PDA

View Full Version : 1st half report cards

maurice
07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
As usual, players are graded on a scale of 1-5, based on my subjective pre-season expectations. 5 = greatly exceeded my expectations, 4 = exceeded my expectations, 3 = met my expectations, 2 = didnít meet my expectations, and 1 = really really bad.

6 - Thomas - Putting up XBox numbers so far with a HR every 7 ABs. Not bad for a fellow coming off of a broken ankle.

5 - Podsednik - Quickly becoming a fan favorite on the South Side. Gives the Sox what 90+% of MLB teams are lacking -- a legitimate leadoff threat.
5 - Widger - Inflated 1st quarter numbers have slipped, but remember that he entered camp as the 4th catcher and was playing softball last year.
5 - Garland - This All Star leads the world with 13 wins.
5 - Buehrle - Competing with Garland for the "AL 1st-half Cy Young."
5 - Hermanson - Outstanding. The most glaring All-Star snub.
5 - Politte - Arguably the most effective reliever in baseball this season.
5 - Cotts - The lefthanded version of Politte. What happened to all the Cotts haters? They were legion. Maybe a switch to the rotation next year?

4 - Pierzynski - Still doing a great job with the staff. Surprising power so far. I expect the AVE to rise significantly in the 2nd half.
4 - Iguchi - Very good overall player. Great pick-up by KW, and a key to the Ozzie-ball transition.
4 - Dye - Don't look now, but he's hitting .271 with 18 HR and 44 RBI. The arrow is pointing straight up on this one.
4 - Everett - Great leadership this season. Still 2nd on the team in RBI, despite limited PT. It'd be nice if he could get the OBP up, though.
4 - Ozuna - Dark horse candidate in spring training has done everything the team has asked. Solid utility player in the Ozzie-ball mold.
4 - Garcia - Unsung hero of the rotation. His great performance this season lags only slightly behind Garland and Buehrle.

3 - Uribe - As expected, world-class D and inconsistent offense. Still a surprisingly good situational hitter.
3 - Harris - Has been adequate in very limited action. More aggressive on the bases this season, resulting in 7 SB in 9 attempts. Iguchi and Ozuna may have reduced him to trade bait.
3 - Hernandez - Generally solid when he pitches. Often injured. Pretty much exactly what I expected.
3 - Contreras - Great stuff but, as always, maddeningly refuses to throw strikes. Overall numbers are better than many fans realize.
3 - McCarthy - Extremely inconsistent, but that's what you should expect from a 21 year old who has very little experience in the high minors. Trade bait to add a 4th top-of-the-rotation starter?
3 - Marte - Good numbers but early overuse has led to a DL stint. Hopefully, he'll come back well-rested for the 2nd half.

2 - Konerko - All Star my ass. Still hitting only .247 -- worse with RiSP. A surging Dye is threatening to pass Konerko in virtually all offensive categories. Dye's already ahead in AVE, SLG, OPS, 2B, 3B, TB, and SB.
2 - Rowand - Slight disappointment in the early going. Still a very solid all-around performer (.276 AVE, 16 2B, 11 SBs). Expect more HR in the 2nd half, especially if Ozzie stops jerking him around the lineup.
2 - Crede - His crappy numbers this season are a bit lower than his crappy career numbers. Still generally good D, but his failure to improve is baffling. His "new swing" is the same as his old swing.
2 - Takatsu - Bad start but much better lately.
2 - Vizcaino - Ditto.

1 - Perez - Does not deserve a spot on a MLB roster.
1 - Walker - Ditto.

Incomplete - Burke, Gload, and Lopez.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2005, 05:43 PM
As usual, players are graded on a scale of 1-5, based on my subjective pre-season expectations. 5 = greatly exceeded my expectations, 4 = exceeded my expectations, 3 = met my expectations, 2 = didnít meet my expectations, and 1 = really really bad.

5 - Podsednik - Quickly becoming a fan favorite on the South Side. Gives the Sox what 90+% of MLB teams are lacking -- a legitimate leadoff threat.
5 - Widger - Inflated 1st quarter numbers have slipped, but remember that he entered camp as the 4th catcher and was playing softball last year.
5 - Cotts - The lefthanded version of Politte. What happened to all the Cotts haters? They were legion. Maybe a switch to the rotation next year?

4 - Pierzynski - Still doing a great job with the staff. Surprising power so far. I expect the AVE to rise significantly in the 2nd half.
4 - Iguchi - Very good overall player. Great pick-up by KW, and a key to the Ozzie-ball transition.
4 - Dye - Don't look now, but he's hitting .271 with 18 HR and 44 RBI. The arrow is pointing straight up on this one.
4 - Everett - Great leadership this season. Still 2nd on the team in RBI, despite limited PT. It'd be nice if he could get the OBP up, though.
4 - Ozuna - Dark horse candidate in spring training has done everything the team has asked. Solid utility player in the Ozzie-ball mold.
4 - Garcia - Unsung hero of the rotation. His great performance this season lags only slightly behind Garland and Buehrle.

3 - Uribe - As expected, world-class D and inconsistent offense. Still a surprisingly good situational hitter.
3 - Harris - Has been adequate in very limited action. More agressive on the bases this season, resulting in 7 SB in 9 attempts. Iguchi and Ozuna may have reduced him to trade bait.
3 - Hernandez - Generally solid when he pitches. Often injured. Pretty much exactly what I expected.
3 - Contreras - Great stuff but, as always, maddeningly refuses to throw strikes. Overall numbers are better than many fans realize.
3 - McCarthy - Extremely inconsistent, but that's what you should expect from a 21 year old who has very little experience in the high minors. Trade bait to add a 4th top-of-the-rotation starter?
3 - Marte - Decent numbers but early overuse has led to a DL stint. Hopefully, he'll come back well-rested for the 2nd half.

2 - Konerko - All Star my ass. Still hitting only .247 -- worse with RiSP. A surging Dye is threatening to pass Konerko in virtually all offensive categories. Dye's already ahead in AVE, SLG, OPS, 2B, 3B, TB, and SB.
2 - Rowand - Slight disappointment in the early going. Still a very solid all-around performer (.276 AVE, 16 2B, 11 SBs). Expect more HR in the 2nd half, especially if Ozzie stops jerking him around the lineup.
2 - Crede - His crappy numbers this season are a bit lower than his crappy career numbers. Still generally good D, but his failure to improve is baffling. His "new swing" is the same as his old swing.
2 - Vizcaino - Ditto.

1 - Walker - Ditto.

You forgot someone.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by maurice

3 - Harris - Has been adequate in very limited action. More agressive on the bases this season, resulting in 7 SB in 9 attempts. Iguchi and Ozuna may have reduced him to trade bait.
3 - Marte - Decent numbers but early overuse has led to a DL stint. Hopefully, he'll come back well-rested for the 2nd half.

2 - Vizcaino - Ditto.

1 - Walker - Ditto.

:hurt
Damn Maurice where am I.

daveeym
07-05-2005, 05:48 PM
:hurt
Damn Maurice where am I.
Maybe he knows something we don't know. Like "hasta la vista baby."

maurice
07-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Maybe he knows something we don't know. Like "hasta la vista baby."

More likely, I post a half-ass version and then edit it 47 times.
:redface:

Sonik22
07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
only thing i would change is that pierzynski deserves a 5 because of the way hes handled the pitching staff and he is the main reason the rotation has done so well.

FarWestChicago
07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
More likely, I post a half-ass version and then edit it 47 times.
:redface:Excellent comeback!! :thumbsup: 6 - Thomas - Putting up XBox numbers so far with a HR every 7 ABs. Not bad for a fellow coming off of a broken ankle.

MHOUSE
07-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm in agreement almost spot on with every rating there except for:

Contreras (3) I give a 4 because aside from his last couple starts was incredibly consistent considering his first two seasons in the Majors were a rollercoaster from start to start. I give Coop a lot of credit with Contreras' improved consistency. He could still be a LOT better because he has the stuff to flat out dominate batters.

Uribe (3) I give a 2 because with a 3-year contract and the starting SS job locked down, I expected him to show up at the plate a little more. Maybe a better 2nd half showing will change this rating. His defense is still awesome and his arm at SS is equal to that of Furcal or others with a well-known "cannon".

McCarthy (3) I give a 2 because I at least expected him to be something like 2-3 with a 5-something ERA and instead he's gotten rocked to the tune of a 8-something ERA and hasn't lasted long enough in most of his starts to get a win. After that awesome ST and decent outing against the Cubs I thought he would do all right. Again, he's only 21.

Perez (1) I give a 3 because he "met my expectations". He's been an ok 4th-5th outfielder and has done all right in PR and PH situations and I'll say again TIMO IS CLUTCH!!

Thomas 3 - He has done what I expected after starting the season on the DL. Hopefully the average gets up around .275-.300 before too long and he continues to knock the ball out of the park.

maurice
07-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I would have given Pierzynski a better grade, but he's a .290 career hitter with a .254 AVE. The "4" leaves him room for improvement when he bats .320 over the 2nd half.
:gulp:

Timo gets a 1 because he's a .266 career hitter with a .203 AVE. He was clutch last year (and was rewarded with a $1 million deal), but he's .176 with RiSP this year.

McCarthy's record is only 0-1, but the Sox have won 3 of his 5 starts. The loss against the cubs wasn't his fault. At the point Ozzie pulled McCarthy from the game, he was outpitching Mark "The Messiah" Prior.

TaylorStSox
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I like how Rowand's a "slight disappointment" even though he has 20 more K's and the same amount of BB's as Crede. But, Crede has more HR's and RBI's with 4 less 2B's while hitting 8th or 9th in the lineup.

Rowand has a mind blowing 14 more hits.

maurice
07-05-2005, 06:35 PM
I gave Rowand and Crede exactly the same rating. Rowand was deemed a "slight disappointment," while Crede was noted for having numbers "a bit lower than expected" but "generally good D."
:kukoo:

TaylorStSox
07-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I gave Rowand and Crede exactly the same rating. Rowand was deemed a "slight disappointment," while Crede was noted for having numbers "a bit lower than expected" but "generally good D."
:kukoo:

My point was that Rowand's "disappointing" numbers are even "crappier" than Crede's "crappy" career numbers. It was a bit of a strange assessment IMO.

Chips
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I would give Contreas a 2. I expected him to be a lot better than 3-5 or a least a little better than that. I didn't expect him to be a wild as he has been. I also didn't expect opposing hitters to have such a tough time hitting him until lately.

Pablo Ozuna has greatly exceeded expectations.

maurice
07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Crede: .242 AVE, .300 OBP, .430 SLG, .730 OPS, 12 2B, 0 3B, 12 HR, 32 R, 37 RBI, 16 BB, 40 K, 1 SB, 1 CS.
Rowand: .276 AVE, .334 OBP, .392 SLG, .726 OPS, 16 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 42 R, 33 RBI, 16 BB, 60 K, 11 SB, 3 CS.

Crede has an edge in SLG, HR, RBI, and (to the extent that anybody cares) K. In every other respect, Rowand is the same or better. In some cases (notably the Ozzie-ball categories of OBP, SB, and runs scored) he's significantly better. Rowand is 1st on the team in 2B, 2nd on the team in SB, and 3rd on the team in runs scored. He gets a "2," because he probably should have a higher AVE and more HR (which would increase his RBI, SLG, and OPS). Otherwise, I'm satisfied with his performance.

TaylorStSox
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Crede: .242 AVE, .300 OBP, .430 SLG, .730 OPS, 12 2B, 0 3B, 12 HR, 32 R, 37 RBI, 16 BB, 40 K, 1 SB, 1 CS.
Rowand: .276 AVE, .334 OBP, .392 SLG, .726 OPS, 16 2B, 1 3B, 5 HR, 42 R, 33 RBI, 16 BB, 60 K, 11 SB, 3 CS.

Crede has an edge in SLG, HR, RBI, and (to the extent that anybody cares) K. In every other respect, Rowand is the same or better. In some cases (notably the Ozzie-ball categories of OBP, SB, and runs scored) he's significantly better. Rowand is 1st on the team in 2B, 2nd on the team in SB, and 3rd on the team in runs scored. He gets a "2," because he probably should have a higher AVE and more HR (which would increase his RBI, SLG, and OPS). Otherwise, I'm satisfied with his performance.

I'm satisfied with both of them defensively and equally disappointed offensively. Nonetheless, they're both "crappy" and "slightly disappointing." I found your choice of semantics interesting. That's all.

TaylorStSox
07-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Pierzynski - A
Widger - A-
Konerko - C
Iguchi - B+
Harris - B
Uribe - C
Crede - C+ (lower expectations; better D)
Rowand - C
Podsednik - A+ (wish he walked more)
Dye - B+
Everett - A
Perez - Don't care.
Ozuna - B+
Thomas - A

Buehrle - A+
Garcia - A
Contreras - C
Hernandez - C
Garland - A+

Politte - A+
Vizcaino - D+
Takatsu - D
Hermanson - A+
Marte - C-
Cotts - A+

maurice
07-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I found your choice of semantics interesting. That's all.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Like I said, I put this together very quickly and didn't spend much time choosing semantics.

Uribe is the best defensive player on the team, IMHO. There's a reason he's at SS, though he's capable of playing every IF position.

Tragg
07-05-2005, 07:42 PM

6 - Thomas - Putting up XBox numbers so far with a HR every 7 ABs. Not bad for a fellow coming off of a broken ankle.

3 - Harris - Has been adequate in very limited action. More aggressive on the bases this season, resulting in 7 SB in 9 attempts. Iguchi and Ozuna may have reduced him to trade bait.
3 - Marte - Good numbers but early overuse has led to a DL stint. Hopefully, he'll come back well-rested for the 2nd half.

2 - Vizcaino - Ditto.

1 - Walker - Ditto.

Going by your definitions of the numbers:

I'd move MB down to a 4 because I have great expectations for him and always considered him an elite pitcher.

I'd move AJ (not much with the bat, but everyone seems to think he's good with the pitchers) and Dye down to a 3 (he's been a productive hitter for most of his career). I'd move Rowand (I expected him to come down to earth some) and Crede (about what I expected) up to a 3.

i'd move Marte down to a 2. He's been disappointing to me in a key position - top lefty reliever.

I'd move perez up to a 3 because I never had expectations of him to do much - never thought he should be on this roster, although I'll give him credit for pulling us out of that near debacle against the Angels.

Chips
07-05-2005, 07:43 PM

Joe Crede's average with RISP: .293, with two outs and RISP: .188
Aaron Rowand's average with RISP: .351 with two outs and RISP: .429

Rowand gets the cluctch hit when we need it. He leads the Sox in both of those categories.

fquaye149
07-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Podsednik - A+ (wish he walked more)

he's a pretty good walker - to the tune of a +.075 obp.

not bad!

maurice
07-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Marte has earned fairly high expectations, but I can't reasonably call a 2.81 ERA and 10.17 K/9 a significant disappointment. Too many walks, though.