PDA

View Full Version : How'd Jenks/Contreras look tonight?

jabrch
07-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I was traveling and didn't see the game - both of their lines looked good, but how'd they throw? If Jenks can throw strikes, and have a bit of movement, with is 100mph heater he would be a great addition to an already strong pen. And it would be great if Contreras can string more good games together.

Can anyone who saw the game give me some more 411?

TimoandAaron
07-06-2005, 11:01 PM
i was there and Jenks threw some HEAT. 97 and 98 MPH fastballs then he snuck a changeup in there and it was filthy. Needs better control though.

soltrain21
07-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Contreras looked good but he still hasn't gained my trust. He was using his fastball a lot today and was getting it over.....he still isn't QUITE there. Also didn't take his sweet time like usual, which is good.

Jenks looked amazing. He could be something VERY special. He was bringing it at 99 consistently.

Chips
07-06-2005, 11:02 PM
besides the two longballs and three walks and the balls, JC looked good. Jenks looked awesome.

jabrch
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks - Does Jenks have any movement at this point? It must be hard to get movement when you are that close to 100 mph...

kevingrt
07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Jenks looked solid, specially mixing in a 83 MPH curveball and a 68 MPH changeup along with the blazing fastball. From right-center field it didn't look like he was geting any tailing action with the fastball, but I would be assuming that is a four-seamer he throws. Still, no one came close to getting around on the fastball.

Scariest sight tonight was Shingo, but he got through the one out he needed.

chitownhawkfan
07-06-2005, 11:10 PM
I was at the game tonight and it seemed like after the third Jose started to trust his fastball a little bit more. But Jenks, holy sh** that fat body can throw! He came in throwing around 98 consistently and the best anybody could do is slice it foul. He looked amazing. i think I am getting a semi stiffy over this one.

:andy
You the man fatboy!

slavko
07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
His fastball seems to move more (rises) when it is thrown from the waist up. They were able to foul off most of the low ones.

johnnyg83
07-06-2005, 11:24 PM
His fastball seems to move more (rises) when it is thrown from the waist up. They were able to foul off most of the low ones.

That'd be a nice one-two -- offspeed Shingo and lights-out Jenks. It'd be like going from the 60 mph batting cage to the 95 mph cage.

DrCrawdad
07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
...But Jenks, holy sh** that fat body can throw! He came in throwing around 98 consistently and the best anybody could do is slice it foul. He looked amazing. i think I am getting a semi stiffy over this one.

:andy
You the man fatboy!

:rolling:

BRDSR
07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Just finished watching the game on replay and Jenks was awesome. He hit 99mph on the radar(who knows exactly how accurate that is, but still) and when he mixed in that overhand curveball it just about took my breath away. I couldn't believe Carl Crawford even got a bat on it, especially considering it was the first one he threw. I was totally amped up watching him pitch, I can't wait to see him again. Although his control wasn't great, he may have been what people like to call "effectively wild." He had people swinging at high pitches more than once, and they weren't even close to catching up to them.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Contreras pitched quicker tonight which is what he was doing earlier in the season when he was performing very well.

Lip

jabrch
07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks gang...That ESPN piece on Jenks a few years ago was great. I'd love to find a copy of that and see it again as a refresher. He has all the tools.

Can you imagine if he has a K-Rod type season as a setup guy?

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 11:56 PM
My god did Jenks look fantastic! I don't think he is ever going back to the minor leagues again. Yet another incredible under-the-radar pick up by KW! Too bad we couldn't get Andy Sisco too. Man, what a dominant lefty/righty combination that would be!

Mr. White Sox
07-06-2005, 11:56 PM
the only problem I see with Jenks is once hitters/scouts get accustomed to him, they will lay off the fastball in the early part of the count. Jenks threw a LOT of pitches out of the zone, and he'll need to work on his control if he wants to avoid farnsworth-like (when he was with the cubs) innings.

Clembasbal
07-07-2005, 12:01 AM
He did throw out of the zone a lot, but I thought that his fastball had decent movement...nothing like a Burlymon or MAddux, but for somebody throwing 98 MPH it was pretty darn good. No MAtt Anderson or anything of that nature.

If batters lay off of his pitchers he might let up to get it in the zone and then it could be tee-off time, but we will see.

I think he looked solid.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Without Damaso, we have arguably the best bullpen in the game right now. If Marte comes back healthy, I don't think there is any question about it.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 12:43 AM
I only caught the end of the game tonight, but I was wondering how Dye looked at first base? Did he have any trouble or did he look pretty good out there?

34rancher
07-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Kind of weird seeing Jenks wearing #45. I guess they reserve that jersey for the Big boys.

shoota
07-07-2005, 01:31 AM
I was traveling and didn't see the game - both of their lines looked good, but how'd they throw? If Jenks can throw strikes, and have a bit of movement, with is 100mph heater he would be a great addition to an already strong pen. And it would be great if Contreras can string more good games together.

Can anyone who saw the game give me some more 411?

Jenks followed a couple 99 MPH fastballs with a 96 MPH one, and Farmer joked that that was his change up. Farmer said Jenks's easy delivery could make his pitches seem over 100 MPH to the hitters.

I'm hoping his slight wildness was a result of being in the Show, and not because he can't control his pitches.

I am already on Jenks's bandwagon because it's real easy to like a reliever who throws near triple digits and backs it up with a great curveball. His body type reminds me very much of Bartolo Colon's. You'll never hear me rip on them for being overweight and out of shape, because apparantly their body types are what contain their power.

Falstaff
07-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Behold: Gossage II

those must have been aspirins he was winging in there!!:dtroll:

CleeFan101
07-07-2005, 01:55 AM
Jenks looked solid, specially mixing in a 83 MPH curveball and a 68 MPH changeup along with the blazing fastball. From right-center field it didn't look like he was geting any tailing action with the fastball, but I would be assuming that is a four-seamer he throws. Still, no one came close to getting around on the fastball.

Scariest sight tonight was Shingo, but he got through the one out he needed.

For 1 his curveball is more 85 mph but its probably his best pitch which is saying something considering the fastball he has and secondly he doesnt even have a changeup let alone a 68 mph one....Are you sure you were at the right game?

huntz
07-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Jenks followed a couple 99 MPH fastballs with a 96 MPH one, and Farmer joked that that was his change up. Farmer said Jenks's easy delivery could make his pitches seem over 100 MPH to the hitters.

I'm hoping his slight wildness was a result of being in the Show, and not because he can't control his pitches.

I am already on Jenks's bandwagon because it's real easy to like a reliever who throws near triple digits and backs it up with a great curveball. His body type reminds me very much of Bartolo Colon's. You'll never hear me rip on them for being overweight and out of shape, because apparantly their body types are what contain their power.

With the kind of heat this guys got i'd think he hasn't gotten this shot yet because of the control thing.

Mr. White Sox
07-07-2005, 02:14 AM
I only caught the end of the game tonight, but I was wondering how Dye looked at first base? Did he have any trouble or did he look pretty good out there?

Dye was surprisingly solid, especially considering this being his first ever major league start at 1st. He made a couple of good picks, and made a nice throw to Uribe on a Carl Crawford grounder. Overall, I was impressed, and Dye could serve as a serviceable backup when PK needs some time off.

Mohoney
07-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Jenks looked fantastic. Yes, he walked a batter, but that shoulder-high, 99 mph. cheese combined with that awesome curve can strike out a lot of batters at this level. After the walk, he regrouped very nicely, striking out 2, and that curve that he threw to Lugo was downright sick.

All in all, a great way to get your feet wet in the majors.

CYGarland20
07-07-2005, 03:13 AM
the only problem I see with Jenks is once hitters/scouts get accustomed to him, they will lay off the fastball in the early part of the count. Jenks threw a LOT of pitches out of the zone, and he'll need to work on his control if he wants to avoid farnsworth-like (when he was with the cubs) innings. It was his major league debut, so he might have been a bit nervous. I'd say we need to see him in a few more outings before making any assumptions. :cool:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-07-2005, 03:22 AM
He looked great last night. It was the first time in a few years that when Hawk said "GAS", he really meant it. I hate to come to conclusions so quickly, but after looking at his stats from AA this season and seeing his outing last night, it looks like Kenny has found yet another diamond in the rough! :smile:

dougs78
07-07-2005, 07:00 AM
I was also at the game. I concur with most of the assessments here. Jenks was certainly a little wild, but hopefully it was nerves and not typical fare. He certainly did bring the heat, which served to neutralize the hitters. In fact, the final strikeout was on a pitch that bounced about a foot in front of the plate. The hitters were so keyed on the heat that they had trouble judging location of the other pitches.

I love the look of Jenks, but I could honestly see this being his only appearance with the Sox. He surely will get sent down when Duque or Marte return. After that, this outing serves as a perfect showcase for including him as a big part of a potential trade. Either way, I'm glad we have him.

duke of dorwood
07-07-2005, 07:54 AM
I went to the Fan Deck when Jenks came in-he threw one off speed pitch that dove like a Garcia pitch-the 97 & 98 were moving occasionally-but most were straight-but rising too. Called him KID THICK

Clarkdog
07-07-2005, 08:52 AM
It was his major league debut, so he might have been a bit nervous. I'd say we need to see him in a few more outings before making any assumptions. :cool:

I'd agree. I think Jenks was a bit amped up last night - once he settles in I think he'll find the strike zone.

But he was bringing it last night. I have never seen throwing 99 consistently look so effortless. And that curve he threw to get the last batter looked like a Whiffle breaking pitch straight down - it was that sharp.

mjharrison72
07-07-2005, 10:18 AM
It was his major league debut, so he might have been a bit nervous. I'd say we need to see him in a few more outings before making any assumptions. :cool:

I'm sure the nerves were there... after he walked a batter on five pitches, AJ went out to the mound to calm him down. He was much better after that visit. Not much movement on the fastball that I could see, but who neds it when it's nearly triple-digits? I hope we get to see more of this kid.

Ol' No. 2
07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
the only problem I see with Jenks is once hitters/scouts get accustomed to him, they will lay off the fastball in the early part of the count. Jenks threw a LOT of pitches out of the zone, and he'll need to work on his control if he wants to avoid farnsworth-like (when he was with the cubs) innings.That would be my concern, too. Even if you do throw 100 mph, most major-league hitters can hit it if it doesn't have movement. He's supposed to have a plus curveball, but I didn't see him throw it last night.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
I was watching Jenks on the telly last night and it seemed like every pitch was clocked at 99mph. However that breaking ball he threw to Crawford looked wicked.

My GF's dad was won over by Jenks last night. I like this kid.

PBRWarrior
07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Jenks looks promissing. I also think some of the early pitches were called balls but they looked like strikes to me. He was nibbling. Before we declair this guy a diamond in the rough, lets remember two things:

1. It was the D-Rays he they were playing
2. It was a garbage inning with game pressure

If Ozzie can keep the kid off the booze and keep him at his fighting weight, he could be a guy that we could rely on.

Sonik22
07-07-2005, 12:11 PM
That breaking ball was nasty and it was quick. And some of those balls he had called were questionable. Lets hope we see him pitch again soon.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:34 PM
That would be my concern, too. Even if you do throw 100 mph, most major-league hitters can hit it if it doesn't have movement. He's supposed to have a plus curveball, but I didn't see him throw it last night.

It was the last pitch of the game.

Movement is nice, and I'll take 94 with movement over 100 without. But that's only if the fastball is the out pitch.

Allegedly his curveball is the out pitch and when coupled with a 100 mph fastball, that's pretty dangerous - straight or not.

Let's see how he does in a few more games...but I like what I saw.

LVSoxFan
07-07-2005, 12:46 PM
As for Contreras, did anybody notice that once again, he was alternating between the full windup and the side windup?

He SUCKS from the side windup. I swear I thought when Ozzie went out there that's what he was telling him, LOL...

CallMeNuts
07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Contreras pitched quicker tonight which is what he was doing earlier in the season when he was performing very well.

Lip

Agree. Hawk said he was pleased with Jose's improvement in this area. He said he'd love to see how well Jose could pitch if he would just throw the pitch that AJP was calling. The biggest key to success for Jose is -- TRUST your catcher more than you trust yourself.
-------------------
re: Jenks. I think this kid has a chance to play a very nice role with the club. He certainly has the stuff. I too thought his fastball had a little natural rise when it was above the belt. And his control is bad enough to keep the hitter off balance and good enough to strike out more (far more) than he walks. I love the concept of having Jenks pitch the 6th, Shingo the 7th & 8th and Hermanson the 9th. Gotta keep giving Jenks more chances. I think he's much more of a keeper than Walker, even if it means carrying only one lefty in the pen.