PDA

View Full Version : Mike Piazza's All-Star Status

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Something to chew on.

Wherever you look you see "sports analysts" and others who consider themselves smart when it comes to baseball stuff saying that Mike Piazza does not belong at the All-Star game and that he is in New York so the people there voted often and got him in. These are Mike's rankings among National League catchers with a decent amount of at-bats. Not many catchers qualify so I will use people who nearly qualify as well.

Tied 1st in Runs
2nd in Hits
Tied 2nd in Doubles
Tied 1st in Homeruns
Tied 4th in RBI(3 behind leaders, one of whom is Jason Phillips.)
1st in Total Bases
Tied 1st in Walks
4th in Slugging Percentage
9th in Batting Average
8th in On Base Percentage

The only numbers he can really improve are batting average and on base percentage, which until the last three or four games have been going up very rapidly. My point is that Mike is without a doubt deserving of the start in Detroit. His numbers may not be anywhere near as good as they used to be but Piazza is still one of, if not the, best hitting catchers in the league.

It really is amazing that someone can be playing so terribly and still be the best in the league.

ATXBMX
07-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah, but his defense is terrible. He can't throw out anybody...good for scott!!!

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah, but his defense is terrible. He can't throw out anybody...good for scott!!!

Well, yeah, but do you think most people voting for the All-Star game care about his throwing arm when they vote? His defense is actually amazing. He is one of the best in the business when it comes to blocking balls and calling games. Throwing out runners is his only problem.(I know it is a big problem, but it is his only problem.)

PeteWard
07-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Something to chew on.

It really is amazing that someone can be playing so terribly and still be the best in the league.

Hey, he compared Rush Limbaugh to George Washington. That's enough to keep him off for me.:tongue:

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Hey, he compared Rush Limbaugh to George Washington. That's enough to keep him off for me.:tongue:

Well...Um...Well...Okay...:tongue:

balke
07-07-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I don't really know who else would start. There hasn't been a dominant NL catcher I can think of off the top of my head, although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Lo Duca, but he hasn't been THAT great where I'd cry over the nod for Piazza.

MUsoxfan
07-07-2005, 01:09 AM
I think I saw some stat that Piazza throws out less than 10% of baserunners. NOT All-Star worthy. I don't care what offensive numbers he puts up.

TaylorStSox
07-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't have any problems with future HOF's making it in for their past success. Like they say, it's a fans game. Most of the guys that don't make it will, when the aging stars retire.

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I think I saw some stat that Piazza throws out less than 10% of baserunners. NOT All-Star worthy. I don't care what offensive numbers he puts up.

It is 11%. Very All-Star worthy.

Unfortunately, I really don't think most people voting for the All-Star game care about defense.

86metsghost
07-07-2005, 01:16 AM

Mike's never been good at throwing out runners, even in his prime. Thats only one part of being a catcher. As the other guy said, Pitchers love the game Piazza calls, and he is terrific at blocking the ball. If we went by your logic he didnt deserve to go in 2000 either and he almost single handedly lead a mediocre Mets team to the World Series.

MUsoxfan
07-07-2005, 01:17 AM
It is 11%. Very All-Star worthy.

Unfortunately, I really don't think most people voting for the All-Star game care about defense.

I didn't think voters cared for SB's and other fundamentals either, but Scotty is on the team. A week ago I would have Scott didn't have a chance. I would've said the same for Piazza.

I guess I shouldn't be a pollster....:redface:

86metsghost
07-07-2005, 01:19 AM

Mike's never been good at throwing out runners, even in his prime. Thats only one part of being a catcher. As the other guy said, Pitchers love the game Piazza calls, and he is terrific at blocking the ball. If we went by your logic he didnt deserve to go in 2000 either and he almost single handedly lead a mediocre Mets team to the World Series.

Piazza may be in his last year, and his numbers are still near the top for catchers even in his severe decline. He is the greatest hitting catcher in MLB history, the man deserves to be there out of respect.

StockdaleForVeep
07-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Well, yeah, but do you think most people voting for the All-Star game care about his throwing arm when they vote? His defense is actually amazing. He is one of the best in the business when it comes to blocking balls and calling games. Throwing out runners is his only problem.(I know it is a big problem, but it is his only problem.)

You think people vote care about current season stats? People vote for the familiar stud name, regardless of stats. They vote on recognition of past years. The coaches pick based on stats(and favoritsm)

I recall a hockey season, hasek played like 10 games due to injury and was voted an all star starter, hell didnt garciaparra get a bunch of votes too?

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 12:33 PM
I didn't think voters cared for SB's and other fundamentals either, but Scotty is on the team. A week ago I would have Scott didn't have a chance. I would've said the same for Piazza.

I guess I shouldn't be a pollster....:redface:

Stolen bases on offense and on defense for a catcher are totally different. Most people don't look at defensive numbers when voting.

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 12:33 PM
You think people vote care about current season stats? People vote for the familiar stud name, regardless of stats. They vote on recognition of past years. The coaches pick based on stats(and favoritsm)

I recall a hockey season, hasek played like 10 games due to injury and was voted an all star starter, hell didnt garciaparra get a bunch of votes too?

Very true. I am just trying to justify it.

Rocklive99
07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, in the NL, Piazza has the best C stats, but there are about 9 or 10 AL catchers that are better