PDA

View Full Version : A nice ballpark review site...with good comments about the Cell

hsnterprize
07-05-2005, 01:38 AM
I was just surfing the web one day, when I came across Spike's Ballparks (http://www.spikesballparks.com). It's another guy who's travelling across the country to see all the MLB ballparks and such. I read his review of the Cell, and it was actually pretty good. You can read his words for yourself...but for this post, I'll summarize everything. He sat in the upper deck, and he said he was unaware he wouldn't be able to move to the lower seating bowl. However, he not only enjoyed the view he got, but he also enjoyed seeing things like the murals in the UD concourse, and the Bullpen Sports Bar.

He took plenty of pictures, and they're pretty up to date. He, like so many other first-time U.S. Cellular Field visitors, was "pleasantly suprised" with the place. He didn't say anything about the food or Nancy Faust, but overall, he enjoyed himself...and saw a White Sox winner to boot.

I wrote something for his "feedback"; including a plug for WSI. Here's what I said to him...

Hi, I'm a big Chicago White Sox fan, and I was pleased with your review of U.S. Cellular Field. Considering all the bad press the ballpark has received over the years, it's about time people started noticing the good things about the home of the White Sox. No...there are no bars across the street like there are around Wrigley Field. There isn't any ivy on the outfield wall, and the scoreboard is electronic. However, you've stated in your review you had a great time at "The Cell", and you actually got to watch a good Sox game in the process. If I may, allow me to direct you to a website which I believe is the best White Sox fan site on the web. It's "White Sox Interactive"...it's made by White Sox fans for White Sox fans. The URL is http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com . You'll not only find great columns and other historical accounts for the Sox, but you'll also see just how passionate we are towards our team. Unlike our neighbors to the north side, we don't expect the world to feel sorry for us because our team hasn't won a World Series since 1917, and we don't blame a Sox loss on a "goat hex". We just expect our team from top to bottom to put out the best product possible...no excuses. Just put a winning team on the field, and the 2005 White Sox are doing just that. Check out White Sox Interactive when you get the chance, and if you like it, include it in your links list. White Sox fans from all over appreciate your kind words about our ballpark. Enjoy your trip across the country seeing baseball, and here's to the hope of a World Series championship coming home to the south side of Chicago this October.

Check out his site, and drop him a line. Who knows...he may even add a few more good things about the Cell based on what we tell him.

StillMissOzzie
07-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Interesting that he gloats a bit about paying $15 to park at O'Malleys instead of the $17 to park in the USCF parking lots ("$2 more in my pocket"), but had no qualms about forking over $20 to park 2 blocks away from the Urinal.

SMO
:gulp:

TheOldRoman
07-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Eh, not an impressive site. At least he was open minded about the Cell, and gave it the great review it deserved. However, it doesn't really mean much, because he gives EVERYTHING a good review. He praised Tropicana!

skobabe8
07-05-2005, 02:12 AM
I was just surfing the web one day, when I came across Spike's Ballparks (http://www.spikesballparks.com/). It's another guy who's travelling across the country to see all the MLB ballparks and such. I read his review of the Cell, and it was actually pretty good. You can read his words for yourself...but for this post, I'll summarize everything. He sat in the upper deck, and he said he was unaware he wouldn't be able to move to the lower seating bowl. However, he not only enjoyed the view he got, but he also enjoyed seeing things like the murals in the UD concourse, and the Bullpen Sports Bar.

He took plenty of pictures, and they're pretty up to date. He, like so many other first-time U.S. Cellular Field visitors, was "pleasantly suprised" with the place. He didn't say anything about the food or Nancy Faust, but overall, he enjoyed himself...and saw a White Sox winner to boot.

I wrote something for his "feedback"; including a plug for WSI. Here's what I said to him...

Hi, I'm a big Chicago White Sox fan, and I was pleased with your review of U.S. Cellular Field. Considering all the bad press the ballpark has received over the years, it's about time people started noticing the good things about the home of the White Sox. No...there are no bars across the street like there are around Wrigley Field. There isn't any ivy on the outfield wall, and the scoreboard is electronic. However, you've stated in your review you had a great time at "The Cell", and you actually got to watch a good Sox game in the process. If I may, allow me to direct you to a website which I believe is the best White Sox fan site on the web. It's "White Sox Interactive"...it's made by White Sox fans for White Sox fans. The URL is http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/) . You'll not only find great columns and other historical accounts for the Sox, but you'll also see just how passionate we are towards our team. Unlike our neighbors to the north side, we don't expect the world to feel sorry for us because our team hasn't won a World Series since 1917, and we don't blame a Sox loss on a "goat hex". We just expect our team from top to bottom to put out the best product possible...no excuses. Just put a winning team on the field, and the 2005 White Sox are doing just that. Check out White Sox Interactive when you get the chance, and if you like it, include it in your links list. White Sox fans from all over appreciate your kind words about our ballpark. Enjoy your trip across the country seeing baseball, and here's to the hope of a World Series championship coming home to the south side of Chicago this October.

Check out his site, and drop him a line. Who knows...he may even add a few more good things about the Cell based on what we tell him.

Interesting site. The guy is a former Army Ranger. I really liked his photographs from differetn perspectives around the parks, and of things they dont show on TV.

Baby Fisk
07-05-2005, 09:02 AM
He praised Tropicana!
Mercy! What did he say? "Tropicana Field is structurally sound and you can see the field of play from most seats. Good job!" :cool:

Actually, there's some neat photos of USCF. Views that far away fans don't often see.

firejauron
07-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I was going to post about my last experience with a group of mostly Cub fans at the Cell and their feelings about our ballpark. Most had never been to a game at US Cellular. They came away impressed with the food and the facilities and want to go back for some more games. They also found the Sox to be a more entertaining product and want to see more. I'm sure most here would rather they stay stay away, I just found it interesting that they came to the southside with an open mind and didn't let the things the media says about the park affect what they thought. We sat in the very top row of the upper deck and they were very surprised that we were able to see just fine and did not get hit by any airplanes.

peeonwrigley
07-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Someone should let him know that capacity is reduced, and the game was a sell-out.

mweflen
07-05-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree he doesn't have very much on the negative side to say about any of the parks he visited. Yawn. Nice pics, though.

TimoandAaron
07-05-2005, 04:38 PM
in the Tropicana Field, Miller Park descriptions, it said that the wind was 1 MPH:?: :?: :?: :?:

MrRoboto83
07-05-2005, 11:30 PM
I'm gonna have to check out that Bullpen Cafe we have at the Cell!!:gulp:

batmanZoSo
07-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Interesting that he gloats a bit about paying $15 to park at O'Malleys instead of the $17 to park in the USCF parking lots ("$2 more in my pocket"), but had no qualms about forking over $20 to park 2 blocks away from the Urinal.

SMO
:gulp:

I paid 40 dollars to park at Wrigley in a guys alley next to the Taco Bell. The whole experience is a nightmare, I can't understand why everyone loves that place. You have to drive several blocks through the neighborhood from Ashland, which takes forever...then you cram into a space with like 8 inches of door room...then the park is cramped and shady and windy and freezing cold no matter what time of year it is. God what a dump.

The next time I went to the Cell I had a newfound appreciation for the easy access of the expressway, then parking in a nice wide spot across the street for a reasonable price, and then having plenty of room and accomodations in the park with bathrooms, aisles and food stands. At wrigley I didn't even bother to get food from non-vendors because the lines were just ridiculous. And the entire bathroom floor was soaked with piss. I can't imagine being drunk and slipping on that. Dear God!

hsnterprize
07-09-2005, 03:50 PM
"Spike" wrote me back. It was a brief note...but I thought I'd share it with you.

Thanks for the comment on the web site (http://www.spikesballparks.com) . Once my internet service is restored around the 12th, I'll upload the link to the Sox site that you mentioned in your comments. Glad you liked what I had to say about US Cellular Field....

Spike

It's good he's going to include WSI among his site's links. Hopefully, it'll be another avenue where people can see how us White Sox fans are passionate about our team.