PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand

shoota
07-06-2005, 11:40 PM
I always had great dislike of the Cubs teams, fans and everything they represent. Therefore, I've proudly worn anti-Cubs T-shirts along with one of my many White Sox hats. Some older Sox fans have told me that I should simply be a White Sox fan and pay no attention to the Cubs. They have told me not to worry how they are doing in the standings, and that a Cubs loss should not help lessen a White Sox loss in my mind. I always disagreed with those guys. Now I understand them.

This past month, I've been walking around proudly in my Sox T-shirts, jerseys and hats. I haven't worn anti-Cubs T-shirts. One day I was wearing a Cubs Suck shirt and a Sox hat, and before I went out, decided to change to a different shirt and just leave my Sox hat on. I realize that being a fan of the White Sox is good enough. There's no reason to even acknowledge Chicago's inferior team.

The way the Sox have been playing this year has given me a reason not to worry about the Cubs. I am proud of my team on its own, no matter how bad or good the Cubs are. This year, we are the talk of the town. We are the ones Cubs fans are jealous of. The White Sox logo stands on its own. I am a White Sox fan.

MIgrenade
07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Boy, I'm really happy you've had a life changing event.

I guess I shouldn't be sarcastic. There are a lot of people here who don't get that concept.

TornLabrum
07-06-2005, 11:48 PM
I always had great dislike of the Cubs teams, fans and everything they represent. Therefore, I've proudly worn anti-Cubs T-shirts along with one of my many White Sox hats. Some older Sox fans have told me that I should simply be a White Sox fan and pay no attention to the Cubs. They have told me not to worry how they are doing in the standings, and that a Cubs loss should not help lessen a White Sox loss in my mind. I always disagreed with those guys. Now I understand them.

This past month, I've been walking around proudly in my Sox T-shirts, jerseys and hats. I haven't worn anti-Cubs T-shirts. One day I was wearing a Cubs Suck shirt and a Sox hat, and before I went out, decided to change to a different shirt and just leave my Sox hat on. I realize that being a fan of the White Sox is good enough. There's no reason to even acknowledge Chicago's inferior team.

The way the Sox have been playing this year has given me a reason not to worry about the Cubs. I am proud of my team on its own, no matter how bad or good the Cubs are. This year, we are the talk of the town. We are the ones Cubs fans are jealous of. The White Sox logo stands on its own. I am a White Sox fan.

:hawk

"I luuuuuuuv epiphanies."

Huisj
07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Did the epiphany also include a reformation of homerun counting philosophy?

:hurt
"I hit the same shot to left field two nights in a row. Don't they both count as homers?"

hsnterprize
07-07-2005, 02:08 AM

When you've been a long-time fan of the best team in baseball, there's nothing to be concerned about. Cub fans either are caving in to the pressure, madder than hell that their own team is falling apart, or acting like the Sox don't exist even though everyone else acknowledges their success. Let's face it...the only thing Cub fans can hope for is a complete choke of the season...and I don't think Kenny Williams, Ozzie Guillen, and the rest of the White Sox organization is going to let that happen.

Sox Pride is real, folks. If Chicago is a "Cubs town", it's about time for a hostile takeover...wouldn't you agree?

The Dude
07-07-2005, 02:11 AM

Now we just need you to wear that #24 Joe Crede jersey that you bought!

shoota
07-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Now we just need you to wear that #24 Joe Crede jersey that you bought!

haha, I'm actually drawn to people I see wearing a Crede jersey at Comiskey. I'm not insulting, just curious as to why anyone would shell out that much money for a Crede jersey. I ask why they would buy that jersey over any other Sox player. The most common response I get is that they regret buying it. The only reason they still wear it is because for some it's the only jersey they own. One guy said he even wished he had bought an Ordonez jersey instead. Poor guy.

StockdaleForVeep
07-07-2005, 02:26 AM

AMEN! I dont get why people get so riled on what happened on the north side, esp with the last interleague series at comiskey.....why care about a team that would only be ahead of the royals in our division.

Soxaholic
07-07-2005, 02:36 AM
why care about a team that would only be ahead of the royals in our division.

Cause I have to see their picture on the front page when I open the Tribune sports section with their unbiased reporting.

StockdaleForVeep
07-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Cause I have to see their picture on the front page when I open the Tribune sports section with their unbiased reporting.

Then dont read the tribune, read the suntimes or daily southtown or read USA today. All they got here is the st louis dispatch and i get cardinal garbage, so i read the times online, granted its full or moronetti garbage but its better than whats avail here

Soxaholic
07-07-2005, 02:42 AM
I get both the Sun Times and the Trib, but outside of the beat reporters, there is few good Sox articles.

TornLabrum
07-07-2005, 07:57 AM

Here's a hint: Cancel your subscription.

Palehose13
07-07-2005, 11:23 AM

That's nice to read. I despise "cubs suck" shirt or anything of the sort (especially the new one with the cub fan kneeling...) I'm a SOX fan, not an anti-cub fan. I'm not shelling out money for anything that has something resembling a cub logo. Why give them advertisement? Do I hate them, of course...but I don't need to advertise it.

BTW...I feel the same way about wearing anti-packer gear up here in cheeseland.

Sxy Mofo
07-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm one of those, "it's nice to see the cubs lose" guys. I don't take it to that next level like many people do though.

Cellview22
07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
I saw about 3 "Sox Suck" t-shirts last time I was downtown. I was downtown on the 4th, and I've never seen so many Cubs shirts in my life. I took the Metra down, and of course it was filled with Cub fans going to the game, and afterwards it was packed with even more Cub fans going home. They all looked upbeat and cheerful, so I just assumed they had won. Anyway, I saw 3 "Sux" shirts with "Sox Suck" on the back. They all looked at my Sox hat and just laughed. It actually infuriated me and made me rethink ever wearing a Cubs Suck shirt or [anyone] Suck t-shirt. It's bound to disrespect someone, even though we couldn't care less about Cub fans. At the time I was thinking, I wouldn't feel any remorse if I clocked one of those arrogant frat boys.

They were all so annoying, I was wishing for some sealed headphones so I couldn't hear them. There was a bunch of em in front of us walking towards Millennium Park; we passed a lady on the sidewalk selling food and the Cub fans yelled "we're gettin our food at Wrigley, Go Cubs"... and the lady said "Oh have a great time, Go Cubbies". It was like a playoff atmosphere dowtown just because there was a Cubs day game.... and likely to lose again. I was embarrassed to be a Chicagoan, but then I reminded myself, things will change in October. All those idiots will go into hibernation while Sox fans everywhere will be celebrating!!

kevingrt
07-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm one of those, "it's nice to see the cubs lose" guys. I don't take it to that next level like many people do though.

I'm probably in the same boat as you. I won't go around looking to see how the Scrubbies have done but if they lose it's like OK, and if they win it's ok. The only time I get riled up for them to lose is when they are in the playoffs. Because if those losers win or get to a World Series before us I might die, having to listen to their fans cheer 24/7

I'm ssang, and I'm still an IDIOT!
07-07-2005, 11:45 AM

I totally respect what you're saying. Me, personally.....I HATE THE DAMN CUBS AND ALL THEIR FANS! And I will always wear anti-Cubs stuff (in fact I have a choke shirt on right now!). And I love hating the Cubs. Damn proud of it too. Plus I still love the Sox.

maurice
07-07-2005, 12:52 PM
They all looked at my Sox hat and just laughed.

. . . inviting an easy comeback about the standings, such as "best record in baseball, chumps."

Or my favorite innocent dig: "cub fan, eh? How's that working out for you?"

There's not much reason to get mad when your team is the best in either league, while the cubs are below .500 and in third place in the worst division in baseball.