PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle and Garland on Dan Patrick show!

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 02:44 PM
he is on right now.

Madvora
07-05-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm listening, but I hate when our guys are on the national shows. Dan Patrick tries to be all buddy, buddy with them like he's "one of the guys."

1951Campbell
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
"Nice to have you both on the show. So, what do you guys think the Yankees' chances are this year?"

batmanZoSo
07-05-2005, 02:50 PM
"Nice to have you both on the show. So, what do you guys think the Yankees' chances are this year?"

"Well, let's see. How many times do they have to face us?"

Sxy Mofo
07-05-2005, 02:51 PM

"...to go to hell?"

MB: "quite good actually Dan, you know, Jon and I were just talking about that before the show, *token laugh*"

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Buehrle says that he is Pods campaign manager.
Patrick asks them about Rogers going to the All Star Game: Both think he should go.
Patrick asks who should be Starter for All Star Game: Buehrle says Halladay and Garland Says Buehrle.
They say that Halladay has been the best pitcher in the AL.
Patrick asks about Schmidt: They say they here rumors on the trading block
He than asks if they need more SP: They said it would be nice to have it.
Buehrle says that they should do away with every team getting a rep.
Buehrle says that Frank Thomas thinks he could play 1st Base everyday if needed.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Buehrle says that Frank Thomas thinks he could play 1st Base everyday if needed.

VERY interesting....

Steakpita
07-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Frank could play first base if he got the batboys out there to his left and right to field grounders.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Frank could play first base if he got the batboys out there to his left and right to field grounders.he actually isn't that bad at 1st. He is OK, not great but not a liability out there either.

patbooyah
07-05-2005, 04:14 PM
he actually isn't that bad at 1st. He is OK, not great but not a liability out there either.

.990 fielding % i think

patbooyah
07-05-2005, 04:14 PM
he actually isn't that bad at 1st. He is OK, not great but not a liability out there either.

career .990 fielding % i think

zach074
07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Frank playing 1st is better than Timo playing 1st.

eriqjaffe
07-05-2005, 04:31 PM
career .990 fielding % i think.991, actually.

But what about on the balls that aren't hit directly at him?

ThinWhiteDuque
07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Frank has always had soft hands, really...His problem has been that he probably has the worst arm in the history of MLB.

I'm sure he could get the job done now, at least at an adequate level. I just worry that he'd fall down and tear a muscle. :(:

maurice
07-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Frank could play first base if he got the batboys out there to his left and right to field grounders.

Paulie could use those batboys more than Frank.

Frank's only problem is health-related:
- an old football injury limits his throwing ability
- the torn triceps occurred when he was in the field
- his recent ankle injury means that he should stay off his feet

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 05:05 PM
VERY interesting....
Not really. Who do you want playing 1st during road games at the World Series when we are in NL parks? Paulie or Frank? The answer is obvious, FRANK.

S.S. Lumber Yard
07-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Maybe we'll throw Paul Konerko into a deal to obtain Roger Clemens.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Not really. Who do you want playing 1st during road games at the World Series when we are in NL parks? Paulie or Frank? The answer is obvious, FRANK.

Indeed, it's interesting. Stupid interleague games in May and June are one thing. Sure, let Konerko get the at-bats while Frank pinch hits. We're only talking about 10 or so games out of 162. No big deal...

But the World Series is a whole DIFFERENT ballgame. If the Sox got as far as the World Series, there is no way in hell I would sacrafice Frank's bat for as many as 4 games in a Best-of-7 winner takes all playoff.

Frank plays first base in the World Series. Konerko sits.

maurice
07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Also, the risk of injury is relatively less significant in the playoffs. If Frank gets injured playing 1B now, he could miss half the season and all of the playoffs.

For now, it's better to be safe than sorry. In the playoffs, you pull out all the stops and let the chips fall where they may.

TaylorStSox
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I agree that Frank has to play 1st in the WS. What he gives you with the bat is infinitely better than what PK gives you with the bat and D.

mantis1212
07-05-2005, 07:45 PM
But the World Series is a whole DIFFERENT ballgame. If the Sox got as far as the World Series, there is no way in hell I would sacrafice Frank's bat for as many as 4 games in a Best-of-7 winner takes all playoff.

Frank plays first base in the World Series. Konerko sits.

I would only agree with you IF Frank actually got some action there during the season. But as it seems right now, Frank won't come near a glove this season. If that's the case, he could become the next Bill Buckner

PaleHoseGeorge
07-05-2005, 07:49 PM
I would only agree with you IF Frank actually got some action there during the season. But as it seems right now, Frank won't come near a glove this season. If that's the case, he could become the next Bill Buckner

All the more reason to get him some playing time at first base -- especially if the Sox lock the division up early. Every game after the clincher should have Frank at 1B.

Come World Series time, Paul Konerko's ass is on the bench.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 07:52 PM
All the more reason to get him some playing time at first base -- especially if the Sox lock the division up early. Every game after the clincher should have Frank at 1B.

Agreed.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Indeed, it's interesting. Stupid interleague games in May and June are one thing. Sure, let Konerko get the at-bats while Frank pinch hits. We're only talking about 10 or so games out of 162. No big deal...

Frank plays first base in the World Series. Konerko sits.And I don't want to see Konerko at 3rd Base. Oh was that a bad experiment.

fquaye149
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM

You are absolutely 100% right George.

One more thing to consider in why he is not playing in the field at all right now is injury. I will definitely take the chance of a cold Frank in the field when he actually plays if that improves the odds that he will be able to hit for us as much as he possibly can.

However, come playoff time (and by that I mean as we round August into September) it's time to put up or shut up -

If we are going to be successful in October it will hinge on two things:

a.) our pitching

b.) frank thomas.

I believe that to the core of my being. So by September it's put up or shut up - get Frank PT at 1B because he WILL be playing if we make the WS and if he gets injured he gets injured. HIS BAT MUST BE IN THERE IN OCTOBER.

(hall of famer)

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 07:59 PM
You are absolutely 100% right George.

One more thing to consider in why he is not playing in the field at all right now is injury. I will definitely take the chance of a cold Frank in the field when he actually plays if that improves the odds that he will be able to hit for us as much as he possibly can.

However, come playoff time (and by that I mean as we round August into September) it's time to put up or shut up -

If we are going to be successful in October it will hinge on two things:

a.) our pitching

b.) frank thomas.

I believe that to the core of my being. So by September it's put up or shut up - get Frank PT at 1B because he WILL be playing if we make the WS and if he gets injured he gets injured. HIS BAT MUST BE IN THERE IN OCTOBER.

(hall of famer)
not only that it is prooven that he hits better at 1B.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-05-2005, 10:31 PM

Have you ever seen him throw? Forget about DPs starting from first, he doesn't even try. So you just can't go by fielding %. Frank just steps on first and allows every single runner to have second base. We can't afford getting him hurt out there anyway, he's getting up there is age as we all know.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree that Frank has to play 1st in the WS. What he gives you with the bat is infinitely better than what PK gives you with the bat and D.

After what we've seen this year, I can't believe people want to get away from "smart ball" pitching and defense. The ball will find Frank in a big situation and cost us. Frank had a not so pretty play in the 2000 playoffs on I believe a bunt that was a significant play.

Is Jerry Manual and/or Jose Valentin on this site under secret names? Let's stick with what is working and not undervalue defense.

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Have you ever seen him throw? Forget about DPs starting from first, he doesn't even try. So you just can't go by fielding %. Frank just steps on first and allows every single runner to have second base. We can't afford getting him hurt out there anyway, he's getting up there is age as we all know.
***? How many times do we see 3-4-3 DPs or 3-6-3s? I don't think I've seen a single DP start at 1st this year. Frank would only play 3 or 4 games at most at 1st. I doubt one of those opportunities would come up then. Besides I think Frank's bat produces enough to make up for any fielding issues, which seem to be overstated. If you don't get why we need Frank, look no further than tonight's game or last week's games against the Tigers and A's or look at any game the man has played and you will see why we need him.

FarWestChicago
07-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Is Jerry Manual and/or Jose Valentin on this site under secret names? Let's stick with what is working and not undervalue defense.No HomeFish, but it's obvious you are on under a secret name, which is a whackable offense. :o:

And what do you mean, "Let's stick with what is working"? Every post you make is doom and gloom. :rolleyes:

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 11:15 PM
No HomeFish, but it's obvious you are on under a secret name, which is a whackable offense. :o:

And what do you mean, "Let's stick with what is working"? Every post you make is doom and gloom. :rolleyes:
Is it really Homefish?

oh, and a comment about the interview that this thread is about: I think it speaks a lot for team chemistry when you have Mark Buehrle saying he will be Pods' campaign manager. It shows a great companionship and humor among the players.

TDog
07-05-2005, 11:52 PM
The 2000 ALDS ended for the Sox on a play designed to exploit the defensive liabilities of Thomas. Sweet Lou said that even if Thomas fielded the bunt, he wouldn't be able to throw out the runner at home. Whether Thomas was incapable of throwing out the runner at the plate is irrelevant. The idea was Mariners needed only to put pressure on Thomas to advance in the series. It is well known that Thomas has profound problems throwing.

When you start Thomas at first, you lose his bat at the end of the game if you take him out for a defensive replacement.

Konerko is clearly the better first baseman. He has a better idea of what to do defensively.

I just hope people have reason to argue this point as Halloween approaches.

FarWestChicago
07-05-2005, 11:55 PM
The 2000 ALDS ended for the Sox on a play designed to exploit the defensive liabilities of Thomas.The 2000 ALDS ended when Keith "Bombs Away" Foulke got shelled in the first game. :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
The 2000 ALDS ended for the Sox on a play designed to exploit the defensive liabilities of Thomas. Sweet Lou said that even if Thomas fielded the bunt, he wouldn't be able to throw out the runner at home. Whether Thomas was incapable of throwing out the runner at the plate is irrelevant. The idea was Mariners needed only to put pressure on Thomas to advance in the series. It is well known that Thomas has profound problems throwing.

When you start Thomas at first, you lose his bat at the end of the game if you take him out for a defensive replacement.

Konerko is clearly the better first baseman. He has a better idea of what to do defensively.

I just hope people have reason to argue this point as Halloween approaches.

The Sox will only have to worry about Games 3 and 4 being played under NL rules in the World Series anyway, since they will go to St. Louis leading the Series 2-0!

:supernana: