PDA

View Full Version : Add a LHRP?

jabrch
07-06-2005, 12:47 AM
With Damaso being nicked up, and at times shakey, and Cotts being young, I'm wondering what's out there in terms of LHRPs. I'd love a guy like Hammonds or King, but SD and STL are going to be in it for the long run and aren't trading those guys. What other lefties are out there, who are available, and on teams that will be trading players as we get closer to the deadline?

I know Wagner's name was tossed about - but he's more a pipedream. Schoenweiss has stunk this year, and last year, and the year before that. KC has that kid Sisco who they stole from the Cubs, but I doubt he's available. Eddie Guardado would be expensive - and he's got a shoulder problem - but he'd make a great setup guy. Oakland might give up Rincon - but then we'd have to deal with Oakland. Fuentes from Colorado? Scott Eyre has been effective - we can bring him home...

Who else is out there who is a strong lefty?

White Sox Josh
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
With Damaso being nicked up, and at times shakey, and Cotts being young, I'm wondering what's out there in terms of LHRPs. I'd love a guy like Hammonds or King, but SD and STL are going to be in it for the long run and aren't trading those guys. What other lefties are out there, who are available, and on teams that will be trading players as we get closer to the deadline?

I know Wagner's name was tossed about - but he's more a pipedream. Schoenweiss has stunk this year, and last year, and the year before that. KC has that kid Sisco who they stole from the Cubs, but I doubt he's available. Eddie Guardado would be expensive - and he's got a shoulder problem - but he'd make a great setup guy. Oakland might give up Rincon - but then we'd have to deal with Oakland. Fuentes from Colorado? Scott Eyre has been effective - we can bring him home...

Who else is out there who is a strong lefty?Jabroni at SoxTalk is campaigning for the Sox to get the great Mike Stanton. Yes him of the 7.44 ERA. So much so that he put a picture of Stanton in a Sox uniform on his avatar.

balke
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Wagner's really not a pipedream. Phils need to give up on the season if they can't find a pitcher, and even if they don't want to give up, they should dump Wagner and his mouthing off about wanting to win. Being that he's talking about retiring because he wants to win so much, he'd probably definitely come here and be welcomed with open arms. Big salary, we'd pay about half of it. Then they could take Marte, who's a great pitcher healthy, and a lefty. Works for everyone, and I think it might be the most plausible move for the Sox.

ONly problem. If we get Wagner, he'll want to close. Hermanson will want to close, and that could cause problems for the chemistry of the team.

anewman35
07-06-2005, 11:50 AM
ONly problem. If we get Wagner, he'll want to close. Hermanson will want to close, and that could cause problems for the chemistry of the team.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Hermanson really cares so much if he closes. Remember, he signed with us when we had Shingo lined up as the closer, if that's what he cared about he might have went somewhere else.

balke
07-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think Hermanson really cares so much if he closes. Remember, he signed with us when we had Shingo lined up as the closer, if that's what he cared about he might have went somewhere else.

That's true, but a couple days ago during the rain delay I believe, they interviewed Ozzie about a bunch of stuff including Hermanson's play. He mentioned he likes letting different people close occasionally, but Hermanson would always be a closer, no matter how good Politte is. Hermanson has apparently said he feels at his best, and most effective as a closer. He likes being in the tight situations at the end of the game, it helps him focus and throw better pitches.

I'm sure he'd step aside a little, I'd be more worried about Wagner. If we had Wagner, I'd bet Ozzie would want Hermanson to face righties, and Wagner lefties in certain closing situations. There might be tension and controversy if that doesn't work, or if someone gets upset by losing Save opportunities.

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 12:00 PM
I think they want to see how the new kid works out before looking at a trade - otherwise, they wouldn't have brought him up. That's my read on it anyways.

balke
07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I think they want to see how the new kid works out before looking at a trade - otherwise, they wouldn't have brought him up. That's my read on it anyways.

We also could be showcasing talent.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2005, 12:09 PM
I think they want to see how the new kid works out before looking at a trade - otherwise, they wouldn't have brought him up. That's my read on it anyways.I doubt Jenks has any bearing on the Sox getting a solid bullpen arm. They're looking for someone reliable with playoff experience. I don't think I'd worry about Wagner. He'll be so happy to be getting out of Philly and onto a good team that he'll do whatever he's asked to do. I'm confident Ozzie can handle him.

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 12:12 PM
This year has proved that you can win without going after the absolute top tier of free agents. I would hate to see us chase a "star" like Wagner, this team already has plenty of personality and clubhouse presence. My pipe-dream LRP would be Ray King from the Cards, but we'd probably have to give up prospects and/or one of our good utility guys (Pablo, Timo, Willie) to get him. Contender-to-contender trades are the most fun! Plus King's a setup guy, so Hermy keeps the job he has so thorougly earned.

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Regarding Wagner remember his statements from a few days ago, "that the Phillies are out of it..."

He appears to be trying to force his way out of town.

Lip