PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should go after Ted Lilly!!!

twinsuck1
07-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Maybe we should go after Ted Lilly! He just shutout Oakland 8-0, could have used him last weekend.......... Seriously though maybe we could get this guy and not give up much? I think he would fit in pretty well.

MIgrenade
07-06-2005, 10:52 PM
maybe...

I would rather have a good Contreras than Lilly. Since I doubt anyone else will go after him I think the Sox have a chance to find out whether JC will be the guy we saw tonight or the crap fest of the last few starts.

Sonik22
07-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Ted lilly wouldn't be a bad idea because it gives us another lefty in the rotation. This guy was an all-star last year and had a slow start to this year. We would probably have to give up ccarthy though.

Banix12
07-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I think Kenny wants to see if he can get anything out of El Duque before making a trade, though I have no problem with acquiring Lilly. Maybe the thought of getting out of Toronto is having an effect on him. Though suprisingly Toronto is above .500 and looking pretty decent.

twinsuck1
07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
He seen highlights of his game tonight and his curveball was WICKED!!! Looked like Zitos used too. He had guys swinging ugly at the plate! I think he would fit in this rotation nicely. Plus I don't know of too many other pitchers that are going to be available before the deadline because most of the teams think they still have a shot at the playoffs. If we are going to do something though i think we should do it soon before we have to get Into a bidding war.

beckett21
07-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Maybe we should go after Ted Lilly! He just shutout Oakland 8-0, could have used him last weekend.......... Seriously though maybe we could get this guy and not give up much? I think he would fit in pretty well.

Funny how people's opinions change after one good start....:rolleyes:

For the record I have been in support of this move even when his ERA was over 6! SHOCKING!! :o:

Just goes to show how meaningless stats can be sometimes. The guy was an All-Star last year. Rarely does a pitcher with so much talent just lose it overnight, barring injury of course. Same goes for Schmidt.

frankie_ventura
07-07-2005, 01:10 AM
I do not think the Toronto GM will trade Lilly. They are not that far out and they have a young core that could contend for next year (Adams, Wells, Hudson, etc). Lilly is young and has potential, I think the Toronto GM will keep him.

I would not mind a trade for Jason Jennings from Colorado. The Rockies are going nowhere for a while and Jennings could be solid once Coors Field is out of his system

Irishsox1
07-07-2005, 01:48 AM
Any starter would be better than Conteras. That guy sucks!

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Any starter would be better than Conteras. That guy sucks!
If WSI gave a "dumb quote of the day" award, you would run away with it today. Congratulations.

balke
07-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Funny how people's opinions change after one good start....:rolleyes:

For the record I have been in support of this move even when his ERA was over 6! SHOCKING!! :o:

Just goes to show how meaningless stats can be sometimes. The guy was an All-Star last year. Rarely does a pitcher with so much talent just lose it overnight, barring injury of course. Same goes for Schmidt.

Hey, I was a supporter too!

Mr. White Sox
07-07-2005, 03:21 AM
Lilly's a possibility, but Ricciardi will want the farm...he's still one of the "cheaper" options available, along with Jason Jennings (am I right? or is it a different guy from COL?).

I think that KW will only make a trade for pitching if he deems it necessary; if Contreras can be more consistant and El Duque proves he can be injury free, hopefully KW will stay put. If not, expect a trade for SP...I don't see him trading for RP, as I think that the bullpen is deeper than most think, and Duque could always move to the bullpen if a trade for SP is made.

Chisox003
07-07-2005, 03:27 AM
OK, how mant threads are there on this?

The Blue Jays already said they arent trading Lilly, because they are adding a TON of payroll and they feel Lilly will be a big part of their rotation...

Next
:threadblows:

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 04:10 AM
If WSI gave a "dumb quote of the day" award, you would run away with it today. Congratulations.

I second that! :kneeslap:

Banix12
07-07-2005, 05:45 AM
The Blue Jays already said they arent trading Lilly, because they are adding a TON of payroll and they feel Lilly will be a big part of their rotation...

Yeah, people forget that with their stadium naming rights deal the Blue Jays for once have no need to cut payroll. I think they would trade Lilly if they right deal crossed their path, he is by no means untouchable as are most players with a high ERA. However in this current market for pitching his price should skyrocket and they would want a pitcher who could take his spot in the rotation next season. It would be very much like the Jeff Suppan deal a few years ago where and average pitcher became the focus of every GM's desire since he was all that was available.

They also strangely aren't that far out of the wild card if they wanted to make a run, however unlikely their victory could be. They might want to keep what they have and try to resign lilly after the season.