PDA

View Full Version : Sox you knew before they were Sox

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Who on this team did you see play before they were even with the Sox (or even in the majors), and where did you see them play?

I graduated from Illinois State University in May, 2004, and I saw Neal Cotts pitch as the ace of the Redbirds' pitching staff during the 2001 season. Complete games (or close to that) weren't uncommon for him...he gave our bullpen MUCH rest whenever he started (which was generally twice a week). I knew he'd make it big someday, and was totally elated when he was traded into our system.

Huisj
07-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I saw Casey Rogowski play in High School. I guess that doesn't quite count since he's at Birmingham.

He gone
07-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Ron Kittle came to our High School baseball practice in the early 80's. This was while he was in the minors.

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Paul Konerko: I was in LA in 98 and he was brought up for one of those Pre-Season games between the Angels and Dodgers. I was on the way to a Clippers Game with my cousins and I was listening to the Dodgers game in the Car. I remember Vin Scully saying that he hit 2 HR's in the 1st game and than the game winning HR in the 3rd game. The name stuck with me and in 99 when the Sox traded Cameron for him I told everybody that Konerko was gonna be a Stud. My Friend's dad who is a Cub fan was saying how Konerko sucked and everything. I told him you watch he will be great. And look who had the last laugh.

Palehose13
07-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Was a big time Pods fan here in Milwaukee. I loved the trade the minute it happened. I'm glad everyone else caught on too! :wink:

greasywheels121
07-07-2005, 12:59 PM
I saw AJP play A ball for the Ft. Wayne Wizards in the mid-90s.

soltrain21
07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Paul Konerko: I was in LA in 98 and he was brought up for one of those Pre-Season games between the Angels and Dodgers. I was on the way to a Clippers Game with my cousins and I was listening to the Dodgers game in the Car. I remember Vin Scully saying that he hit 2 HR's in the 1st game and than the game winning HR in the 3rd game. The name stuck with me and in 99 when the Sox traded Cameron for him I told everybody that Konerko was gonna be a Stud. My Friend's dad who is a Cub fan was saying how Konerko sucked and everything. I told him you watch he will be great. And look who had the last laugh.

Your friend's dad.

PBRWarrior
07-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I too saw a great deal of Neal Cotts while at ISU. I always will support him and Danny Kolb due to the ISU alumni status. Graduated Dec. 2003

FielderJones
07-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Your friend's dad.

There are so many premier first basemen out there just waiting to be traded. I'm sure the Flubs will be happy to part with Lee for PK straight up.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Your friend's dad.

and once again the prognostication of White Sox Josh rears its well reasoned head.

He knew Paulie was going to be great, not because he saw him play, but because he heard he hit 3 home runs in a couple of spring training ("preseason") games.

Well, at least he's more qualified than Harold Reynolds.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Your friend's dad.

ZING!

A_ROW33
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I saw scott podsednik when he was with the kane county cougars in 97

maurice
07-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Konerko was maybe the top prospect in baseball when he played in the Dodgers org., and was expected to be a top power hitter. That didn't pan out right away, so he was dumped to the Reds. The Reds weren't happy with him either and traded him to us.

brewcrew/chisox
07-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Jose Valentine

SPods

Vizciano

Jamie Navaro :angry:....I can't remember who the Brewers got for that waste of space, but I recall that the trade was horrible for both teams...kind of the Anti C-Lee trade.

Cal Eldred

All former Brewers that I've seen play before coming to the Sox. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch but those come to me off the top of my head.

I believe Kelly Wunch played with the Brewcrew, but I don't remember seeing him.

CHIsoxNation
07-07-2005, 02:19 PM
I saw Neal Cotts pitch often when I was at ISU. Also, in high school I had the privilege of facing Chris Honel a few times when we played one another.

tacosalbarojas
07-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Saw Craig Wilson in the old DPVL (Des Plaines Valley League)...moment of silence please....thank you...when he played short for the mighty Leyden Eagles in the mid-to-late eighties.

MUScholar21
07-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Aren't we stretching a bit for topics at this point? I mean, I know its an off-day, but this is the best topic anyone could think of?

WhiteSoxFan84
07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
although he's not on the white sox, i saw victor diaz of the ny mets play HS ball.

i also saw quentin richardson play when he was at whitney young. actually saw him in the school one day and he gave me directions to get to where i was going. i had no idea who he was at the time. i just thought to myself, "damn, im short".

TomBradley72
07-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Donn Pall....we lived in the same freshman dorm at U of I...remember throwing with him in the spring to help him get ready for spring tryouts with the Illini.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Donn Pall....we lived in the same freshman dorm at U of I...remember throwing with him in the spring to help him get ready for spring tryouts with the Illini.

that is pretty DAMN cool!

NonetheLoaiza
07-07-2005, 08:09 PM
A couple of Kane County Cougars...

Scotty Pods and Ross Gload

Tragg
07-07-2005, 10:13 PM
I saw several, probably now ex-Sox, pitch for Nashville when they were our AAA team.

In fact, one balmy evening, I went down to the pen, and asked which one could quickly put on 50 pounds and impersonate Carlos Castillo so we could somehow get him off the major league mound.

SoxFanSince67
07-07-2005, 10:37 PM
While living in Kinston, NC in the lat 80's, I watched Albert (then Joey) Belle, play for the Kinston Indians

White Sox Josh
07-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Your friend's dad.he was actually my baseball coach to for 5 years. I loved 2000 when he was my coach.

Unregistered
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
and once again the prognostication of White Sox Josh rears its well reasoned head.

He knew Paulie was going to be great, not because he saw him play, but because he heard he hit 3 home runs in a couple of spring training ("preseason") games.

Well, at least he's more qualified than Harold Reynolds.
Not to mention that he was 10 in 1998.

He gone
07-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I played against Kenny Lofton in high school, he use to play for the Sox :D:

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2005, 02:43 AM
I saw scott podsednik when he was with the kane county cougars in 97

Me too, as well as Ross Gload in 1998

SMO

MUsoxfan
07-08-2005, 02:55 AM
Was a big time Pods fan here in Milwaukee. I loved the trade the minute it happened. I'm glad everyone else caught on too! :wink:

He became my favorite player in 2003. I traded for him every year in my MVP games. Now I no longer have to do that. It's alot harder to trade for an all-star:cool:

thecell
07-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Jose Valentine.

Who's Jose Valentine?

ma_deuce
07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Though I never saw a White Sox player in thier high school/college days, I did have the wonderful opportunity of watching Donovan McNabb crush my high school (Br. Rice) in football... several times in fact. :whiner:
...but I'm not bitter or anything. :angry:

Deuce

chisox
07-08-2005, 11:47 AM
i saw ozuna when he was coming up through the portland seadogs when they were sill a part of the marlins' system. i also caught kevin millar and shefield there about ten years ago.

Randar68
07-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Current Sox players I saw play in the minors:

Crede
Rowand
Garland
Cotts
Willie Harris
Buehrle
McCarthy

might be missing someone...

mccoydp
07-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Who's Jose Valentine?

:manos

"Recuerdas? No? Recuerdame!"

bahn1225
07-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Bobby Jenks

I was the bus driver for the Cedar Rapids Kernels when Jenks was on the team.

He was just another player, friendly, didn't cause any trouble.
I don't understand why, when he got up to AA league he got in trouble for having beer on the bus. Beer after a game was not unusual.
In fact, I recall every year after a Kane County series we would stop at the DeKalb oasis let the team off to go to McDonalds and I would drive over to Dekalb with a couple of the coaches and we would buy a few cases for the team at a package store.

I sure hope Jenks works out for us.

1951Campbell
07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
I saw Carl Everett quite a bit when I lived in Boston. And let me take this opportunity to dispel a piece of Crazy Carl lore.

You may remember that he got tossed from a game at Fenway after he scratched out the back line of the batter's box, got called on it, and allegedly head-butted an ump during the ensuing argument.

My wife and I had seats not to far down the 3rd base line. From our vantage point, Carl and the ump were in perfect profile. Carl yelled emphatically, and his head came forward as often is the case. The ump simply took the chance to flop better than most NBA or soccer players could ever dream. Carl didn't even touch him.

That's not to say, of course, that Carl didn't toss a bunch of stuff from the dugout on the field as he left. Well, that he did. But I'll go to my grave maintaining that Carl did not head-butt an ump.

fquaye149
07-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I saw Carl Everett quite a bit when I lived in Boston. And let me take this opportunity to dispel a piece of Crazy Carl lore.

You may remember that he got tossed from a game at Fenway after he scratched out the back line of the batter's box, got called on it, and allegedly head-butted an ump during the ensuing argument.

My wife and I had seats not to far down the 3rd base line. From our vantage point, Carl and the ump were in perfect profile. Carl yelled emphatically, and his head came forward as often is the case. The ump simply took the chance to flop better than most NBA or soccer players could ever dream. Carl didn't even touch him.

That's not to say, of course, that Carl didn't toss a bunch of stuff from the dugout on the field as he left. Well, that he did. But I'll go to my grave maintaining that Carl did not head-butt an ump.

Good grief. Umpires can be real *******s sometimes. See Hunter Wendlestedt.

Kevin
07-08-2005, 03:15 PM
What about Sox I know after they are Sox? Ron Karkovice is at a ton of my school's baseball games (His alma mater as well) and runs a deli a 2 minute drive from my house, he's there all the time, although I can't say he's very anxious to talk Sox.

DSpivack
07-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Who's Jose Valentine?

I think he meant Joe Valentine.

soxjim
07-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Jon Garland when he pitched in Rockford.

Chisoxfn
07-08-2005, 08:48 PM
I was at those games and I distinctly remember Paulie killing those two homers and me saying god this guy is going to be good. Dodgers had been talking about him a ton and he was killing the ball and basically he was my favorite non White Sox when the Sox acquired him.

White Sox Josh
07-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I was at those games and I distinctly remember Paulie killing those two homers and me saying god this guy is going to be good. Dodgers had been talking about him a ton and he was killing the ball and basically he was my favorite non White Sox when the Sox acquired him.And don't ask me why i was at a Clippers game.:rolleyes: Most pathetic sports franchise ever. About Konerko though wasn't he a catcher when he was in the Dodgers system?

bmac5001
07-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Neal Cotts with ISU, Pablo Ozuna with the Peoria Chiefs.

Goose
07-09-2005, 08:58 AM
And don't ask me why i was at a Clippers game.:rolleyes: Most pathetic sports franchise ever. About Konerko though wasn't he a catcher when he was in the Dodgers system?

Umm, Looks like Josh hit it on the head again...

I thought the Cubs held that title.