PDA

View Full Version : My analasys, what you guys think?

ukigdog
07-07-2005, 12:40 AM
I have been listening to rumors of trades, but nothing seems like it will happen or is possible.

Schmidt has lost his velocity and I just dont trust him, Clemens doesnt want to come here and the Astros are playing well, Zito wont be traded cause the A's are doing well, and i dont think that Burnett is a good fit for us. However there are two rumors i just heard on baseball tonight that sound very intriguing, what do you all think?

1. The last few days i have been seeing in either the Cubune or the Scrub Times that there have been scouts from Arizona at our games consistently looking for releif help.

Trade Jose Contreras, Jose Vizcaino, prospect to Arizona for Javier Vazquez.

Outside of the first few starts of the season, this guy has had pretty darn good stuff. In fact he pitched tonight and took a loss but threw a complete game only giving up 3 hits to the Cardinals potent lineup.

2. Peter Gammons reported on baseball tonight that the White Sox are looking at Eddy Guardado and want to trade for him.

He has been outstanding this year so far, and has over 20 saves i think. This may be that lefty we need with Marte uncertain right now.

What do you guys think of these kind of trades? Can you imagine that Pitching staff if these to trades happen?

Buehrle
Garland
Vazquez
Garcia
El Duque

Hermanson
Guardado
Politte
Marte
Shingo
Cotts
Jenks

I think this pitching would be no doubt tops in all of baseball without any question and if we can maybe add one bat perhaps put us over the top for playoffs?

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:44 AM
I have been listening to rumors of trades, but nothing seems like it will happen or is possible.

Schmidt has lost his velocity and I just dont trust him, Clemens doesnt want to come here and the Astros are playing well, Zito wont be traded cause the A's are doing well, and i dont think that Burnett is a good fit for us. However there are two rumors i just heard on baseball tonight that sound very intriguing, what do you all think?

1. The last few days i have been seeing in either the Cubune or the Scrub Times that there have been scouts from Arizona at our games consistently looking for releif help.

Trade Jose Contreras, Jose Vizcaino, prospect to Arizona for Javier Vazquez.

Outside of the first few starts of the season, this guy has had pretty darn good stuff. In fact he pitched tonight and took a loss but threw a complete game only giving up 3 hits to the Cardinals potent lineup.

2. Peter Gammons reported on baseball tonight that the White Sox are looking at Eddy Guardado and want to trade for him.

He has been outstanding this year so far, and has over 20 saves i think. This may be that lefty we need with Marte uncertain right now.

What do you guys think of these kind of trades? Can you imagine that Pitching staff if these to trades happen?

Buehrle
Garland
Vazquez
Garcia
El Duque

Hermanson
Guardado
Politte
Marte
Shingo
Cotts
Jenks

I think this pitching would be no doubt tops in all of baseball without any question and if we can maybe add one bat perhaps put us over the top for playoffs?

Unlikely. Arizona is not going to trade for a downgrade at SP and an erratic arm in the pen. The prospect would have to be pretty damn high, and if that's the case I'm not sure Vazquez is enough of an upgrade over Contreras to give up a bullpen arm and a high prospect. Consider the fact that he's coming to the AL from the NL and into a hitter's park.

This trade is extremely unlikely to be made.

chisoxfanatic
07-07-2005, 12:50 AM
From what I've heard, Ozzie wants to actually split the Cubans in the rotation, putting Garland between them. What you'd have is a rotation consisting of the following order:

Buehrle
Garcia
El Duque
Garland
Contreras

I've heard from various reliable sources that such rotation might be put in effect as early as just after the All Star break. What this does is it lessens the burden on Contreras, because his spot CAN be skipped in a pinch. In addition, you can go down to a 4-man rotation in the playoffs and have Contreras pitching in long relief.

I don't wanna make moves just for the sake of making moves. I'd much rather a dominant force coming in if any moves were to be made, and Vazquez isn't a "dominant force" that will help us any more in winning the World Series.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 12:51 AM
That is the deepest and scariest bullpen I have ever seen. No teal needed.

Seven potential closers........ jesus.

ATXBMX
07-07-2005, 12:54 AM
Everyday Eddie is pitching with a messed up arm, and Jose Viscaino isn't a pitcher, nor does he play for us. Seeing how bad Vasquez pitched in the AL last year, I wouldn't give up much for him either. I think those scouts were looking at Tampa's relievers more than ours, like Baez, except he never got a chance to pitch.

ukigdog
07-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Well i tooke the time to put in the numbers of what our bullpen would look like if we traded for Guardado, look at these numbers, they are just sick and i agree with the post that it is the scariest i have ever seen (no teal):

2005 White Sox Possible Bullpen
Player IP ERA WHIP SV HLD

CL - Dustin Hermanson 33.1 1.35 1.11 21 5
LSU - Eddie Guardado 29.0 1.55 0.83 20 0
RSU - Cliff Politte 33.0 1.09 0.73 0 9
LSU - Damaso Marte 25.2 2.81 1.64 2 10
LLR - Neil Cotts 33.0 1.91 0.97 0 6
RLR - Shingo Takatsu 27.1 4.94 1.50 8 3
RLR - Bobby Jenks 1.0 0.00 1.00 0 0

frankie_ventura
07-07-2005, 01:06 AM
I do not think those trades will happen. First, I do not think it is enough for the DBacks to give up Vazquez. They are only five games out of the division and I do not see why they would want Contreras over Vazquez. If the D-Backs lose more games, you took out Vizcaino and added Marte and have a high minor league prospect such as McCarthy then you might have something but I think it is too high.

Also Vazquez does not want to play for the White Sox. He said that to Williams in the winter meetings so if they trade for him it will be a rent a player as Vazquez will demand to be a free agent. So next year, Williams will be looking for at least one starting pitcher to replace Vazquez and a left hander to replace Marte.

For Guardado, he makes too much money and he is pitching with a torn rotator cuff so which means he could be injured at any time. Mariners will hold out for the highest bidder and I think it would be too much money and prospects to get him.

For the last week, I was picturing a trade with the Giants where the Sox will get Schmidt and Eyre and give up Borchard, Conteras, Marte, and McCarthy. That would give the Giants four potential major leaguers and the Sox would get a fourth dependable starter and a reliable lefty. But I think Schmidt is injured and the Giants need to win now with Bonds only having two or three years left. If they do not win now, they will go for it next year and need a number one which Schmidt can be if healthy.

I see the Sox getting another lefty for the bullpen (Eyre or Mercker) and a longman reliever in case Hernandez and Conteras struggle (Ryan Franklin or Brian Anderson). If they trade for a starter, I would like them to get Jason Jennings from Colorado. I think he will flourish outside Colorado and it might not take much to get him (some sort of package of Marte and McCarthy). He is also young so Williams will have a stable of starting pitchers that could flourish for years.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I think Guardado would all depend on how much it would cost to get him. With a bullpen like we have, I wouldn't mind letting him rest for the playoffs. If his arm is really messed up and will likely need to be operated on, I say stay away. If however it is something that can be healed with adequate rest, I say go for it. I believe he still is under contract for 2006, and even if KW wasn't planning on keeping his contract on the team he would be a heck of an offseason bargaining chip.

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2005, 11:25 AM
You do not need 5 starts in post season. You barely use a 4th. The 1-2-3 punch of Buehrle-Garcia-Garland and an occasional Hernandez is as good as they need to be. Vazquez does not add anything to that.

However, at present, the Sox have only 3 reliable arms in the bullpen. That is NOT enough for post-season play. Contreras will go to the bullpen, but for long relief only. You need a deep bullpen if you want to win in post-season, and unless some of the current Sox relievers start to come around, they don't have enough horses. There are any number of trade targets, including Guardado, Wagner, etc.

gr8mexico
07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
I think the Sox should get Eddie.Just to keep him away from other teams like Boston.I think the White Sox wouldn't mine raising payroll this year with all the great success they are having.The White Sox would have the best pitching staff in baseball.

mdep524
07-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Trade Jose Contreras, Jose Vizcaino, prospect to Arizona for Javier Vazquez. Well first we'd have to pry Jose Vizcaino and his .237 BA away from Houston. :wink:

Anyway, I agree Schmidt is risky, and I always liked Vazquez as well. But I can't see why Arizona would make this trade, and I really don't think it would improve our playoff chances all that much. Vazquez sucked in the playoffs last year, and possibly wouldn't even crack a 4-man playoff rotation of Buehrle-Garcia-Garland-Hernandez.

Though I prefer Billy Wagner, I like the Guardado idea...but I am really scared by his injured shoulder. I don't know whether to trust it down the stretch or not. But his numbers are undeniably great for the first half of '05.