PDA

View Full Version : Was the Rain Delay Last Night Necessary?

TomBradley72
07-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Was anyone else at the game last night? We were there (Row 32, Section 150..so under the overhang and protected from any rain)...seemed like the rain during the 2 hour plus delay was very light or sometimes non-existent....actually seemed like the rain was harder while the game was being played than it ever was during the delay. Just checking for my sanity....seemed like the delay was based more on weather they were anticipating than actual rain.

Rocky Soprano
07-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I was there as well and I also figured that they were probably expecting some harder rain to come in.

downstairs
07-05-2005, 11:06 AM
I was at the game. I heard something about not being allowed to start a game even if there is a tiny bit of rain.

There was a constant drizzle.

No idea if that was BS or not....

bludupree
07-05-2005, 11:07 AM
On Comcast they said they didn't want to risk having McCarthy warm up and then sit down for 45 minutes. I guess he also takes longer than normal to warm up. If he warmed up and then had to sit they said he might not be able to start.

TomBradley72
07-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I was there as well and I also figured that they were probably expecting some harder rain to come in.

Seems like the Sox should balance that approach with keeping fans waiting over two hours....when most people have to work the next day, etc.....

WhiteSox16K
07-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I heard something about not being allowed to start a game even if there is a tiny bit of rain.

That's normally the way MLB goes about rain. I don't know why, but normally - whenever there's any amount of rain - a game will not be started.

wildcat
07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I was there yesterday and had convinced six friends to come with me for my birthday. And then the rain delay... We were in the UD under the roof, so we didn't get wet, but we did get a little grumpy. The non-Sox fans were convinced it was a ploy to sell more concessions. :smile: I don't mind the delay itself as much as the lack of information. Would it be that difficult to make an announcement or two about why they're delayed and when they expect the game to start?

Sad
07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Was anyone else at the game last night? We were there (Row 32, Section 150..so under the overhang and protected from any rain)...seemed like the rain during the 2 hour plus delay was very light or sometimes non-existent....actually seemed like the rain was harder while the game was being played than it ever was during the delay. Just checking for my sanity....seemed like the delay was based more on weather they were anticipating than actual rain.

agreed... I was in 520 Row 1 last night & thought it was ridiculous... there were many times when it wasn't even raining (yeah I know... the radar showed more light rain/mist on the way)... then around the 4th/5th it was definitely raining harder than any time during the 2:06 delay... whatever.

We had 2 youngin's with us & ended up bailing in the 6th as one of em was starting to whine :whiner:

oh well- be there again Saturday :D:

Fungo
07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Let me get this straight....you guys are questioning Roger Bossard?

Tekijawa
07-05-2005, 11:25 AM
The non-Sox fans were convinced it was a ploy to sell more concessions. :smile:

How else are we going to pay Roger Clemens, Jason Schmidt and Eric Chavez when they get here. I'm guessing there will be plenty more "rain delays" before July 30th!

Sxy Mofo
07-05-2005, 11:27 AM
The non-Sox fans were convinced it was a ploy to sell more concessions. :smile:

Why would there be non-sox fans there? It's not like they'd come to see the devil rays... I guess i could see going for the fireworks, but even then, there are plenty of other shows.

MUScholar21
07-05-2005, 11:29 AM
I think it was more a matter of not wanting to start a game that was going to be stopped-I waited in my seats for the 45 mins between rains before the game started. If they start, they generally don't want to stop (hence, the reason they played through the rain). Believe me, sitting in 120 row 4, I was quite aware of the rain. But there isn't any sense in starting a game and risking injury just to have it stopped again.

As far as going to work the next day, they didn't hold you there. There are gates in plenty of locations. However, you are there and waited long enough, what's a little while longer?

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I was there. One of my friends who was with me talked with a security supervisor around 7:40 or so. He told her that the radar was showing a big storm coming our way and they wanted to wait and see what it did by 8:15 or so. That was reason for the delay.

BTW, the security guy did not mention if the Sox were showing up on that radar. I'm thinking that "storm" approaching the park was the Sox tearing up the second half and postseason!:D: So much for being under the radar.:cool:

JB98
07-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Why would there be non-sox fans there? It's not like they'd come to see the devil rays... I guess i could see going for the fireworks, but even then, there are plenty of other shows.

Believe me, there were non-Sox fans/casual fans there last night. The guys sitting behind me spent half an inning trying to figure out where we got Jermaine Dye from. One guy finally asked, "Did he come up through our farm system?" At that point, I turned around and set them straight. Obviously, they don't watch much baseball if they think Dye came up through our system.

As for the rain delay, it was not necessary. I was standing at the top of the ramp in the UD for most of the delay. It looked like there were heavy clouds to the South, and fairly clear skies to the North and West. Apparently, they thought those clouds to the South contained heavier rain. It never rained that hard. They could have started around 6:30 and played the whole game without delay.

NealCotts4Life
07-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Also it's not like anyone could have said what was happening. Me and my friends were ticked off because we were left in the dark. That was the longest non-doubleheader day of baseball ever for me.

mweflen
07-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I was there - they started the game during a light drizzle - so the "not even a drizzle" rule is not so.

They played almost the whole game through a light drizzle as well - it only abated after inning 5 or 6 - so basically, there was no reason for the delay.

MUScholar21
07-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Also it's not like anyone could have said what was happening. Me and my friends were ticked off because we were left in the dark. That was the longest non-doubleheader day of baseball ever for me.

I COMPLETELY agree. I left my house between 3:30 and 4p, and didn't get back home until 1a. Between a 2 hour rain delay, all the scoring, slow pitching, and fireworks, I'm not sure if the game could have taken longer. Unless Contreras was pitching.

ISU_Jer
07-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I was there, we won. All that matters are the W's and L's, right?

Go Sox!

Go Go Everetts
07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
It was a very strange sight for me seeing the last 15 rows in the Upper Deck fill up before the ones in front.

TornLabrum
07-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Roger Bossard was interviewed on Comcast during the delay. He said there was a cell with heavy rain approaching the ball park, and that's why they didn't want to risk starting McCarthy's warm up tosses only to have him sit down for 45 minutes.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Believe me, there were non-Sox fans/casual fans there last night. The guys sitting behind me spent half an inning trying to figure out where we got Jermaine Dye from. One guy finally asked, "Did he come up through our farm system?" At that point, I turned around and set them straight. Obviously, they don't watch much baseball if they think Dye came up through our system.

We were sitting behind some idiot who wouldn't stop saying "Stretch" and "C'mon Timo" even though Timo didn't play at all.

I understand that people love Hawkisms, but there are some drillrods who are not using them correctly. Otherwise I was glad that it was a Sox win.

Mercy!
07-05-2005, 04:20 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/PollyannaRoe/tinfoil-hat_sm.jpg

Oh yeah, that's it: "it was a ploy to sell more concessions"

----------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously though, it is hard to understand why management wouldn't attempt to keep the paying customers informed with an occasional announcement. Basic common sense/customer service. And decency.

Pulaski
07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Roger Bossard was interviewed on Comcast during the delay. He said there was a cell with heavy rain approaching the ball park, and that's why they didn't want to risk starting McCarthy's warm up tosses only to have him sit down for 45 minutes.

I was there as well and it would have been nice for Honda to inform us of the situation. Everyone around us was pissed about the lack of information.

"All we have here is a failure to communicate!"

ewokpelts
07-05-2005, 04:57 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/PollyannaRoe/tinfoil-hat_sm.jpg

Oh yeah, that's it: "it was a ploy to sell more concessions"

----------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously though, it is hard to understand why management wouldn't attempt to keep the paying customers informed with an occasional announcement. Basic common sense/customer service. And decency.
not true.....beer sales still ended before 10pm...and the bullpen bar was already cleaned out before the fireworks...
Gene

TomBradley72
07-05-2005, 05:12 PM
I was there as well and it would have been nice for Honda to inform us of the situation. Everyone around us was pissed about the lack of information.

Exactly....instead of showing 100 "Rain Delay Theater" slides on the scoreboard...just post a brief message as to why there's a delay/the logic behind it....estimated time the game might begin, etc..I think this was an example of the Sox outhinking themselves...the rain never came...and they frustrated a sell out crowd. I live 60 miles away from the ballpark..and brought two friends who had to drive home to St. Louis after the game. If I still lived downtown..no big deal....but when you make that kind of effort....

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Roger Bossard was on with Hawk and said that there were orange spots on the RADAR. They just got lucky and had them miss. They thought that the major stuff was going to hit and that's why they had the delay.

Pulaski
07-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Roger Bossard was on with Hawk and said that there were orange spots on the RADAR. They just got lucky and had them miss. They thought that the major stuff was going to hit and that's why they had the delay.

At least they informed the TV viewers and Radio viewers, but don't forget those in the seats that got wet and were upset that we heard no nothing until 7:55 pm!!!

I hope Brooks reads this THREAD!!!:angry:

Parrothead
07-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I was there - they started the game during a light drizzle - so the "not even a drizzle" rule is not so.

They played almost the whole game through a light drizzle as well - it only abated after inning 5 or 6 - so basically, there was no reason for the delay.

Agreed ! :angry: At the very least they could have made annoucments and/or showed the radar. It was very frustrating watching a dry field with no one on it.

Skippy
07-05-2005, 05:59 PM
I was actually happy with the delay.

We didn't leave the NW suburbs until 6 to go to the game. Arrived and parked in lot C at 6:30.

Had person after person try to sell me the FAKEST looking tickets I had ever seen.

Got 3 standing room tickets.

Stood in the right field concourse right behind the foul pole. Talked to some girls, one of them looked like Paris Hilton. Ended discussion after finding out they were 17. I'm 26. Big NO NO!

Sat down in an empty row of seats around the 5th inning.

Left before the fireworks started, watched them from the car, took off and avoided all traffic.

:bandance:

TomBradley72
07-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Left before the fireworks started, watched them from the car, took off and avoided all traffic.

:bandance:

One of the best traffic management moves you can make at a sold out fireworks game...well played!

IowaHawksFan1
07-05-2005, 08:52 PM
That was my second rain delay in a week. I went to the game in Detroit that had a 2 hour rain delay. Because of traffic and delays on the interstate from the way I was coming in I was glad for the delay. We finally arrived at the ballpark 15 minutes before the first pitch. If not for that rain delay we would have missed almost the whole game.

As for last night, that delay really sucked, as we needed to get back home (2 1/2 hours away) for work the next day. We eventually left in the seventh inning. I was able to at least get updates on the situation as I was able to call people I knew watching the game on tv and I gave it to the people around us, but I agree the Sox really need to let the people in the park get an idea on when they plan to start the game.

Skippy
07-05-2005, 09:15 PM
One of the best traffic management moves you can make at a sold out fireworks game...well played!

Thank you sir. I'm just happy that I've learned something from going to Sox games since I was 4 years old. My dad showed me all the little tricks, like getting off at Canal instead of going onto the Dan Ryan, what to pick up at that fish market off of Canal, little stuff I didn't appreciate until now at the ripe ol age of 26.

soxjim
07-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Sat in section 140. I have played softball in rain that fell harder.

TornLabrum
07-05-2005, 11:16 PM

I've been to a lot of rain delays, and unless there is a dangerous thunderstorm iminent, they almost never say anything over the PA.