PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Interested in Clemens!!!

Pulaski
07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Does anyone have the Insider package on www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com/)? There is an article about the Sox interest in Clemens. How huge would that be if we landed Clemens? If we can somehow get Clemens to agree to come the Sox we definely have an outstanding shot at the WORLD SERIES!!!

Please post the article if you have the package.

Rumor Central: White Sox interested in Clemens? (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=7DC722A9-7B12-4202-BF2F-DCA02A14ECAB&addata=1563:54160:162896:54160&drop=1&a=1&goto=http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Beat me to it.....but good work nonetheless!!!

patbooyah
07-05-2005, 08:59 AM
White heat?
<Jul. 5> According to the Daily Southtown, Rogers Clemens is one pitcher White Sox GM Ken Williams would put together almost any package to try to acquire. And source has said that Williams will try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but such a move would help the Sox and also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild-card race.

here you go.

32nd&Wallace
07-05-2005, 09:14 AM
would you give up mccarthy and brian anderson for clemens...i think i would give up whatever for this one year

Pasqua's Posers
07-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Does anyone have the Insider package on www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com/)? There is an article about the Sox interest in Clemens. How huge would that be if we landed Clemens? If we can somehow get Clemens to agree to come the Sox we definely have an outstanding shot at the WORLD SERIES!!!

Please post the article if you have the package.

Rumor Central: White Sox interested in Clemens? (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=7DC722A9-7B12-4202-BF2F-DCA02A14ECAB&addata=1563:54160:162896:54160&drop=1&a=1&goto=http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

agreed-but i believe it is just a rumor.:(:

Pulaski
07-05-2005, 09:29 AM

It is a rumor, but some rumors end up becoming the truth!

If Clemens wants one more ring before he retires, then his best option is the White Sox!

Lip Man 1
07-05-2005, 09:31 AM
"Roger Clemens is over the hill" --Ron Scheuler.

That was almost ten years ago! LOL So much for being 'over the hill.' Seriously though Clemens isn't coming here, he's staying in Houston.

Lip

32nd&Wallace
07-05-2005, 09:32 AM

That was almost ten years ago! LOL So much for being 'over the hill.' Seriously though Clemens isn't coming here, he's staying in Houston.

Lipi don't know. i wouldn't be to surprised if it did happen. remember, clemens did want to come here in 1997 before schu opened his mouth. this was also at a time when he wanted to be closer to his family in texas and ended up going to toronto

ChicagoHoosier
07-05-2005, 09:33 AM
I think the next month will be ABOSOLUTELY CRAZY with rumors. And, given my first year on WSI's message board, I'm sure we'll discuss every one at length! :smile:

Which I have no problem with, but still learning to filter out those rumors that are completely whack from those that may actually have a chance to be something.

Haven't said that, I'd kill to have Rocket here. The question posed, which only one guy gave his opinion on, is would you give up McCarthy AND Anderson for him? I'm not sure I would for just three months. If we had a chance to sign him for next year too, maybe.

jdm2662
07-05-2005, 09:36 AM
What's the score today?

I doubt Clemens is leaving Houston, but I wouldn't mind him here...
________
ASS FRENCH (http://www.****tube.com/categories/150/french/videos/1)

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I refuse to pay ESPN for their tabloid Insider online rag. Over 80% of their rumors never pan out and the ones that do are as obvious as "the Sun will rise in the East tomorrow and the next day and in the foreseeable future."

ChiSoxRowand
07-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Clemens isn't going anywhere. Houston has been playing good lately. If they keep this up the next couple of weeks, they will be looking to add. That being said, if the Astros are out of the race by the deadline there is no doubt that I would give up McCarthy and Anderson(and more) to get him.

Irishsox1
07-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Getting Clemens to come to the White Sox is like bringing Jenna Jameson to your highschool prom.

However, the Sox need another starting pitcher badly. Yes, El Duque will go back on the DL in about a month because of the same shoulder tightness, but the other starting pitcher is needed to replace Contreras. That guy flat out sucks. The guy walks way too many people, he nibbles on the corners, uncorks too many wild pitches and has a knack for serving up homeruns at the worst possible moment. Hopefully, when the Sox make a move, it will involve this guy.

mccoydp
07-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Clemens will go where it is advantageous for him to go; I don't buy into the whole "be at home in Texas" line. He likes winning, and if he thinks he has a chance to go all the way with the Sox, it could happen.

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Getting Clemens to come to the White Sox is like bringing Jenna Jameson to your highschool prom.
Whether that is a good thing or not depends on your gender and orientation.

mdep524
07-05-2005, 10:11 AM
White heat?
<Jul. 5> According to the Daily Southtown, Rogers Clemens is one pitcher White Sox GM Ken Williams would put together almost any package to try to acquire. And source has said that Williams will try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but such a move would help the Sox and also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild-card race. I think the part in bold is the most important. The Astos are only ONE game behind the Cubs right now! They are far from out of the WC race. If they were still in the NLC cellar, then maybe this rumor would have some merit.

balke
07-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Ensberg is superman, Biggio has been good, Berkman has been okay and may get better. They have Oswalt, Clemens, Pettitte and Lidge. I doubt they are selling the season, they are closing in on 2nd in the division and the wild card.

IF Kenny does get Roger, it further proves he's the man.

He gone
07-05-2005, 10:18 AM
would you give up mccarthy and brian anderson for clemens

NO!!!!!

I wouldn't trade them to have Clemens for 3 months. Clemens is no guarantee!!!!!!

TDog
07-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Clemens isn't going anywhere. Houston has been playing good lately. If they keep this up the next couple of weeks, they will be looking to add. That being said, if the Astros are out of the race by the deadline there is no doubt that I would give up McCarthy and Anderson(and more) to get him.

With all the recent hype about the Cubs and their greased path to the NL Wild card "title," has anyone noticed the Astros are only one game behind them? Last year the Astros picked up Beltran when no one gave them a chance. Their fans are going to expect the same is possible this year.

DumpJerry
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
NO!!!!!

I wouldn't trade them to have Clemens for 3 months. Clemens is no guarantee!!!!!!
I second that.

jake27
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
heres another long trade rumor thread :rolleyes: if it was just a rent a player situation, i would go for clemens over the likes of schmidt or possibly k rogers. clemends is awesome, and would help us out big time in the playoffs. im not holding my breath tho

havelj
07-05-2005, 10:21 AM
That blip on ESPN.COM was almost word-for-word from the Daily Southtown's Sox Notes and was written by Joe Cowley.

Jjav829
07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
It's a nice dream, and I'm glad that Kenny is looking into the remote possibility, though I'm sure there are about 10 other GMs that are going to give Purpura a call. I doubt Clemens would want to come here. And like others have mentioned, the Astros are closer to being buyers than sellers. They are only 6 games back in the Wild Card and recent rumors have them looking at Aubrey Huff as they attempt to add another bat to their lineup. They'll probably also look to get another reliever before the deadline. It's going to be tough to get past the Braves and Marlins, but it's still possible because of that great trio of Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte.

White Sox Josh
07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
I really don't see Clemens going anywhere. He wants to stay in Houston for Family reasons and I highly doubt the Astros would be interested in trading for him. Wasn't it in 96 though that Clemens wanted to come to the White Sox because of how good of a pitchers park Comiskey Was.

jake27
07-05-2005, 10:23 AM
NO!!!!!

I wouldn't trade them to have Clemens for 3 months. Clemens is no guarantee!!!!!! it seems like no1 on the boards think anyone is a guarantee. schmidt, might get hurt. clemens, old. its baseball, nothing is guaranteed. anyone can go down at any moment. i can tell you clemens is more of a "guarantee" than contrares or el duque. yeah clemens is not a guarantee, but no1 is. you have to take chances man...

Jjav829
07-05-2005, 10:24 AM
NO!!!!!

No guarantee for what? No, he doesn't guarantee us a World Series championship, but he's just about the closest thing in terms of pitchers. You can't honestly tell me you wouldn't love to see Clemens taking the mound 2-3 times in a playoff series. It's all a dream, but still, I don't see how anyone can say they wouldn't want Clemens.

ATXBMX
07-05-2005, 10:31 AM
So Cowley says we have no chance of getting Schmidt, but that we CAN get Clemens. What a moron.

Cowley 7
WSI 1

If all we want to do is rent a player, I'd rather take my chances on a $10 million Schmidt than a $21 million Clemens. Schmidt wouldn't cost as much in terms of prospects, and his salary wouldn't completely cripple our payroll.

patbooyah
07-05-2005, 10:37 AM
So Cowley says we have no chance of getting Schmidt, but that we CAN get Clemens. What a moron.

Cowley 7
WSI 1

If all we want to do is rent a player, I'd rather take my chances on a $10 million Schmidt than a $21 million Clemens. Schmidt wouldn't cost as much in terms of prospects, and his salary wouldn't completely cripple our payroll.

i think he said it was unlikely, but just that KW would obviously be interested.

kevingrt
07-05-2005, 10:39 AM

I tink it is just a rumor especially because Clemens doesn't really want to go anywhere except maybe New York. And even if he ends up in NY, if he plays next year he'd go right back to Houston. I also don't think the upper-management in Houston would want to trade Clemens. Especially if they are only going to get McCarthy and Anderson.

Clemens I don't think is moving anywhere, unless it's possibly New York. I love hearing about these rumors though.

Except you know the rumors are big when the Cubbie lover himself Bruce Levine talks about it. He might be biased, but he has all the connections in baseball.

Fenway
07-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Here is the Southtown article that started this

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd2.htm

IF and this is a big IF Roger Clemens goes ANYWHERE in 2005 mark my words here on July 5th, it will be BOSTON

Boston offers Roger something that no other team can. With one more win he would become the Red Sox all time winning pitcher. He is currently tied with some guy named Cy Young. :smile: Clemens who is a student of baseball history might love the chance to do that.

(the people who chased him out of Boston are long gone )

But he also has a chance to win another Cy Young award but can only do that if he stays in the NL.

07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I'd love it, but I don't see it happening....Clemens also has in his contract that he doesn't have to travel with the team if he is not scheduled to make a start....now that doesn't mold in with our Chemistry at all....He's got it made Houston, I don't see him leaving. I'd rather have Schimdt because we can have him for 2006 as well....Clemens would be a very expensive rental

dcb33
07-05-2005, 11:12 AM
it seems like no1 on the boards think anyone is a guarantee. schmidt, might get hurt. clemens, old. its baseball, nothing is guaranteed. anyone can go down at any moment. i can tell you clemens is more of a "guarantee" than contrares or el duque. yeah clemens is not a guarantee, but no1 is. you have to take chances man...

Clemens is also more of a guarantee than McCarthy and Anderson. It's unbelievable to me that people wouldn't want to part with those two in order to get the greatest pitcher of this generation. The Sox have a good chance to win it all this year and if part of the future (which isn't even guaranteed) is what it costs to win now, then so be it. I'd trade those two guys for someone like Clemens in a heartbeat.

EDIT: It also amazes me that the only players who are guaranteed to do spectacularly well to some on this board are the slew of so-called can't miss, premium prospects that KW would be foolish and stupid to ever consider trading away.

That said, I don't think Clemens is going anywhere because the Astros aren't out of the race by a long shot. Last year at this time, the Astros were 42-39 compared to this year's 39-42 mark. There's not much difference there, and with the suckfest that is this year's National League coupled with their amazing run last year, they've got to believe they can at least climb back into the race and take the Wild Card. I just don't see the 'Stros trading away their ace and main attendance draw to rebuild if they are even close to contending.

mdep524
07-05-2005, 11:13 AM
As a random rant, I'm sick of hearing how Clemens might go to New York. First of all, the Yankees have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to offer Houston. How could they possibly outbid other teams for anyone this season? The only way the Yankees will acquire a player is if he is wildly overpaid and they agree to take on all of his contract. Preston Wilson comes to mind.

Iguana775
07-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I know it's probably a pipe dream but it would be sweet. I'm not holding my breath, though.

tebman
07-05-2005, 11:33 AM
:rolling:

And the chances of it happening are about the same too, I would guess. Schu had a chance to get Clemens eight years ago and didn't do it. Who knows where we would have been if that had been done?

The Sox should work on realistic options, and Schmidt is realistic.

Soxzilla
07-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Who ISN'T interested in Roger Clemens?

This thread sucks.

Fenway
07-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Of course if Roger goes to team #5 it gives his wife more items to sell

http://debbieclemens.com/bb_bflies.htm

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2005, 11:45 AM

Lip

That was 8 years ago,BTW.

:jaime

"Hey,I did a good job,didn't I??":roflmao: :roflmao:

:keith

"God,do I suck this year".

Rudy Law
07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Stumbled onto this....Imagine that!

White heat?

Steakpita
07-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I'd rather have Oswalt.

Madvora
07-05-2005, 12:00 PM
The same thread has already been moved down to What's the Score

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53450

SpringfldFan
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I don't doubt KW is "exploring" the possiblity, but I wouldn't but much stock into it. I bet if we were flies on the wall and were privy to all the names KW is "exploring" that we probably couldn't handle it.

SFF

SpammySosa
07-05-2005, 12:06 PM
New Red Roof Inn commercial: Chances of Clemens coming to the Sox are remote.

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 12:06 PM
If we got Roger, barring injury we would be UNSTOPPABLE!!! I know this is likely a pipe dream, but it would be great.

balke
07-05-2005, 12:17 PM
As a random rant, I'm sick of hearing how Clemens might go to New York. First of all, the Yankees have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to offer Houston. How could they possibly outbid other teams for anyone this season? The only way the Yankees will acquire a player is if he is wildly overpaid and they agree to take on all of his contract. Preston Wilson comes to mind.

They have Sturtze Wang and Crosby. I think the bank is empty this season for the Yanks though. No pot of cash is that endless.

Soxzilla
07-05-2005, 12:17 PM

:anon:

hold2dibber
07-05-2005, 12:20 PM
The ESPN baseball page has a link to an Insider article concerning the Sox being in pursuit of Clemens. Any ESPN insiders around who could fill us in as to the content of the article? I am not certain that Clemens would want to come here (I don't know if he has a no-trade clause, but I'm sure the Stros wouldn't trade him without his consent anyway), but I am certain that KW will explore every avenue and do everything he possibly can to improve the team. Adding Clemens to the rotation would, obviously, be phenomenal both in terms of improving the team, but also in terms of getting the players, fans and media psyched.

Soxzilla
07-05-2005, 12:24 PM
What's the score?

WhiteSoxFan84
07-05-2005, 12:33 PM
This rumor is worse than the Randy Johnson to the White Sox rumor. At least the Big Unit deal had some chances of coming true.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to to see The Rocket on the Southside, but I refuse to get my hopes up. It won't happen. Besides the fact that he'd probably reject the idea, the Astros won't trade him considering they're just 6 games out of the Wild Card in the NL and know they have a great chance of getting into the playoffs and doing a lot of damage with Clemens, Oswalt, and Pettite. If anything, look for Houston to become buyers and pick up a bat or two. Bret Boone might be in Houston pretty soon.

I'd much rather see the Sox spend A LOT more time on A.J. Burnett. Just don't trade for him unless you get him to ink a long-term deal. Jason Schmidt would also be a delight. Yes, he's been on and off this year, but he has no-hit stuff.

ATXBMX
07-05-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd much rather see the Sox spend A LOT more time on A.J. Burnett. Just don't trade for him unless you get him to ink a long-term deal.

What is the big deal with Burnett? People seem to think he is lights out or something. The fact is, even when he's healthy, he's never won more than 12 games in a season. He doesn't even have a winning record (42-43). The only thing he has going for him is a decent career ERA (3.73), but he can thank his ballpark and the National League for that. He has zero playoff experience. I hope the Yankees trade for him, that will expose how mediocre he really is.

32nd&Wallace
07-05-2005, 01:28 PM

Oh my god - she put a quote of her own next to Abe Lincoln's!!

bennyw41
07-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Although I agree a 3 month rental is stupid, Clemens is about as guaranteed as you can get. He is just plain awesome.

balke
07-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey guys, I heard the Sox are looking into acquiring Pedro martinez and also are in negotiations for Roy Halladay. I'll keep you updated.

Wow... this is both easy and fun to do. You guys should try it, tomorrow these should be in a newspaper somewhere.

MIgrenade
07-05-2005, 02:17 PM
The thing is we already knew the Sox are interested in Clemens because THE WHOLE FREAKIN' LEAGUE IS INTERESTED IN CLEMENS! It's not like KW wasn't thinking about this.

IronFisk
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Okay, just saw this on the ESPN website...

Rumor Central: White Sox interested in Clemens? (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=6130E988-663A-455C-9A6D-65AB390FD1E9&addata=1563:54160:162896:54160&drop=1&a=1&goto=http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors) http://sports.espn.go.com/i/in.gif

and I don't have INSIDER!!! Someone look into this! If true...

ME LIKEY! :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Rocky Soprano
07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53450

StillMissOzzie
07-05-2005, 03:15 PM
That blip on ESPN.COM was almost word-for-word from the Daily Southtown's Sox Notes and was written by Joe Cowley.

So let me get this straight:

1) ESPN Insider is peddling reheated rumors from the Daily Southtown
2) You have to pay extra for this service

Where do I sign?

SMO
:?:

TornLabrum
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Cowley 7
WSI 1

Well, at least we know why Cowley was here chirping last night. He had his own story (read rumor) to promote.

shoota
07-05-2005, 03:54 PM
New Red Roof Inn commercial: Chances of Clemens coming to the Sox are remote.

Like the repeating threads on this subject, that joke has already been done before: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50115&highlight=chances+remote

post #20

rowand33
07-05-2005, 04:46 PM
NO!!!!!

one world series is worth a life time.

if it means getting Clemens, **** BMac and **** Anderson.

samram
07-05-2005, 05:01 PM
So let me get this straight:

1) ESPN Insider is peddling reheated rumors from the Daily Southtown
2) You have to pay extra for this service

Where do I sign?

SMO
:?:

Actually, that's the most professional source I've seen used by one of the "insider" services in quite a while. These days, most of their rumors come from boards like this.

SpammySosa
07-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Like the repeating threads on this subject, that joke has already been done before: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50115&highlight=chances+remote

post #20

And here I thought I was the originator of this joke,along with the following: Robbie Alomar trade rumor jokes,"This thread sucks" and "Teal Police" postings,as well as the idea of using teal for sarcasm. From now on,I will be sure to check the boards prior to posting to make sure you haven't already used a silly joke I planned on using.:rolleyes:

TimChamp
07-05-2005, 05:27 PM
What about this deal: Konerko, BMac, and Anderson for Clemens and cash. Would you pull the trigger on this deal? Of course this would cause us to either play Frank or Gload at 1st base. That way we get Everett back in the lineup. Also, is this a fair deal? I mean, we're gonna lose Konerko anyway and the Astros need someone to replace Bagwell with.

--Champ out

Mickster
07-05-2005, 05:40 PM
What about this deal: Konerko, BMac, and Anderson for Clemens and cash. Would you pull the trigger on this deal? Of course this would cause us to either play Frank or Gload at 1st base. That way we get Everett back in the lineup. Also, is this a fair deal? I mean, we're gonna lose Konerko anyway and the Astros need someone to replace Bagwell with.

--Champ out

Why in the world would they want to replace Bagwell with Konerko for 3 months when they would supposedly be "packing it in" when they ship Clemons? :?:

RallyBowl
07-05-2005, 05:43 PM
On pti that one dude in 5 good minutes says clemens is going nowhere. it's nice to dream, though

buehrle4cy05
07-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't think Clemens is going anywhere, let alone to the Sox. The Astros basically market their team around Clemens, so trading him could deal a big blow to their attendence. Also, Clemens has attatched himself to the city of Houston, so waving his no-trade would be unlikely.

But hey, you never know.:D:

Tragg
07-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Clemens sells tickets (lots of them) and the Astros are in the race - at least to the same extent they were this time last season. The leaders for the wildcard are in the NL east (they will beat each other up) and the Diamondbacks and the Cubs. Astros have a decent chance to make it.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Whether that is a good thing or not depends on your gender and orientation.

Not really, she's a switch hitter.

Optipessimism
07-05-2005, 10:51 PM

--Champ out

You're joking right?

There's no way the Sox mortgage their future for a 3 month wonder who would likely retire or go to another team for his final hurrah next year, with retiring being the most probable. Add that to the fact that he probably wouldn't be willing to come here at all, and even if he did, we would see him every five days until the postseason.

Kenny has done a great job building this club so far, and if he is going to mortgage the future for a chance right now, he's at least going to get a guy who he considers signable. That is what makes the Schmidt rumors so intriguing, because it seems like a move that KW would make.

FORGET about Clemens. I haven't read through all the pages of this thread but I'm sure that it is full of this stuff. It's not happening.

TimChamp
07-05-2005, 11:15 PM
You're joking right?

Of course I am, I'm just trying to find a way to get Frank more time while getting Everett more time as well. I think that's what's best for this team. As much as Konerko has done for us in the past and even in some of the games this year, in my opinion, Konerko does more bad than good for the team. Then again, I am biased considering I am a HUGE fan of the Big Hurt...

--Champ out

sthbndsox
07-06-2005, 12:40 AM
What is the big deal with Burnett? People seem to think he is lights out or something. The fact is, even when he's healthy, he's never won more than 12 games in a season. He doesn't even have a winning record (42-43). The only thing he has going for him is a decent career ERA (3.73), but he can thank his ballpark and the National League for that. He has zero playoff experience. I hope the Yankees trade for him, that will expose how mediocre he really is.

Doesn't that sound like Jon Garland before this season? The only different thing is that, even with his great season, he now holds a career ERA of almost a whole run more at 4.50. I know Jon pitches in the AL, but still....

beckett21
07-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Doesn't that sound like Jon Garland before this season?

I agree.

Makes you wonder sometimes if people actually watch players perform, or just read numbers off of a stat sheet. :rolleyes:

AJ Burnett would be a fine addition to any pitching staff. Any staff. I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed if the Sox got him or Schmidt. I'll take either one.

As far as Clemens goes, if he comes to the Sox I will eat my keyboard. Gladly, too. :redneck

PeteWard
07-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Come on. the Astros claw their way back into the WC chase and then deal Clemens. Impossible

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 02:16 AM
This may be a tad inappropriate, but...

http://www.hitchmagazine.com/image/oj-simpson.jpg
Kill This Thread!!!!!!!

Saying the Sox are interested in Clemens is like saying Pauly Shore is interested in playing the lead role in the next Batman movie. It's not going to happen.

Optipessimism
07-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Doesn't that sound like Jon Garland before this season? The only different thing is that, even with his great season, he now holds a career ERA of almost a whole run more at 4.50. I know Jon pitches in the AL, but still....

No, he's a strikeout pitcher, so that actually makes me think more along the lines of a guy like Kerry Wood. While taking nothing away from the guy, Garland is nothing more than the beneficary of improved defense up the middle, a more experienced catching duo behind the plate, and a little bit of confidence to pitch the ball inside. I'm not saying Burnett can't have a decent career, but he's definately not anything like Garland who is a ground ball pitcher.

chaerulez
07-06-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't like Clemens as a person, and for that reason I don't want to see him on the White Sox. It would be really hard for me to cheer that guy. And I don't think he'd be worth McCarthy AND Anderson, for a player who's going to be a rent a player for 1/2 a season.

spawn
07-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Clemens isn't going anywhere. The Astros are a hot team right now, and are very much in contention for the Wildcard.

harwar
07-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I think Roger C. would be a fool to come back to the AL after doing so well in the NL.
I agree with fenway,though.If he goes anywhere(which i think unlikely) he would go back to boston.

wolf87
07-06-2005, 11:35 AM
ESPN.com has posted an insider link indicating the Sox are interested in trading for Clemens. Can someone with insider tell us the story?

Soxzilla
07-06-2005, 11:37 AM
No.

BeviBall!
07-06-2005, 12:25 PM
What is this ESPN (sp?) of which you speak?

soxfan123
07-06-2005, 07:22 PM
According to ESPN's rumor central, the Sox are on the chase for Roger Clemens. I am not against it if it makes economic sense think of the rotation...
Buehrle, Clemens, Garland, Garcia, Contreras/Hernandez...

Here is the text, it tails off in the end by saying it's probaly not going to happen, but KW is on the trade deadline move again:
White heat?

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but such a move would help the Sox and also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources. The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild-card race.

whitesoxfan
07-06-2005, 07:23 PM
its been beaten to death in What's the Score.

Saracen
07-06-2005, 07:24 PM
What's the Score, dude?

JermaineDye05
what's the socre?

theres already a thread about this

Pasqua's Posers
Hey dude, what's the score?:dtroll:

soxfan123
07-06-2005, 07:33 PM
My apologies, I was just very excited about the article and went straight to a post.

soxfan123
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
NO!!!!!

Neither are Anderson and McCarthy...

jabrch
07-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Hard to say IF it will happen - it is easy to say it won't, the odds are you'd be right. But if I were KW, I'd certainly make my best offer. How nasty would we be in a playoff series with Clemens, Buehrle, JG and Freddy?

Nobody knows for sure if this is possilble or not except Clemens.

Chisox003
07-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Give it up folks, the Astros are tied for 2nd in the Central...
:threadsucks