PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see PTI just now?

fquaye149
07-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I turned it on at the end and noticed therewas a topic labeled "the big hurt". I wonder if anyone caught it and saw what they were talking about.

JermaineDye05
07-04-2005, 05:11 PM
yeah pretty much some1 emailed asking about franks .222 avg and that 9 of his 14 hits have been homers, asking if we should be happy or worried, pretty much they said it's both, good he's having the power numbers, but bad because he's usually hitting in the .300's but they said it'll prolly balance out by the end of the season

Soxzilla
07-04-2005, 05:18 PM
If the guys goes 2 for 4 tonite, his avg. will probably raise to near .250 levels. Let's wait till he has at least 150 at bats before we start concerning ourselves with avg.

SOXintheBURGH
07-04-2005, 05:20 PM
If the guys goes 2 for 4 tonite, his avg. will probably raise to near .250 levels. Let's wait till he has at least 150 at bats before we start concerning ourselves with avg.

Exactly.. Power numbers are fine for now (Frank is on an absolute TEAR!) Give the man a couple AB (125-200) before you can worry about average and on base to gauge it properly.

Optipessimism
07-04-2005, 05:25 PM

The average doesn't worry me. My only complaint (if I can complain about it at all) is that on several occaisions he has gone after the first or second pitch (and popped it up) in a situation where he either needs to try and draw a walk or advance a runner. But, he still hasn't had a whole lot of AB's either. If he's not playing, he's sitting on the bench. If he's playing, he's sitting on the bench. I still maintain that being a DH has to be the hardest job in baseball to get up for.

SOXSINCE'70
07-05-2005, 11:36 AM
yeah pretty much some1 emailed asking about franks .222 avg and that 9 of his 14 hits have been homers, asking if we should be happy or worried, pretty much they said it's both, good he's having the power numbers, but bad because he's usually hitting in the .300's but they said it'll prolly balance out by the end of the season

Yes.Thomas isn't quite near 100% yet.As that ankle continues
to heal.the BA will go up.So will the RBI totals.Thomas has
always been about BA and RBI's.HR's were never that important
(until the 2000 season,in which he hit 43,he never hit more
than 35 that I can remember).

FedEx227
07-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Hate to sound like a Billy Beane Fanatic...

but people shouldn't concerned with Franks AVG at this point, not enough AB to justify a great average.

But his OBP and Slugging are looking really good for a man who hadn't played in a year.

fquaye149
07-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Hate to sound like a Billy Beane Fanatic...

but people shouldn't concerned with Franks AVG at this point, not enough AB to justify a great average.

But his OBP and Slugging are looking really good for a man who hadn't played in a year.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that almost all of Frank's hits have been home runs.

That's not a horrible thing, and is better than them all being singles, but what that says to me is that Frank's not quite back in the swing of things. A strange thing to say for a man who has 9 HR in like 30 some atbats but hear me out:

The fact is, what those numbers say to me is that Frank is not quite in the groove of hitting. He used to hit everything. Now he really seems to only be hitting balls when the pitcher makes a big mistake. He's only hitting fat pitches. He used to be able to hit his pitch. Since he's such a physical specimen, when he does get a mistake he'll crush it, but he's not really making himself be a hitter.

It's not exactly the Ted Williams "you'll only get one pitch to hit" because he's often times missing hittable pitches...it's that he's only hitting beach balls.

I don't know if that makes any sense. Since he's one of the greatest hitters I've ever seen, I'm sure Frank's going to come around. I just think right now he's not really his old self.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-05-2005, 12:44 PM
At this stage in his career, BA means nothing when looking at Frank Thomas. OBP and OPS is all you need to look at. And maybe SBs. :tongue:

FedEx227
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Frank is better hitting homers and drawing walks, its not like hes capable of getting extra-base hits at this point in his career.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Frank is better hitting homers and drawing walks, its not like hes capable of getting extra-base hits at this point in his career.

Home runs are extra-base hits.

gobears1987
07-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Yes.Thomas isn't quite near 100% yet.As that ankle continues
to heal.the BA will go up.So will the RBI totals.Thomas has
always been about BA and RBI's.HR's were never that important
(until the 2000 season,in which he hit 43,he never hit more
than 35 that I can remember).
Not true, he hit over 40 in 1993 and was on pace for 60 in 1994.

balke
07-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah this was complete crap. Frank's avg. went to .233 with one hit last night, then he had 3 BB's. He also hit a double. Though it looked painful, he can hit extra base hits. that was his second double, and he has 9 hr's. Must've been a slow news day, and another chance to bash Frank even though there's 20 other stars doing TERRIBLE at this point in the season, after playing all season.

I'm not worried about Frank at all. None of you should be either, he was just knocking rust off.

RKMeibalane
07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah this was complete crap. Frank's avg. went to .233 with one hit last night, then he had 3 BB's. He also hit a double. Though it looked painful, he can hit extra base hits. that was his second double, and he has 9 hr's. Must've been a slow news day, and another chance to bash Frank even though there's 20 other stars doing TERRIBLE at this point in the season, after playing all season.

I'm not worried about Frank at all. None of you should be either, he was just knocking rust off.

Agreed. If Frank had been playing since Opening Day, he would be leading the Majors in home runs, and would be on his way to Detroit for the AS Game.

Steakpita
07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
He had a double the other day... S-Pod woulda made it an inside-the-parker easy.

maurice
07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Am I concerned about the big man with the .350 OBP / .677 SLG and a HR every 7 ABs? The guy who projects out to 76 HR / 127 R / 127 RBI over 550 ABs?

Uh, put me down for "no."

balke
07-05-2005, 03:56 PM
He had a double the other day... S-Pod woulda made it an inside-the-parker easy.

Maybe when Scotty hits a ball like Frank does, he'll get the opportunity to. Frank beat out Konerko in a foot race I heard, which is pretty pathetic considering Frank's ankle looks like its going to break every time he steps on it.