PDA

View Full Version : Fundamentals as a Back Drop

DaveIsHere
07-06-2005, 09:53 PM
The Fundamentals area makes one hell of a Backdrop for Frank's Blasts out to Left Field lately!!! What do you think? That section out there has gotten a great dose of the BIG HURT so far this season.

oh and it is a nice area for the kids too.:D:

lostletters
07-06-2005, 09:54 PM
That section does give the park more character. I like it alot. Plus it is good for the kids.

Chips
07-06-2005, 09:58 PM
The Fundamentals Deck is a much better backdrop than before. Kudos to the Sox for greatly improving the park.

C-Dawg
07-06-2005, 11:50 PM
It really looks great on TV; I think it is the camera angle that shows the runner on First. A great looking background! :cool:

GregoryEtc
07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
The Fundamentals area makes one hell of a Backdrop for Frank's Blasts out to Left Field lately!!! What do you think?

I think for a second there, it looked like the FundArea might serve as a LANDING STRIP for that monster blast. Is it me or does it seem like Frank wants to hit it? Mercy, that was a bomb!!

Sonik22
07-06-2005, 11:58 PM
I looooove the cell

Lip Man 1
07-07-2005, 12:47 AM
I can't wait for the first player to hit one INTO the fundementals area.

Lip

A.T. Money
07-07-2005, 12:49 AM

Lip

It's A LOT farther than it looks from the TV. Next time you're in Chicago, you'll see.

Remember, it's only over-hanging the last couple rows and it's about 70 feet above the concourse.

hsnterprize
07-07-2005, 01:56 AM
It's been said in a round-about way before, but wait until Frank hits a monster shot into Fundamentals...that'll really be a highlight.

Also...when someone clears a ball into the center field fan deck, that'll be the talk of the town.

The Dude
07-07-2005, 02:08 AM
This has just got to take us back to the threads bashing the idea for a "playpen" in left field. Lots of us were pretty pissed about the idea, and I admit that I was skeptical about the idea at first but think that overall...it is great for the kids, looks pretty nice, and also eliminates the cookie cutter look of the outfield concourse that is always bashed by ballpark critics. Too bad Pontiac is the sponsor though.:D:

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 02:22 AM
It's A LOT farther than it looks from the TV. Next time you're in Chicago, you'll see.

Remember, it's only over-hanging the last couple rows and it's about 70 feet above the concourse.
It is very far away, but if anyonee could do it, Frank could.
I think he has a good chance considering the moonshots he has been hitting these past few days. Tonight he hit that homer seemingly 500 feet into the air, and it landed about 3/4 of the way up the concourse. If he hit it about 20 feet farther, it might have gone. It would have to be a perfect pitch and a perfect swing, but I think Frank could do it.

StockdaleForVeep
07-07-2005, 02:24 AM
I love the deck because it gives you a whole range of the field and your facing it too. Thats the only problem being in the 500 level in the corner, so far and bad angles, fundamentals gives you a 500 level height facing home plate, what i thought would be a bad concept i will not retract, good job reinsy and co. on buildin this.

TornLabrum
07-07-2005, 07:59 AM
This has just got to take us back to the threads bashing the idea for a "playpen" in left field. Lots of us were pretty pissed about the idea, and I admit that I was skeptical about the idea at first but think that overall...it is great for the kids, looks pretty nice, and also eliminates the cookie cutter look of the outfield concourse that is always bashed by ballpark critics. Too bad Pontiac is the sponsor though.:D:

They originally tried to get Oldsmobile, but they ran into one slight problem. :D:

CleeFan101
07-07-2005, 08:09 AM
adam dunn and willy mo pena could do it, they are both on the trading block lets bring them in and get it done :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

TornLabrum
07-07-2005, 08:19 AM
adam dunn and willy mo pena could do it, they are both on the trading block lets bring them in and get it done :dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

:tealtutor:

HAR-OLD
07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
they should just rename it borchard's orchard,
i think we all know he is the only man alive who could do it

Hitmen77
07-07-2005, 09:14 AM

I'm seeing spots in my vision now.

:tealpolice:
"The teal police they are inside of my head...."

MRKARNO
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
adam dunn and willy mo pena could do it

Adam Dunn can hit the ball very far, but to right field. He's a left-handed pull hitter.

hawkjt
07-07-2005, 12:56 PM
I was also a skeptic but now a convert. It looks very cool and intimate and I like the view standing at the rail up there. What is neat is all the new vantage points (fan deck,fundamentals,bullpen bar,picnic tables) that have been built to add variety to the experience. I see people standing at the rails up on fundamentals the whole game. All good.

TheOldRoman
07-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I think the FUNdamentals looks great. The only thing that could make the park better would be to put something in rightfield. Everyone on here has talked about a homerun porch, so maybe that is a possibility.

My wish for whatever they put in right is that they build large arched windows behind it, to pay tribute to the old park. I am too young to remember the old park, but from the pictures I have seen, it was a beautiful view looking at the outfield and seeing the big arched windows with trees behind them.
http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/arch11.jpg

LVSoxFan
07-07-2005, 01:23 PM
It's gonna take a lot to get a ball up onto that thing. Maybe if the wind is really blowing out that day.

I was at the Cubs series when Frank hit that shot over in the same spot--longest homer I've ever seen live at the Cell. We keep joking that he's gonna hit the beer stand under the Fundmentals area.

Coincidence alert: the man at that beer stand under Fundmentals is named... Frank.

nitetrain8601
07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe if Frank starts hitting with the Aluminum Bat again, he'll get it up there, but hasn't that been banned?

Tekijawa
07-07-2005, 01:44 PM

Lip

I wonder if Lasalle Bank would charge them $50 for a home Run into Fundamentals instead of GIVING $50 for when a HR is hit out of that park?

Brian26
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM

Lip

I just don't ever see that happening. It would have to be a mammoth blast. I was on the deck a couple of weeks ago during one of the KC games. To reach the "playing field" portion (which overhangs the bleachers slightly), a ball would probably have to travel a minimum of 450'. I think a few guys have hit balls onto the concourse on a fly, but you're also talking about having to be 30' in the air above the concourse. It would be a hell of a shot.

MUScholar21
07-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Some of you may have forgotten, but back when in left field they had the ComEd sign (which then became the Exelon sign, then was removed for the Fundamentals area) there was a nice-sized dent in it on the lower left hand side. That was from a Frank home run, that (until Joe Borchard's one claim to fame last year) was the longest home run in the new park. If he hit one like that again-which, while unlikely, seems possible with his mammoth shots against the D-Rays-he could flirt with hitting the Fundamentals area.

By the way, as long as we are on the subject, does anyone else feel like they should have lights on the Fundamentals area or something? While sitting at the game on Monday (for a VERY long time, thanks to a combination of many runs, a lot of rain, and Hideo Nomo) it seemed so anti climactic to have it up there with nothing going on. Even if they just lit the 'Fundamentals' or something.

mjharrison72
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM

I bet Joe Borchard could hit it.

EDIT: I see other people share my sentiments about Joe...

Skippy
07-07-2005, 02:59 PM
The Fundamentals area makes one hell of a Backdrop for Frank's Blasts out to Left Field lately!!! What do you think? That section out there has gotten a great dose of the BIG HURT so far this season.

oh and it is a nice area for the kids too.:D:

IT looks good. I've never tried to go in there, though.

Can we check it out too? Or is it exclusively for children?

At least I still got the Bullpen Bar.

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
IT looks good. I've never tried to go in there, though.

Can we check it out too? Or is it exclusively for children?

At least I still got the Bullpen Bar.

Anyone sitting in any area of the park can check it out. You just cant bring your beer.

I think lighting it up a little would be cool. I say lights attached to the brick columns that point directly at the break and kind of give it that soft glow.

Go Go Everetts
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
The best part about the new Fundamentals area is seeing the little kids get owned by the S-Pod cardboard cutout. Also it is great for sneaking down to the lower concourse.

brewcrew/chisox
07-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I've said this before. I like the deck, but the only problem that I have with it is that you can't see the scoreboard if you are sitting along the 3rd base line. It just makes it a little harder when you are keeping score and want to check on your marks to make sure you didn't screw up.

That being said, I'd love to see a Frank HR up there.

GregoryEtc
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Can anyone tell me... do the pinwheels on the 'Mentals Area light up during homeruns?

Pulaski
07-07-2005, 06:10 PM
That section does give the park more character. I like it alot. Plus it is good for the kids.

It was an excellent idea to build the Fundamentals Area. The Sox will start growing their fan base because kids (at a young age) will want to go to Sox games to go to Fundamental area.

skobabe8
07-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Can anyone tell me... do the pinwheels on the 'Mentals Area light up during homeruns?

No they do not. I've made sure to check.

GregoryEtc
07-07-2005, 09:20 PM
No they do not. I've made sure to check.

BOOOO!

SpammySosa
07-07-2005, 09:38 PM

I believe the only time they do is if a kid hits a "homerun" during that contest they have in between innings.

mccombe_35
07-07-2005, 10:07 PM
hitting one onto the Fundamentals deck would take special conditions & a mamoth, towering HR.

Not sure if Frank has it in him any more (I'd like to think he does - cnnsi had his HR at Oak. at 460 ft - I think getting one to the F Deck would take more than that.)

a few in their prime that could do it - McGwire, Canseco, Bo, Fielder, Frank.

Someone brought up the Frank HR at the Cell that was the longest before Borchard's shot - Not sure where the dent on the billboard came from because Frank's 493 ft (i think) barley cleared the seats in LC. Still a mamoth blast, but not a billboard shot.

a couple other long bombs at the Cell I remember -
Pasqua's 484 ft bomb over the seats in RF in the Park's early years.
Chavez also landed one on the concourse in RF a few years ago.
Aubry Huff hit the farthest BP HR I've seen there. sititng above the Bullpen Bar as it went over my head & landed on the concouse.
I was at the game when Bonds hit the 470 ft one just right of the CF backdrop.
I also was at the Derby at the Cell - Bonds game HR was farther than any derby shot. (no matter how far they say a Pujols HR was)

& I hate to say it, but I think Sammy has come the closest to hitting the Fan Deck in CF. MOst of you probably remember it. It made it onto that 1st tier, but not the actual top deck.