PDA

View Full Version : Worst Park in Baseball

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Theres alot of good ones, and alot of Bad ones. But which one is the Worst Park in Baseball?

havelj
07-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Metrodome

AKA Rollerdome
AKA Twinkydome

There's something wrong when that team has 2 World Series wins without ever winning a WS road game - good thing they didn't play in even-numbered years.

SOX ADDICT '73
07-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Gee, I wonder which pee-soaked "shrine" will run away with this one?

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Most teams cant play on that fake turf. But we got new fake grass now. :)

SOX ADDICT '73
07-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Metrodome
Yeah, no offense TwinsFan, but The Hump is a dump. Nice baggie! Hope your new stadium is more respectable. What's the latest on that front?

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Well the Twins and Hennepin County have reached a "tentative agreement" on a 42,000 seat Open-Air Ballpark located about 2 blocks from the Target Center I think. They will have to raise taxes around the Twin Citys and they will have to pass the bill through the Minnesota State Legislature. So right now i think we are waiting to see how this plays out. I think everyone would agree Twins fan or Sox fan that playing in a nice new ballpark in Minnesota would good for everyone and the game.

StillMissOzzie
07-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Metrodome

AKA Rollerdome
AKA Twinkydome

There's something wrong when that team has 2 World Series wins without ever winning a WS road game - good thing they didn't play in even-numbered years.

I'll cast my vote for the former Thunder Dome, forget what it's called now, where the D-Rays play.

SMO
:gulp:

Mr. White Sox
07-06-2005, 02:29 AM
That photo looks a heck of a lot like the Cell. Interesting, no?

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 02:29 AM
Well the Twins and Hennepin County have reached a "tentative agreement" on a 42,000 seat Open-Air Ballpark located about 2 blocks from the Target Center I think. They will have to raise taxes around the Twin Citys and they will have to pass the bill through the Minnesota State Legislature. So right now i think we are waiting to see how this plays out. I think everyone would agree Twins fan or Sox fan that playing in a nice new ballpark in Minnesota would good for everyone and the game.

I can agree on that. I can't stand that NASAturf crap. We're not playing baseball on the ****ing moon are we?

Nellie_Fox
07-06-2005, 02:37 AM
I think everyone would agree Twins fan or Sox fan that playing in a nice new ballpark in Minnesota would good for everyone and the game.As long as I don't get my taxes raised to pay for it.

Hennepin County residents are going to get a sales tax increase to pay for it (if the legislature approves.) However, I just know that once they get started, there'll be "cost overruns" and they'll go the legislature to get everyone in Minnesota to pony up, and the legislature will say, "well, what can we do? It's half built; we can't stop now."

Banix12
07-06-2005, 02:40 AM
The worst stadium I have ever personally been to was Tiger Stadium but that is no longer played in. Wrigley is the worst one still in use, it's really not as bad as everybody here makes it out to be but it is just such a pain in the butt to get to and from it and it lacks a lot of the ammenities of the newer ballparks.

Though from stories I have heard from relatives this shouldn't even be a contest. The "Juicebox" tropicana field in Tampa Bay is the worst stadium in baseball. Second is probably Pro Player stadium in Miami. though I bet they could easily be switched.

PeteWard
07-06-2005, 03:37 AM
The Kingdome was a pit. So was Candlestick. Shea is a dump. All of the late 60s do-nuts; Riverfront, Veterans, and Three Rivers just sucked. Cellular really lacks the character & feeling that our old yard had but is better than it used to be. Still can't believe no one thought of having it look out on one the best skylines in the world. No imagination went into that place.

C-Dawg
07-06-2005, 05:30 AM
I've gotta pile on the Metrodome. The eerie atmosphere (no fresh air), the right-field wall composed of folded-up stands, the cramped concourse with those tiny doors leading to the stands, and a whole lot of seats far from the field just don't do it anymore. Maybe it was state of the art in 1981 but not anymore.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Rogers Centre née Skydome.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 09:37 AM
The Urinal.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Rogers Centre née Skydome.
???
I liked SkyDome, other than the fact that it was quieter than my office (except for one loud fan who, whenever Carlos Delgado made an out during the course of his 0-4 game, would always yell, "Don't WORRY about it Carlos. You're the MAN!")
Also, Toronto is a great city to visit...

ondafarm
07-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I can agree on that. I can't stand that NASAturf crap. We're not playing baseball on the ****ing moon are we?

Hey, no insulting NASA!!! They didn't do it.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
As long as I don't get my taxes raised to pay for it.

Hennepin County residents are going to get a sales tax increase to pay for it (if the legislature approves.) However, I just know that once they get started, there'll be "cost overruns" and they'll go the legislature to get everyone in Minnesota to pony up, and the legislature will say, "well, what can we do? It's half built; we can't stop now."

Any chance the proposed Twins stadium would have a retractable roof?

The Racehorse
07-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Theres alot of good ones, and alot of Bad ones. But which one is the Worst Park in Baseball?

The turd your team plays in. :wink:

32nd&Wallace
07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
As long as I don't get my taxes raised to pay for it.

Hennepin County residents are going to get a sales tax increase to pay for it (if the legislature approves.) However, I just know that once they get started, there'll be "cost overruns" and they'll go the legislature to get everyone in Minnesota to pony up, and the legislature will say, "well, what can we do? It's half built; we can't stop now."that's funny...where would the white sox be if not taxpayers

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
???
I liked SkyDome, other than the fact that it was quieter than my office (except for one loud fan who, whenever Carlos Delgado made an out during the course of his 0-4 game, would always yell, "Don't WORRY about it Carlos. You're the MAN!")
Also, Toronto is a great city to visit...

Of course Toronto is a great city to visit. Here's some helpful links for anyone thinking of a vacation in beautiful Canada this year or in the future:

http://www.trailcanada.com/canada-guides/toronto.asp

http://www.torontotourism.com/Visitor

As for the Dome, it sucks. It's quiet, sterile, boring, plastic & concrete (and the home team wears ridiculously ugly uniforms).

SOXintheBURGH
07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Of course Toronto is a great city to visit. Here's some helpful links for anyone thinking of a vacation in beautiful Canada this year or in the future:

http://www.trailcanada.com/canada-guides/toronto.asp

http://www.torontotourism.com/Visitor

As for the Dome, it sucks. It's quiet, sterile, boring, plastic & concrete (and the home team wears ridiculously ugly uniforms).

You mean, "Trawnto," of course, right?

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 10:08 AM
You mean, "Trawnto," of course, right?
Remember, the second "T" is silent. :cool:

maurice
07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
1. Minny
2. Tampa
3. The Urinal

The old Kingdome was horrible. The OF bleachers were identical to HS bleachers.

Captian Ron
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
The Urinal:pee

Sonik22
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
1. twinkydome
2. urinal
3. pro player
4. shea

What are you talking about the blue jays have some sweet uniforms although there away one is much better. The skydome is awesome, one of my favs behind the cell.

Longb23
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I've been to Shea, that is the biggest dump of a park i've ever seen.

mrfourni
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I was at the colliseum in oakland to see the sox a few years back. that stadium had absolutely character whatsoever, and the new centerfield football stands are atrocious.

other than the weather of nothern california, the colliseum in oakland is nothing to write home about

patbooyah
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
one distinction that i draw, personally is this:

i respect wrigley for being a historic and very well-integrated stadium in terms of its location. i wrote a long thesis paper on how important it is to make a stadium fit in its neighborhood and wrigley does that. it isn't enormous, and you all know about the bleachers on the buildings that surround it. unfortunately for cubs fans, the ownership is ruining this with their "upgrades."

that being said- seeing a game there is possibly the most unpleasant experience i've ever had. mainly because of the fans, the poles and the fans. also- the seats are too small, and in this modern time its become impratical.

so to recap, stadium is cool in same sense as museum.

1951Campbell
07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
The Vet.

Not only was it a craphole, but they did not serve salted-in-the-shell peanuts there. At a baseball stadium. Are you kidding me?

EastCoastSoxFan
07-06-2005, 12:35 PM
The Vet.

Not only was it a craphole, but they did not serve salted-in-the-shell peanuts there. At a baseball stadium. Are you kidding me?
???
The Vet wasn't that bad; it was just one of those cookie-cutter late '60's - early '70's-era stadiums. The only real thing to complain about in the Vet (or any other Philly sports stadium) is the inordinate hostility of the fans...

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Tampa Bay...end of discussion.

Lip

The Dude
07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
1.) Humpdump ( I like the ring to that!) and I also like the early renderings for a new stadium. Cant wait for them to get with the times!
2.) Urinal
3.) Tampa
4.) Fenway
5.) Toronto
6.) Pro Player
7.) RFK

The Dude
07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Tampa Bay...end of discussion.

Lip

and to think, the Sox might have been playing there!

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
isn't Tropicana where the Sox would have wound up had they moved

down there?

that would have been awful

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Correct

Lip

Fenway
07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I know White Sox fans will says 1060 W Addison but the reality is Shea Stadium is brutal.

No Contest

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/nl/shea635.jpg

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 01:44 PM
1.North Side Piss Shrine (tourists call it Wrigley Field)
2.Tropicana Field (D-Rays)
3.McAfee Colliseum (Oakland,and we know how
well the Sox have played there since 2001)
4.Metrodome (blow up the damn thing already!!)
5.Kingdome (Safeco Field is much better)
6.SkyDome ( a house of horrors for the Sox,
who swept their 3 game series there for the
first time since 1999)
7.AstroDome (ugly!!)
8.Three Rivers (ditto!!)
9.Riverfront Stadium (ugh!!)
10.Fenway Park (A.L. Wrigley-over rated!!)

FedEx227
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
1) any of the late 60s-early 70s cookie cutters
2) Tropicana Field

while Wrigley is a crap-hole, its nowhere near the worst stadium in baseball, not when St. Petersburg, Florida has a giant orange right in the middle of their dirty Dali-Museum filled downtown.

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I know White Sox fans will says 1060 W Addison but the reality is Shea Stadium is brutal.

No Contest

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/nl/shea635.jpg

How appropriate they are located in FLUSHING,NY.:roflmao: :roflmao:

JohnBasedowYoda
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM

:whocares
:twinslose
:notwinks
:threadsucks

Southsider101
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM

I live in MN an would die for an outdoor ballpark so that the Sox can visit each year; but as I write this, the MN state government is in shutdown because the incompetents in the legislature cannot agree upon a budget. The state legislature has been in special session for a month and neither side will budge. The left wing and the right wing both use the Twins and Carl Polad as a punching bag for "no new taxes" or "no welfare for billionaires" session after session. Each year the Twins have presented a proposal before the legislature and each year it's been rejected or has been unable to get a vote. Without doubt, the Metrodome is the worst ball park in MLB, but unfortunately the defective DNA and human waste that Minnesota voters
continue to send to St Paul will undermine any efforts by the Twins and Hennepin County.:angry:

Chips
07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Oakland, Tampa Bay, and the Urinal all suck.

DSpivack
07-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I didn't think Skydome was really that bad.

Is the Rays stadium the one that was built for the White Sox in the 80s?

Chips
07-06-2005, 06:47 PM
I didn't think Skydome was really that bad.

Is the Rays stadium the one that was built for the White Sox in the 80s?

Pretty sure it was the early 90's. Or maybe it opened it 1990 and they worked on it in the 80's. Either way the place is a ****hole.

FedEx227
07-06-2005, 07:06 PM
It was built in the 80s as the Thunderdome, then remade for baseball in the early 90s ( I sure hope someone lost their job over that)

D. TODD
07-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Shea Stadium is the worst I've been to. I did not care for Yankee Stadium, Kaufman Stadium or "the shrine" either. I love the Cell, Jacobs Field , Coors Field, Busch Stadium, Comerica Park and Turner Field were nice as well. I will be at Camden Yards at the end of July, and probably the Metrodome to in September, so my list may change at that point.

86metsghost
07-06-2005, 10:38 PM
How appropriate they are located in FLUSHING,NY.:roflmao: :roflmao:

I was born in Flushing :angry:

EdHerman12
07-06-2005, 10:45 PM
My vote goes to the home of the former Montreal Expos La Stadium Olympique...or whatever the French call it....I went to a few games there in the mid 1980's and it was like playing baseball in a school hallway. The echos were unreal and no spirit from the crowd what so ever. That's why the Nationals are doing so well...there's actually life in their fans!

Coldest park I was ever at was Candlestick park in Frisco.I mean that place was frigid even during a day game....the hottest park...old Arlington Stadium in Texas. I mean there's hot...and then there's freakin :angry: ....nice Texas babes walking around there though,and wearing as little as possible!:D: .

GO SOX!

86metsghost
07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Shea Stadium is the worst I've been to. I did not care for Yankee Stadium, Kaufman Stadium or "the shrine" either. I love the Cell, Jacobs Field , Coors Field, Busch Stadium, Comerica Park and Turner Field were nice as well. I will be at Camden Yards at the end of July, and probably the Metrodome to in September, so my list may change at that point.

Shea is a dump, but its OUR dump! :rolleyes:

Anyway the Mets new Stadium opens in 2009, thank God. Its going to be a replica of the old Brooklyn Dodgers Ebbets Field. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Any chance the proposed Twins stadium would have a retractable roof?The proposed plan does not include a retractable roof but is designed to allow one to be added (totally at taxpayers' expense, of course.)

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2005, 12:27 AM
that's funny...where would the white sox be if not taxpayersWhere did I write that I thought taxpayer funding of new Comiskey was a good idea? I opposed it then, and I oppose it now. Study after study has shown that funding sports stadiums is a losing deal for the cities that do it. They don't bring in new money; they only redistribute entertainment money.

For example, here in Minnesota, how is it in the interest of Mankato, where I live, to pay taxes to build a new park in Minneapolis? It will being zero new dollars to Mankato, and very likely cause entertainment dollars that might have been spent in Mankato by Mankato residents to migrate to Minneapolis.

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Shea is a dump, but its OUR dump! :rolleyes:

Anyway the Mets new Stadium opens in 2009, thank God. Its going to be a replica of the old Brooklyn Dodgers Ebbets Field. :cool:

Welcome, fellow Met fan! Too bad they are saying that the new stadium won't have a roof. Hopefully that will change soon.

Nellie_Fox
07-07-2005, 12:37 AM
I live in MN an would die for an outdoor ballpark so that the Sox can visit each year; but as I write this, the MN state government is in shutdown because the incompetents in the legislature cannot agree upon a budget. The state legislature has been in special session for a month and neither side will budge. The left wing and the right wing both use the Twins and Carl Polad as a punching bag for "no new taxes" or "no welfare for billionaires" session after session. Each year the Twins have presented a proposal before the legislature and each year it's been rejected or has been unable to get a vote. Without doubt, the Metrodome is the worst ball park in MLB, but unfortunately the defective DNA and human waste that Minnesota voters
continue to send to St Paul will undermine any efforts by the Twins and Hennepin County.:angry:The current budget standoff has nothing to do with the Twins or the new ballpark. Nothing. It isn't even an issue in the current budget, because the only pending proposal only involves a sales tax in Hennepin County, not any state funding. There has been resistance in the past, but this year there is no pending proposal to use state money for a new Twins park.

Sorry kid, but I don't agree that opposing using tax money to buy a playpen for people who can easily afford to build it themselves makes people "defective DNA" and/or "human waste." Feel free to write out a check to Polad if you think you need to contribute. My tax burden in this state is staggering.

If Ford demanded that the taxpayers bought a new Ranger plant in St. Paul, would you be all for that? Ford provides a hell of a lot more well-paying jobs for Twin-Cities residents than the Twins ever will.

86metsghost
07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Welcome, fellow Met fan! Too bad they are saying that the new stadium won't have a roof. Hopefully that will change soon.

Glad to be here! I found the site while doing a search on how ugly the Mets blue/black cap is. I like the all black one and the original but our hybrid cap is hideous.

TimoPerez
07-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Glad to be here! I found the site while doing a search on how ugly the Mets blue/black cap is. I like the all black one and the original but our hybrid cap is hideous.

The Black with the blue brim has to be the worst hat they have. I really love the original blue.

Fenway
07-07-2005, 07:31 PM
The Trop opened the same day I was married March 3, 1990. It was first The Florida Suncoast Dome, then the Thunderdome and finally The Trop.

The NCAA who had the Final Four there in 1999 told The University of South Florida to not bother applying again, they won't go back. ( and these are people who cried when the Kingdome was blown up )

But hey how many MLB parks have a furniture store in it

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/dia...report0627.html (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0627basereport0627.html)

How tacky is the world of Devil Rays managing partner Vince Naimoli when, in the entrance that leads to the clubhouses at Tropicana Field, a local furniture store has set up a showroom with price tags dangling from the arms of chairs and dressers.

(By the way, the ottoman is going for $599 and an area rug for $199.)

http://www.sptimes.com/News/042701/...ing__offi.shtml (http://www.sptimes.com/News/042701/Sports/Team_not_moving__offi.shtml)

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays may be for sale, but they aren't going anywhere, St. Petersburg officials said confidently on Thursday.

Any new owner would have to honor the 26 years remaining on the Devil Rays' lease for Tropicana Field because the lease obligation must be sold with the team, City Attorney John Wolfe said.

SoxFanSince67
07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
The absolute worst I've been to is the Metrodome. The seats are a cheap plastic, it's a steep and long climb up the steps to the narrow entrance, no restaurant or bar, the sound system is horrible, etc. etc

PicktoCLick72
07-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Tropicana Field is easily the worst. A meaningful baseball game has never been played there.

Hitmen77
07-07-2005, 11:32 PM
The Kingdome was a pit. So was Candlestick. Shea is a dump. All of the late 60s do-nuts; Riverfront, Veterans, and Three Rivers just sucked. Cellular really lacks the character & feeling that our old yard had but is better than it used to be. Still can't believe no one thought of having it look out on one the best skylines in the world. No imagination went into that place.

I can't believe that having the Cell face downtown instead of the way it is now would really matter to most people. Last I heard the Urinal faces away from downtown. Old Comiskey faced downtown, but you couldn't see it from inside the park.

C-Dawg
07-08-2005, 06:55 AM
The absolute worst I've been to is the Metrodome. The seats are a cheap plastic, it's a steep and long climb up the steps to the narrow entrance, no restaurant or bar, the sound system is horrible, etc. etc

And it would be a good idea to bring binoculars to see the scoreboard! Its so far away I thought maybe it was for fans to see in Milwaukee instead of Minneapolis.

Anyway, now that its summer I can't even imagine seeing a game there; I'd probably leave in the 5th inning just to go out and get some sunshine and fresh air.

Hitmen77
07-08-2005, 08:40 AM
By far the worst are the only 2 remaining fixed-roof domes in basebase: the Metrodome and Tropicana Field. Those places look awful. It doesn't even feel like I'm watching a real game when the Sox play there.

Joel Perez
07-08-2005, 12:00 PM

Nah, maybe not. :)

Seriously, not a bad drawing. Kinda looks like the Jake.

Do they really need that silly looking "Twins" there behind homeplate? If they would put the "TC" symbol there instead, that would look cool.

Oh...worst stadium still existing? Shea Stadium, hands down.

slobes
07-09-2005, 11:14 PM
By far the worst are the only 2 remaining fixed-roof domes in basebase: the Metrodome and Tropicana Field. Those places look awful. It doesn't even feel like I'm watching a real game when the Sox play there.

I agree, although I haven't been to Tropicana in person. Those two stadiums are terrible.