PDA

View Full Version : if houston DOES pack it in before deadline...

HAR-OLD
07-05-2005, 12:48 PM
obviously clemens would be awesome, but i think unrealistic

what would you all think about trying to pick up ensberg?

i am not a big proponent of getting rid of crede, but this would be a pretty big upgrade offensively, and not too much of a downgrade defensively, at least judging from various fielding stats,

also i dont see him costing an arm and a leg on the trading block

i like crede, but i dont necessarily like the idea of an alcs game on the line and it comes down to crede at the plate against playoff caliber pitching, know what i mean, i think it would make the lineup pretty damn tight especially with the protection he could get/give to contact guys like aj

just a thought

PAPChiSox729
07-05-2005, 01:06 PM

i am not a big proponent of getting rid of crede, but this would be a pretty big upgrade offensively, and not too much of a downgrade defensively, at least judging from various fielding stats,

i like crede, but i dont necessarily like the idea of an alcs game on the line and it comes down to crede at the plate against playoff caliber pitching, know what i mean, i think it would make the lineup pretty damn tight especially with the protection he could get/give to contact guys like aj

just a thought

Ensberg is having a great season. He's hitting .290 with 22 HRs and about 60 RBI. That is going to cost a lot. If anything, KW is probably looking for pitching. I don't think it is going to happen... man, I love What's the Score!
:redneck

DaleJRFan
07-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Clemens and Ensberg.... blah. They'll both take a lot to get... Clemens for 15 starts and Ensberg could be a fluke. If Houston makes Roy Oswalt available, I wouldn't cry if KW gave up Sweeney, Anderson, Gio/McCarthy...

If the Sox are going to sell the farm, lets get someone who'll make an impact in the WS push... AND be around next year.

Clemens rules, but I'd be disappointed if KW gave up what we perceive as the next stars for the Sox.

Flight #24
07-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Per mlb4u.com, Ensberg has just over 2 years of service time and makes $450k. I.e. there's no way Houston's trading a young, cheap, dominating guy unless you WAY overpay or unless they think he's a fluke. Neither of these cases excites me.

HAR-OLD
07-05-2005, 02:08 PM
i would definitely agree, except he isnt that young, hes 29, which is the only reason i think he wouldnt cost THAT much, by which i mean not as much as clemens or some other impact players would

i mean its obviously all speculative, but i think they would be more willing to give up a 29 yr old who is probably in the middle of a career year

of course the downside being that hes a 29yr old probably having a career year, so where does that put the sox next year

im just thinking IF (big if) he could be the difference in the playoffs then worry about next year later, but obviously im not a gm

Tekijawa
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
What could we get if we threw in Ditka? and a Bat named Mini Ditka?

bennyw41
07-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Also, Look at what Houston did last year. They are surging right now, I don't think they are gonna be sellers, more buyers this season too.

shoota
07-05-2005, 04:37 PM

just a thought

If the Sox trade for Roger Clemens and Morgan Ensberg, I wouldn't mind giving up the entire farm.

Clemens and Ensberg for McCarthy, Crede, Sweeney and cash.

PAPChiSox729
07-05-2005, 04:51 PM

You may not even be able to get just Clemens for that even if he decides to accept a trade here.

balke
07-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Ensberg was sitting in my fantasy FA list all week, and I didn't pick him up. Same reason as I don't think Sox should go after him... there's just no history there. Plus I have David Wright, and I'm short on moves :wink:.

I wouldn't cry at the pickup, it just seems like a big gamble to go after a 3rd baseman like Ensberg. And he'd cost a lot of prospects.

Podzilla_40
07-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Houston is in it, in fact they are in the running for Adam Dunn.

dcb33
07-05-2005, 05:35 PM
If the Sox trade for Roger Clemens and Morgan Ensberg, I wouldn't mind giving up the entire farm.

I have a great trade idea: Why don't we unload all of our crappy players on some unsuspecting team for all of their best players? Perfect! World Series, here we come!

Here is the Astros record after July 4 games the past 2 years:
2004- 42-39
2005- 39-42

As terrible as their start was, Houston is still in the running and positioned similar to where they were last year at the midway point. They should be buyers and not sellers as one or two bats could put them over the top in the weak NL Wild Card race.

Sonik22
07-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Last year ensberg was expected to have a big power year for the astros and didnt. This year he is coming into form and hitting home runs. He should have been in the all star game at 3B instead of Rolen.

Go Go Everetts
07-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Clemens won't want to leave the Astros. He wants to stay there with his family and play some Spring Training Ball with his Son there next season.

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 02:24 AM
What could we get if we threw in Ditka? and a Bat named Mini Ditka?

I don't know about all of Ditka, but maybe one of Ditka's arms and some autographed Ditka portraits (2 or 3). To be nice, we could throw in a half eaten brat Ditka coughed up once seven years ago.

But all considering, a deal like this would be worthy of Lidge + Clemens + Oswalt + Ensberg + $50 million to cover the cost of renaming US Cellular Field to Comiskey Park.

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 02:26 AM

I don't think they do that deal unless you throw in Borchard and Greg Norton.

Tragg
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Houston's drawing well - they shouldn't trade Clemens, in it or not. And they're in it as of now.
Houston has an abundance of one thing - pitching PROSPECTS. They are actually short on ML starters. Because of that, the only thing I see them useful for is as a third team in a deal, in which the other team wants pitching prospects - we send HOu outfield prospects, they send the team their pitching prospects and we take whatever player we wanted from the team.