PDA

View Full Version : Campaigning for Pods cheap?

cbrownson13
07-07-2005, 10:30 AM
I was just watching Cold Pizza and Buster Olny said that Carl Crawford called it "Busch League" that the Sox campaigned for Podsednik.

Also, yesterday on Boers and Bernstein, Bernstein said that the Sox should stray away from being like the Cardinals and stop campaigning for their players.

My whole thing on this is, I would think fans would vote for their players regardless of what the team says. I don't think anyone was sitting there thinking, "Man, I think I am gonna vote for Jeter, oh, wait, Buhrle just told me I should vote for Podsednik, I think I'll do that."

Anyways, I just thought I would get people's thoughts on that since it's the second time I have heard it brought up.

soxfan43
07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
well if anyone knows about busch league, it would have to be someone on tampa

Procol Harum
07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah, don't campaign and you just let the team with the biggest demographics--or the player with the higher media profile--win by default. Typical sentiments being emitted from the environs of Connecticut. As for Bores and Burnsteen--their recommendation is the strongest possible argument for going in the exact opposite direction.

Madvora
07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
This is one case where if the Cubs had a player in the voting it would be a landslide blowout and the world would rejoice in the love an admiration of those cuddly, loveable losers

DaleJRFan
07-07-2005, 10:39 AM
:whocares

Scott Podsednik won. Jeter lost. They need to get over it.

Uncle_Patrick
07-07-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm sure that Carl Crawford would have been very upset if Tampa Bay had campaigned for him. Get over it, you friggin' baby. I have no problem with any team asking their fans to vote for one of their players. I like that the organization is visibly supporting one of its own.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm sure that Carl Crawford would have been very upset if Tampa Bay had campaigned for him. Get over it, you friggin' baby. I have no problem with any team asking their fans to vote for one of their players. I like that the organization is visibly supporting one of its own.

Crawford is a good player, but you hit the nail on the head. He's just upset the devil rays organization doesn't care about him... let alone the fans. I say we trade... timo perez... for him.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-07-2005, 10:55 AM
It's not fair. The Yankees couldn't campaign because they had two players on the ballot, and they didn't want to play favorites.:whiner::whiner::whiner:

moochpuppy
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Derek who?

Carl who?

Go Sox!!

Flight #24
07-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Sour grapes. It's "bush league" for teammates to come out and publicly support their guy? For teams to support their own players?:?:

I suppose it's "bush league" for colleges to campaign for their players for the Heisman too? For NBA coaches to campaign for their guys to make the all-NBA/all-defensive teams?

You know what's bush league? B*tching and moaning about being outvoted. Especially when you're from Tampa and never had a chance anyway since all 5 D-Ray fans wouldn't waste their time.

downstairs
07-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh please. It was fun. The all-star game is for FUN.

downstairs
07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Last time I checked the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are very, very close to being the definition of a Bush League team...

bartmanisgod
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Who is Carl Crawford?

Maybe he should be more concerned that his team got embarassed this week on the field. Please the entire state of Florida could campaign for Crawford to make the All-Star team and he still would have ended up with 12 votes.

SOXSINCE'70
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh please. It was fun. The all-star game is for FUN.

I feel the same way.I voted for fun and i'm glad it worked out.
If Podsednik lost,it's no biggie.He'd get rest for the second half.
But he won,and the crybabies in Tampa and NY need to shut up
and deal with it.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Hitmen77
07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
No way in hell was the Pods campaigning "cheap" or "bush league". It was a great feel-good story for Scott and the Sox. I think it's great how his teammates came out for Pods and started this grass roots campaign. Imagine how appreciated he must feel. It's a sign of how close this team is - which is one of the reasons for their success this year.

that being said, I have been fully expecting Cub fans, Yankee fans, and the Sox-hating ESPN to rip the Sox for this move and to portray it as cheap campaigining. they're a bunch of jealous idiots.

irish rover
07-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't think Scotty P nor PK should be on the AS team. However on the plus side, any time you can stick it to the Yankees is always good

The voting did remind me of of something and I want to make the point I'm not getting all flag waving on ya, but while overseas we were interviewed by some media people why we joined the military. We stated that even though there is a socio economic diversity as well as political(liberal/conser) we all joined due to a sense of duty to our country thus a commonallity, however when the bullits and bombs start flying you stop thinking about being patriotic in a sense and end up just fighting for the guys next to you.

Thus the voting was a refection of saying Scotty P is our guy and we(fans and players) are in this battle together to bring a world series to chicago, That mentality is more important than whether he made the AS or not

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't think Scotty P nor PK should be on the AS team. However on the plus side, any time you can stick it to the Yankees is always good

The voting did remind me of of something and I want to make the point I'm not getting all flag waving on ya, but while overseas we were interviewed by some media people why we joined the military. We stated that even though there is a socio economic diversity as well as political(liberal/conser) we all joined due to a sense of duty to our country thus a commonallity, however when the bullits and bombs start flying you stop thinking about being patriotic in a sense and end up just fighting for the guys next to you.

Thus the voting was a refection of saying Scotty P is our guy and we(fans and players) are in this battle together to bring a world series to chicago, That mentality is more important than whether he made the AS or not

Totally disagree. For you to say Pods shouldn't be on the AS team... then... you have no idea why this team is 31 games above .500, has a 10.5 game lead on the twinks, and has been the best team all year.

irish rover
07-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Totally disagree. For you to say Pods shouldn't be on the AS team... then... you have no idea why this team is 31 games above .500, has a 10.5 game lead on the twinks, and has been the best team all year.

Yes he is part of the reason we are where we are but that has little to do with the AS team, he is the best base stealer in the league but it takes more IMHO to be an AS than that

rdwj
07-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Yes he is part of the reason we are where we are but that has little to do with the AS team, he is the best base stealer in the league but it takes more IMHO to be an AS than that

When you're the best in the league at something - ther is a good chance that you belong in the AS game. And it's not like he steals every chance he gets to pad his stats - he does what's best for his team and you ahve to respect that.

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I was just watching Cold Pizza and Buster Olny said that Carl Crawford called it "Busch League" that the Sox campaigned for Podsednik.

Also, yesterday on Boers and Bernstein, Bernstein said that the Sox should stray away from being like the Cardinals and stop campaigning for their players.

My whole thing on this is, I would think fans would vote for their players regardless of what the team says. I don't think anyone was sitting there thinking, "Man, I think I am gonna vote for Jeter, oh, wait, Buhrle just told me I should vote for Podsednik, I think I'll do that."

Anyways, I just thought I would get people's thoughts on that since it's the second time I have heard it brought up.I once played in a beer softball league that we dubbed the "Busch League".:D:

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM

IMO, all star means what you do to help the team. Whether that's hitting homeruns, hitting for average, OBP, great defense, great pitching, stealing bases, disrupting pitchers for other hitters on the team to take advantage, things that do get measured in the box score... and things that don't. Scott does more things that don't get in the box score than anyone (save for maybe iguchi).

Let me put it another way. How many times have you see him turn a walk into a triple? Or a base hit into a double? And then him score easily on a sac fly or the like. That's as important as any home run, in my book.

Going further. the walk scott earned... many other guys that might be a double play in a few pitches, or him stranded at third at the end of the inning. Because scott is scott... that's a run scored.

irish rover
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I disagree guys. IMHO your def of an AS is different than mine. An All Star to me is the best overall player for that position. What you guys say defines an All Star is what I would consider an MVP for the team, but not All Star

kevingrt
Well Boers and Bernstein are mad about everything in the world so there opinion doesn't really matter on this topic.

As for Carl, maybe he is mad because he saw all the love affair Pods got in Chicago. If he were home with the D-Rays, maybe a couple people would be voting for him. I mean what do you think Crawford's final vote total was 100? Probably all from people voting for Brandon Webb, Oswalt, and the other NL players, oh and one from Dick Vitale.

But yeah, campaining is anything but Busch League. What I want to do now is go campaign for Buehrle as AL starter!

Heffalump
Carl Crawford wasn't selected due to the fact that this is the MAJOR league all-star game. Since he plays for a minor league team, he cannot play.

On a side note, imagine if a Baby Bear was on the ballot for the final all-star. Imagine the "campaigning" that would have gone on and the attention the media would have gotten.

Face it fellow Sox fans, it is the South Side against the world this year (ESPN, the Trib, etc. etc). We beat them for Pods and they are just pouting.

GO Sox!!

Soxzilla
07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Please the entire state of Florida could campaign for Crawford to make the All-Star team and he still would have ended up with 12 votes.

That's because Floridians would have accidentally punched the ballot for Podsednik instead.:tongue:

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal.:o:

EDIT - And the only thing 'bush league' about this final ballot was the CAMPAIGNING that ESPN did for Jeter. Idiotfaces.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 11:53 AM
I disagree guys. IMHO your def of an AS is different than mine. An All Star to me is the best overall player for that position. What you guys say defines an All Star is what I would consider an MVP for the team, but not All Star

He's the kind of lead off guy every team should want. If your definition of an all-star is a guy who hits homers and rbi's, i can't change your opinion. Pods does it a bit differently. Sure he could hit 10 homers like last year, but the sox aren't asking him to do that. They don't want him to. They want him to do exactly what he's doing and nothing more. Pods is why the sox are winning. If he was hitting .310 with 8 homers and 8 steals, less runs scored and a few more rbi's... he wouldn't be as important to this team.

Everything doesn't boil down to homers and rbi's. Also, name a left fielder not on the all-star team you'd want over him.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2005, 11:56 AM
There's a way to eliminate 'campaigning'....it's called 'one fan, one vote...period'

That being said the Sox played by the rules. If Tampa doesn't like it, get the rules changed.

It's all a big popularity contest anyway.

Worthless.

Lip

fox23
07-07-2005, 12:05 PM
He's the kind of lead off guy every team should want. If your definition of an all-star is a guy who hits homers and rbi's, i can't change your opinion. Pods does it a bit differently. Sure he could hit 10 homers like last year, but the sox aren't asking him to do that. They don't want him to. They want him to do exactly what he's doing and nothing more. Pods is why the sox are winning. If he was hitting .310 with 8 homers and 8 steals, less runs scored and a few more rbi's... he wouldn't be as important to this team.

Everything doesn't boil down to homers and rbi's. Also, name a left fielder not on the all-star team you'd want over him.

Especially for what will be asked of the 32nd player in the all star game. He's gonna do a whole lot more for the AL by pinch running late in the game than Jeter or Crawford would ever do with one at bat late in the game.

irish rover
07-07-2005, 12:13 PM

boy talk about completely missing my point and jumping to conclusions. I agree with everything you said about what he does for the sox and how he plays for them , but IMHO that is a def of a MVP not an All Star. I never said anything about hrs and rbi's being the ONLY criteria for an all star. To me all stars are suppose to be the best over all players which includes DEFENSE.

He wasn't incomp for left field position but was up against, Jeter and Hunter who I think are better OVERALL players than he is. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad those two clowns are not on the team and I voted for scotty, solely because he is a sox not because I think he is the best player

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Carl who?

Everett, silly!:cool:

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Who is Carl Crawford?

Maybe he should be more concerned that his team got embarassed this week on the field. Please the entire state of Florida could campaign for Crawford to make the All-Star team and he still would have ended up with 12 votes.

[insert hanging chad joke here]

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:22 PM
When you're the best in the league at something - ther is a good chance that you belong in the AS game. And it's not like he steals every chance he gets to pad his stats - he does what's best for his team and you ahve to respect that.

what about HBP?

outfield assists?

fielding pct?

Look: Scott's a great player and big reason we're in first. But he's a .280/.360 guy...not exactly a superstar.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 12:25 PM
boy talk about completely missing my point and jumping to conclusions. I agree with everything you said about what he does for the sox and how he plays for them , but IMHO that is a def of a MVP not an All Star. I never said anything about hrs and rbi's being the ONLY criteria for an all star. To me all stars are suppose to be the best over all players which includes DEFENSE.

He wasn't incomp for left field position but was up against, Jeter and Hunter who I think are better OVERALL players than he is. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad those two clowns are not on the team and I voted for scotty, solely because he is a sox not because I think he is the best player

Hunter's not exactly having a superior offensive year if i remember right. I could care less about minnesota. Sure he makes the bbtn crew drool because he makes a fantastic catch every now and then. And jeter isn't the best defensive player ever.

Basically, it's a "what this person does best" argument. Pods is the best at what he does. Turning a walk into a triple, scoring runs, disrupting pitchers just by being on base. Torii is a good centerfielder and a strong case can be made for him, as well as crawford. Not jeter though, he sucks.

I don't want any other guy batting in my #1 spot not matter which team i'm on. And that's what makes him a legit all-star to me.

SOXSINCE'70
07-07-2005, 12:26 PM

:whocares

Everyone's entitled to their opinions.If you live your life according to
"Burns and Boerstein",there will be big problems waiting in your future.
Make up your own mind.Don't let the "mediots" make it up for you.:angry:

:hawk

"Burns and Boerstein,who the hell are they??"

-Hawk Harrelson,2004

thepaulbowski
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Even if Tampa campaigned, who would be around to listen. <chirp, chirp>

Brian26
07-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Hahaha. Nice!

A_ROW33
07-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Also, if you are a pitcher on a team 10 odd games in first place you have to look at the ramifications of this decision. Remember the all-star game determines home field advantage for the world series. If you have been watching a player all year tear the league apart like pods has, and you see how that talent could help your league in the all star game you better campaign for him to help gain home field advantage in the world series should the sox make it there.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM

is podsednik not the best lead-off man in the game? or am i missing someone? maybe brian roberts, but he's already on the team.

if "this one really counts", shouldn't we put out the team that's the most balanced and best suited to help us win? isn't that what we should be doing rather than sending out the "best overall player for that position"? and by that definition, once again, isn't podsednik better than everyone else on that ballot?

look at how the nba olympic team did. sucked didn't it? why? because they sent their best and not the team that made most sense. i'm not saying send the best fundamentally sound players out there, but do have a handful of guys that can get on base, steal a base, and move a guy over late in the game.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
i would like to hear the sound clip of carl crawford calling this bush league. CSN interviewed him before the tuesday game (or monday) and he was chuckling and said, "man i wish i had a campaign manager....what they're doing for him is pretty cool". did he say what he had to say after the series was over because he just did not want to get plunked? either way, if he did say it, he's a moron.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
i would like to hear the sound clip of carl crawford calling this bush league. CSN interviewed him before the tuesday game (or monday) and he was chuckling and said, "man i wish i had a campaign manager....what they're doing for him is pretty cool". did he say what he had to say after the series was over because he just did not want to get plunked? either way, if he did say it, he's a moron.

it's all fun and games until someone gets slaughtered in the vote.

ChiSoxRowand
07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
EDIT - And the only thing 'bush league' about this final ballot was the CAMPAIGNING that ESPN did for Jeter. Idiotfaces.

Exacty. Just what I was going to say.

BNLSox
07-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Scott being voted in was monumental. It showed that not only do the White Sox have tons of fan support, but people around the league are starting to notice what a quality TEAM they are.

Being there last night as we learned that Scotty was on the squad was amazing. I'm so glad I was in town for that game!!

Hangar18
07-07-2005, 05:26 PM

NOTICE how if this was a Cub Player, and the fans voted Corey Patterson in,
all the Media from TV to Radio, would be saying how "Great the cub fans really are". I ABSOLUTELY KNEW THEY WOULD SAY THIS TODAY

SoxOnTop
07-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Yesterday's headlines:
"Where Are You Sox Fans? Come Support Your Team!"

Today's headlines:
"Sox Fans Show Support - And Get Critizied For It"

I've never felt media bias quite as much as this year. It is disgusting. Screw everyone else. Just win, baby!!!

guillen4life13
07-07-2005, 05:49 PM
If I may be really honest here...

You can call Tampa Bay a minor league team, and to an extent, you would be correct because it is the breeding ground for other teams to get players from, somewhat like what the Expos were.

However, it still remains that their offense faces major league pitching. It's a popularity contest, and I remember how all of us bitched and moaned when Sox players who we thought were deserving of making the ASG didn't make it because more popular players on down years got the votes. Now that we're on top, we seem to forget that. Pardon me for saying so, but I don't respect that or agree with that outlook.

IMO, as helpful as Pods has been for this team, Carl Crawford has good reason to be bitter (if he in fact is bitter). Pods leads him in OBP and SB, their batting averages are comparable, and Crawford is also a huge basestealing threat (not on the level of Podsednik, granted), but he makes up for it with his HR and RBI numbers, as he is on pace for 86 RBI, 17 HR, and 196 hits. I think that they are on par with each other, all things said and done.

So, while I think he and Pods are on par, the reason Crawford didn't win is because he doesn't have a fan base to support him. I'd be bitter too.

34rancher
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
My take on campaigning:
HA HA!!!

Seriously...Anyone think this will get us some free agents? I mean you really get to see how the organization, team, and fans support you. If you play hard, you will be loved and be able to know that people respect hard work and dedication. I mean what other organization tried to give away $100,000 to a player for playing baseball the right unselfish way. I say great job White Sox. For an organization that has screwed up a lot of situations, you led the way on this one. AWESOME!!!

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
For anyone, ESPECIALLY Yankee fans, to be crying about this is absurd. When Giambi starts at first while hitting .210 its OK. But now the MVP of the best team in baseball makes the final roster spot and its criminal?

:roflmao:

RichFitztightly
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
You may think it's cheap, or bush league to campaign on behalf of Podsednik, but you know what...

WE DON'T CARE

As Sox fans, we had fun supporting one of our own and we'll gladly do it again.

isu24guy
07-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I would rather not have any of our sox on the all star team. I'd rather have them rest up for the games after the break.

batmanZoSo
07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Ob-la-dee ob-la-da...

Maybe next year, Jeter.

Brian26
07-07-2005, 09:56 PM
My take on campaigning:
HA HA!!!

Seriously...Anyone think this will get us some free agents? I mean you really get to see how the organization, team, and fans support you. If you play hard, you will be loved and be able to know that people respect hard work and dedication. I mean what other organization tried to give away $100,000 to a player for playing baseball the right unselfish way. I say great job White Sox. For an organization that has screwed up a lot of situations, you led the way on this one. AWESOME!!!

You know, that's a great point. I was thinking about that last night. The organization, the fans, and his teammates....we all just pitched in and gave Scotty a $100,000 raise for next year. That's pretty ****ing cool. When Pods went out to left last night when they announced it, that had to be going through his head.

Banix12
07-07-2005, 11:00 PM
It wasn't cheap. Pods got 3.9 million votes, that means that he not only got a lot of votes from sox fans but from people who weren't necessarily privy to the campaigning. You got a lot of National League fans who were voting for their favorite player clicking on Pods as well. I'm thinking this was a lot broader than just the fans in the stands and fans on websites like here and Soxtalk. We all helped a lot but he got more support than just us.

I would also say that the Sox started something here, as far as I know they were the first team to really campaign and get behind the player on the ballot. Watch next season, more teams are going to try this campaigning.

Reasons:
1) It brings the fanbase together behind the team and the player for no more than the price of a couple buttons and T-shirts.
2) It brings a lot of really good free PR and it seems to bring a lot of positive media coverage, at least locally.
3) At least for this first try, it seems to work in getting your player elected.

This was a brilliant idea, and i'm shocked nobody had tried it before.

LongLiveFisk
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
GMAB. This just proves the double-standard, IMO. If we campaign it's "bush league", but can you imagine if the Cubs or Yankees did this, everyone would feel all warm and fuzzy inside about what great organizations they are and what die-hard supportive fans they have. We can't win, folks...so I suggest you remember this...

:KW
"WE DON'T CARE"

ChiSoxFan7
07-07-2005, 11:58 PM

Anyways, I just thought I would get people's thoughts on that since it's the second time I have heard it brought up.

I think the "vote for scott" just proves thatthe Sox team is like a family. They're out there for eachother every game, and now every vote.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-08-2005, 12:36 AM
This may have been mentioned in one of the dozen other "Pods is an All-Star" threads, but...

Has anyone noticed Fox's TV ad for the game? It shows a bunch of AL and NL All-Stars inside what appears to be a pinball machine. A-Rod is there, as is Vlad Guerrero; Roger Clemens grabs a large chrome pinball and pitches it to...a grinning Derek Jeter! LOL

I've been seeing this commercial for weeks now, and I guess it never occurred to me either that Jeter wouldn't be selected, but you can bet whoever put that spot together feels a bit foolish today.

JB98
07-08-2005, 02:30 AM
This may have been mentioned in one of the dozen other "Pods is an All-Star" threads, but...

Has anyone noticed Fox's TV ad for the game? It shows a bunch of AL and NL All-Stars inside what appears to be a pinball machine. A-Rod is there, as is Vlad Guerrero; Roger Clemens grabs a large chrome pinball and pitches it to...a grinning Derek Jeter! LOL

I've been seeing this commercial for weeks now, and I guess it never occurred to me either that Jeter wouldn't be selected, but you can bet whoever put that spot together feels a bit foolish today.

People just don't seem to understand Jeter is the third or fourth best shortstop in the AL. In some ways, he's like Carrie Woods. His celebrity exceeds his talents on the field. (Although, to be fair to Jeter, he is a much better player than Woods.) Shame on Fox for putting Jeter in those ads. He's not in the same class as A-Rod or Bad Vlad.

I'm actually enjoying all the backlash about Scott. I want people to hate us. When people start to hate you, that means you are a force to be reckoned with. The East Coast folks are very unhappy knowing that the odds are stacked against a Boston-New York ALCS this year. Either us or Anaheim will spoil their East Coast party. Book it.

RadioheadRocks
07-08-2005, 02:36 AM
If that's the complaint, the whole All-Star Game ballot process is bush league to begin with... so to all those complaining about Pods' All-Star nod, KWITCHERBICHEN!!!

guillen4life13
07-08-2005, 03:28 AM
GMAB. This just proves the double-standard, IMO. If we campaign it's "bush league", but can you imagine if the Cubs or Yankees did this, everyone would feel all warm and fuzzy inside about what great organizations they are and what die-hard supportive fans they have. We can't win, folks...so I suggest you remember this...

:KW
"WE DON'T CARE"

After years on these forums, I think I've finally learned that a double standard exists if it only works against the Sox. It's totally fair if the Sox benefit from it.

IMO, Carl has some reason to be bitter. As I said earlier, he and Pods, IMO are on par with each other. Honestly I think that Konerko is less deserving of a slot than either Crawford or Podsednik.

If the Cubs or Yankees did this, I'm positive that we'd be bitching about it like they're bitching about what the we did. And if you guys try to deny it, you're only kidding yourselves.

I'm not complaining and saying that what the Sox did was wrong or anything. I'm glad Podsednik made the team. He deserves it, and I'm proud of the effort that the team and the fans put in to make this possible. But Crawford is a deserving player also.

As the whole process is a popularity contest, it hurts when you think that you are deserving of a spot on a team, but someone who just happens to be more popular (has a bigger fanbase supporting him) makes it. It's very discouraging, and sometimes those frustrations come out. Again, I don't agree with what he says, but I can understand it.

What Crawford is saying is no worse than some things Ozzie and/or Carl Everett have said somewhat recently. When they let their opinions out, we seem to support it 100%, saying that they have the right to express their opinions--and that's fine. I agree. But when someone out there expresses an opinion criticizing regarding what we and the organization we support has done, it suddenly turns around--"they're stupid for saying this, this proves that the world is out to get us." Give me a break! Crawford didn't say anything out of line. In fact, maybe you guys should see the context in which the quote was made:

"I don't know how it's going to go by with the players, him campaigning like that," Crawford said. "It's a little bush league, but I guess whatever it takes to win."

So Carl Crawford says two sentences, and essentially says that he doesn't agree with the ethics of what is going on, but look at the last part of the quote: "but I guess whatever it takes to win." So he accepts the reality of the situation. That's his opinion. And it's actually understandable, even if I don't agree with it.

It's just sickening that some of you talk of double standards and act as though the world is out to get us, but when we're the benefactors of a situation and another party feels like we usually do, then it's always a fair situation. When they say something, we cry out in disgust. How dare he say that this is unfair? We won, so it must be fair, and he's just a stupid crybaby. Actually, I think that we're the crybabies most of the time. It's not like no Sox players have complained about how the Cubs are so popular. But then they act as though it's really of no issue to them. Hello? If they're saying something, then it's obviously an issue to them. Again, is it wrong? No. I can see where they come from. Luckily the players haven't addressed Crawford's statements, and I hope they don't, or if they do, they don't say something negative.

But here we are, finding something else to whine about. So the media likes the Red Sox. So the media likes the Cubs. So they like the Yankees.

Wait wait... I think I have an epiphany coming.

The media likes what sells. Period, end of story (no pun intended). They are out there to make money and they will do whatever they can to achieve that goal. And honestly, they could do worse.

Welcome to reality. Don't commit suicide too soon because there's a lot of fun stuff going on in reality.

If I've offended anyone, I don't mean anything personally because I know I've been guilty of many of the things I talked about in this post. This is what I think, and hopefully some of you will understand what I'm talking about.

harwar
07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
One thing is for sure.
In the northeast of this country there are some very serious and powerful people sitting around boardroom tables and discussing how this could possibly have happened and how,in the future,it can be prevented from happening again.

Baby Fisk
07-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Folks! Meet the ultimate campaigner:

:santo
"Oh pleeeeeease let me in the Hall of Fame! I've got the stats, I've got the support. I neeeeeed to be in the Hall of Fame! C'mon... C'MON!!!! PLEEEEEEEEZZZ!"

Pathetic. :rolleyes:

SoxOnTop
07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
People just don't seem to understand Jeter is the third or fourth best shortstop in the AL. In some ways, he's like Carrie Woods. His celebrity exceeds his talents on the field. (Although, to be fair to Jeter, he is a much better player than Woods.) Shame on Fox for putting Jeter in those ads. He's not in the same class as A-Rod or Bad Vlad.

I'm actually enjoying all the backlash about Scott. I want people to hate us. When people start to hate you, that means you are a force to be reckoned with. The East Coast folks are very unhappy knowing that the odds are stacked against a Boston-New York ALCS this year. Either us or Anaheim will spoil their East Coast party. Book it.

Come on, quit your hate-mongering. Jeter is a winner and class act. The guy does nothing but pour his heart out on the field. I'll take a SS that puts up a .300 BA w/20 HR year in and year out and 4 WS rings in the All-Star game any day of the week. The guy is the face of the MLB right now and the poster child of playing baseball the right way. If you love what the Sox do this year, then you can't help but have a huge amount of respect for the way Jeter plays.

I'm overjoyed that Scotty Po made it(and even more excited that he beat Jeter in a vote), but Jeter not in the All-Star game is definitely an anomoly.

LongLiveFisk
07-08-2005, 11:04 AM
One thing is for sure.
In the northeast of this country there are some very serious and powerful people sitting around boardroom tables and discussing how this could possibly have happened and how,in the future,it can be prevented from happening again.

BINGO! LOL