PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts at the Midpoint

HebrewHammer
07-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Is it just me or is it a lot easier to go into work in the morning this year?

As the deadline nears, does anyone else hurry to their computers each morning to see if KW has made any moves in the middle of the night?

There hasn't been a more underrated pitcher than Cliff Politte.

As maligned as Joe Crede has been, he does have more RBI than Aaron Rowand and fifty times the criticism.

My top Sox Pride moment of the year: Meeting AJ and Jon at the Thompson center, then meeting Ron Kittle and Minnie Minoso in the Club Level and capping the day with a White Sox winner over Baltimore.

Our August will decided the season with 29 games in 31 days. Brutal, brutal stretch including a 10 game road trip. How we come out of that month will tell us a lot about the character of this ballclub.

Brandon McCarthy and Kevin Walker are not MLB ready. There isn't a scarier phrase to a White Sox fan than "Walker trots in from the bullpen with bases loaded and one out."

In September, fans will be dressing as empty seats in the Urinal, while The Cell will be packed.

Juan Uribe will carry this team for a stretch sometime during this season.

Jose Contreras will continue to frustrate Sox fans everywhere. As will Carlos Silva.

This Sox team is a lot of fun to watch and I really can't wait to see this play out. Maybe we'll fade, maybe we won't, either way I'll carry the memories from this awesome first half for the rest of my life. Here's to the second half, may it be equally as fun and twice as memorable. :gulp:

Steakpita
07-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Dustin Hermanson this year has been like paying for a Kia and having a Porsche delivered to your door.

There is no more entertaining coach/manager in professional sports than Ozzie Guillen.

After this year and the way things are looking, I'm pretty sure that within the next three years we're going to see a lot of development take place in the area surrounding the Cell, and I for one am REALLY excited for it. The one thing my Flub fan friends still have on me is that Wrigleyville beats IIT, etc, for ambience. That could change very easily.

Here's to the Sox.:gulp:

mccoydp
07-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Dustin Hermanson this year has been like paying for a Kia and having a Porsche delivered to your door.

There is no more entertaining coach/manager in professional sports than Ozzie Guillen.

After this year and the way things are looking, I'm pretty sure that within the next three years we're going to see a lot of development take place in the area surrounding the Cell, and I for one am REALLY excited for it. The one thing my Flub fan friends still have on me is that Wrigleyville beats IIT, etc, for ambience. That could change very easily.

Does IIT still have that little bar in the Student Center?

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Aaron Rowand will have a monster 2nd half and challenge 30 HR.
Jose Contreras will continue to be Contreras. He will have 1 very good month though.
Shingo will come roaring back and get some Closing opportunities.
Politte will continue to be the most underrated Reliever in baseball.
Crede will be Crede
The Twins won't go away and will be on the heels of the Sox.
Pierzynski will get his average up to near .300.
Willie Harris will be sent down instead of Timo
THe Sox will have 2 20 Game winners and Garcia will win 18.

soltrain21
07-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Jose Contreras will continue to be Contreras. He will have 1 very good month though.
Crede will be Crede

If that that stuff happens then the Twins won't be anywhere close to the Sox' heels. Hell, they aren't close RIGHT NOW.

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2005, 05:15 PM

I just recently graduated from the University of Iowa, I know five years ago, most college graduates wouldnt have even looked at moving to Bridgeport. But now, I am one of many who would like to get tickets right by the Cell. I hope it doesnt ruin whats great about Bridgeport.

:andy
Nothing beats the Southside

TaylorStSox
07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Crede will be Crede

My prediction for the 2nd half....

White Sox Josh will flood the board with ridiculous trade rumors. July 31st couldn't come any sooner.

Then, we'll have to hear about waiver trades. :(:

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:17 PM
If that that stuff happens then the Twins won't be anywhere close to the Sox' heels. Hell, they aren't close RIGHT NOW.They will also have one of their pattented second half runs. THat might be beneficial to the Sox because it will keep them playing on their heels and they won't be flat going into the playoffs. I just have nightmeres about what happened in 2000.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:19 PM
My prediction for the 2nd half....

White Sox Josh will flood the board with ridiculous trade rumors. July 31st couldn't come any sooner.

Then, we'll have to hear about waiver trades. :(:Luis Vizcaino for Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt, Brad Lidge, and Morgan Ensberg.

soltrain21
07-05-2005, 05:20 PM
They will also have one of their pattented second half runs. THat might be beneficial to the Sox because it will keep them playing on their heels and they won't be flat going into the playoffs. I just have nightmeres about what happened in 2000.

By your predictions the Twins would pretty much have to play .900 ball to even sniff the Sox in the second half.

You were like 10 in 2000, its not like you have suffered as much as some here.

Huisj
07-05-2005, 05:25 PM

He's going to hit 25 homers in less than 3 months? It'd be nice, but it seems a little unrealistic. Only two people in baseball have 25 homers right now.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
By your predictions the Twins would pretty much have to play .900 ball to even sniff the Sox in the second half.

You were like 10 in 2000, its not like you have suffered as much as some here.OK i never said that the Sox will have a fantastic 2nd half. They will obviously not play as well as they are right now. I say they will have a solid second half as a team. Also I believe that the Twins will be around 6 or 7 games back by September when we play them. Than the Sox will sweep the Twins and win the division.

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2005, 05:38 PM

You were like 10 in 2000, its not like you have suffered as much as some here.

Not that I'm much older but werent you only 15 in 2000?

bluestar
07-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I think the Twins will finish third in the division. Cleveland will finish second, and the Sox will thank the baseball gods their schedule allowed them to play most of their games against Cleveland earlier in the season.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2005, 05:39 PM
He's going to hit 25 homers in less than 3 months? It'd be nice, but it seems a little unrealistic. Only two people in baseball have 25 homers right now.

And the Sox have only one person who's realistically capable of hitting that many home runs in three months.

:hurt

"And don't you forget it, either."

34 Inch Stick
07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
August will be brutal but we will come out of it with a 5+ game lead. The Sox will break 100 wins for the first time in my lifetime in mid September. They will wrap up the division in the same week as breaking 100 wins. I really don't see these as predictions as they are much more likely to happen than not given the first half of the season.

If you would like a prediction, I will tell you that the Cubs will also make the playoffs which will dilute the attention that this team deserves.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:41 PM
And the Sox have only one person who's realistically capable of hitting that many home runs in three months.

:hurt

"And don't you forget it, either."Lee came pretty close he hit about 20. I think Rowand will go on a power tear soon though.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
August will be brutal but we will come out of it with a 5+ game lead. The Sox will break 100 wins for the first time in my lifetime in mid September. They will wrap up the division in the same week as breaking 100 wins. I really don't see these as predictions as they are much more likely to happen than not given the first half of the season.

If you would like a prediction, I will tell you that the Cubs will also make the playoffs which will dilute the attention that this team deserves.how? The Division is over for them. And they aren't as good as the Braves or Marlins. They will be a mediocre team.

thecell
07-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Jose Contreras will continue to frustrate Sox fans everywhere. As will Carlos Silva.

Carlos Silva? The same Carlos Silva that is 2-3 with a 5.71 ERA against the Sox?

Podzilla_40
07-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Jenks will be a great success and will be the guy needed to solidify our bullpen.
Indians will finish second.

HebrewHammer
07-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Carlos Silva? The same Carlos Silva that is 2-3 with a 5.71 ERA against the Sox?

I saw him last year and you'd think he bought a kryptonite glove because the White Sox were powerless. That and the guy never throws any balls, I don't mean to put my tin foil hat on, but watch out for Carlos Silva.

ShoelessJoeS
07-05-2005, 06:07 PM
2nd half prediction: the team will stay hot and hawk will finally be forced to shave his head, after three "scares" this season :cool:

Sxy Mofo
07-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Whoever wrote that part about shuffling Aaron around the lineup... very good point. It has to be taking some of his numbers down a bit, just because he's not hitting in front of or behind the same types of guys every day... not swinging with the same type of mindset everyday. It's great for the sox as a team that he can do that (hitting seventh, third, second, fifth, sixth, and, or even first and 4th), but it will take something away from his numbers, and as long as he's ok with that, more power to the sox.

Chips
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM

If you would like a prediction, I will tell you that the Cubs will also make the playoffs which will dilute the attention that this team deserves.

I don't think the Sox have ever had 100 wins in a season.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2005, 06:30 PM
The one thing that makes me uneasy is whenever I see Jose Contreras pitch. It seems Shingo is coming back to his expected good stuff.

The sleeper so far for me has been Pablo Ozuna. He's been doing everything (and more) for this team whenever called upon, and I never expected this level of performance from him before the season started. Hopefully he'll continue this! It's great to have this super-sub on the bench. He seems to be even better than Tony Graffanino was for us.

chisoxfanatic
07-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't think the Sox have ever had 100 wins in a season.

Yes they have...In 1917, they won 100 games. They have not won more than 100 games in a season though.

Chips
07-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Yes they have...In 1917, they won 100 games. They have not won more than 100 games in a season though.

That is what I meant to say.

Tragg
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM
They're going to finish behind Houston again.
The Astros' farm system manufacturers pitchers like GM makes automobiles. They're amazing.

They'll probably fall behind the Brewers by the end of the season, because the Brewers will play hard to the end, and the Cubs will quit (then start pointing fingers - who's fault will it be this year?How can a team with Hollinsworth and Patterson in the outfield not win??) when it's obvious they're out of it.

Chips
07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
They're going to finish behind Houston again.
The Astros' farm system manufacturers pitchers like GM makes automobiles. They're amazing.

They'll probably fall behind the Brewers by the end of the season, because the Brewers will play hard to the end, and the Cubs will quit (then start pointing fingers - who's fault will it be this year?How can a team with Hollinsworth and Patterson in the outfield not win??) when it's obvious they're out of it.

Well said, they do not have a consistent offense or starting pitching staff that can make a run at it. Teams in the NL East are playing too good for the cubs to catch up.

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 08:53 PM
My predictions:

1. The Sox will play .750 ball
2. The Flubs have a 0-20 skid. Guess who has a better shot at post-season play according to the local and national mediots............
2. The American Psychiatric Association comes up with a new emotional disorder: Poditis, the real and legitimate fear a pitcher experiences when Scott Podsednik is on base with an open base ahead of him. They are years away from a cure, probably will coincide with Scott's retirement.
3. After the Sox win the World Series 4-0, Homefish will say it was because the other team tinkered with their lineup and rotation and if they had stuck with their gameplan, the Sox would have been toast.
4. Homefish reveals his true identity to us. It is Ron Santo.
5. As Ozzie accepts the WS trophy, he thanks "White Sox Interactive for showing me how to do my job."

So, friends, sit back, strap it down and enjoy the ride!:D:

Taliesinrk
07-05-2005, 09:15 PM
OK i never said that the Sox will have a fantastic 2nd half. They will obviously not play as well as they are right now. I say they will have a solid second half as a team. Also I believe that the Twins will be around 6 or 7 games back by September when we play them. Than the Sox will sweep the Twins and win the division.

why is it that the Sox can't play as well in the second half as they did in the first half??? especially if they pick up an arm before the deadline....

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
My predictions:

1. The Sox will play .750 ball
2. The Flubs have a 0-20 skid. Guess who has a better shot at post-season play according to the local and national mediots............
2. The American Psychiatric Association comes up with a new emotional disorder: Poditis, the real and legitimate fear a pitcher experiences when Scott Podsednik is on base with an open base ahead of him. They are years away from a cure, probably will coincide with Scott's retirement.
3. After the Sox win the World Series 4-0, Homefish will say it was because the other team tinkered with their lineup and rotation and if they had stuck with their gameplan, the Sox would have been toast.
4. Homefish reveals his true identity to us. It is Ron Santo.
5. As Ozzie accepts the WS trophy, he thanks "White Sox Interactive for showing me how to do my job."

So, friends, sit back, strap it down and enjoy the ride!:D::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

DumpJerry
07-06-2005, 07:46 AM
BTW, after Ozzie gives WSI credit for making it happen, Voodoo is hired to be the bench coach.

soxrme
07-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I think the Twins will finish third in the division. Cleveland will finish second, and the Sox will thank the baseball gods their schedule allowed them to play most of their games against Cleveland earlier in the season.

I agree, the Indians are coming on quickly, the four games against them after the break should be interesting. Mark Gonzales of the cubune had an article today how the Sox will now face tougher competition after the break because we have been facing losing teams. Maybe they have losing records because the
Sox beat them???:supernana:

34 Inch Stick
07-06-2005, 10:35 AM
The media still treats the Sox as if they are a fluke. It almost seems that they would like the team to tank.

Today I heard Mike North talk about how the world would be calling for Ozzie's head if the record in one run games was turned around from 23-8 to 8-23. Well by my math they would still be 15 games above .500 and in first place in the division.

If this team in black pinstripes had a NY on the front of the jerseys the world would quaking at their dominance. Change any particular split the Sox are good in and they are still a good team. That is flat out dominance.

dcb33
07-06-2005, 11:30 AM
The media still treats the Sox as if they are a fluke. It almost seems that they would like the team to tank.

Today I heard Mike North talk about how the world would be calling for Ozzie's head if the record in one run games was turned around from 23-8 to 8-23. Well by my math they would still be 15 games above .500 and in first place in the division.

If this team in black pinstripes had a NY on the front of the jerseys the world would quaking at their dominance. Change any particular split the Sox are good in and they are still a good team. That is flat out dominance.

Mike North still talks sports? Could've fooled me...:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
07-06-2005, 01:33 PM
No Mike North attempts to talk sports, it usually winds up being gibberish.

Lip