thomas 4 Life

mweflen
07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050706soxside,1,262441.story?page=1&coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Hard to believe no one's posted this yet. Awesome to hear - I've been hoping to hear this all season. Frank has energized this team with his bat and has said all the right things (well, almost all) since his return. Here's to 2 or 3 more productive seasons in silver and black!

"It's mutual," Thomas said of his desire to remain in Chicago. "It would be very fitting to hit [the 500th home run] here. I love this organization and I have given this organization my all. I would love to be here and win it all. This is a special team."

StepsInSC
07-07-2005, 12:00 PM
I can never get enough of Thomas lovin'!

Flight #24
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050706soxside,1,262441.story?page=1&coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Hard to believe no one's posted this yet. Awesome to hear - I've been hoping to hear this all season. Frank has energized this team with his bat and has said all the right things (well, almost all) since his return. Here's to 2 or 3 more productive seasons in silver and black!

IMO the key quote is this one from KW: White Sox general manager Ken Williams indicated Wednesday the club wants to re-sign designated hitter Frank Thomas to a new contract.
"He is a Hall of Famer in my mind. When he gets there, I would like to be there sitting in the audience, seeing him go up to the stage. I also would like to see him hit his 500th [home run] in a White Sox uniform. He deserves this, and he deserves to be healthy.
"If we end up accomplishing our goal [of winning the World Series], I will be happiest for him and for [club Chairman] Jerry Reinsdorf. They put in a lot of work here."

Hopefully this puts an end to the "KW hates Frank and wants him out" blather. These qutoes are way way beyond the call of "GM-speak" and standard support of a guy.

Here's to you big guy. And to hoping you go into the HOF with only 1 team listed on your stat sheet.

mweflen
07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
yes, the positive and optimistic words from KW were a highlight. It seems the management understands the PR boon Frank's retiring with the club would be.

They both want to get it done, and it seems hard to believe Frank would turn down an incentive-laden contract extension.

DaleJRFan
07-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Great news. Get 'er done, KW. I wonder how much of this new "We love Frank" chatter coming from KW is a result of the Chairman....

Here's to Big Frank entering the Hall a 3-time MVP, World Series Champion and the best player in White Sox history...

:gulp:

Flight #24
07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Great news. Get 'er done, KW. I wonder how much of this new "We love Frank" chatter coming from KW is a result of the Chairman....

Here's to Big Frank entering the Hall a 3-time MVP, World Series Champion and the best player in White Sox history...

:gulp:

IMO it's got everything to do with a)Frank's attitude, and b)Frank's performance.

We all think Frank's average will come around as he settles in and continues to get over the injury, and he's showing his trademark OBP skills and huge power. Given that he'll likely take some sort of discount to stay here, and the PR value - what GM wouldn't want to keep him? It was only a question of whether he'd come back strong, stay healthy, and have a good attitude. 2 of those 3 are proven now. Barring injury, we'll see a reasonable deal that keeps him here and has some sort of clause (probably a deferral) in the event of another catastrophic injury.

mweflen
07-07-2005, 01:29 PM
All right - so what should the deal be?

If it were possible, my dream offer would be:

$4 mil per year for 3 years guaranteed, $1 mil apeice per year incentives for: 500 ABs; 30 HR; .275 Average; 100 RBI

Flight #24
07-07-2005, 02:53 PM
All right - so what should the deal be?

If it were possible, my dream offer would be:

$4 mil per year for 3 years guaranteed, $1 mil apeice per year incentives for: 500 ABs; 30 HR; .275 Average; 100 RBI

No chance of keeping Frank with that offer. It needs to be something like:

$7mil/yr, 3 yrs guaranteed with incentives that can kick it up to $8-10mil in any individual year. However, there is an insurance clause that defers $4mil in any year in which Frank doesn't get a minimum of 350ABs and/or hit 20HR.

mweflen
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
No chance of keeping Frank with that offer. It needs to be something like:

$7mil/yr, 3 yrs guaranteed with incentives that can kick it up to $8-10mil in any individual year. However, there is an insurance clause that defers $4mil in any year in which Frank doesn't get a minimum of 350ABs and/or hit 20HR.

i agree that $4 mil base would likely be turned down. i'm just saying it's what i'd like :smile:

I think your plan is workable, but I'd prefer to see a $6mil base, with incentives that can bring it up to $8 or 9.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Frank says he wants to play four more years. I'd give him a three-year contract at $6 million, with an option for a fourth season. However, the fourth year would only kick in if Frank is able to play at least 100 games in each of the first three years. If he can't do that, the fourth year gets thrown out.

mweflen
07-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I think $6 might be a little low, and given the market and potential production, it probably is.

But then, $4 mil is low given Crazy Carl's production.

$7 mil is probably a realistic target.

I owuld imagine if they exercise the $3.5 mil buyout, that the first year of any contract would be around $4mil (making $7.5 mil total), and the 2nd and 3rd years would be for $6 or $7mil apiece.

DSpivack
07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I think $6 might be a little low, and given the market and potential production, it probably is.

But then, $4 mil is low given Crazy Carl's production.

$7 mil is probably a realistic target.

I owuld imagine if they exercise the $3.5 mil buyout, that the first year of any contract would be around $4mil (making $7.5 mil total), and the 2nd and 3rd years would be for $6 or $7mil apiece.

Yeah, there is really no point in buying his contract out if his salary for next season would be anything higher than $6.5 mil. I would just exercise his option for next year, then sign a two or three year extension at 7 or 8 million.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I still think they should install a HR watch clock/board somewhere in the park - get rid of that little marquee under the LaSalle bank sign, get it sponsored by GNC...the "All Natural HR Count"

kevingrt
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I still think they should install a HR watch clock/board somewhere in the park - get rid of that little marquee under the LaSalle bank sign, get it sponsored by GNC...the "All Natural HR Count"

It's only 500 HR, have other teams done that. It seems to me to be a little over the top? Did they do it for Palmiero or anyone? I guess being first isn't all that bad though

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2005, 11:28 AM
It's only 500 HR, have other teams done that. It seems to me to be a little over the top? Did they do it for Palmiero or anyone? I guess being first isn't all that bad though

ONLY 500 HR's? How about, 500 HR's with the same team? How about, 500 HR's CLEAN in an era of juiceball? How about, cuz the guy WILL be a HoF'er...and we need to show him props???

I find it amusing that ONLY 500 HR's is EVEN a question.

Ron Karkovice
07-08-2005, 12:11 PM
ONLY 500 HR's? How about, 500 HR's with the same team? How about, 500 HR's CLEAN in an era of juiceball? How about, cuz the guy WILL be a HoF'er...and we need to show him props???

It's in the rule books that you can only have a HR counter in a stadium for a player when they are going for 700 HR's! 500 HR's?? pleaseeee, Pods could do that if he wanted to.

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 12:51 PM

I find it amusing that ONLY 500 HR's is EVEN a question.not to mention that between 91-99 he played in a very good pitchers park.

mweflen
07-08-2005, 12:54 PM

I'm all for a meter to honor what he's done with the team, but it is a little silly - if he'd been healthy in 2001 and 2004, we'd already be way past this discussion.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm all for a meter to honor what he's done with the team, but it is a little silly - if he'd been healthy in 2001 and 2004, we'd already be way past this discussion.

Point taken - but, it's been clear that he's looking to retire in a WS uniform. Why NOT honor the all time WS HR leader, as well as a member of the 500 HR club, by doing this? It adds to the feel good factor for Frank and the fans...that's all I'm really saying.

SSN721
07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
I dont like the idea of a counter, it seems kinda cheesy to me. I love Frank and all he has done for this team and for making me a passionate SOx and baseball fan but I think the counter is a little much. I think all of us who call ourselves fans of the team always have a good idea where he is at without the counter. It just seems to gimmicky to me. But it would be very awesome for Frank to retire in a WS uni. I think we all want to see that, just wouldnt be right any other way, glad KW is on the same page as most fans. I think 6 mil for 3 is a good base myself.