PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas in the Clutch

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Frank has often been criticized for his inability to hit in the clutch. The most common criticism directed towards him is the fact that so many of his home runs have come with no one on base; in the first inning; when the game was out of reach, etc. However, when thinking about what happened last night, it occurred to me that Frank's clutch-hitting has improved in the past few seasons.

Of his ten home runs this season, several have either tied the game or given the Sox the lead. Observe:

#1- Ties game at 4-4 in the tenth inning against Cleveland

#7- Gives Sox 1-0 lead against Cubs

#8- Drives in the go-ahead run with a homer in the 13th inning against the Tigers

#9- Gives the Sox a 1-0 lead against the A's

#10- Drives in the go-ahead runs with a three-run homer in the eighth against Tampa Bay

Thus, of his ten home runs, four have put the Sox in a position to win the game. Obviously, they weren't able to hold the lead against Oakland, but one can see that Frank, as well as the rest of the Sox hitters, have been doing a solid job of giving the team a chance every time out.

whitesoxwilkes
07-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Frank has often been criticized for his inability to hit in the clutch. The most common criticism directed towards him is the fact that so many of his home runs have come with no one on base; in the first inning; when the game was out of reach, etc. However, when thinking about what happened last night, it occurred to me that Frank's clutch-hitting has improved in the past few seasons.

Of his ten home runs this season, several have either tied the game or given the Sox the lead. Observe:

#1- Ties game at 4-4 in the tenth inning against Cleveland

#7- Gives Sox 1-0 lead against Cubs

#8- Drives in the go-ahead run with a homer in the 13th inning against the Tigers

#9- Gives the Sox a 1-0 lead against the A's

#10- Drives in the go-ahead runs with a three-run homer in the eighth against Tampa Bay

Thus, of his ten home runs, four have put the Sox in a position to win the game. Obviously, they weren't able to hold the lead against Oakland, but one can see that Frank, as well as the rest of the Sox hitters, have been doing a solid job of giving the team a chance every time out.

RK (and Voodoo)-I've been forced to eat my words thus far with regards to Frank in clutch situations. I beg your forgiveness, please.

Keep on proving me wrong, big guy!

:hurt :bandance:

TornLabrum
07-06-2005, 11:07 PM
RK (and Voodoo)-I've been forced to eat my words thus far with regards to Frank in clutch situations. I beg your forgiveness, please.

:hurt :bandance:

You've been listening to Ward too much, Wilkes!

ode to veeck
07-06-2005, 11:12 PM
will shoota count Frank's HR tonight as it wasn't needed for the winning margin?

enquiring minds want to know ...

samram
07-06-2005, 11:15 PM
will shoota count Frank's HR tonight as it wasn't needed for the winning margin?

No, they were already ahead, and he had already faced Fossum twice.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 11:27 PM
What Frank is doing lately is just what those of us who "know" Frank had envisioned would happen with the 1-2 punch of Pods and Gooch hitting in front of him!

Barring injury, Frank seriously might hit 35 homers this year. For 2/3rds of a season, that's incredible.

Now that Ozzie knows Dye can play first base, the Sox have so many more options to work Everett into the lineup, meaning Frank really should DH every single game. There is no excuse at all, other than injury, for Frank to sit.

MIgrenade
07-06-2005, 11:27 PM

Probably not considering Thomas hit his last HR in the same spot yesterday. Lack of ability to use the whole field...or in this case, the stands.

voodoochile
07-07-2005, 01:53 AM
clutch smutch...

The man has generated 53 bases in 72 official at bats this season. That's a pace for 450 over the course of a full season...:o:

Now that's a fun stat of the day.

Screw the haters. They wouldn't recognize a good thing if Ed McMahon showed up at their door and offered them a free car to go with their $10M prize...

TornLabrum
07-07-2005, 08:02 AM
clutch smutch...

The man has generated 53 bases in 72 official at bats this season. That's a pace for 450 over the course of a full season...:o:

Now that's a fun stat of the day.

Screw the haters. They wouldn't recognize a good thing if Ed McMahon showed up at their door and offered them a free car to go with their $10M prize...

They'd complain about the taxes they have to pay.

daveeym
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM

:hurt :bandance: Hey man no need to eat your words, just give credit where credit's due. I think RK even slipped up and admitted that Frank hasn't always been clutch there a little bit. Here's to you Frank.:gulp: :gulp: And a few more to your health:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: .