PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Lineup Night (7/6/05)

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Didn't see this posted yet, heard it a while ago on the Score

Dye is at 1st because Konerko has the night off.

Other changes are Ozuna at 3rd base (same as last night, assuming their resting the Crede injury) and Everett takes Dye's place in RF.

Oh well, maybe we can get away with it since this is TB, I guess Oz wanted to match Piniella's lineup. Don't think it's THAT bad, but I hate when players play out of position and think it's kind of weird how this type of lineup comes out whenever we are in line for a sweep.

Oh well, as long as Pods is on the field when they announce his selection! :gulp:

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 05:10 PM

Other changes are Ozuna at 3rd base (same as last night, assuming their resting the Crede injury) and Everett takes Dye's place in RF.

Oh well, maybe we can get away with it since this is TB, I guess Oz wanted to match Piniella's lineup. Don't think it's THAT bad, but I hate when players play out of position and think it's kind of weird how this type of lineup comes out whenever we are in line for a sweep.

Oh well, as long as Pods is on the field when they announce his selection! :gulp:

:jerry

"Ozzie allowed me to make today's lineup."

soltrain21
Gload should be up already. This is ridiculious! However, I think Dye will be a lot better at first than Timo was.

NDSox12

Better Dye at first than Timo, that's all I have to say!

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Gload should be up already. This is ridiculious! However, I think Dye will be a lot better at first than Timo was.

Putting Widger at first makes more sense, IMO. It's really too bad that Frank isn't ready to play there, yet.

ShoelessJoeS
07-06-2005, 05:18 PM
However, I think Dye will be a lot better at first than Timo was.
no way....dye should stick to shortstop! :tongue:

Flight #24
07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Putting Widger at first makes more sense, IMO. It's really too bad that Frank isn't ready to play there, yet.

Widg doesn't help you get all your best bats into the lineup. IMO this is a great move. Dye's pretty athletic, and while it's been a while, I'd bet he does decently at 1B. The only thing I'd worry about is scooping low throws. And he's a pretty big target over there for the infielders.

Long term, this is awesome. Without regurgitating the "do we resign Paulie" debate, if Dye can be even halfway decent at 1B, then the Sox a host of options to either resign Paulie and keep Jermaine in RF, or to bring up Anderson, move Dye to 1B, and have $9mil to go out in the market and upgrade elsewhere.

Also, it gives a taste of whether or not they can include Gload in a trade and use Jermaine to backup Paulie intermittently.

mdep524
07-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I actually like this move. Of his big hitters that sub for one another (Pods, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Thomas and Konerko), Konerko is the only one who has been slumping a bit at the plate and had an 0-fer last night. What else are you going to do? You can't bench Frank or Dye, they're on a tear. Aaron had two hits last night. And Pods is your catalyst, starting the 8th inning rally yesterday. Konerko is the logical choice to get a day off, and he deserves it- he hasn't had a true back up in months.

NDSox12
07-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Widg doesn't help you get all your best bats into the lineup. IMO this is a great move. Dye's pretty athletic, and while it's been a while, I'd bet he does decently at 1B. The only thing I'd worry about is scooping low throws. And he's a pretty big target over there for the infielders.

Long term, this is awesome. Without regurgitating the "do we resign Paulie" debate, if Dye can be even halfway decent at 1B, then the Sox a host of options to either resign Paulie and keep Jermaine in RF, or to bring up Anderson, move Dye to 1B, and have $9mil to go out in the market and upgrade elsewhere.

Also, it gives a taste of whether or not they can include Gload in a trade and use Jermaine to backup Paulie intermittently.

Frankly, I doubt the Sox are using tonight's game to help decide if Dye is a good alternative in the post-Konerko era. This is nothing more than giving Konerko a couple days off to hopefully heat up again.

downstairs
07-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey.... we haven't clinched (yet!)... but I like a little bit of experimenting here and there.

You never know what's going to happen in September and October... injuries, slumps, etc.

May be nice to know something like "Dye can handle 1st base in a pinch", etc...

Erik The Red
07-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I actually like this move. Of his big hitters that sub for one another (Pods, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Thomas and Konerko), Konerko is the only one who has been slumping a bit at the plate and had an 0-fer last night. What else are you going to do? You can't bench Frank or Dye, they're on a tear. Aaron had two hits last night. And Pods is your catalyst, starting the 8th inning rally yesterday. Konerko is the logical choice to get a day off, and he deserves it- he hasn't had a true back up in months.
100% agreed.

NonetheLoaiza
07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I'll take it. No slight to the D-Rays, but a little experimentation here is a good thing to do. The Sox are 30 games over .500, and are just trying to explore some possible avenues for future roster moves, etc. It's very different than Manuel tinkering because this would be the situation in which you should be able to tinker.

ChicagoHoosier
07-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Let's hope Dye doesn't pull a hammie making a sharp move or stretching for a throw.

MIgrenade
07-06-2005, 05:43 PM
As long as this is jsut to rest PK then fine, but otherwise I really don't like this experimenting. I don't see why Konerko can't play until Gload gets back, I haven't seen PK running much recently...on the other hand it might be better that he isn't in the lineup.

Flight #24
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Frankly, I doubt the Sox are using tonight's game to help decide if Dye is a good alternative in the post-Konerko era. This is nothing more than giving Konerko a couple days off to hopefully heat up again.

Not fully, but it'll give them an initial take at it. From his comments, he's been taking grounders there all year, so they're at least thinking about it from an emergency perspective. Don't think for a minute that if he makes some nice "snabs", that it won't enter Kenny's mind that he has a new option. Barring a Timo-esque catastrophe, I'd bet we see this move again in '05, at least against the Royals.

Randar68
07-06-2005, 06:01 PM

The try-out for next year's 1st base job? That opens up a space in the OF for Anderson to get into the lineup...

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 06:04 PM

That, my friend, would be a fantastic scenario. If you are right, perhaps the best option for the Sox at 1B in 2006 is not Konerko or a free agent, but Dye.

The $9 million saved by not re-signing Konerko also might come in handy to pay Schmidt if the rumoured trade were to happen.

Either Daver or Randar (or possibly both?) have suggested Ryan Sweeney's ultimate position may be first base. If so, perhaps Dye would be the stop-gap solution at first until Sweeney would be ready. Anyone think Sweeney would be ready in 2007? Rogowski also is an option, as is Gload.

For the short term, assuming Dye can field the position well, it's good to get Paulie a break. Paulie's gotten off to a horrible July, with a pathetic .200 AVG., .238 OBP, .250 SLG and .488 OPS.

Dye, OTOH, really hasn't been bad this season except for April (.517 OPS). In May, he had a .933 OPS. In June, he had a sterling 1.000 OPS. So far in July, he has a monstrous 1.764 OPS.

For the year, Dye has as many homers as Konerko, a better OPS (.875-.819), a better slugging percentage (.542 to .473), one more triple (1-0), 3 more doubles (14 to 11), 3 more hits (75-72), a higher batting average (.275-.243), 13 fewer Ks (62-49), and five more steals (5-0) in 23 fewer at bats (296-273).

The only categories in which Konerko has better numbers are walks (43 to 19), OBP (.346 to .333) and RBI (54 to 45). I would argue Paulie's RBI and walks (and hence his OBP) are in part due to where he bats in the lineup.

To be fair, however, Paulie is an All-Star, is great at turning the 3-6-3 double play, is great in the clubhouse, is the most intelligent baseball player in the MLB (as evidenced by his comments praising Royce Clayton as the best shortstop with whom he's every played), and is a bona-fide team leader.

TimoPerez
07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Timo wasn't terrible at first base. He made one bad play. He also made a lot of nice plays. He was pretty good for not having played it in six years.

mdep524
07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
As long as this is jsut to rest PK then fine, but otherwise I really don't like this experimenting. I don't see why Konerko can't play until Gload gets back, I haven't seen PK running much recently...on the other hand it might be better that he isn't in the lineup. Why should Dye, Rowand, Everett and Frank have to sit once every few days but not Konerko? He belongs in that rotation as well, as his hitting is no better than any of the other players.

I also like the Dye as a stopgap 1B until Sweeney/Rogo is ready idea.

Deadguy
07-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Why should Dye, Rowand, Everett and Frank have to sit once every few days but not Konerko? He belongs in that rotation as well, as his hitting is no better than any of the other players.

I also like the Dye as a stopgap 1B until Sweeney/Rogo is ready idea.

Ditto. Any of the other guys in that rotation are arguably better than GIDPK.

Tonight is a good night to have Konerko taken out of the lineup. He's hitting .188 against lefties this year, and is 0 for 5 in his career against Fossum.

If we're experimenting, then why not leave Dye in RF, and give Everett a shot at 1B. He's an option to look at when Konerko takes a hike in the offseason.

bafiarocks03
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Willie Harris tonight????

Daver
07-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Either Daver or Randar (or possibly both?) have suggested Ryan Sweeney's ultimate position may be first base. If so, perhaps Dye would be the stop-gap solution at first until Sweeney would be ready. Anyone think Sweeney would be ready in 2007? Rogowski also is an option, as is Gload.

Randar first suggested it, and from the tape I have seen, his analysis was dead on, he would be well suited for first base. Rogowski is an option, but he is not going to give you power out of the position, though he will provide some speed as well as some options as far as hit and run go. Sweeney could be ready for next year, if your expectations are not particuarly high.

soxjim
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Now is the time to experiment. 9.5 game lead and the twins lost. Just hope no one gets hurt out there.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
And here is tonight's lineup:

LF- Podsednik
2B- Iguchi
DH- Thomas
RF- Everett
CF- Rowand
1B- Dye
C- Pierzynski
3B- Ozuna
SS- Uribe

Buehrle > Wood
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
In regards to Dye at first...see my sig.

DickAllen72
07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Dye looked good at 1B tonight. I hope he plays a lot more 1B this year. With Frank, Carl, Scott, Aaron and Dye all in the game, this could be our best possible lineup.

Dye could be our regular 1B next year.

CallMeNuts
07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
A little more versatility will never hurt us. In the pre-DH MLB, they used to move all kinds of good-hit, poor-field guys to 1B. It's crazy that Paulee has gone as many games as he has without rest. He's not on the kind of tear that would justify keeping him in the line-up every day. Dye looked fine tonight and I wouldn't feel bad if he played 1B once a week. I hear that Gload's shoulder is not well enough to allow him to play in the outfield. Ozzie may not want him back up if he can only fill in at one position.

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
That was a nice play on the grounder where he threw the guy out at 2nd (the one Uribe dropped)

LuvSox
07-06-2005, 11:32 PM
What a breath of fresh air, seeing JD at first. I like the Konerko-less option we have.

kevingrt
07-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Jermaine probably played a bette 1B then Timo or Pable could have played, so good move by Oswaldo.