PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sportsline: Preseason Sox ranking "biggest mistake"

Bisco Stu
07-06-2005, 03:03 AM
From the latest rankings:

Chicago White Sox (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/rankings/CHW): "A veteran rotation keeps them in the mix." We had that right, but their preseason No. 17 ranking was our biggest mistake of all. (The Sox are currently ranked #1, as they should be)

Bisco Stu
07-06-2005, 03:05 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/powerrankings

Jaffar
07-06-2005, 07:54 AM
So, if you're keeping score: Win at home and win the close ones, and you too can overachieve.

Ouch, maybe they should mention winning on the road too and destroying every team in your division and you can overachieve even more. I thought they were apologizing but clearly I was wrong.

mccoydp
07-06-2005, 08:10 AM
They are going to be the first in a long line of apologists that are going to crawl out of the woodwork in the coming months.
Get ready for a barf-fest, Sox fans.

downstairs
07-06-2005, 09:33 AM
They are going to be the first in a long line of apologists that are going to crawl out of the woodwork in the coming months.
Get ready for a barf-fest, Sox fans.

If someone picked them 2nd to the Twins, I have no problem, and they should not apologize. That was a fair ranking. Because they saw that blowing up the homerun festival was a smart thing, but also saw that the Twins were still a very good team.

I'm a Sox fan, so I hoped for better.

Now, the people that picked them 3rd or 4th have some 'splainin to do....

mccoydp
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Now, the people that picked them 3rd or 4th have some 'splainin to do....

Those are the "peeps" I'm talking about...

chisox2005
07-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Didn't the almighty Gammons and all his boys at ESPN pick the Sox to finish 3rd or 4th, doubt we'll ever see them talk about their pre-season rankings.

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Didn't the almighty Gammons and all his boys at ESPN pick the Sox to finish 3rd or 4th, doubt we'll ever see them talk about their pre-season rankings.

They did, as did Sports Illustrated. I looked back at my Baseball Preview issue this weekend, and was reminded that they had the Sox in fourth, behind Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit, with the Royals finishing last.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
On BBTN's season preview show during the five minutes when the A.L. Central was discussed the word White Sox was not mentioned one time on any subject, nor was the name of any Sox player mentioned at all during any subject. They ignored them completely as if they never existed.

Lip

buehrle4cy05
07-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey, don't forget, Rob Neyer was the only one on ESPN.com to pick the White Sox to win the Central at the start of the year. However, all of his other ESPN counterparts have some explaining to do.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
On BBTN's season preview show during the five minutes when the A.L. Central was discussed the word White Sox was not mentioned one time on any subject, nor was the name of any Sox player mentioned at all during any subject. They ignored them completely as if they never existed.

Lip

Hey Lipman, you wouldn't happen to have that broadcast on tape? I can see where WSI might be the perfect vehicle for documenting just how stupid and small-minded the dolts at ESPN truly are by publishing that bit for the entire internet to hear.

:cool:

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey Lipman, you wouldn't happen to have that broadcast on tape? I can see where WSI might be the perfect vehicle for documenting just how stupid and small-minded the dolts at ESPN truly are by publishing that bit for the entire internet to hear.

:cool:I think that was the show in which John Kruk predicted Randy Johnson would win 30 games. :kneeslap:

Considering he's 8-6 now, he's going to have to really turn it on in the second half.:redneck

ShoelessJoeS
07-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Ouch, maybe they should mention winning on the road too and destroying every team in your division and you can overachieve even more. I thought they were apologizing but clearly I was wrong.
overachieve? its only july, we have lots to achieve still

Optipessimism
07-07-2005, 02:02 AM

Lip

That's because we don't exist to the rest of the AL Central. We are our own freakin' league now.

CleeFan101
07-07-2005, 02:36 AM
I think that was the show in which John Kruk predicted Randy Johnson would win 30 games. :kneeslap:

Considering he's 8-6 now, he's going to have to really turn it on in the second half.:redneck

close but not quite, they showed the clip of where he said RJ might win 30 games but he actually said it b4 that.

Mohoney
07-07-2005, 04:15 AM

You're right. That's the most half-assed apology I've ever seen.

At what point does it stop being "overachieving"?

Anybody that doesn't see that the talent level is there for this team is just plain blind. When Marte and El Duque return, everybody on this team, 1-25, is a competent professional ballplayer. There is absolutely no dead weight. Of course, there are always a few spots with ANY team that can be upgraded, but the list of players that would be worth going after for this team, at this point, is very short. In my opinion, only a bona fide stud (a Jason Schmidt or an Eric Chavez) would be worth the price in this sellers' market, and I believe that Kenny Williams is just the type of GM to make this type of move.

We all see the blood in the water, and I know that KW does, too. I have a feeling that he will pull the trigger on an overkill-type move before July 31.