PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Lou mixin things up for Wednesday's finale (HE HAS LOST IT)

JDsDirtySox
07-06-2005, 01:03 AM
From Rotoworld:

Casey Fossum won't start Wednesday. After watching his bullpen struggle again tonight, manager Lou Piniella said he plans to use a reliever initially and then bring in Fossum later on.
''I've made up my mind and that's what we're going to do,'' Piniella said. ''People are going to think I'm crazy, but we're just going to try it. Starting tomorrow, I'll bring in whatever reliever I feel like starting the game with, and I'll bring my starter in in the third inning and we'll play nine innings of baseball that way.'' We don't think you're crazy, Lou. You're just a bad manager. Piniella didn't announce who would start in place of Fossum. This latest scheme isn't likely to survive the All-Star break, assuming it even makes it through the night. Jul. 6 - 12:25 am et

CubKilla
07-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Good. We ain't much better off if Contreras lives and dies with a forkball that may or may not be working like it should tomorrow night anyway.

chidonez
07-06-2005, 01:09 AM
I wouldn't even begin to suggest that Lou is a bad manager. His career is stellar. In context, he's dealing with the worst of the worst situation here, not that he didn't ask for it. He left the M's, supposedly to live closer to home, but to my understanding, he was promised by TB that he'd get some players to work with. Well, he hasn't gotten that. So, I see his latest foolin' around as a message to the managers of the TB organization. "You don't give me starters, so I'll go with what I got." What else is there to do, except let the Yanks pile up 20 odds runs. The man is in a tight spot. However, when he has talent, like he did in Seattle, he's quite a brilliant skipper. I saw him make many a good move in my day. Keep it up Lou! And if they don't come through for you, at least make it entertaining, as you are.

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Hahaha, Veeck as a manager? This sounds awesome, why not when your team is in the tank before Spring Training starts

Banix12
07-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Ned Yost did a move like this a couple of years ago but in that situation the weather report called for a prolonged thunderstorm around the second or third inning. Since he knew that he didn't want his starter to get cold during the delay he just started a reliever and brought in the starter after the delay.

That's smart, not sure what Lou is thinking. But nothing else has worked so he might as well try it.

jabrch
07-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Pinella WANTS to get fired. He is going to manage either the Yanks or the Cubs next year if he gets his way. This is just another ploy to piss off the ownership that promised him a 50mm payroll and failed to deliver.

The good news for us is that we should clobber the Rays for a sweep!!!

balke
07-06-2005, 01:30 AM
It sounds crazy, but seeing how many runs have been scored in the 8th inning on this team, perhaps he thinks his bullpen can pitch early better with longer warm up times. Then his regular starter can come out and pitch the rest of the game.

It sucks that they have some decent hitting on that team, but they are losing games still. With some better pitching depth, they might actually have a team.

jabrch
07-06-2005, 01:45 AM
It sounds crazy, but seeing how many runs have been scored in the 8th inning on this team, perhaps he thinks his bullpen can pitch early better with longer warm up times. Then his regular starter can come out and pitch the rest of the game.

It sucks that they have some decent hitting on that team, but they are losing games still. With some better pitching depth, they might actually have a team.

I hope they start Harper, McClung or Colome. That would rock!!!!

skobabe8
07-06-2005, 01:47 AM
I say good for Lou. I hope it doesnt work (on wednesday), but with moves like this, how can you say the guy isnt an entertaining manager? :D:

Chips
07-06-2005, 01:51 AM
When you're 30 games under .500, you're bound to try anything.
On a side note, did anyone think Lou looked like a homeless guy today?

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 02:10 AM
The poor guy just can't seem to do anything to get the attention of ownership. For god sakes, the Rays just need pitching! How many rebuilding teams are there that would absolutely LOVE to have the amount of quality young position players they have? All they need to do is get a starting rotation and about three arms in the bullpen. I know that sounds like a whole lot, but they have enough talent in their system to make a few trades if they would just bump up the payroll.

On a side note, MLB really needs to do something about this crap. It's gotten very old already. There needs to be some sort of rule in place where if a team finishes below a certain point for a certain number of years the team either has to forfeit ownership or go up for contraction.

JRIG
07-06-2005, 07:20 AM
I hate Lou Pinella.

If management had any balls he would have been out the door last year since he's obviously quit on his ballclub.

Overrated piece of crap.

CleeFan101
07-06-2005, 07:29 AM
They are stacked with position players, If they keep their players a core of Huff, Delmon Young, BJ Upton, Carl Crawford, and Rocco Baldelli is going to be a great offense.... their main problem is pitching.

The only bright spot seems to be Scott Kazmir... Brazelton seems to be like a bust, he was the 3rd overall pick in a draft following Joe Mauer and Mark Prior. And I dont think the D-Rays have any real good pitching prospects in the minors either.

samram
07-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I hate Lou Pinella.

If management had any balls he would have been out the door last year since he's obviously quit on his ballclub.

Overrated piece of crap.

I think Piniella is a teriffic manager, but I think his mindset in going to Tampa was misguided. It seems he wanted to manage as a hobby, not as a vocation. He wanted management to start spending so he could have a nice little team to play with while he spent time with his family. Now that he didn't get it though, you're right- he's quit, has no respect for his players and is basically shoving it all in management's face, which, while entertaining, is hardly professional.

mccoydp
07-06-2005, 08:13 AM
It should be fun to watch this mess tonight.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Pinella wears his heart on his sleeve. Whether you agree or disagree with him, he leaves it all out there. People like him, and now Ozzie, irk the BB gods (ESPN) because they THINK for themselves.....something that doesn't happen in Bristol, CT. Look at the Yanks - Torre's the manager of that mess, and you NEVER see emotion. Imagine how much complaining Steinbrenner wouldn't have to do if Pinella was there. THAT, would be entertaining.

Keep it up Lou.

downstairs
07-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Why not? I applaud him for trying to do something with nothing. He's a good manager, and I blame none of this on him.

(Name one manager in the history of baseball that would have done THAT much better with this rookie league staff).

This reminds me of the stuff LaRussa pulls from time to time (batting the pitcher 8th, etc.) And I love LaRussa as a manager (not as a person).

Now, that being said... I could see this not being all that successful.

wdelaney72
07-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes, this is a stupid idea, but why the hell not.

I think it's funny. They're the friggin' Devil Rays.

downstairs
07-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Now, what happens if the guy is throwing a perfect game through 3, 4 innings?

(Of course, not wishing that on the Sox... just saying!)

gobears1987
07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
It should be fun to watch this mess tonight.
http://www.onlineathens.com/images/050703/train_wreck.jpg

Tekijawa
07-06-2005, 10:05 AM
NEXT UP: Lou wants fans to call the pitches! Please text message the pitch you would like to see next to Toby Hall at 678910, Standard text messaging charges apply, children under 18 please check with an adult first.

infohawk
07-06-2005, 10:07 AM

Even though they have a bad record, I don't consider the D-Rays all that bad. I agree that they have pitching issues that ultimately hold them back, but they hit, run and catch the baseball pretty well.

JRIG
07-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Why not? I applaud him for trying to do something with nothing. He's a good manager, and I blame none of this on him.

(Name one manager in the history of baseball that would have done THAT much better with this rookie league staff).

This reminds me of the stuff LaRussa pulls from time to time (batting the pitcher 8th, etc.) And I love LaRussa as a manager (not as a person).

Now, that being said... I could see this not being all that successful.

I think Lou is one of the major problems with the D-Rays. He's yet to develop one young pitcher since he arrived and the pitching talent hasn't been that awful. He doesn't like to play young players, even though the D-Rays do have a decent core of minor leaguers coming through the system. He jerks players in and out of the lineup, up and down the batting order. He says one thing then does another frequently. And I think the players know he wants out of there and has wanted out of there for at least the past year.

CHISOXFAN13
07-06-2005, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't even begin to suggest that Lou is a bad manager. His career is stellar. In context, he's dealing with the worst of the worst situation here, not that he didn't ask for it. He left the M's, supposedly to live closer to home, but to my understanding, he was promised by TB that he'd get some players to work with. Well, he hasn't gotten that. So, I see his latest foolin' around as a message to the managers of the TB organization. "You don't give me starters, so I'll go with what I got." What else is there to do, except let the Yanks pile up 20 odds runs. The man is in a tight spot. However, when he has talent, like he did in Seattle, he's quite a brilliant skipper. I saw him make many a good move in my day. Keep it up Lou! And if they don't come through for you, at least make it entertaining, as you are.

Piniella is having an awful year as manager. Case in point Monday night. TB had runners on first and second with none out trailing 6-5 with Crawford at the dish. Rather than sacrifice the runners to second and third, Sweet Lou allowed CC to swing away. The Rays would score no more runs.

Down by one with a runner on first and nobody out in the eighth against the Twins last week, Piniella again allowed Nick Green to swing away. He grounded into a double play.

The man has lost his mind and his decision making is going with it.

MIgrenade
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
I find it interesting and fun, mostly because now Contreras has a chance to win.

balke
07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Even though they have a bad record, I don't consider the D-Rays all that bad. I agree that they have pitching issues that ultimately hold them back, but they hit, run and catch the baseball pretty well.

I'm a big fan of Cantu for the future, but I'm pretty sure they suck up the middle defensively. I'm always seeing lazy clips on SC and dropped balls like Cantu's against the sox the past 2 games.

They can definitely run and hit, that's why I say they need pitching depth. They are being destroyed in the 8th, and even though I've seen a bunch of Devil Ray games this season, I can't name a pitcher. Who was the guy last night, Hendrickson? Yeah.... they could use some pitching.

Madvora
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Wow, this is a new idea. I guess it's the same thing though. If you have certain pitchers that can't pitch, it doesn't matter when they pitch.

That will be a little strange seeing him work the match ups in the first couple of innings. Imagine if this game goes extra innings after something like that... ha!

The Racehorse
07-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Since Lou-Lou is trying new things, why doesn't he have his pitching staff play the field, and his position players take turns pitching.

Lou Piniella has officially become a caricature of himself. Lee Elia should verbally take Lou out behind the woodshed.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Lou is getting tired of trying to make chateaubriand out of dog feces. I'm pretty sure the TB brass made him some assurances they would try to improve the team when the wooed him from Seattle, but they sure haven't delivered. As much as people complain about the Yankees destroying baseball, IMO it's TB who has done more damage. This is a team that, between revenue sharing, network TV money and other shared revenues, gets $60M from the league...and has a <$30M payroll.

ISU_Jer
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Well then, instead of scoring late against the Drays we are going to score Early? Hey just as long as we have one more run than them by the end of the game, I'm happy.

This should be fun to watch.

Go Sox!

SOXPHILE
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
:jerry

"Hi Lou ! Say, listen, I've got an idea for your' lineup tonight...."

downstairs
07-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Well, I don't mean to say Lou is a hall of famer manager... but he's better than this.

Oh well... what the heck do I care?

I say they replace him with a College of Coaches. :cool:

balke
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm wondering who's going to start the game. If its their closer or something it would be kinda funny. He might just fear how much the Sox score in the first inning THAT MUCH. Might not be a bad idea trying to take the PODS factor out of the game early. We'll find out soon enough.

downstairs
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
http://www.canadianbaseballnews.com/BlueJaysPlayers/terbev.jpg

Hey Lou,

Just make sure your starter is actually in the bullpen, warming up, before you call him in.

Just sayin',

TB

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Well then, instead of scoring late against the Drays we are going to score Early?

And often.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Just hope Contreras doesn't fall in love with his fork ball.

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 11:49 AM

Can Carl Crawford play shortstop?? Can Travis Lee catch??:roflmao: :roflmao:

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I applaud this move. Clearly he's gone insane, but can you blame him?? It's not like anyone in Tampa Bay gives a damn about his team or the fact that ownership has been screwing him constantly since he got there. This team is 30 games under .500, definitely not going to make the playoffs... I mean, it's clear that he has to do something drastic and that he can afford to, because it's not like they're going anywhere either way.

TB's a good hitting team. Pinella's a good manager... and in this case he's making several points; 1. "WE NEED PITCHING" 2. "FIRE ME, PLEASE!" I just hope that Contreras freakin throws strikes tonight. That would be more than good enough for me, no matter how we do against this wacky ass pitching scheme.

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh, one other thing... Pinella managing the Cubs and Ozzie managing the Sox would make Chicago **EASILY** the most entertaining city to be a baseball fan in, quite possibly of all time.

SoxOnTop
07-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Lou is getting tired of trying to make chateaubriand out of dog feces. I'm pretty sure the TB brass made him some assurances they would try to improve the team when the wooed him from Seattle, but they sure haven't delivered. As much as people complain about the Yankees destroying baseball, IMO it's TB who has done more damage. This is a team that, between revenue sharing, network TV money and other shared revenues, gets $60M from the league...and has a <$30M payroll.

I agree whole-heartedly!!! It is an absolute disgrace. Lou came in set a franchise record with 70 victories last year and his reward is a slash in payroll, younger pitching and Hideo Nomo. The man demonstrated that he was putting the Rays on the right track and management demonstrated that they didn't give a flying fig except for making more money. Namoli needs to go. When you do not change GM's after 7 years of never even sniffing .500 you obviously don't care about the product on the field. Lou is the last person (behind the players) to blame here in this organization.

White Sox Josh
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't even begin to suggest that Lou is a bad manager. His career is stellar. In context, he's dealing with the worst of the worst situation here, not that he didn't ask for it. He left the M's, supposedly to live closer to home, but to my understanding, he was promised by TB that he'd get some players to work with. Well, he hasn't gotten that. So, I see his latest foolin' around as a message to the managers of the TB organization. "You don't give me starters, so I'll go with what I got." What else is there to do, except let the Yanks pile up 20 odds runs. The man is in a tight spot. However, when he has talent, like he did in Seattle, he's quite a brilliant skipper. I saw him make many a good move in my day. Keep it up Lou! And if they don't come through for you, at least make it entertaining, as you are.They are a couple good arms away from being a decent team. Did anyone here the stat that Melty had about the Devil Rays Bullpen. BRUTAL. I do like there lineup though.

jerry
07-06-2005, 12:50 PM
When you're 30 games under .500, you're bound to try anything.
On a side note, did anyone think Lou looked like a homeless guy today?

I agree. He has been looking like that lately, being in last place with the pitching staff he has will do that to anyone. :smile:

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Many years ago Tony LaRussa had an idea that he wanted to try. I don't know if he ever did this or not. He and Dave Duncan came up with the idea of using every one of their pitchers for three innings per game.

For example:

Game #1 would see pitchers 1,2 and 3
Game #2: 4,5, and 6
Game #3: 7,8, and 9
Game #4: 10, 11 and 1
Game #5: 2,3 and 4
and so forth.

The rational was that all pitchers would get enough work to keep them sharp without overusing them plus it would drive opponents nuts trying to 'match-up' (i.e. lefty vs. righty) especially in the later innings. LaRussa figured any opponent that tried to match up earlier in the game would have no position players sitting on the bench by the 9th inning giving all advantage to his pitching staff.

Interesting concept.

Lip

1951Campbell
07-06-2005, 01:37 PM

SOXPHILE beat me to it.

By the way Lou, sometimes conventional wisdom is hidebound and BS. But sometimes there's a reason why things aren't done a certain way.

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 01:41 PM
That's the way Little League pitching works!!! :smile:

What about nontraditional batting orders? We have a lot of multi-tool utility type hitters with decent speed, it seems like if one scattered the sluggers around (Bat frank three, pauly six, dye nine) with speed in front of each, it would make for a threat each and every inning... something like:

1. Uribe/Ozuna
2. AJ
3. Frank
4. S-Pod
5. Tadahito
6. Pauly
7. Rowand
8. Crede
9. Dye

hmm...

34 Inch Stick
07-06-2005, 01:48 PM
I don't think you can beat the logic of getting your best players onto the field for the greatest amount of time possible. Of course being 30 games under .500 makes you question whether your best players deserve to be on the field at all.

SOXPHILE
07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
SOXPHILE beat me to it.

By the way Lou, sometimes conventional wisdom is hidebound and BS. But sometimes there's a reason why things aren't done a certain way.

Heh heh heh...You and SOXSINCE70 were both thinking the same thing. I couldn't believe nobody had brought him up yet by the time I posted. Oh Jerry, how we miss thee.....

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 01:49 PM
why not save the time and just have two players play eachother in mvp baseball for the first three innings.

all the stats count!!!

i just hope scotty doesn't get injured in the game. would we have to sit him for the prescribed time?