PDA

View Full Version : The "sign guy"

AnkleSox
07-05-2005, 11:07 PM
I attended the game on the fourth, which unfortunately happened to be my first of the year, and I do have to say it's the most fun I've had all summer, even if I sat in a BS rain delay for 2 hours.

But now to the point, does anyone know what I'm talking about when I say "sign guy"? We were in section 102 in right field, and my friends were talking before the game about how they hope the sign guy is somewhere near our section. Well, I was quite confused for some time until the game finally started, and to all the right field fans' amusement, apparently the sign guy was there.

It's a short funny looking old man who seems to have a different sign to hold up for every player or situation. Things like "dye-namite," "Aaron's rolling," "Tad-a-hero," and my personal favorite when the D-rays hit a home run near our section, "Only fools throw back free balls."

The best thing about this guy is he holds up the sign (which is double sided for everyone's convenience), makes sure he gets a huge reaction, and does it all with virtually no emotion. On several occasions we had the whole section chanting "sign guy" after a good sox play, yet he remained completely stoic. It was amazing.

So has anyone seen this guy? From what I've heard from my buddies they've seen him at a few games, and not always in the same section. He's definitely a great addition to any crowd, and made my first game of the year even that much more amazing. I've never laughed so much at stupidly clever signs in my life.

tebman
07-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I hope he attracts imitators. For years in the old ballpark the Sox Supporters in the leftfield seats had the funniest and most clever signs in MLB. Layla is an occasional poster here who was part of that group in the late 70s/early 80s.

The Sox need to reclaim the title of clever-fan-sign champs that they held for many years.

whitesoxwilkes
07-05-2005, 11:44 PM
I attended the game on the fourth, which unfortunately happened to be my first of the year, and I do have to say it's the most fun I've had all summer, even if I sat in a BS rain delay for 2 hours.

But now to the point, does anyone know what I'm talking about when I say "sign guy"? We were in section 102 in right field, and my friends were talking before the game about how they hope the sign guy is somewhere near our section. Well, I was quite confused for some time until the game finally started, and to all the right field fans' amusement, apparently the sign guy was there.

It's a short funny looking old man who seems to have a different sign to hold up for every player or situation. Things like "dye-namite," "Aaron's rolling," "Tad-a-hero," and my personal favorite when the D-rays hit a home run near our section, "Only fools throw back free balls."

The best thing about this guy is he holds up the sign (which is double sided for everyone's convenience), makes sure he gets a huge reaction, and does it all with virtually no emotion. On several occasions we had the whole section chanting "sign guy" after a good sox play, yet he remained completely stoic. It was amazing.

So has anyone seen this guy? From what I've heard from my buddies they've seen him at a few games, and not always in the same section. He's definitely a great addition to any crowd, and made my first game of the year even that much more amazing. I've never laughed so much at stupidly clever signs in my life.

I was starting to wonder what became of him, and I'm glad he's still around. He used to always sit in one of the sections just to the right of the plate, but I hadn't seen him in 3 or 4 years.

Go Go Everetts
07-06-2005, 01:01 AM
I recall seeing him in the bleachers at a game last season. I also saw his Dye-Na-Myte sign on the news yesterday during the highlights.

Pulaski
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I recall seeing him in the bleachers at a game last season. I also saw his Dye-Na-Myte sign on the news yesterday during the highlights.

There is another sign guy in Section 161 that seems to be on the Jumbo-Tron all the time. I think he has a Hit-Run package so he should be there tonight.

ramorgan1
07-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I was there on the 4th and my friends and i thought he was cool too... unfortunately it's not me. Juan-derful!

skottyj242
07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Kind of an older guy with white hair and white beard? I've seen him for years behind home plate but I haven't seen him at all this year. Maybe he got displaced because of the scout seats?

mike squires
07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Isn't it funny you don't see guys like "Crede's crew" or the people like the "sign guy" or the "get up guy" post here. You would think these guys are so die hard they would have heard of this place...

BridgePortNative
07-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I was sitting in right field on the game vs. Royals when McCarthy pitched, I have seen the "Trust in Dustin" and the "only Fools Throw Back Free Balls" I agree this guy is completely emotionless.

ISU_Jer
07-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Ya, I was at the game on the 4th. I was in section 103, row 6, and he great signs. Kinda looks like Santa? HAHA just kidding, he is probably on the board some where. My fav, is when Huff and Crawford (I think Green's hit the center field batters eye thing) hit their homers into the crowd and everyone is screaming "throw it back," the sign guy has a great one "Only fools throw back a free ball."

Go Sox!

PS: Keep voting for POD!

TornLabrum
07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Isn't it funny you don't see guys like "Crede's crew" or the people like the "sign guy" or the "get up guy" post here. You would think these guys are so die hard they would have heard of this place...

The get up guy posted here once or twice but left in a huff when another person he knew who came here posting supposed inside information was treated rather rudely.

rdwj
07-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Taht sign guy is great. My personal favorite is one I saw him use when a manager came out to talk to a pitcher who wasn't doing well. It said...

Keep Him In - He's Fine!

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 01:23 PM
the get up guy posts rather regularly at whitesox.com

mike squires
07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
There's a message board on WhiteSox.com??? :D: Seriously, I've never even gone there. This is the ONLY one I need.:cool:

Rocklive99
07-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Taht sign guy is great. My personal favorite is one I saw him use when a manager came out to talk to a pitcher who wasn't doing well. It said...

Keep Him In - He's Fine!
Haha I remember when the cameras showed that one and Hawk got a kick out of it, I think it was last year