PDA

View Full Version : The Big Hurt Factor

OzzieBall2005
07-05-2005, 09:24 PM
I've been doing some number crunching and seeing Frank Thomas' impact on this ballclub since his return:

Since May 30th, the SOX are 19-5 (.792) in games in which he has played and are 4-4 (.500) w/o him in the lineup.

The offense is averaging 5.83 runs with him in the lineup and 4.25 w/o him.

I understand the games without him are a small sample size, but the guy has a presence that can't go unnoticed.

Welp...........as I am typing this he just hit a bomb. Goodness.

windycityson
07-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Put It On Theee Boooooaaaarrrrrdddd.........yesss!!!!!!!!

havelj
07-05-2005, 09:28 PM

Incredible timing!

:gulp:

Taliesinrk
07-05-2005, 09:30 PM
:bandance:YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

PicktoCLick72
07-05-2005, 09:32 PM
That timing is rediculous.

broker3d
07-05-2005, 09:33 PM
The Big Hurt Factor registers off the charts. I can't believe the guy already has 10 dingers.

SABRSox
07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
The Big Hurt Factor registers off the charts. I can't believe the guy already has 10 dingers.

25 HR is definetly not out of the questions this year for Frank. Maybe more. And considering all the time he's missed, that is very, very impressive.

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
Incredible...i've never been one of the "bashers" when it comes to the Big Hurt. I really hope our GM is a stand up man and gives Frank his retirement contract when the current contract expires.

Close it for us Dustin!!!

skobabe8
I've been doing some number crunching and seeing Frank Thomas' impact on this ballclub since his return:

Since May 30th, the SOX are 19-5 (.792) in games in which he has played and are 4-4 (.500) w/o him in the lineup.

I understand the games without him are a small sample size, but the guy has a presence that can't go unnoticed.

Key word being BOMB. That guy in the scout seats was getting ready to celebrate before Frank even made contact. Thats how on top of that pitch the big man was.

shoota
07-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Incredible timing!

:gulp:

haha, nice job DJ.

delben91
07-05-2005, 09:40 PM

The Big Hurt is a force to be reckoned with to put it mildly. Man, what a game, even if the local feed kept it off my Extra Innings and I was "watching" on CBS Sportsline. Amazing, just absolutely amazing.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2005, 09:43 PM

Amazing.

Given the fact that that team averages 1.58 more runs per game when he plays, and given that they play nearly .800 ball when he starts, there is no reason - other than injury - for him to sit out any game whatsoever.

If and when Gload comes back healthy, Carl Everett is expendable.

Sonik22
07-05-2005, 09:54 PM
If it takes everett to get a starter that make the trade! Gload is ready 2-4 at charlotte with 2 hr's off schilling.

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2005, 09:54 PM
Amazing.

Given the fact that that team averages 1.58 more runs per game when he plays, and given that they play nearly .800 ball when he starts, there is no reason - other than injury - for him to sit out any game whatsoever.

If and when Gload comes back healthy, Carl Everett is expendable.

How about we keep Jurassic Carl as insurance and get rid of Timo? Although I wouldnt be able to hear...
:hawk
Cmon Timo

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2005, 10:01 PM
How about we keep Jurassic Carl as insurance and get rid of Timo?

Timo also is expendable. That much is obvious.

Gload brings most of the same things to the table as Everett, plus the ability to back up at first base for less money. Everett could gain the Sox more in a trade than could Gload.

The big variable, of course, is Frank's health and his ability to continue to produce at the level he has to date. I agree it would be good to keep Everett as insurance.

However, if another team wanted Everett plus prospects for a quality #4/#5 starter in a trade, I would hope that Kenny would not say "no" to an opportunity to fill a hole just to keep Carl as "insurance."

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Timo also is expendable. That much is obvious.

Gload brings most of the same things to the table as Everett, plus the ability to back up at first base for less money. Everett could gain the Sox more in a trade than could Gload.

The big variable, of course, is Frank's health and his ability to continue to produce at the level he has to date. I agree it would be good to keep Everett as insurance.

However, if another team wanted Everett plus prospects for a quality #4/#5 starter in a trade, I would hope that Kenny would not say "no" to an opportunity to fill a hole just to keep Carl as "insurance."

AGREED, 100%
:andy

jabrch
07-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Frank used to get us a lockdown lefty arm in the pen either.

SABRSox
07-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Frank used to get us a lockdown lefty arm in the pen either.

Suggesting the Sox trade Frank? No way, sir. That I do not support.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-05-2005, 11:56 PM

I think he means Carl.

BTW, there are only a few players in baseball that have the impact on a lineup like Frank does. We are fortunate to have one of the best ever!

infohawk
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM

I understand where you are coming from, but I have grave reservations about parting with Everett. My biggest concern is seeing Frank (or Dye) get hurt and being a bat short after the trade deadline with no ability to do much about it. Both Frank and Dye have had some history of injury over the last few years. This team has just enough offense to be dangerous, but not much surplus. I know many on this board want to see what Brian Anderson can do, but I don't want to have to rely on him during a pennant drive. I'd rather break him in as a fourth outfielder.

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 09:36 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but I have grave reservations of parting with Everett. My biggest concern is seeing Frank (or Dye) get hurt and being a bat short after the trade deadline with no ability to do much about it. Both Frank and Dye have had some history of injury over the last few years. This team has just enough offense to be dangerous, but not much surplus. I know many on this board want to see what Brian Anderson can do, but I don't want to have to rely on him during a pennant drive. I'd rather break him in as a fourth outfielder.

And I also understand your argument. I'm just thinking about what would be more important to the team in the playoffs: a backup DH/OF with a nice bat, or a starting pitcher.

Flight #24
07-06-2005, 09:45 AM
No way, no how Frank Thomas gets traded, and if Gload is back and hitting well, then one of he or Carl can be expendable. I could see a scenario where a smaller market team would prefer Gload because he's cheap and can play the field (making him more attractive to NL teams). I wouldn't be surprised to see Ross get some decent PT once he's back to make him a possible trade candidate. A lefty 1B who fields well, slugs well, hits for a decent average, and is cheap will be a solid commodity even if he's not a totally known quantity.

On another note, allow me to be the first to predict that Frank Thomas will hit 33HR in 2005. Yes, I know that would be a 50-HR pace for a full season, but that's what you get from a top-flight, hall of fame hitter.

ISU_Jer
07-06-2005, 11:23 AM
In between voting for Scotty and working, I looked at the othe MLB headlines and noticed that Frank is one of MLB's top headlines. "No doubting Thomas in the clutch"

Go Sox!

DaleJRFan
07-06-2005, 11:34 AM
That timing is rediculous.

rediculous? :cool:

TornLabrum
07-06-2005, 01:26 PM
rediculous? :cool:

Yeah, you know, subject to redicule.

my5thbench
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
I can't imagine that any team would give up a true starter for Carl...

better just keep him