PDA

View Full Version : Ross Gload

slobes
07-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Ross Gload is currently tearing up AAA. I heard he should be coming up either this series or next series. Who do you think should be sent down when he returns?

ND_Sox_Fan
07-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't think there is a doubt that it is Timo.

Banix12
07-06-2005, 12:02 AM
I don't think there is a doubt that it is Timo.

Yup, since Thomas came back and Everett became the main backup OF I believe Timo has only made 1 start. That's one start in a month. Coming off the bench Timo is historically an awful pinch hitter so unless you give him a spot start here and there he is pretty much useless except as a defensive substitute.

The only way he stays is if Kenny decides he's important to keep and decides to use the minor league option on Willie Harris.

It's one of those two though.

Chips
07-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Timo Perez is the obvious and most logical choice. Willie can be used to give Tadahito that off day every now and then. Timo is a bum.

patbooyah
07-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Timo Perez is the obvious and most logical choice. Willie can be used to give Tadahito that off day every now and then. Timo is a bum.

hard to hit well when you get to start once a month. and he had that game winning hit back in may. so i won't call him a bum.

MrRoboto83
07-06-2005, 12:54 AM
I think Walker will be going down. I bet Gload starts the first game he is called up on.

TaylorStSox
07-06-2005, 12:55 AM
I think Walker will be going down. I bet Gload starts the first game he is called up on.

I think Walker and Perez will be released to make room for Hernandez and Gload.

MrRoboto83
07-06-2005, 12:57 AM

I just don't see Timo going anywhere

Mr. White Sox
07-06-2005, 01:00 AM

OK, but then what? If Jenks succeeds, who do you send down when Marte comes back up?

NealCotts4Life
07-06-2005, 01:01 AM

I bet you weren't saying that when he hit that game winning single off the bench against the Angels. Although he should go down for Rossy, Timo's an alright player and was very quality last year subbing for Maggs. I have much love for Timo.

Chips
07-06-2005, 01:06 AM
I bet you weren't saying that when he hit that game winning single off the bench against the Angels. Although he should go down for Rossy, Timo's an alright player and was very quality last year subbing for Maggs. I have much love for Timo.

No, I wasn't saying that at all.

Banix12
07-06-2005, 01:14 AM
hard to hit well when you get to start once a month. and he had that game winning hit back in may. so i won't call him a bum.

He wasn't exactly hitting well before Thomas came back when he was getting one or two starts a week. He has had 2-3 important clutch hits this season so I won't call him a bum, however there is no denying that he is having a down year. Even his usually robust numbers with runners in scoring position are down quite a bit this season. His pinch hitting numbers are abysmal, though he's never been a good pinch hitter.

JRIG
07-06-2005, 06:23 AM
He wasn't exactly hitting well before Thomas came back when he was getting one or two starts a week. He has had 2-3 important clutch hits this season so I won't call him a bum, however there is no denying that he is having a down year. Even his usually robust numbers with runners in scoring position are down quite a bit this season. His pinch hitting numbers are abysmal, though he's never been a good pinch hitter.

He's not having a down year. He's having an average Timo Perez year. Which is not good. Especially for $1 million.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Who here thinks Everett might be at least slightly expendable if and when Gload comes back healthy and hitting well?

I don't necessarily want to get rid of Everett. However, think there are other needs the Sox have besides a backup DH, especially if Frank remains healthy and hitting late-inning, game-winning homers.

For example, if another team who is looking for a hitter offers a quality starting pitcher in return for Everett and prospects (or perhaps a three-team deal in which the Sox would get a quality veteran #4 starter), I don't want Kenny automatically to reject such a proposal just because he wants to keep Carl at all costs.

What I am saying is that with Frank hitting and seemingly healthy and Gload able to DH and play first base as a left-handed batter, Everett may be more useful to the Sox in a trade for a starting pitcher than he might be as the backup DH.

infohawk
07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Ross Gload is currently tearing up AAA. I heard he should be coming up either this series or next series. Who do you think should be sent down when he returns?

I think the real question is how much being able to rest Paulie every once in a while will help him. Paulie has been a warrior. He's had hardly any time to rest, except for team off-days. I would imagine the occasional break could help him tremendously.

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 09:06 AM
He's not having a down year. He's having an average Timo Perez year. Which is not good. Especially for $1 million.

Fire Kenny!

patbooyah
07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Who here thinks Everett might be at least slightly expendable if and when Gload comes back healthy and hitting well?

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

if gload can put up numbers similar to evy. and that will be tough.

EDIT: and i'd like to see the results of the all-star game first. seriously. if we have to win the series in an NL park it would be nice to have carl.

balke
07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Everett is NOT EXPENDABLE. I never want to see Gload in the field again. Ever.

DaleJRFan
07-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Fire Kenny!

:tealpolice:

Flight #24
07-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Everett is NOT EXPENDABLE. I never want to see Gload in the field again. Ever.

In the OF, maybe. But at 1B - he's actually better than Paulie.

MrRoboto83
07-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Everett is going nowhere, what happens if Jermaine, Rowand or Scotty go down to injury? It is nice to know we have a great backup to a lot of positions. Jermaine is an injury prone player, he is who I worry about.

balke
07-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes. Sorry, that's what I meant, should've said OF. He's great at 1B.

SOXfnNlansing
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
In the OF, maybe. But at 1B - he's actually better than Paulie. PK has 3 errors in 79 games. One error was when he threw the glove to JC and JC couldn't catch it. :tealpolice:

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 12:15 PM
PK has 3 errors in 79 games. One error was when he threw the glove to JC and JC couldn't catch it. :tealpolice:

So I take it you're a friend of Buddy Lee.

But even Buddy Lee's more debatable than this:

FIRST BASEMEN RARELY MAKE ERRORS. That is not exceptional, that's EXPECTED.

It's plays they DON'T make that matter.

Paul is fine at first base. Gload is very, very good at first base.

maurice
07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
:tealpolice:

*****! Gload defensively >> Konerko defensively.

Anything Konerko does well, Gload does just as well. The difference is that Gload's range is >> a fire hydrant's range.

SoxOnTop
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM

I don't necessarily want to get rid of Everett. However, think there are other needs the Sox have besides a backup DH, especially if Frank remains healthy and hitting late-inning, game-winning homers.

For example, if another team who is looking for a hitter offers a quality starting pitcher in return for Everett and prospects (or perhaps a three-team deal in which the Sox would get a quality veteran #4 starter), I don't want Kenny automatically to reject such a proposal just because he wants to keep Carl at all costs.

Earth to Sox fans looking to trade Carl Crawford for starting pitching. Lay off the .....

:bong:

The only teams who would want Carl are contending teams with outfield injuries who are not going to give up quality major league ready starting pitching. Especially since Carl is a FA at the end of the year. Any SP's we get will be from teams that are out of it and want McCarthy or Anderson or some other cheap prospect.

Plus, when is the last time you saw this kind of depth on the South Side. Do I need to remind you about 2001 or last year to emphasize the importance of depth especially with 3 injury prone veterans (Thomas, Dye, Crawford). Do you want Timo out there every day when Dye accidentally tears his ACL sliding into 2nd and Crawford has been shipped off for a long reliever? Do you need to see Borchard out there again to remember what it's like?

The Dude
07-06-2005, 12:25 PM

I'd call him a bum and would much rather have a gload on the bench instead of Timo. Basically, Timo gets a couple clutch hits each season to warrant him a spot on a team. While the rest of the time, he stinks up the joint. Not an above average fielder, quick but cant steal bases, doesnt hit well with RISP...etc. Also doesnt deserve the cash he's making.
Timo, dont let the door hit you in the ass!

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Earth to Sox fans looking to trade Carl Crawford for starting pitching. Lay off the...

The only teams who would want Carl are contending teams with outfield injuries who are not going to give up quality major league ready starting pitching. Especially since Carl is a FA at the end of the year. Any SP's we get will be from teams that are out of it and want McCarthy or Anderson or some other cheap prospect.

Plus, when is the last time you saw this kind of depth on the South Side. Do I need to remind you about 2001 or last year to emphasize the importance of depth especially with 3 injury prone veterans (Thomas, Dye, Crawford). Do you want Timo out there every day when Dye accidentally tears his ACL sliding into 2nd and Crawford has been shipped off for a long reliever? Do you need to see Borchard out there again to remember what it's like?

The Sox got Carl Crawford? YES!

:supernana: (We need a teal dancing banana smilie!)

To address your criticism of my point:

First, it was a HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for another GM to contact Kenny to become a third team in a trade in which one team wants to add a bat, but the other team wants prospects. I don't think Kenny should shop Everett, but he shouldn't hang up the phone if another team asks about him, either.

Team A (NL Wild Card contender) wants a bat who can play the outfield.

Team B is way out of the race, has a pitcher to give up but wants prospects in return.

Team A's GM doesn't want the Team B's pitcher to go to another NL Wild Card contender, but sees a bat as a greater need to his own team's (Team A) fortunes. So, Team A's GM calls Kenny, tells him about Team B's available veteran starting pitcher, and asks about Everett, and proposes this deal:

White Sox get Team B's veteran starting pitcher.
Team A gets Carl Everett.
Team B gets Team A's prospects.

Depending on how good Team B's starting pitcher is, Kenny could be asked to send a mid-grade prospect to Team B as well.

Kenny would be stupid to hang up the phone.

My point is, anytime you have an opportunity to improve your team, especially in a year when the Sox already are a strong contender for the World Series, you have to go for it.

The Dude
07-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Earth to Sox fans looking to trade Carl Crawford for starting pitching. Lay off the .....

:bong:

i think you should take some of your own advice. How can you confuse Crawford and Everett that many times in a post thats calling for him to stay on the team??? I'd think if you wanted to keep a player so bad, you'd take the time to learn his last name. Jeff Brantley, is that you???

SoxOnTop
07-06-2005, 01:31 PM
i think you should take some of your own advice. How can you confuse Crawford and Everett that many times in a post thats calling for him to stay on the team??? I'd think if you wanted to keep a player so bad, you'd take the time to learn his last name. Jeff Brantley, is that you???

SEND IN THE CLOSER, OZZIE, GOSH DARN IT!!!! GET DANTE HERMITSON OUT THERE!!!!

SoxOnTop
07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
The Sox got Carl Crawford? YES!

:supernana: (We need a teal dancing banana smilie!)

My bad, I was just ranting about the DRays and Lou and I guess I crossed up my wires. It should be obvious I was talking about Crazy Carl.

Tragg
07-06-2005, 01:39 PM

If we bring Gload up, we have 3 people who can play only first. We have only 1 bench player who can play the outfield, unless we plan on sending Willie back out there. That's too cumbersome and makes for an unflexible bench.

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 01:46 PM
If we bring Gload up, we have 3 people who can play only first. We have only 1 bench player who can play the outfield, unless we plan on sending Willie back out there. That's too cumbersome and makes for an unflexible bench.

It's more about having a really solid left handed bat off the bench than Timo's stellar utility infielding.

I'll settle for one utility infielder on the bench.

We have Carl to fill in at OF

We have Pablo to fill in at IF

Why do we need Timo around if we have a much better bat to replace him?

duke of dorwood
07-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Hot Carl is the epitomy of the professional ball player-I'd like to see him practicing at FIRST-I bet he could play there

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Trade Gload, not Carl!!! Might even get better value for him, depending on the team.

Tragg
07-06-2005, 02:32 PM
It's more about having a really solid left handed bat off the bench than Timo's stellar utility infielding.

I'll settle for one utility infielder on the bench.

We have Carl to fill in at OF

We have Pablo to fill in at IF

Why do we need Timo around if we have a much better bat to replace him?

I hear you; Timo is pretty mediocre. BUT it does make us a bit stiff from a bench perspective.

Trading Gload would bring nothing; trading Carl wouldn't be wise because we need his left-handed bat.

maurice
07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Screw Timo. 4 OFers + 2 utility guys who also play OF is plenty.

If somebody gets hurt, call up Anderson from AAA.

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I just don't see Timo going anywhere

Maybe a "mystery" trip to the DL.They do it all the time in baseketball.

SpammySosa
07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Timo gets a couple clutch hits each season to warrant him a spot on a team. While the rest of the time, he sticks up the joint.

And I thought a million dollar contract was good enough for a benchwarmer to not have to resort to this.:redneck

SOXSINCE'70
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
If we bring Gload up, we have 3 people who can play only first.

Gload has played some outfield.Not well,but he has played it.:D:

The Dude
07-07-2005, 11:18 AM
And I thought a million dollar contract was good enough for a benchwarmer to not have to resort to this.:redneck

nice one!:D: Thats what happens with no sleep. Damn summer Genetics class:angry::angry::angry:

tacosalbarojas
07-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Ross Gload is currently tearing up AAA. I heard he should be coming up either this series or next series. Who do you think should be sent down when he returns?Can we vote him back on the team. Someone get me a web address!

Pasqua's Posers
07-07-2005, 01:55 PM
:ralomar:
Bring me back to the club Kenny...

The Dude
07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
:ralomar:
Bring me back to the club Kenny...

:chunks