PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Been To Yankee Stadium

34 Inch Stick
07-05-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm going out to New York this weekend and will be hitting friday's game. Is there anything around there to see if I get to the stadium early? Are upper deck seats good?

Any expert knowledge would be appreciated.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm going out to New York this weekend and will be hitting friday's game. Is there anything around there to see if I get to the stadium early? Are upper deck seats good?

Any expert knowledge would be appreciated.Yes I was there. Go early. I believe you can get in 2 hours early but I'm not sure. There is not a bad seat in the house and I was very surprised about this. If you get there early try to see the monuments, which are very cool. The upper Deck is similar to the Cell however it's lower to the ground.

Sxy Mofo
07-05-2005, 05:20 PM
and boo the yankees as loud as you can. Even throw in a "you suck" every now and then.

Chips
07-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I was talking to my brother who went out there last year and said the place was great on the inside but looks like crap on the outside. The Upper Deck seats were great he said. He also said prices were similiar to the Cell, not sure how he would know that on account that he is a flubs fan and doesn't go to many Sox games. Hope you have a good time.

Kogs35
07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
the upper deck seats have good views but last year when i was at a redsox-yankees game i felt it was steeper than comisky and i was shaking where at comisky i do not shake when in the uper deck

Shammy Hater
07-05-2005, 08:33 PM
make sure to mingle with the locals after the game. come strapped.

popilius
07-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I was going to ask everyone this question later. . . I'll be at Yankee stadium to watch the Sox play on August 8th and 9th. Thanks for the great info!

:gulp:

86metsghost
07-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I've been there many times. I was there for the historic first ever Mets/Yankees game where my Mets won 6-0! :)

Steinbrenner ruined the history of it in the 70s. He tore up the roof designs, replaced the old wooden seats with plastic ones, lowered the field and painted the gold trims white. Its good theyre getting a new stadium because that isnt the original one anyway.

Some advice: Avoid the bleachers. Theyre called "bleacher creatures" up there and beer was disallowed after 7 innings up there because the fans are such A-holes. They WILL pour beer on opposing teams fans, do not buy into the hype of "classy fans". Avoid wearing Sox clothing unless you want beer (or worse) on it. Avoid the bathrooms, stalkers hide in there and will wait for you.

The neighborhood is a dump and scary at night, so I hope youre going to a day game. If not travel in groups of 3 or more and arm yourself. Personally I carry a Wildy Magnum (updated gun used by Bronson in Death Wish 3) thats used to hunt elephants in Africa, but an automatic will probably due.

The seats are tight and somewhat cramp, but its an old stadium. Us Mets fans can usually chant whatever we want in there because we always outnumber the Yankee fans during interleague games and can overpower them if they get rough, but since youre a Sox fan I'd advise against any derogatory chants. Make sure you stay in a hotel in Manhattan, to get the best of NYC. And stop by Shea if you ever want to see the real NY baseball atmosphere, it may be in "Flushing" but Yankee Stadium is the real toilet.

Enjoy your stay.

DrCrawdad
07-06-2005, 07:03 AM
I was there in '84 or '85 for a White Sox visit. It was a low scoring game. Britt Burns started for the Sox and IIRC the Sox won 1-0.

We sat in the upper deck behind home plate. This was before we had ever experienced a high, steep UD like that.

I think the UD there is every bit as high as The Cell. IMHO the difference is that the Yankee Stadium UD hovers closer to the field. For example, it's fairly common for players to jack a HR in the RF UD. That's because it's right over the field, whereas The Cell is 100' back.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-06-2005, 08:39 AM
The seats in Yankee Stadium are packed so close together it feels like you're sitting in a sardine can, probably because the stadium was built at a time when obesity wasn't the problem it is today.
Both times I've gone I sat in the upper deck behind the plate on the first base side, and those are great seats. I mentioned in an older post how I had the best seat in the house for Frank's foul-pole-rattling grand slam off Roger Clemens in '03 -- classic.
Along with 86metsghost, I wasn't terribly anxious to explore that part of the Bronx before or after the game; but the fans I have encountered inside the stadium have mostly been good and knowledgeable...

Baby Fisk
07-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Definitely get there early enough to stroll around. They close the monument area early. Don't hang around after the game.