PDA

View Full Version : Where does Hawk go?

house215
07-05-2005, 11:10 PM
I noticed there has many times through out the last year or two that Hawk just either seems to leave the both or stop talking and then randomly comes back in. Does anyone know what is up with this?

Jerko
07-05-2005, 11:17 PM
:pee Maybe he goes to pee.

skobabe8
07-05-2005, 11:19 PM
He's mostly still there, just takes a backseat to DJ for a couple of innings.

Viva Medias B's
07-05-2005, 11:25 PM
We know what happened last season when he left the booth during a game at Minnesota.

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Its usually in the eigth and it drives me crazy, especially when the Sox hit a homerun like tonight and I have to hear Uh OH instead of "He looks up..."

Get back in the booth Hawk
:andy

chisoxfan23
07-05-2005, 11:38 PM
He's probably reading all the e-mails people send them, because of the interactive thing they do in the booth.

joe_tansey2004
07-06-2005, 12:02 AM
He's throwing back a few beers cause he works with Darrin Jackson, Mr. Personality.:gulp: I'd do the same thing if I were him.

Brian26
07-06-2005, 12:04 AM
I noticed there has many times through out the last year or two that Hawk just either seems to leave the both or stop talking and then randomly comes back in.

Last couple of years? He's been doing this since 1990 when he was teaming with Paciorek.

TomParrish79
07-06-2005, 12:15 AM
There was a game last year when he and DJ just sounded toasted in the booth. They were talking nonsense and laughing about stuff.

I laughed the entire game they were cracking me up. I want to say it was the Expos...I think we played them last year.

soxfan123
07-06-2005, 12:17 AM
We know what happened last season when he left the booth during a game at Minnesota.

I must have missed this one, what happened?

skobabe8
07-06-2005, 12:22 AM
There was a game last year when he and DJ just sounded toasted in the booth. They were talking nonsense and laughing about stuff.

I laughed the entire game they were cracking me up. I want to say it was the Expos...I think we played them last year.

You are correct, sir. It was one of those awful games in Montreal. I believe a horrible DJ joke was part of the equation somewhere.

TomParrish79
07-06-2005, 12:24 AM
I thought it was Montreal. Anyway those two drunk in the booth totally made up for the loss that night.

MrRoboto83
07-06-2005, 12:24 AM
DJ's home run call tonight was funny. "OH MY....... THREE RUNS BY BY"

I think he just doesn't know what to say when someone hits a home run, I still like DJ he is on our side!!

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Maybe he's eating.

Sometimes, you'll hear DJ doing it by himself, and then with some big moment he'll come out of nowhere and chime in. I can just imagine him taking a bathroom break, then sprinting back to the booth to chime in after hearing Rooney and Farmer call a big play (similar to how you hear the radio broadcast when walking around certain areas of the park)

EDIT: Figured out what it reminded me of, similar to Seinfeld where Steinbrenner starts running around looking for his calzones

samram
07-06-2005, 12:31 AM
I must have missed this one, what happened?

He almost got in a fight with someone with a permanent spot in the Roadhouse.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 10:24 AM
:hawk
"Autographs for the young ladies don't sign themselves."

irish rover
07-06-2005, 10:42 AM
you guys have prob heard the lastest from Bores and Burnsy with regards to Hawk and DJ

DJ made a comment that included "Rocket Surgery" then silence, then hawk said somethig that included "Rocket Science" then silence then DJ said something that included "Brain Science" then silence

it seemed during the silence they were trying to hold back laughing

it was pretty funny

rhkchiro
07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
its standard proceedure for the color guy to take over play by play in the later innings, like farmer and rooney, he probably grabs a beer and hits the john.

are these guys bad or is it just me?

mccoydp
07-06-2005, 12:03 PM
If you're referring to Hawk and DJ, it's just you.

Steakpita
07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Definitely just you. They're the best commentators I've ever heard. It makes listening to any game on ESPN or, really, any other announcing team pretty painful. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but Hawk and DJ deserve this job for life.

I especially love when they're drunk in the booth. They should really play a "White Sox Score Run/Get Strikeout Drinking Game" up there sometime. Maybe i'll email and suggest it.

pythons007
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Last couple of years? He's been doing this since 1990 when he was teaming with Paciorek.

I miss Wimpy!!! Bring him back!!! Does anyone know why is left?

downstairs
07-06-2005, 12:22 PM
So are announcers allowed to drink during the game?

I always wondered...

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
I miss Wimpy!!! Bring him back!!! Does anyone know why is left?
Here's a thread on the subject (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51673&highlight=paciorek).

Sonik22
07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
They are definately the best, especially compared to the sCrUBS crap anouncers. I sure hope lee is out until the allstar break because if i tune in to hear " and that ball is out of here ! Home run for Dlee!" with that horrible high voice somebody is getting hurt. Those two are the worst!

chisox2005
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Thursday thru Sunday he is catching up on the PGA Tour tourneys.

Skippy
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I have the MLB Extra Innings package on Comcast digital cable, and if anyone doesn't like Hawk and DJ, they should be forced to listen to a Texas Rangers broadcast, a Diamondbacks broadcast, or any other broadcast. I CANNOT tolerate any other current broadcast team besided Hawk and DJ or Rooney and Farmer.

FedEx227
07-06-2005, 02:24 PM
DJ made a comment that included "Rocket Surgery" then silence, then hawk said somethig that included "Rocket Science" then silence then DJ said something that included "Brain Science" then silence

I'm glad somebody else caught that, I was laughing so much when that happened.

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 02:28 PM
I have the MLB Extra Innings package on Comcast digital cable, and if anyone doesn't like Hawk and DJ, they should be forced to listen to a Texas Rangers broadcast, a Diamondbacks broadcast, or any other broadcast. I CANNOT tolerate any other current broadcast team besided Hawk and DJ or Rooney and Farmer.
You can put that on the board. :cool: While you're at it, you can add Seattle, Cleveland, Minnesota, Toronto, Oakland and Tampa broadcasters to the list. They are all DULLSVILLE.

BTW: congrats on the creepiest sig ever, Skippy. :o:

Skippy
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Thank you. 26 years of horror films tends to dement the sense of humor. :bashbro Just like 26 years of steriods have demented this guys BRAIN.

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 02:51 PM
he's reaching that time in life when the ol' kidneys can be rather

overactive....I sure enjoy getting up a couple times each night to pee

kittle545feet
07-06-2005, 03:03 PM
They are definately the best, especially compared to the sCrUBS crap anouncers. I sure hope lee is out until the allstar break because if i tune in to hear " and that ball is out of here ! Home run for Dlee!" with that horrible high voice somebody is getting hurt. Those two are the worst!He is doing the play by play for the Cubs on TV.

SOXfnNlansing
07-06-2005, 03:08 PM
He's throwing back a few beers cause he works with Darrin Jackson, Mr. Personality.:gulp: I'd do the same thing if I were him. I'm waiting for the day that DJ gets so loaded that Hawk talks him into singing

SOXfnNlansing
07-06-2005, 03:11 PM
its standard proceedure for the color guy to take over play by play in the later innings, like farmer and rooney, he probably grabs a beer and hits the john.

are these guys bad or is it just me? It's just you

Stroker Ace
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I have the MLB Extra Innings package on Comcast digital cable, and if anyone doesn't like Hawk and DJ, they should be forced to listen to a Texas Rangers broadcast, a Diamondbacks broadcast, or any other broadcast. I CANNOT tolerate any other current broadcast team besided Hawk and DJ or Rooney and Farmer.Me too. I have a hard time listening to Mets games when I'm out in NY because the Sox announcers are so good.

VA_GoGoSox
07-06-2005, 04:53 PM
You are correct, sir. It was one of those awful games in Montreal. I believe a horrible DJ joke was part of the equation somewhere.

I believe that joke was "what did the snail riding on the back of a turtle say?"...."WEEEEEEEEE!"

Hawk and DJ were strawberried that game. I believe the expos were completing a sweep of the Sox, but I at least laughed occasionally because Hawk and DJ were so entertaining.:gulp:

RKMeibalane
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM

It was. Both teams scored in double-figures that night. Orlando Cabera had a career game, driving in something like ten runs. That was the night that DJ made a stupid joke about a snail riding on a turtle's back and saying, "WHEEE!"

rhkchiro
07-08-2005, 11:47 AM

are these guys bad or is it just me?

I tend to compare to radio, which isn't fair. I grew up listening to HOFer Ernie Harwell on radio. On TV in was George Kell and Al Kaline. If you could of only heard a near tears Kaline do the color for the "disco demolition" game you would have died!

Come to think of it, I can't stand Joe Morgan a Chip Carrey.

also I think DJ is more than Drunk, I think he's stoned! Come on tose slit eyes and crooked grin!

good quote by ernie harwell...

"The greatest single moment I've ever known in Detroit was Jim Northrup's (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=northji01) triple in the seventh game of the World Series (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1968ws.shtml) in St. Louis. It was a stunning moment because not only were the Tigers winning a world championship that meant so much to an entire city, they were beating the best pitcher I ever sawóBob Gibson (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=gibsobo01)."

rhkchiro
07-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Plus Hawk is/was a swinger!?

see link to SI cover

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1968/0902.html

is this our beloved hawk?

TornLabrum
07-08-2005, 12:01 PM
also I think DJ is more than Drunk, I think he's stoned! Come on tose slit eyes and crooked grin!

And of course you have evidence for this. Otherwise you wouldn't be saying it.

I don't think this is a good way to start your WSI career.

Ron Karkovice
07-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Someone posted earlier that he is probably getting something to eat... One of the emails to Hawk and DJ the other day was asking what the two eating during a broadcast- DJ said something like every once in a while he'll bring some time of health bar, and Hawk clarified "nothing." Then he added a stick of wrigley gum and 5-7 diet pepsis.

MsSoxVixen22
07-08-2005, 12:05 PM
The other nite someone emailed Hawk and DJ asking if they ate or drank during the game. They both said NO. I was like come one you work at the Cell and can't eat or drink? You know Hawk gets a cotton candy! :smile: I think Hawk has to go to the bathroom alot.

Brian26
07-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Someone posted earlier that he is probably getting something to eat... One of the emails to Hawk and DJ the other day was asking what the two eating during a broadcast- DJ said something like every once in a while he'll bring some time of health bar, and Hawk clarified "nothing." Then he added a stick of wrigley gum and 5-7 diet pepsis.

5 to 7 Diet Pepsis? Mercy!

Jerko
07-08-2005, 12:56 PM
5 to 7 Diet Pepsis? Mercy!

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/37763/200.jpg

Heffalump
07-08-2005, 01:58 PM

You beat me to it..........Hawk fan's just have to realize that his Depends don't change themselves!!

the_valenstache
07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
HAWK CHEWS WRIGLEY?!? :o: (Someone had to...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/VoorheesX2/EvilBK.jpg

Sorry for the post-jack, but...
Someone should really photoshop a Sox logo over the BK, and a backwards Twins hat on that guy's head. That sig is classic. I would if I had the wares.

Ron Karkovice
07-08-2005, 03:32 PM

God, I read that as "Deep end" :mad:

rhkchiro
07-08-2005, 04:45 PM
And of course you have evidence for this. Otherwise you wouldn't be saying it.

I don't think this is a good way to start your WSI career.

Ya you might be right, just making an observation that I've made while watching the games on TV with other people. Didn't realize we had to have to use the rules of jounalism on this site.

WLL1855
07-08-2005, 06:42 PM
So are announcers allowed to drink during the game?

I always wondered...

Forgot the teal. Fixed it for you.

Exhibit A - Harry Carey

Exhibit B - Mike Shannon

There are countless others.

Chips
07-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Plus Hawk is/was a swinger!?

see link to SI cover

http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/1968/0902.html

is this our beloved hawk?

That's a great cover. The Dude has an original copy of that magazine it looks great. Hawk is the man.

Best announcers in the game.