PDA

View Full Version : So, can the sox sweep the A's and reach 60?

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Garland, Buehrle and Garcia on the hill the next three.

As of right now how realistic do you guys think 60 is? I'd say 50/50... because the A's always give us trouble and it is tough to sweep series, but on the other side, we have our top 3 going, and revenge is in the cards for the last series.

kingpin_rcs
07-07-2005, 10:10 AM
THe Sox play much better at home, heck they play much better when not IN Oakland. I think there is a very good posibility that they will sweep the series and have 60 by the ASB. However, even if they get swept (very unlikely) it will not detract in any way from what has been an incredible 1st half.

mike squires
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
NO, a sweep aint' gonna happen. 2 out of 3 and I'd be happy. I was thinking the same thing from the previous poster. If we got swept I can't say I'd be totally crushed just because they've been so great all year.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 10:14 AM
NO, a sweep aint' gonna happen. 2 out of 3 and I'd be happy. I was thinking the same thing from the previous poster. If we got swept I can't say I'd be totally crushed just because they've been so great all year.

I wouldn't say that. I don't think it's super-likely for the reasons i stated above, but with our top 3 going at home, it is definitely not out of the realm of possibilities.

The Wall
07-07-2005, 10:19 AM
With our top 3 going, there no chance of sox being swept. Its the A's who have to worry about facing tough pitching. Now, if we can solve their closer Huston Street, the probability of reaching 60 is good!

BigEdWalsh
07-07-2005, 11:09 AM
:cleo "It will happen".

:supernana: :) :supernana:

SOXSINCE'70
07-07-2005, 11:11 AM
I'll take the Meat Loaf approach:

"2 Out Of 3 Ain't Bad".

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I'll take the Meat Loaf approach:

"2 Out Of 3 Ain't Bad".

I'd be perfectly happy with 2 of 3. However, with our top 3 going... i'd love to see 60 by the AS break... and it is possible.

ondafarm
07-07-2005, 11:20 AM
With the current Oakland A's lineup against our top three pitchers, I think a sweep is very possible.

LVSoxFan
07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I would never bet on a sweep.

But with this team, I would never count anything out.

2 out of 3 has been the rule for me all season, and the Sox have produced.

If they do take 2, that's awesome. If they only win one, then our predictions were right: about 58 at the ASB. If they sweep, even better--how great would it be if Minnesota loses at the same time?

More importantly though: I want some payback. I HATE Oakland and I HATE their fans--they to me are even more obnoxious than the Twins. I won't go so far as the Cubs, but what I wouldn't give to send those beeyotches back home without a win...

(Side note: God I hope we don't see them in the playoffs)

TDog
07-07-2005, 11:24 AM
The A's -- unlike any other team the Sox have played this year -- have solved Buehrle in two starts. In the first trip to Oakland, MB gave up two 3-run leads. Last weekend the Sox only gave him a 2-run lead, but MB gave up at least 3 runs in two separate innings. Don't assume sweep just because the Sox have their three best pitchers going.

On the other hand, the Sox have two wins in Oakland, and Garland is 2-0 there.

SSN721
07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
(Side note: God I hope we don't see them in the playoffs)

I have to agree with you on that. This terrifies me as a SOx fan. Although I have to say that if they cant beat the A's if they do manage to make their way into the playoffs, the Sox dont deserve to have it all this year.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
The A's -- unlike any other team the Sox have played this year -- have solved Buehrle in two starts. In the first trip to Oakland, MB gave up two 3-run leads. Last weekend the Sox only gave him a 2-run lead, but MB gave up at least 3 runs in two separate innings. Don't assume sweep just because the Sox have their three best pitchers going.

I'm not sure if you think I'm assuming a sweep. Far from it. I'm wondering what you all think the chances of one, with our three best pitchers, at home, etc. are. I said 50/50... meaning, I could see it happening, but i wouldn't bet the farm on it.

ondafarm
07-07-2005, 01:58 PM

I think you've neglected to consider how pathetic the umpiring was during Mark's starts in Oakland. In both, he was getting frustrated by good pitches not being called strikes and started throwing over the center of the plate. If you reduce even a Cy Young caliber pitcher to having to throw over the heart of the plate, a high school team could probably beat him. That's pretty much what happened, twice.

DumpJerry
07-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Break out the brooms. We're sweeping.

sox_fan_forever
07-07-2005, 03:11 PM
A sweep is possible, but I think the Sox will win 2 out of 3.

CYGarland20
07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I like our chances on Friday and Sunday w/ Garland vs. Saarloos, and Garcia vs. Haren. But it seems like Oakland owns Buehrle, and we can't hit Zito too well. Hopefully we do sweep though :D:

balke
07-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Can happen. Will happen is the question... That I don't have the answer to. 3 games at home, in an important series as far as mentality goes. I'd like to see it, I hope. I think it CAN happen. I don't know if it will, it would be tough.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Now, if we can solve their closer Huston Street, the probability of reaching 60 is good!

Last weekend I was impressed by Street. That kid was throwing nothing but strikes. No messing around, before you know it he has 2 strikes on you.

Still I can see the Sox going into the AS break with 59 or 60 wins.

downstairs
07-07-2005, 05:27 PM
I'll let you know my prediction on Monday.

slobes
07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I agree with what CYGarland said about Buehrle, if we do lose a game I think it'll be that one.

Bisco Stu
07-08-2005, 12:04 AM
I DEMAND a sweep!

1. For revenge against all the A's fans who got on my nerves when I was at the Sunday loss.

2. 60 wins by the break, incredible mark that would be.

3. It would give us a winning record against the A's for the season at 5-4. I want us to have a winning record against every AL franchise to underscore our dominance of the league in 05.

batmanZoSo
07-08-2005, 12:09 AM
God, do you realize if we get to 60 by Sunday, we only need thirty in the second half to hit 90 wins? I know, it's obvious, but it's amazing to think about.

Hell, we'd only need to go 40-36 to reach 100 wins. When you think of it that way, 100 wins sounds like kind of a letdown.

PeteWard
07-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Garland, Buehrle and Garcia on the hill the next three.

As of right now how realistic do you guys think 60 is? I'd say 50/50... because the A's always give us trouble and it is tough to sweep series, but on the other side, we have our top 3 going, and revenge is in the cards for the last series.

A's are a different team on the road. Look at their record.

I'd say the per cents are:

Sox Win 1 out of three: 25 %
Being swept: 10%
2 out of three: 75%
Sweep 50%

I hope our guys tee off on Zito tomorrow. That game should set the tone.

FielderJones
07-08-2005, 12:13 AM
I'd say the per cents are:

Sox Win 1 out of three: 25 %
Being swept: 10%
2 out of three: 75%
Sweep 50%

For a total of 160% :rolleyes:

Realist
07-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I kinda hope we only win 1 of the 3 games. There's something about going into the All-Star break super hot that makes me nervous.

batmanZoSo
07-08-2005, 12:15 AM
I kinda hope we only win 1 of the 3 games. There's something about going into the All-Star break super hot that makes me nervous.

Should we fear the A's, Realist?

Hitmen77
07-08-2005, 12:27 AM
A's are a different team on the road. Look at their record.

The A's have a great home record and a lousy road record. So, I wouldn't assume that our problems winning at the Oakland Masoleum necessarily mean we can't win against these guys at the Cell.

Realist
07-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Should we fear the A's, Realist?

No, Donny. Those men are cowards.