PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks debut

JermaineDye05
07-05-2005, 06:17 PM
hey seeing as he was just called up, theres a good chance jenks could debut on the mound for us, pending on the score and how freddy's doing, how do you see him fairing against the D-Rays

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 06:19 PM
hopefully if the game is close they don't use him. If it's a 5 run lead fine. Work him in little by little.

JermaineDye05
07-05-2005, 06:53 PM
does anyone know what kind of pitches jenks brings to the table

maurice
07-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Very hard fastball. 12-to-6 curveball.

If you want more info, run a search. There's lots of info in other threads.

JermaineDye05
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
ah I see he has a hard fast ball from high 90s to low 100s and a good curve, says hes had problems, very agressive and a drunk at least thats what i read on some other forum, then again it was from 2003 so that could all be old news

Chicago83
07-06-2005, 01:40 AM
I heard a story somewhere about how he gets drunk and burns himself with cigarretes, that's just the kind of guy I want throwing 100 MPH fastballs for us. Hopefully he can get them over the plate.

Mr. White Sox
07-06-2005, 01:43 AM
I heard a story somewhere about how he gets drunk and burns himself with cigarretes, that's just the kind of guy I want throwing 100 MPH fastballs for us. Hopefully he can get them over the plate.

Well, he's stopped all of that :smile:...I just read he's happily married with two kids. No more cigarette burning for Jenks :).

RedPinStripes
07-06-2005, 05:22 AM

Sounds like a closer to me. :D:

CleeFan101
07-06-2005, 06:18 AM
He has had many character problems in the past but supposedly he has worked very hard to put those behind him this season. The best thing about him is that his curve is supposedly a better pitch than his fastball which is saying something since his fastball can reach 101.... Basicly he has some of the nastiest stuff you will ever see from a guy and even if he gets billy koch disease and fastball dies down to 94 he should still be able to stay a solid reliever with that curve of his.

Ol' No. 2
07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
He has had many character problems in the past but supposedly he has worked very hard to put those behind him this season. The best thing about him is that his curve is supposedly a better pitch than his fastball which is saying something since his fastball can reach 101.... Basicly he has some of the nastiest stuff you will ever see from a guy and even if he gets billy koch disease and fastball dies down to 94 he should still be able to stay a solid reliever with that curve of his.A reputation as a bit of a loose cannon is not necessarily a bad thing for a reliever - especially one who throws as hard as he does and with a good curveball to buckle hitter's knees.

balke
07-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Although its possible he could start, I doubt it. The article in the Trib makes it sound as though he's strictly relief. He was ranked as the 5th best prospect by Baseball Prospectus last year, and throws some fire. Has 47 K's in 40 IP in Birmingham, and 18 Saves. I'm kinda optimistic about him coming up, could be really good. Then again, 98 MPH fastball fly really far if they are straight. If they aren't straight, we could have a walker on our hands.

fquaye149
07-06-2005, 11:24 AM
A reputation as a bit of a loose cannon is not necessarily a bad thing for a reliever - especially one who throws as hard as he does and with a good curveball to buckle hitter's knees.

http://www.spitemag.com/bile/lineup/art/vaughn.jpg
"Hey Jenks - Call it the intimidator"

soxfanreggie
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I can't wait to see him in action. With the big fastball and big curve, I could see him being a Rodriguez (Anaheim) type reliever who had the big fastball and slider as his two main pitches. Does Jenks throw anything else...a change or 2 seamer?

EastCoastSoxFan
07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
http://www.spitemag.com/bile/lineup/art/vaughn.jpg

From what I've read about Jenks, it sounds like he almost did time in the California Penal League once...