PDA

View Full Version : Sox throwing bats

Sly
07-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure if there's been a topic on this before, but has anyone noticed how many Sox players throw their bats when they pop out?

A.J. did it tonight. I remember that Crede did it on the first trip to Oakland and I remember Carl doing it a couple of times. Always ticks me off when I see it, cause it seems so crybaby.

I love this team so much, but that stuff irks me a bit.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Chips
07-06-2005, 11:50 PM
No, they do it because they know they could have done better and they feel like they let the team down.

The bat is thrown to let out the frustration not to be a baby.

Sly
07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
I understand the frustration but it sets a bad example for the kids out there who are watching them ...

MIgrenade
07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
According to ESPN the bat throwing is actually an attempt to injure the catcher of the opposing team, but they are trying not to make it look totally obvious like Roger Clemens might. This action is frowned upon around the league and is the reason why all teams hate the White Sox.

NDSox12
I'm not sure if there's been a topic on this before, but has anyone noticed how many Sox players throw their bats when they pop out?

A.J. did it tonight. I remember that Crede did it on the first trip to Oakland and I remember Carl doing it a couple of times. Always ticks me off when I see it, cause it seems so crybaby.

It doesn't bother me at all.

I've noticed Konerko does it almost every time he hits a routine fly ball. I've seen him throw his bat down on a couple of balls that have carried to the warning track... hits that you-know-who would have done a home run hop on.

soltrain21
They are gamers. I expect to see that. It is a helluva lot better than Konerko's "bat to the shoulder and then sigh."

Setting a bad example for kids? No worse than catching with 1 hand or wearing your hat like a moron.

GregoryEtc
07-06-2005, 11:57 PM
I understand the frustration but it sets a bad example for the kids out there who are watching them ...

I've noticed it too and I'm with you... suck it up. We're above that kind of nonsense... And it shows up the pitcher. Why not just say, "you got me this time, next time I'm getting YOU!" and head back to the dugout with your chin up. We're 31 over, but we're not going to get a hit every single at bat.

SpammySosa
07-06-2005, 11:58 PM

I wouldn't let something so trivial cloud your vision.Sit back,relax and enjoy a White Sox Winner! :wink:

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Oh God. I never understood the backlash at throwing the bat. You SHOULD be upset when you pop up. Yeah there's the tip your cap and get them next time approach, but that was the approach of the three run home run White Sox.

If I had a kid, I'd be glad to see him or her throw the bat after a pop up as long as they didn't let it carry over to the next at bat.

Unless you think the Sox are letting that happen, what's the problem?

we'd be 82-0 if they'd just keep their guldarn tempers under control!!!!

This team needs LESS animation!

kevingrt
07-07-2005, 12:04 AM
It's not like they are throwing the bats at anyone. They aren't like the former Scrubbie first round pitch that made the on-deck batter blind by nailing him in the eye. That pitcher, Ben Christienson deserves being out of baseball now though. Karma.

Muopsies
07-07-2005, 12:06 AM
The best example of the throwing of the bats was agaianst the Dodgers on Turn Back the Clock night in AJ's last at bat. First he slammed it down on the foul pop that Choi probably should have caught. Then, seconds later, he flips it because he knew it was gone. That was classic.

batmanZoSo
07-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing more Paul O'Neill out of these guys. It's called passion, desire to win. I like what I've been seeing in that dept.

Chips
07-07-2005, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing more Paul O'Neill out of these guys. It's called passion, desire to win. I like what I've been seeing in that dept.

Their passion is one of the best parts of this ball club.

darklord23
07-07-2005, 12:40 AM

the only thing i see kids learn from the pros is to swing for the fences with the biggest uppercut. not throwing bats

Clembasbal
07-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Not that I pitched at a high level or anything, but I always remembered opponents who threw their bats, then got brushed back when they batted again. It shows the pitcher up.

But it shows kind of shows passion as well, so it is a catch-22 I suppose.

Alanzo XXXVIII
07-07-2005, 01:10 AM
I LOVE it when AJ throws his bat down because I appreciate the fact that he gets pissed off when he doesn't get a hit. Why would anyone not appreciate that?

StillMissOzzie
07-07-2005, 01:13 AM

I understand the passion, and that this is their profession, but sometimes I want to say GROW UP to some of them. Some of these theatrics would get kids tossed out of a game in our town's league.

SMO
:gulp:

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 01:26 AM

This statement is total garbage. If there is one thing that annoys me more than anything in this world it is people who look for an excuse to stop anything because it could possibly set a bad example to children (not their own of course, because they are wonderful parents who do such a wonderful job of policing the world for their children).

Killing and rape and all the other stuff you see on television sets a bad example. Reality TV sets the worst examples possible. Lots of things do this, but throwing down a baseball bat on TV? Oh yeah, children aren't supposed to witness emotion.

How about this? If your kid is outside playing baseball and not inside playing video games all day and watching crap on TV, be happy. There aren't many like it anymore.

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 01:36 AM
I understand the passion, and that this is their profession, but sometimes I want to say GROW UP to some of them. Some of these theatrics would get kids tossed out of a game in our town's league.

SMO
:gulp:

Athletes are NOT heroes. Children look up to them as much as adults do. Yeah, you can sit there and say they have to be role models, but then you have to apply the same thing to gangsta rappers and rock stars and even your own President. Do you want your kid growing up to be a famous cokehead? Or a powerful man asking for the definition of the word 'is' at an impeachment hearing?

It's one of those things that you are allowed to do when you are an adult, like swearing and having sex. As a kid, you can't because it's wrong (to the adults). Baseball to kids is nothing more than a learning experience, and as a coach you get on your players for gloating or throwing a bat just as much as you would for not running out a ground ball.

When Donald Duck leads off for the White Sox, it will be a different story. But until then, let's stop acting like little Timmy is going to replicate an athlete's behavior without knowing it's the wrong thing to do. Sometimes, adults are more naive then their children.

fquaye149
07-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Athletes are NOT heroes. Children look up to them as much as adults do. Yeah, you can sit there and say they have to be role models, but then you have to apply the same thing to gangsta rappers and rock stars and even your own President. Do you want your kid growing up to be a famous cokehead? Or a powerful man asking for the definition of the word 'is' at an impeachment hearing?

It's one of those things that you are allowed to do when you are an adult, like swearing and having sex. As a kid, you can't because it's wrong (to the adults). Baseball to kids is nothing more than a learning experience, and as a coach you get on your players for gloating or throwing a bat just as much as you would for not running out a ground ball.

When Donald Duck leads off for the White Sox, it will be a different story. But until then, let's stop acting like little Timmy is going to replicate an athlete's behavior without knowing it's the wrong thing to do. Sometimes, adults are more naive then their children.

I mean, when a kid gets tossed for throwing his or her bat, that's one thing. It's just a game and they should have perspective.

But I think any parent would make their child understand the difference between a professional athlete whose job it is not to pop out being upset at not doing his job and the child who is playing for fun.

That said, I would still not be upset at my child if he or she threw a bat. Losing is not the end of the world, but it is certainly not just as good as winning. Tip your hat and get them next time sounds to me suspiciously like "wait till next year"

chisoxfan64
07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
I agree, kids shouldn`t be learning to throw their bats down like that. They risk the chance of breaking them. Their parents are paying good money for those bats. Instead they should be taught to act like adults and go beat up a water cooler or knock a camera out of someone`s hand.

downstairs
07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Meh. As long as you're not throwing anywhere near/at someone.... go nuts.

kittle545feet
07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
:whiner: I understand the frustration but it sets a bad example for the kids out there who are watching them ...Here's an idea.......do your job as a parent and stop relying on others to influence them. Sure kids are influenced by pro athletes but when one of them does something you don't approve of, let your kid know the other side of the coin and that there is a different way to handle the situation. Stop trying to idiot proof the world for kids. Life's lessons are best learned through experience, not prevention. I love when they throw the bats because it shows me they are as upset as I am. You cannot teach passion. You either have or you don't.

Heffalump
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM
When I have difficulty completing a tax return (I'm a CPA), I often slam my calculator down on the floor.

My boss likes it as it shows I have passion for my job.

Go Sox !

Edited for Rookie mistake of not using teal

kittle545feet
07-07-2005, 03:10 PM
When I have difficulty completing a tax return (I'm a CPA), I often slam my calculator down on the floor.

My boss likes it as it shows I have passion for my job.

Go Sox !I think you were trying to be funny and needed to use teal. If not, way to understand the difference between working in an office and playing baseball.:?:

Ron Karkovice
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't mind when they slam the bats down, and I can't really see how it's showing up the pitcher. If i were the pitcher and got a batter to pop up and throw his bat down, i'd probably laugh.

One telecast after a weak pop up by A.J. he slammed his bat and you could also hear a clear f-bomb from his mouth. That's where I can see it being bad for the kids, but it was another hilarious thing for me!

ND_Sox_Fan
07-07-2005, 03:54 PM

I think people who feel this way are those who have never played the game and had the experience. If they did play, it was not at a level where winning and success was stressed. I have had this experience with parents of players who I have played with and coached.

No, it doesn't show up the pitcher either. The hitter could be frustrated because the pitcher hung one and he missed it - the hitter's fault or he swung at a bad pitch - again, hitter's fault. The bat slam comes as a result of the hitter feeling like he could have done more with a pitch or not have swung at all.

I loved the Paul O'Neill reference earlier - the guy went to the plate thinking he was going to have a productive at bat every time. When it didn't happen, he was upset. That is a winning attitude, something we have been missing until this season. I love to see it.

iwcup
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM
and while were at it, make them stop high fiving and having fun after great plays, home runs and wins.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
The best example of the throwing of the bats was agaianst the Dodgers on Turn Back the Clock night in AJ's last at bat. First he slammed it down on the foul pop that Choi probably should have caught. Then, seconds later, he flips it because he knew it was gone. That was classic.

That sequence of events was one of the best of the year, IMO. The bat slam, total disgust, total let the team down feeling. Next swing, game over. What a roller coaster. Went from starting another inning to winning the game because of one dropped foul ball. Then you had hawks out of breath homer call.

RedPinStripes
07-07-2005, 04:39 PM
This is the best we can come up with on off days?
:threadsucks

Skippy
07-07-2005, 04:49 PM

You are correct, sir!

I almost put a hole in my ceiling from jumping up so high when he hit that homer.

No matter how bad life has been going for me, I can count on the Sox to lift my spirits.

THANK YOU!!!!!

nordhagen
07-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey, it's pro sports and it's a long season so guys are going to slam and toss a few bats now and then. Just so long as no one does a LaRussa and flings a bat up the backstop like he did in the first season in the new park.

I hope to see less bat tossing and bat slamming because it means guys are hitting better. It certainly didn't help Steve Sax any when he was here. He slammed more bats, helmets, equipment than anyone probably in franchise history since he turned into a worthless, washed-up piece of garbage when he got here.

chidonez
07-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't care what they do as long as it increases their chance of another hit and it's legal.

Sly
07-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Perhaps I should rectify - I can see why AJ threw his bat against the Dodgers or when Crede threw his bat when he should have been on-base (The infamous HBP incident.)

However, when the Sox are leading the Rays 8-2, there's no room for it.

RedPinStripes
07-08-2005, 06:39 AM
I cannot believe this thread stayed alive. Thank god there's a game today.

kittle545feet
07-08-2005, 10:49 AM
:cuss: I cannot believe this thread stayed alive. Thank god there's a game today.There is always room for passion.