PDA

View Full Version : Tribe win again..

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 06:27 PM
The Wahoos are at 45-36 (and still 9.5 behind our Sox). It has been my belief that the Indians will win the AL Wild Card and force us to play Boston or Anaheim in the first round of the DS. Is it officially time to dismiss the Twins and bring back:

:notoons

Optipessimism
07-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't dismiss the Twins at all. I still think they have the better rotation and the better bullpen, even though Cleveland isn't too shabby themselves. Past history says the Twins can always seem to pull out a clutch victory, and I'm not sure I'm sold on Cleveland's ability to be as consistent as Minny in that category yet. Either way, doesn't it kind of make you happy that 4 of the best teams in the AL are in the Central? And even more so that up to this point the Sox have been dominating it?

I guarantee that if you took Detroit or Cleveland out of the Central at the start of the year and put them in the East they would be in the thick of the hunt right now.

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't dismiss the Twins at all. I still think they have the better rotation and the better bullpen, even though Cleveland isn't too shabby themselves. Past history says the Twins can always seem to pull out a clutch victory, and I'm not sure I'm sold on Cleveland's ability to be as consistent as Minny in that category yet. Either way, doesn't it kind of make you happy that 4 of the best teams in the AL are in the Central? And even more so that up to this point the Sox have been dominating it?

I guarantee that if you took Detroit or Cleveland out of the Central at the start of the year and put them in the East they would be in the thick of the hunt right now.

My brother and I had a good conversation on the phone about this...

Brother Burgh: This is good.. gives more respect to the Sox if they dominate an AL Central that sends a WC team.. Shows the division isn't the joke of MLB anymore.

Burgh: Well, since a division winner cannot face a Wild Card in Round One, I'd rather face a WC team like Texas or Baltimore in the ALDS than Boston or Anaheim (be it Minny or Cleveland).

Brother Burgh: ..... Good point.

Optipessimism
07-04-2005, 06:52 PM
My brother and I had a good conversation on the phone about this...

Brother Burgh: This is good.. gives more respect to the Sox if they dominate an AL Central that sends a WC team.. Shows the division isn't the joke of MLB anymore.

Burgh: Well, since a division winner cannot face a Wild Card in Round One, I'd rather face a WC team like Texas or Baltimore in the ALDS than Boston or Anaheim (be it Minny or Cleveland).

Brother Burgh: ..... Good point.

I'd rather face just about anyone but Texas in a short series.

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 07:42 PM

Eh.. we caught Texas when they were hot, teams on fire win games. In a best of five series, I'd rather face Texas than Boston.

Frater Perdurabo
07-04-2005, 09:18 PM

I don't think Texas is going anywhere in 2005, so the Sox shouldn't have to worry about the Rangers. They are like the 2000-2004 White Sox. Lots of power. Not much pitching. They will beat you 12-7 one day, scoring entirely on home runs, then score three runs (all on solo shots) in the next three games. Until they get some decent pitching (which in fairness may come up through their minor leagues in the next 2-3 years) and a consistent offense, they aren't going anywhere. Even if they were to make the playoffs this season, they would be like the 2000 White Sox.

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-04-2005, 10:54 PM
How can you even think about dismissing the Twins!? With one of the best bullpens in baseball, they have proven time and time again that they can win after the all-star break and step up when they need to. Minnesota has won the AL central 3 years in a row and we might not catch up to the Sox but we will win that WildCard spot and look forward to seeing Chicago in the Playoffs.

PAPChiSox729
07-04-2005, 11:04 PM
How can you even think about dismissing the Twins!? With one of the best bullpens in baseball, they have proven time and time again that they can win after the all-star break and step up when they need to. Minnesota has won the AL central 3 years in a row and we might not catch up to the Sox but we will win that WildCard spot and look forward to seeing Chicago in the Playoffs.

This is going to be a fun relationship (though I am guessing it will be short-lived).

:wink:

santo=dorf
07-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Cleveland and the Sox both have better bullpen ERA's, but I do agree with you how the Twins usually have huge second halves.

ATXBMX
07-04-2005, 11:41 PM

:dtroll:

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Don't dismiss the Twins. They always get hot after the break and likely will again, but we are so far ahead I'm not worried. They are likely getting the WC though.

TDog
07-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Eh.. we caught Texas when they were hot, teams on fire win games. In a best of five series, I'd rather face Texas than Boston.

In 2000, the Sox caught Seattle when they were hot. As a matter of fact, if you get the Wild Card team in the ALDS, you're probably going to get a team that's hot because that's what it will take to earn the spot.

I am afraid Oakland will end up as the Wild Card. That isn't my first choice, either. But whoever the Sox would face, I hope they're the hot team going into October.

Lip Man 1
07-05-2005, 01:35 AM
The Twins have made the playoffs three straight years... something the Sox have never done in their history. I'll 'dismiss' them when they are 'officially' eliminated.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2005, 01:57 AM
The Twins have made the playoffs three straight years... something the Sox have never done in their history. I'll 'dismiss' them when they are 'officially' eliminated.

LipVery good point Lip. I think it is very likely that the WC will come out of the Central, which is not what I want to see for an opening round. Going west is never good (although the Sox seem to be handling Anaheim pretty well this year) and Boston with Schilling back is not a good thing.

Yeah, I know the Sox would have to face them eventually, but I'd like to see them get a first round out of the way first.

Banix12
07-05-2005, 02:28 AM

This is kinda off topic and stupid but the thought won't leave my brain. How come playoff series are often called "short series" despite them being longer than any series during the regular season?

I guess it's just another one of those phrases that caught on that really makes no sense.

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2005, 02:32 AM
This is kinda off topic and stupid but the thought won't leave my brain. How come playoff series are often called "short series" despite them being longer than any series during the regular season?

I guess it's just another one of those phrases that caught on that really makes no sense.Because they're short in the big picture. During the regular season, you can lose a bunch of games in a row and still get back into it. It's a 162 game "series."

During the playoffs, you lose four and it's golf clubs time.

Banix12
07-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Because they're short in the big picture. During the regular season, you can lose a bunch of games in a row and still get back into it. It's a 162 game "series."

During the playoffs, you lose four and it's golf clubs time.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

TwinsFanLeft4Dead
07-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Anyone see the Twins at Anahiem game tonight???.. If you did it shows one more reason why MN is and will remain to be a heavy weight contender in the AL. We will take 2 of 3 games. Mark my words!

Banix12
07-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Anyone see the Twins at Anahiem game tonight???.. If you did it shows one more reason why MN is and will remain to be a heavy weight contender in the AL. We will take 2 of 3 games. Mark my words!
:dtroll:

Erik The Red
07-05-2005, 03:55 AM
It was nice knowing you.