PDA

View Full Version : Winning Ugly 20 Years Later DVD

VeeckAsInWreck
07-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I got a copy at the park last night and I couldn't see it on my dvd player. :(:

I tried playing it on a panasonic dvd player and my PS2. Not sure if this has been discussed already, has anyone else encountered this problem?

mrwag
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I almost picked up a copy when I was in town a few weeks ago, but didn't want to part with $30. Can someone tell me if it's any good? I checked Ebay, but no copies yet.

broker3d
07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
where do you get it. I'd love to see it. I have a hard time believing it is $30.

Tragg
07-05-2005, 09:58 PM
It's overpriced, but I'd buy one.

After we clinched in 83, the sun times did a 2 page color spread with with the headline "winning ugly is...beautiful" and then pictures of all the sox players. A friend of mine who was in Chicago at the time saved it for me and I framed it and it still adorns the wall in my den.

LuzinskiFan
07-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I get a read disc error as well on my PS2. I'm going to email the Sox and ask them to send me one that works. I'll keep you posted and let me know if you hear anything too.

mike squires
07-06-2005, 12:01 AM
The video is expensive. Ii paid 30 for VHS cause that is all they had at the time. It is great. It shows a young Greg Walker smashing a homerun off the facade on a cold rainy April against Texas....I laugh every time The Bull scores from 1st on a triple by Whimpy...It shows Luzinski's roof shot that I saw in person and so many other great hilights. It's great to hear McConnell and Drysdale make the calls. The best although hard to swallow are the playoff highlights. They break it down game by game and show some interesting stuff. I totally forgot (and still don't remember) Cruz hitting one down the line that was called foul. It would have scored two. I've slowed it down many times and still can't tell if it was fair or foul, the bean ball kitty took in the knee and Dotson's retaliation on Ripkin, The Dybbers base blunder with a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! called out by Drysdale and of course Burns' gritty perormance.

YES, GET IT!!!

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2005, 01:45 PM
I get a read disc error as well on my PS2. I'm going to email the Sox and ask them to send me one that works. I'll keep you posted and let me know if you hear anything too.

I called the gift shop at the cell and they gave me two options:

a) I can go in person to the gift shop and exchange it for another copy. (they are open M-F 10am-4pm)

or

b) Mail it in with a copy of the receipt and a note detailing what I want.
Mail it to:
333 W. 35th St.
Chicago, IL 60616

Being that I work when the shop is open, it looks like I'll have to either take the dvd to a future game, or do snail mail.

Madvora
07-07-2005, 01:49 PM
The Dybbers base blunder with a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! called out by Drysdale and of course Burns' gritty perormance.

Can you please explain the Dybzynski play? I hear this all the time, but I was only 6 in 1983 and all I know is that he over ran 2nd base.
Anyone can take this one. I want to know as much as you can. The score, the game, the situation...

MIgrenade
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I got a copy at the park last night and I couldn't see it on my dvd player. :(:

I tried playing it on a panasonic dvd player and my PS2. Not sure if this has been discussed already, has anyone else encountered this problem?

If it's a gold disc DVD it won't work on a PS2 anyway so watch out for that. But there is no reason it shouldn't work in the other player.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2005, 02:02 PM
If it's a gold disc DVD it won't work on a PS2 anyway so watch out for that. But there is no reason it shouldn't work in the other player.

Actually, it's on a purple disc. I almost got it to play on my PS2. I got as far as the dvd menu screen then it said it was unable to read the disc.

I also tried it on two other dvd players (panasonic & samsung) and wasn't able to get them to play it.

mike squires
07-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Can you please explain the Dybzynski play? I hear this all the time, but I was only 6 in 1983 and all I know is that he over ran 2nd base.
Anyone can take this one. I want to know as much as you can. The score, the game, the situation...

Dybzinski was on first and someone hit a hot shot to left. Vance Law held up at third but Dybber kept running and got caught between 2nd and 3rd. Dybber's body language said it all. It looked like his entire body just deflated. He ran back to second. The O's threw to second but didn't actually get him out because Law broke for home. There was a collision at the place and Law barreled into Dempsey hard. It's interesting to note Dempsey never tags Law with the ball but that being said I don't think Law ever tuoched home either. Good stuff but very painful nontheless.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-07-2005, 05:02 PM
The video is expensive. Ii paid 30 for VHS cause that is all they had at the time. It is great. It shows a young Greg Walker smashing a homerun off the facade on a cold rainy April against Texas....I laugh every time The Bull scores from 1st on a triple by Whimpy...It shows Luzinski's roof shot that I saw in person and so many other great hilights. It's great to hear McConnell and Drysdale make the calls. The best although hard to swallow are the playoff highlights. They break it down game by game and show some interesting stuff. I totally forgot (and still don't remember) Cruz hitting one down the line that was called foul. It would have scored two. I've slowed it down many times and still can't tell if it was fair or foul, the bean ball kitty took in the knee and Dotson's retaliation on Ripkin, The Dybbers base blunder with a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! called out by Drysdale and of course Burns' gritty perormance.

YES, GET IT!!!

Sounds great, I can't wait to watch it. My question to you is if this is more concentrated to the reunion or is it more a 1983 highlight reel?

Either way, I can't wait to see it. Hopefully the Sox release more stuff from their archives. A 1977 South Side Hitmen or a Final Season at Old Comiskey Park DVD would also be great to see as a future release.

mike squires
07-07-2005, 07:17 PM
It ultimatly documents the entire season with interviews from most of the players. It's a nice combination of both if you ask me. If you liked that 83 team you will enjoy this DVD. IMO, it could have showed more highlights but it's still great nontheless...