PDA

View Full Version : I love my media guide.

veeter
07-06-2005, 09:12 PM
I buy it on the first game I attend every year. Then I just start reading and flipping. The info is unbelievable. I think reading and absorbing a media guide can make a fan an expert on his/her favorite team. My favorite part is actually the minor league player stats and info.

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Is it true that this tells which hotels the Sox stay on the road?

How much is it?

soxjim
07-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Is it true that this tells which hotels the Sox stay on the road?

How much is it?

The 2004 media guide does tell what hotels they stay at. Im sure the 2005 does also. I think the price is about $10.

wildcat
07-06-2005, 09:59 PM
My favorite part is actually the minor league player stats and info.

My favorite part is the personal info about the players-- whether they're married, how many kids they have, their charitable work. I love stats, but I can get those online. The bio stuff makes them seem more like real people.

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2005, 10:31 PM
My favorite part is the personal info about the players-- whether they're married, how many kids they have, their charitable work. I love stats, but I can get those online. The bio stuff makes them seem more like real people.

Does it say where they live during the season (and if they stay here during the offseason)? It would be kinda cool to know.

I know that Konerko lives right here in Bridgeport (heard from a reliable source that he's near the 3800 block of South Emerald, and that Pierzynski lives in Lincoln Park. IIRC, Frank still lives in Oak Brook. But, I'd like to know where more of the players live.

mike squires
07-06-2005, 11:11 PM
It just has where they reside. I love the Media guide also. I buy one every other year or so though so I don't get a lot of repeat information.

One thing that I hate and I've mentioned it on here more than once is that there is no picture of Gene Honda OR Nancy Faust. Give them teir due. I think an e-mail to Brooks is due!:D:

whitesoxwilkes
07-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Does it say where they live during the season (and if they stay here during the offseason)? It would be kinda cool to know.

I know that Konerko lives right here in Bridgeport (heard from a reliable source that he's near the 3800 block of South Emerald, and that Pierzynski lives in Lincoln Park. IIRC, Frank still lives in Oak Brook. But, I'd like to know where more of the players live.

Frank sold his palatial digs in Oak Brook a while ago and lives in a nice townhouse on the Gold Coast now.

Garland and Ozzie both live near yours truly in the West Loop. Garland is a regular at my "old" Starbucks, while Ozzie is a regular at the Dominick's at Madison and Halsted.

DaleJRFan
07-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Frank sold his palatial digs in Oak Brook a while ago and lives in a nice townhouse on the Gold Coast now.

Garland and Ozzie both live near yours truly in the West Loop. Garland is a regular at my "old" Starbucks, while Ozzie is a regular at the Dominick's at Madison and Halsted.

A friend of the family lives across the street from Frank's house and the last time I talked to her, it was still for sale.

Lip Man 1
07-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Veeter:

I have every Sox media guide from 1966 through 2005. (From 1971 on I got them either at the park or paid for them by mail...the ones from 1966 through 1970 I got on ebay)

It's amazing how the guides have changed from 25 or so pages to over 300.

Lip

veeter
07-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Veeter:

I have every Sox media guide from 1966 through 2005. (From 1971 on I got them either at the park or paid for them by mail...the ones from 1966 through 1970 I got on ebay)

Lip Wow. That's a great collection. I love looking back at the old players.

Realist
07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I swear I can't read the name of this thread without picturing some huge sherpa wearing a monster sized back pack and carrying a can of gasoline with a dirty rag sticking out the top of it in one hand and a map to the Moron's house in the other.

veeter
07-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I swear I can't read the name of this thread without picturing some huge sherpa wearing a monster sized back pack and carrying a can of gasoline with a dirty rag sticking out the top of it in one hand and a map to the Moron's house in the other. Huh?

tacosalbarojas
07-08-2005, 02:10 PM
The 2004 media guide does tell what hotels they stay at. Im sure the 2005 does also. I think the price is about $10.It's also available at the park. It is sold by the vendors who sell the gameday programs and scorecards.

MikeLove
07-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I swear I can't read the name of this thread without picturing some huge sherpa wearing a monster sized back pack and carrying a can of gasoline with a dirty rag sticking out the top of it in one hand and a map to the Moron's house in the other.

ive read this like 3 times and it doesnt make any sense, im hungover too and its giving me a headache :rolleyes:

wilburaga
07-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Veeter:

Lip

I'm continuous with the Media Guides from 1959 and you're right, it is amazing to see the evolution of the publication over the years.

The Sox Media Relations department deserves a lot of credit for the professionalism of the Guide. Every year I sent them in any corrections/inaccuracies that I've found and they are quite gracious and diligent about making the corrections. (Such as leaving Mark 'Moonlight' Dalesandro off the all time roster in 2002 after his half inning of defense in August, 2001)

Probably the biggest gaffe was Arnie Munoz' disappearance from the 2004 Guide. Apparently, that caused quite a stir when he was recalled for his disastrous start and media types couldn't find any info on him.

This year's Guide has at least one faux pas. The minor league stats for Layne Berry (Ken's son) are those of some pitcher, and Layne is an infielder. When I notified the Guidekeepers about this they told me they were well aware of this - The Bandit himself had called it to their attention.

W

tacosalbarojas
07-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm continuous with the Media Guides from 1959 and you're right, it is amazing to see the evolution of the publication over the years.

The Sox Media Relations department deserves a lot of credit for the professionalism of the Guide. Every year I sent them in any corrections/inaccuracies that I've found and they are quite gracious and diligent about making the corrections. (Such as leaving Mark 'Moonlight' Dalesandro off the all time roster in 2002 after his half inning of defense in August, 2001)

Probably the biggest gaffe was Arnie Munoz' disappearance from the 2004 Guide. Apparently, that caused quite a stir when he was recalled for his disastrous start and media types couldn't find any info on him.

This year's Guide has at least one faux pas. The minor league stats for Layne Berry (Ken's son) are those of some pitcher, and Layne is an infielder. When I notified the Guidekeepers about this they told me they were well aware of this - The Bandit himself had called it to their attention.

WWilbur - you are Bob Beghtol's worst nightmare! And the Bandit sees everything.

Brian26
07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
(Such as leaving Mark 'Moonlight' Dalesandro off the all time roster in 2002 after his half inning of defense in August, 2001)

Good grief, that may have been the same game Josh Paul played leftfield. :D:

Nice catch though (no pun intended).