PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Cliff Politte was considered a big joke?

lowesox
07-06-2005, 08:52 AM
I was just reading last night's box score and I stopped at just how incredible Politte has pitched this season. Remember when the sox originally signed him, there was very little else going on that offseason and he was the brunt of everybody's jokes? I can't remember how many times his name was posted in teal. But look at him now!

Just thought an ERA almost in the zeros and a 6-0 record deserved a thread congratulating his effort.

pythons007
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Definately an all-star caliber preformance!! Our bullpen has been lights out this year. HERE HERE FOR CLIFFIE!!!:gulp: :gulp:

PAPChiSox729
07-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I was just reading last night's box score and I stopped at just how incredible Politte has pitched this season. Remember when the sox originally signed him, there was very little else going on that offseason and he was the brunt of everybody's jokes? I can't remember how many times his name was posted in teal. But look at him now!

Just thought an ERA almost in the zeros and a 6-0 record deserved a thread congratulating his effort.

Cliff has done a fantastic job this year coming out of that pen. It is easy to gain a fan's love. And IMO, it is even easier to loose it. Here's to Cliff finishing up strong.
:gulp:

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 10:08 AM
couldn't you have found one of the old Cliff Politte threads and dug it up instead?:wink:

CubKilla
07-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Cliff "The Hawk" Politte :gulp: making a name for himself being one of MLB's leading "vultures".

Good to see the team razzing him about this on ComCast last night. Looks like alot of fun in that clubhouse but, I'm sure, winning has alot to do with it. Good to see Big Frank all smiles too :gulp: .

Realist
07-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Where's tanko? :?:

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Politte was a mess in Toronto. His ERA in 2003 was 5.66. Up here, they hate seeing him be lights out for the Sox now. :cool:

hawkjt
07-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Yes, Mac,Jurko and Harry were constantly deriding this acquisition that off-season. Typical of Mac to hammer sox guys til they excel. Still calls Joe ''the lamb'' and only this year cut out the ''Judy'' references for Garland.

Wish they would make up nicknames like ''fatso'' for him and jokingly refer to it in interviews. Fair game ,right?

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I'll admit I was one of those who said 'who?' When he puts up these kind of numbers it appears that Don Cooper must be doing something right and should get some of the credit.

Nothing in Politte's history gave any indication this might happen.

Lip

DaleJRFan
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
A lot of similar things were said by Sox fans (not necessarily on WSI) and also by the media about Dustin Hermanson this offseason as well.

shoota
07-06-2005, 03:20 PM
In today's Trib, Mark Gonzales recaps last night's game:
After Podsednik hit his double, pitcher Mark Buehrle started chirping like a vulture in the dugout.

The bird-like noise was in reference to reliever Cliff Politte, who hurled only two pitches in the eighth inning but got the victory to improve to 6-0.

"The first two wins you'll take," said Politte, who lowered his ERA to 1.09 in 32 appearances. "But after that, you start to feel sorry because the [starting] pitcher battled his tail off."

Buehrle and the guys might give Politte some ribbing for "stealing" all the victories, and Politte might feel a little embarrased to receive this many, but he deserves all 6 of them.

I say he deserves the win because his past dominance this year has earned the confidence of Ozzie, which is why Ozzie brings him in to pitch in close/tied games. And remember, if he didn't record the outs he makes look so easy, he wouldn't be in line for the wins. So, here's to Cliff Politte's 6 well earned wins this season. :gulp:

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
I'll admit I was one of those who said 'who?' When he puts up these kind of numbers it appears that Don Cooper must be doing something right and should get some of the credit.

Nothing in Politte's history gave any indication this might happen.

Lip

I remember my reaction when the Sox signed Dustin Hermanson in
December of 2004.Whoopee.That's it.No eclamation,no nothing.
Just whoopee.

This is one time i'm more than happy to be proven wrong.:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Cliff "The Hawk" Politte :gulp: making a name for himself being one of MLB's leading "vultures".

Remember when Barry Jones was nicknamed
"The Vulture" during the 1990 season?? He earned his
nickname like Politte,swooping in to win games late.

dcb33
07-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Politte was a mess in Toronto. His ERA in 2003 was 5.66. Up here, they hate seeing him be lights out for the Sox now. :cool:

IIRC, Toronto tried to force him into the closer's role in 03, and by his own admission he wasn't ready for the job. He's always preferred the setup role, and it's obviously worked really well for both Politte and the Sox. Just don't ask him to close.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
IIRC, Toronto tried to force him into the closer's role in 03, and by his own admission he wasn't ready for the job. He's always preferred the setup role, and it's obviously worked really well for both Politte and the Sox. Just don't ask him to close.
Yes, the Jays tried to make him their closer and it didn't work out. And that carried over here. Remember last year how Politte had trouble anytime he was brought in during the 9th inning? He's got some kind of allergy or fear of the number nine or something -- just don't make him pitch the 9th and he's lights out. :cool: